Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Special Edition with Brad McQuaid and Chris Perkins - Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Videos - MMORPG.c

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageSpecial Edition with Brad McQuaid and Chris Perkins - Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Videos - MMORPG.com

Last night the crew from the Gamespace Game Show hosted a special event with Brad McQuaid and Chris Perkins who are hard at work on Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. This is the 2-hour plus replay of the event in case you missed it!

Read the full story here

Comments

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Appreciate the in depth answer the my question, was asking more about raids and got that answer and more lol. Awesome!
    Geekymaskedweasel
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The very nature of gaming these days causes a big re-think at launch. All the pre-pay stuff attracts hardcore players who make feedback along those lines. During beta and launch a lot of casual players who have been waiting to see as much of the game as possible before buying into it, then gives feedback about the content. This means changes must be made to accommodate people who didn't participate in the building of the game until it's latest builds. IMO.
    MendelThupliMadFrenchie

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GnogGnog Member UncommonPosts: 19

The very nature of gaming these days causes a big re-think at launch. All the pre-pay stuff attracts hardcore players who make feedback along those lines. During beta and launch a lot of casual players who have been waiting to see as much of the game as possible before buying into it, then gives feedback about the content. This means changes must be made to accommodate people who didn't participate in the building of the game until it's latest builds. IMO.

The players backing Pantheon are a pretty wide mix of hardcore and casual. Many of them (myself included) also don’t want to see Pantheon get watered down or changed to please a wider or more “casual” audience. Regardless I think the alpha and beta (which are pretty accessible) will have a sufficient cross section of players that all of the target audience will be represented to some extent in the development process.
    Octagon7711maskedweaselYukmarcMrMelGibsonThaharAmathe
    edited August 2018
    I hope their target audience will be able to support the game financially. Other games have had problems with this. For what it's worth I like how this game is developing and will continue to watch it and see how it grows.
    jimmywolfMrMelGibson[Deleted User]Thahar

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I hope their target audience will be able to support the game financially. Other games have had problems with this. For what it's worth I like how this game is developing and will continue to watch it and see how it grows.
    They talked about a bunch of things I didn't really realize in that show, and one of them was that they kind of have a general encounter time of about 2 hours to really complete anything of merit. I think that's really interesting because ultra casual players probably won't have time to delve into a 2 hour encounter every single day, but ultra casual players also aren't the type that would want to pay a subscription and stick to a game that requires a heavy group focus and difficult challenges like they said they have been working on in Pantheon.

We see that game genre popularity is kind of cyclical, every now and then a premise pops up that people haven't seen in a while, or that's presented just different enough to feel fresh and it takes off.  I'm hoping that by the time Pantheon releases, it'll be that time for them.  Just hearing how in depth brad and chris are about their answers and their philosophy makes me want to root for them.
    jimmywolfOctagon7711[Deleted User]perrin82MrMelGibsonThupliThaharexhell

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I think they are going to find the mmo climate has dramatically changed. It will take a much greater effort than a 20 year old game design to create an experience that will retain customers in todays world. Good luck to those involved. 
    I think "20 year old game design" is a little out there. I think a lot of people think it's just going to be a repackaged everquest from a long time ago.  I think the premise of the "old school values" revolves more around building a virtual world with a little bit of mystery and old world difficulty, but not necessarily forsaking everything that's happened in the past decade. 

What it will really come down to is how difficult grouping will be and how necessary it will be seeing how large the land masses are and their penchant to reward exploration.  

There are a lot of tropes that games rely on that they said won't be in the game. I'll be interested in seeing how it all plays out in the end,  but it would be wise for nobody to assume that a game MUST innovate for it to be successful. So many games don't and plenty of games are successful, I feel maybe in this case, building their ideal foundation and finding the right niche is more important than making something MMO hoppers will play for a few weeks and then move away from.
    exhell

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    edited August 2018
    They said some more things that made me worried...
    - Arrows being unlimited is bad for a "player driven economy." Arrow crafting should be lucrative.
    - Being able to "dungeon crawl" in brief time increments. Unless they mean your whole team finds a safe spot and camps out for a day, this also seems pretty lame; would it not mean dungeons are shallow?
    - I'm still not happy about their disdain for any instancing, of any kind. Instancing was a solution to a problem nobody liked; they are reintroducing that problem. I continue to believe EQ2 resolved this better than any other game; both open world dungeons and instances. Both contested raids and instanced raids.
    - "Discovering" abilities in the wild. I still don't fully understand what they mean by this. Won't it just be a small tedious addition where once something is discovered, everyone of a certain class will start going to that location and running around in circles until perception finds said ability?
    I want to play this game, but if "poop-socking" becomes a necessity for raiding, I won't stay long.
    Mendel[Deleted User]Thupli
  • DarkintellecDarkintellec Member UncommonPosts: 32

https://i.imgur.com/JSEwu75.png

Lessons learned and an experienced team while it helps, being an agile and efficient developer without falling into the quagmire of scope creep helps as it has ended most every MMO after the first year into cash shop attrition.

Generalized MMOs seem to be dead or dying and the niche are becoming the focus. Unfortunately most of them are rather limited in scope, this being the only one out that isn't stringing the same modern interest loop into mediocrity.

What made the MMORPG great slowly died over time and we'll see if that soul can be revived with the arbiter of that soul and hopefully make up for the Vanguard catastrophe that only recently with officiation from Microsoft and SOE docs do we now know wasn't Brads fault.
    OshomaskedweaselThaharexhell
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    goozmania said:
    - Arrows being unlimited is bad for a "player driven economy." Arrow crafting should be lucrative.
    - Being able to "dungeon crawl" in brief time increments. Unless they mean your whole team finds a safe spot and camps out for a day, this also seems pretty lame; would it not mean dungeons are shallow?
    - I'm still not happy about their disdain for any instancing, of any kind. Instancing was a solution to a problem nobody liked; they are reintroducing that problem. I continue to believe EQ2 resolved this better than any other game; both open world dungeons and instances. Both contested raids and instanced raids.
    - "Discovering" abilities in the wild. I still don't fully understand what they mean by this. Won't it just be a small tedious addition where once something is discovered, everyone of a certain class will start going to that location and running around in circles until perception finds said ability?
    I want to play this game, but if "poop-socking" becomes a necessity for raiding, I won't stay long.
    1 -  Arrows being unlimited is bad 

disagree, wow tried ammo it could be bought off a vendor it added nothing to the game. EQ still has it were you can make or buy arrows it not a staple of anything, just a side thing you buy till you got endless quiver on your ranger.

2 -  Being able to "dungeon crawl" in brief time increments.

their trying to make it playable for all, old school it was not uncommon to wait an hour for a spot then have to push thu trash to get to a camp. so the longer you stayed waiting was better or it cost you xp or chance at a camp. they understand that not everyone is a kid, can play 4+ hrs, is retired.

3 - I'm still not happy about their disdain for any instancing, of any kind.

agree, trusting players to share rare spawns, camps that are good for rep grind or gear  or the rare mobs on a very long respawns to not be  camp 24-7 by the elite few is bad for long term. 

4 - "Discovering" abilities in the wild.

this can be mediocre gimmick or really good. let say all ranger get frost shot but only those that "found" poison shot have that, nothing game breaking just new skill.

they could even just make it were select base skills  get lower mana cost or a secondary effect depending on if you found rare trainers. or take  that a step further  keep getting stacking effects that get better depending on how many rare trainers you found in world to encourage travel. 

5- but if "poop-socking" becomes a necessity  for raiding

"Poopsocking" is when a video gamer is so engrossed in his game, he won't stop playing for any reason, even to go to the bathroom — so he'll poop in a sock.

had to look that up gross... and odd pick of slang, since it is posted as a positive of not wanting to stop playing but i understand and agree. i once raided in EQ for 10 hrs for a chance at a drop in a raid that i lost the roll on before, depressing times. 

perrin82Octagon7711Thahar

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I think they are going to find the mmo climate has dramatically changed. It will take a much greater effort than a 20 year old game design to create an experience that will retain customers in todays world. Good luck to those involved. 
    Im thinking Brad has some innovation left in him...Vanguard was pretty different from EQ..... Nonetheless pretty much all the videos I have seen of Pantheon scream Everquest.
    itchmonMendelperrin82Octagon7711Thahar
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    This kind of top down view is not very Everquest or Vanguard, more Neverwinter.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    im afraid of lack of QoL changes that mmorpg have made (and for that i dont mean babysitting players like some games do)
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

I sort of agree, but at the same time non of the current games on MMO market could retain me as a customer either so...
    ThupliSovrathThahar
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Eq1 progression servers figured out that having 1 or 2 guilds squat on all the raid targets and dungeon camps 24.7 gets frustrating for everyone else. Their solution of instances populating as population dictates (for dungeons) and agent of change (for raids) was actually kinda elegant and i thought it saved the progression server experiment.

Hope VG takes notice.

The biggest task set before the VG team is to work out which nostalgia features made the game endearing, and which were something we tolerated because wtf else were we gonna play?
    jimmywolf[Deleted User]ThupliThahar

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• GnogGnog Member UncommonPosts: 19

Scot said:

The game is playable in first person. It’s not a top-down game like Neverwinter at all. You just have the option to scroll your camera out for a third-person view if you want it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Man,some of the questions give me a cringe moment.
    Like a question about reaching max level.If that is your goal in a rpg is to get max level,you are a very superficial gamer.This is sadly the direction of gamer's of late,superficial ideals and nothing in depth.
    Even the idea of "digging in deep"to get a buff for your mage is a weak idea at BEST.The game should offer a variance,a level of THINKING instead of take one line of magic and just go ahead and spam it until the buff gets bigger and bigger.

The only logic i can think of here is they were trying to find a new way to twist the simple idea of SKILL/levels.The idea of skills has been tested for years and it just works and makes sense.There idea is a mage could have cast say a fire spell 5 million times but won't be as effective when compared to casting it 3x a row without switching over.To me it does NOT make sense and i really don't think the idea is very good.

RAID zone,this is again targeting a superficial crowd,the WOWish type gamer.Once you go down this path the game becomes a VERY linear game where everyone wants those raid zones because they offer the best gear.This will 100% happen and ruin everything else the game might offer.

The very next question asked "is it about the journey"?I just answered that,raiding will turn the game into nothing more than raiding first,everything else a distant second.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited August 2018
    The one ideal that made sense that i liked very much is when Brad mentions that RACING to end level will not be a good idea because you will be ill equipped.Whatever that means overall as far as scope of the end game and gear/combat design is yet to be known .
    Mentions content for everyone,yes i know every dev says this but if Raiding is the best option then guess what?The guess what is the entire rest of the non raiding community is alienated.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

They talked about a bunch of things I didn't really realize in that show, and one of them was that they kind of have a general encounter time of about 2 hours to really complete anything of merit. I think that's really interesting because ultra casual players probably won't have time to delve into a 2 hour encounter every single day, but ultra casual players also aren't the type that would want to pay a subscription and stick to a game that requires a heavy group focus and difficult challenges like they said they have been working on in Pantheon.

We see that game genre popularity is kind of cyclical, every now and then a premise pops up that people haven't seen in a while, or that's presented just different enough to feel fresh and it takes off.  I'm hoping that by the time Pantheon releases, it'll be that time for them.  Just hearing how in depth brad and chris are about their answers and their philosophy makes me want to root for them.

I was going to comment about that also. They were going for six man groups with a two hour mission time. It won't hold up as putting together even three person groups can be really hard. Unless you're in a tight guild putting together groups can take a long time. Not to mention what happens when a person leaves and you end up with five people doing six man content for two hours. Luckily it's still early and I'm sure changes will be made.
    maskedweaselMrMelGibsonThahar

edited August 2018

Wizardry said:

The one ideal that made sense that i liked very much is when Brad mentions that RACING to end level will not be a good idea because you will be ill equipped.Whatever that means overall as far as scope of the end game and gear/combat design is yet to be known .

Mentions content for everyone,yes i know every dev says this but if Raiding is the best option then guess what?The guess what is the entire rest of the non raiding community is alienated.

I've done that in games in the past. Just went from grinding spot to grinding spot until you hit max level. You end up at max level without the gear you would've gotten by following the quest line which awarded good gear. I just went back and did the main story line, skipping all the side quests. I actually saved time by grinding and cutting out side quests. Now I pretty much just take my time and do the quests as end game is usually not a big thing, just rinse and repeat of getting good gear or doing new DLC and expansions.

Wizardry said:
    Well one thing that's important is, the journey is a big part of the game, so much so that the Progeny system essentially is built for rerolling characters and making them stronger, but requiring the player to start all over to do so.  While kind of just an MMO trope that we've seen, this one is at least done with the idea of progression and making newer, stronger characters.  

It's interesting that they didn't even really talk about it, and I think that's partially because they really only just finished getting out all the classes, so that's where their focus was.

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    I have been very skeptic so far but this is the first time when I actually feel that they are actually getting somewhere. This might be fun, old fashioned but fun. I would say camping issues are my biggest concerns at the moment.
    maskedweaselThahar

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    goozmania said:
    - I have never found buying basic arrows to be anything more than way to waste time and just more of a money sink for a class that relies on them for basic attacks. I have had Rangers in FFXI run out and have to leave to go buy stacks again and what a giant waste of time it felt like. The money sink also kept me away from it. Special arrows i can understand (elemental, debuff, blood..ect) because the money sink gets you an advantage on basic attacks.

- Brief crawls im not sure about, but so is no-body else yet so it's more of a wait and see what that really entails.

- I personally don't like instancing in most cases, mostly because modern MMOs have made everything instances. I am hoping they make some things that become total pains be able to become instances if they become a problem and people speak up about it. Otherwise i much prefer as much open world as they can, but personally i don't mind having both.

- The discovering abilities like another person said could just end up being a gimmick at worst or an interesting addition at best. I do hope its not for a large portion of them, but if its another way to get people going places and is not a giant pain in the butt im fine with it.

Honestly most of what you listed to me at least are not big issues and can mostly be easily resolved, so for now im going to wait and see what later testers have to say,
    I remember having to buy something like ten thousand arrows in L2 to carry them around. Not fun. Eventually they cut that part out.
    Greatness[Deleted User]KnyttaThahar

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Gnog said:

Scot said:

The game is playable in first person. It’s not a top-down game like Neverwinter at all. You just have the option to scroll your camera out for a third-person view if you want it.
    Thanks for that, I thought I had seen some over the shoulder videos in this game, just not following the in development MMOs enough to be sure.