Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yes, It IS Coming to Switch - Here's the Proof - Diablo 3 Videos - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    What a P.O.S console the switch turned out to be. I mean im sure its fantastic if you are 12 and take it to the beach during summer break to play all the games on the go but are there any actual working adults who are playing this thing on their lunch break? I'm not trying to be a dick but there are barely any original games released for this paper weight. You want to know the worst part, Nintendo doesnt even have the decency after all this time to release a goddam Retro arcade, I dont want to play the obnoxious Arcade mario bro's i want the NES version!!!
    MikehaMrMelGibsonTheScavenger
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited August 2018
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:

lahnmir said:

Great news for the Diablo fans who own a Switch...  For the roughly 86% of Diablo fans who don't: better luck next week!

Finally, now I am a minority too. So THATS how it feels, hmmmm

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I gotta wonder how much the Asian market fueled this port.  From what I understand, the Switch is much more popular in the Asian markets than here in America (assuming you're in America only because I have no other info to suggest somewhere else).

Unless the ESA classifies the switch as something other than a dedicated handheld device, their 2018 report suggests it's a small portion of American gamers.  Not that there's anything wrong with it, just that it would be surprising if Activision was really somehow pursuaded to let Blizzard pursue not just one niche endeavor (Classic), but two.

I am Dutch actually but MadDutchie just doesn't have that vibe.

I am not so sure about Asian focussed though, as far as I know the Switch is wildly popular in Europe too, its a massive hit worldwide.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    My apologies then!  And thanks for the info, I didn't know it was a popular device in Europe.

Those two markets alone could make it profitable for Blizzard considering the costs for making the game itself have already been recouped.

The time article suggests otherwise. It's the fastest selling console in the US with 5M sales as of  January of this year. Maybe EA meant it's not popular with people who like loot crates and Games as a Service. :lol:

Also, according to a Twitter post it only took 9 months to port D3 to Switch and a Blizz dev hinted other titles may follow.
    My comments regarding its popularity come from ESA consumer reports that show only roughly 14% of Americans play games on a dedicated handheld device.

http://www.theesa.com/about-esa/essential-facts-computer-video-game-industry/

Page 5 of the 2018 report lists gaming platforms used by Americans.  36% of folks play a console, and 41% game on a personal computer.  41% seems high for PC, but without information to the contrary one has to assume many folks who play browser games are included in that number as it is worded as "how many US households play games on the following devices:".

Technically, that means the survey misses out on anyone who owns a device like Switch but, for some reason, doesn't play games on it.  But I can't imagine that would be high enough to be of any significance.

edited August 2018
    Torval said:
    The Switch is not a dedicated handheld or a dedicated console. It's both and frequently used that way.
    Which I've mentioned elsewhere may affect how it's classified.  However, considering this was a survey, unless the ESA clearly defined the Switch, that was left up to the survey taker to decide.  How many do you suppose would classify the Switch as a dedicated console over a dedicated handheld device?  Do you truly think that number is significant enough to sway the ESA report in any meaningful way?  It's shown that dedicated handheld is less than half that of consoles.  Do we really think that many folks identify the Switch as a console device instead of a handheld device?

EDIT- also, when we consider that 5 million units is only approximately 1.5% of the US population, the idea that a misclassification is hiding a significantly higher number seems even less likely.

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    "Portable" as long as you have access to a Wi-Fi connection since Switch doesn't have cell phone access. makes me think the 2 playing in the car are playing local co-op? Can I play off-line? Also, Diablo 3 Requires a Nintendo Switch Online Subscription for Online Co-Op.
    Offline mode would be great but I'm afraid loot rolls are done on the server side. At least on PC they are handled by the server I think. Anyways all modern phones can share their internet connections acting as password protected wifi hotspots so I guess the Switch can connect to the servers anywhere if you have mobile internet on your phone. I wouldn't play hard core mode on a wireless connection though.
    MadFrenchie
  • tomahawk1930tomahawk1930 Member UncommonPosts: 43

Finally fulfilling the wish of those that always dreamed of playing Diablo on the crapper.

I'm a simple man with simple needs.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    This move confirms D4
    edited August 2018
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    The Switch is not a dedicated handheld or a dedicated console. It's both and frequently used that way.
    Which I've mentioned elsewhere may affect how it's classified.  However, considering this was a survey, unless the ESA clearly defined the Switch, that was left up to the survey taker to decide.  How many do you suppose would classify the Switch as a dedicated console over a dedicated handheld device?  Do you truly think that number is significant enough to sway the ESA report in any meaningful way?  It's shown that dedicated handheld is less than half that of consoles.  Do we really think that many folks identify the Switch as a console device instead of a handheld device?

EDIT- also, when we consider that 5 million units is only approximately 1.5% of the US population, the idea that a misclassification is hiding a significantly higher number seems even less likely.
    You missed the part where that 5M in the time period is a record. It is more than any other console version sold in US history. So you could argue that consoles are insignificant but you can't argue that the Switch isn't that popular in the US with console gamers. If the next Xbox or Playstation sells this well both Sony and Microsoft will proclaim it like they invented sliced bread.
    It may be a record, but the facts remain that widespread adoption in the US still isn't a thing close to the adoption of regular consoles.  If it continues to sell that well, that could change.  Remember that 14% reported includes all handheld devices, not the Switch specifically.  It's still a niche market compared to the traditional consoles, though Xbox would surely love to see some sales pick up to that level, considering PS4s outnumber them around 2:1 worldwide, currently.  PS4 also sold around 2.5 million more units in the US at the end of last year if VGChartz can be believed:

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/271063/ps4-vs-xbox-one-vs-switch-usa-lifetime-salesnovember-2017/

In fact, those numbers show that the PS4, in its age, still outsold the Switch as recently as November of last year.  Sales actually went up compared to the prior year for both Xbox and PS4.

Again, the Asian and European markets could be markedly different.  But in the US, the PS4 is still king, Xbox is still wishing it were the PS4, and the Switch seems to be making its best mark by attempting to distance itself from the other two in terms of gamng experience, not by competing with them directly through multi-platform titles.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Yeah I am excited for this. I have A LOT of time between the pc and ps4 versions, but will likely make the switch version my main. D3 is the perfect game to play mobile on the switch!
    Nintendo is the Rocky of the gaming world. No matter how many times they get hit, they keep punching. The Switch is a monster console and a disruptive force in the console market. It is everything fans wanted the Wii U to be and more. The fact that it has sold so well across the world in a very short period of time is impressive. The console released just last year and has gone toe to toe with the other two consoles in the market which have been out since 2013.
    Considering the impressive numbers already put up by Nintendo, the Switch will continue to sell at an amazing pace. 
    Pretty funny that about 50% of developers thought the Nintendo Switch would struggle to sell more than the Wii U did. 
    Proving once again that Nintendo has never been shy about trying to innovate the gaming space and when they get it right they are capable of amazing things. 
    They've proven that console success doesn't merely mean "Our games run better and look prettier than yours!" which has been way too large a focus for Sony and Microsoft.  Hopefully between this and the popularity of Fortnite (which isn't winning any graphics awards), Microsoft and Sony will begin to look towards innovation in areas other than horsepower.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

"Portable" as long as you have access to a Wi-Fi connection since Switch doesn't have cell phone access. makes me think the 2 playing in the car are playing local co-op? Can I play off-line? Also, Diablo 3 Requires a Nintendo Switch Online Subscription for Online Co-Op.

The good news is that the cost for Nintendo sub services is like $9.99 a year. So while it's a bit annoying, it's at least very cheap.
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다