Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you do an MMO afterlife?

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    They had some interesting ideas in Black Mirror like making a virtual duplicate of a person to use as a home assistant, or creating multiple simulated dating situations lasting for virtual years until the simulation found the right person for you. 

I wonder how many people would be able to live with an exact duplicate of themselves?
    I'd wonder when that exact duplicate of myself would "wake up" and realize it no longer wanted to be a home assistant.
    Silvantor
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    DMKano said:
    Perhaps life and death are more complex then our understanding of it.  Energy isn't created or destroyed, it just changes into another state.  Scientist use to say there was nothing there until they developed the instruments which allowed them to see further then their natural senses allowed.

In some of the games I've played they did have some very nice little villages, nice and peaceful.  Especially after you cleared out all the evil.

I respectfully disagree. Life and death are clearly understood cycles of living organisms. Life is not the same as energy that can't be destroyed - the atoms and molecules that are building blocks of living organisms do persist, but the organism does not.

The laws of conservation of energy apply to physics not life.

Its unfortunate that a lot of the spiritual/religious and new age teachings have completely taken the law of conservation of energy out of context to somehow apply to "life/living organisms" having everlasting existence. This is sadly not what is meant at all - life is not included by science in this equation. 

I have no problem with people having their own views.  Whatever helps people make it through life without harming themselves or others works for me.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I used to fantasize about living in the Anarchy Online world. Its 3000 years into the future and all humans have nanos and implants that would pretty much make you super human today. 
    Sovrath said:
    They had some interesting ideas in Black Mirror like making a virtual duplicate of a person to use as a home assistant, or creating multiple simulated dating situations lasting for virtual years until the simulation found the right person for you. 

I wonder how many people would be able to live with an exact duplicate of themselves?
    I'd wonder when that exact duplicate of myself would "wake up" and realize it no longer wanted to be a home assistant.
    That's the interesting part.  They were told at the beginning they were a duplicate and not the real person.  They were resistant to the idea and the operator used torture basically to force them to comply.  The AI was placed in solitude for virtual months and then years until they were broken and wanted to be assistants because there was nothing else to do. 

Interesting idea but I think it would be like the movie 'Her' in which the AI would communicate more with the person and other AIs. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Saw this on Black Mirror.  They have a VR world you can visit.  It seems for the terminal only.  You can also upon death be uploaded there.  There only seemed to be a paradise world beach world with different time era's.

Assuming that your literal consciousness is being uploaded and not copied... would you want to be uploaded a VR gaming network at death?  
    Depends on the MMO.

In a game like Second Life where all we do is craft, chat, and have sexual role play encounters, that could be pretty good.

In a game like Day Z.. not so much.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Sovrath said:
    Absolutely not! What Jean Luc Picard said.

I'd rather be uploaded to a robot body.
    The problem with this ideas is that you are contained to the finite resources of the body, it would, given our modern world, become inevitable that your "mind" would be uploaded into a Ethernet/Internet cloud-like system, and simply "Linked" to a body for you to move in.

In that event, a digital world would be easier to create senses in, like taste, touch, smell, sound, sight, as they could simply be programmed into the world system, where a robot body would require all kinds of exterior input devices and systems to gather those senses from the existing world.

A robot body would nice to see the world again in.. but equally so.. a person would be able to enjoy a steak in a digital world.

Something to ponder.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Whatever scientific tech they find, I hope it's penis reduction, so I can finally wear normal pants...

...but seriously folks, this series made me re-think the "life after" answer: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37702791-bobiverse?ac=1&from_search=true

Would I want to live millennia and watch those I love die away, maybe some of them, but others would be heart-wrenching to watch, or maybe it wouldn't if we all went along for the ride together.

Scientists just discovered the "Speed of death," so who knows what we can learn and do when we start breaking down life mechanics like this.

Would it be God that allows us to find these solutions in the first place? How long does Eve have to serve her penance for eating The Apple?

I just hope we humans learn NOT to knock around with tools we accidentally learned to make, accidentally unmaking everything...

I tend to use electricity and OTC drugs and other tech that they release to the populace, so I'm assuming I'd use nanobots to prolong my life also, if they came out with them. Of course, I'd wait a generation or 2 until they worked out the kinks, but then I'd def adopt and use them!

I'd have to decide if I wanted Android bots or Apple bots though.....some things never change.

Gut OUuuuuuuuuttttttt!

What, me worry?

Amathe said:
    So how long before the VR gaming company that uploaded me closes up shop? 10 years? 25 years? That sounds like a pretty brief afterlife. 

Also, what happens when my VR world bugs out? Now I am in some perpetual nightmare that I can't awaken from while I wait for some tech to fix my world. 
    That's like asking how long before I get an incurable disease, die from second hand smoke, drown, get killed in robbery, thinking about it like that there are probably millions of ways.  Would you get your consciousness transferred if something like that happened to you and it could be done, sort of as an insurance policy?

So everything boils down to, would you take the blue pill or the red?

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Amathe said:
    So how long before the VR gaming company that uploaded me closes up shop? 10 years? 25 years? That sounds like a pretty brief afterlife. 

Also, what happens when my VR world bugs out? Now I am in some perpetual nightmare that I can't awaken from while I wait for some tech to fix my world. 
    That's like asking how long before I get an incurable disease, die from second hand smoke, drown, get killed in robbery, thinking about it like that there are probably millions of ways.  Would you get your consciousness transferred if something like that happened to you and it could be done, sort of as an insurance policy?
    That's not how I see it. If I were going to participate in some type of electronic afterlife, I would want guarantees of a very, very long happy afterlife. That differs from my current existence which so far as I know I didn't choose, and that I take as it comes. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:

The problem with this ideas is that you are contained to the finite resources of the body, it would, given our modern world, become inevitable that your "mind" would be uploaded into a Ethernet/Internet cloud-like system, and simply "Linked" to a body for you to move in.

In that event, a digital world would be easier to create senses in, like taste, touch, smell, sound, sight, as they could simply be programmed into the world system, where a robot body would require all kinds of exterior input devices and systems to gather those senses from the existing world.

A robot body would nice to see the world again in.. but equally so.. a person would be able to enjoy a steak in a digital world.

Something to ponder.
    meh, I'll just take the body. I think you are correct that the mind would be uploaded to some sort of cloud system should the body get hit by a truck.

But I think I'd prefer "being in a body" and experiencing real people in the real world over some sort of "created" artificial world.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Seems like there is obvious ethical issues with such ideas. Would be terrible to upload people to Hell online. :)
    AmatheSovrath
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    iixviiiix said:
    Yes ,
    i want to see how the world become in future , to 2100 and 2200 . i hope i live long enough to see the sci-fic become true . Then maybe i will rest in peace at that time lol , the curious is one reason worth to keep you alive .
    Serious question: how do you know this won't already be the case without any sort of technological deus ex machina?

I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible, although this isn't a popular thing to say on the internet nowadays. Just look at the phenomena of near death or psychedelic experiences; these have much to teach us about liminal states, without any particular religious leanings. 
    I think some of those things are just the dying brain.  I doubt any afterlife will involve your sense and maybe even your consciousness.  Those are things of your body.  
    Most psychologists would likely agree.  There are some notable departures, however, such as the fledgling "integrated information theory" which doesn't require a human brain for consciousness.  It also depends on what we mean by consciousness.  As with Jung, you also have the Ego bound up in there, somewhere.  So... it's not just a wakeful state but meta-cognition; the way I experience sitting at a chair, typing at a keyboard, my thoughts about what I'm typing.

I don't know if artificial consciousness is possible, and I'm also not convinced that consciousness is wholly of my body.  If I can fall back on rationalism (again): my intuition has been for many years that I am part of a system that includes my body but is not limited to it.  I don't think that the "brain in a jar" scenario is quite possible; reality as perceived is somewhat dependent on subjective consciousness.  This sounds self-evident, but if you break down the materialist argument that consciousness arises completely as a result of neural activity then there must be an objective reality that is completely independent of consciousness.  Reality, then, wouldn't "care" whether anyone observes it.

...see for yourself whether this is the case.
    This goes against how your personality shift with physical and chemical changes.  Growth mentally is effected the same way.  

I guess an all powerful god could create an perfect afterlife with senses.  Just seems hard to balance everyone's personality.  God would have to be the best MMO creator of all time to please the billions that have past.  It would be easier make everyone in a state of bliss and peace.
    Phaserlight
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The reason I wouldn't want to live on forever  is the physical and mental degradation that is bound to occur as I get of old age.  With those obstacles removed I don't see why I would want to cease to exist 50 years into the future.

I would rather want to be in good physical and mental shape even if its just in a simulation than be a vegetable or a rotten corpse in the real world.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    If you were like an actor who had breaks and pay between stints as an NPC, that could be cool.  But I'd be unhappy if it was a g-rated, sex-doesn't-exist situation lol.
    Phaserlight
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    I'd be more interested in afterlife of MMOs - ie. stories, gossips analysis of the leadup to an MMO's failure and what happens to the people who worked on it after the MMO has expired. Reading about disasters of others is always more entertaining, lol.

An MMO of afterlife, that just more of the same dragging on of life itself... what's the fun in that? It is probably better off to let stuff end.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Sovrath said:

If it is any duplicate of mine, it would do it the very first day. Can I have a Lea Seydoux duplicate instead? 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Seems like there is obvious ethical issues with such ideas. Would be terrible to upload people to Hell online. :)
    Yeah specially after we've been playing the Hell offline for so many years. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • NyteWytchNyteWytch Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Some great points brought up here about the morality of it and life having an "end". Plus I might be a little worried about what corporate types might want to do with me. Would they be using me to farm credits?!?

But...this might be one way I finally get through my steam backlog.  :D
    Phaserlight
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    No. As scary as the thought of death can be sometimes, we're meant to move on to something else. Our brief existence on this little blue ball of ours is just one part of something far, far greater. 

Besides, it would just be a copy living its own existence. Our consciousness would still move on. Though such a place would be interesting for future generations to see what their ancestors were like, or to meet famous historical figures. I'd give everything I own for a ten minute conversation with Thomas Jefferson, Yi Sun-sin, Abraham Lincoln, MLK Jr., Andrew Jackson, Martin Luther, or any of a hundred more influential people throughout history. 
    Phaserlight

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:

Something to ponder.
    meh, I'll just take the body. I think you are correct that the mind would be uploaded to some sort of cloud system should the body get hit by a truck.

But I think I'd prefer "being in a body" and experiencing real people in the real world over some sort of "created" artificial world.

But that is the main point, you wouldn't feel a real world, it would at best be a simulation derived from sensors, and then converted into a means you would recognize.

Not to mention that the body itself would be vastly limited, as I highly doubt they would put in sensors on your whole body so you could feel all things you feel now in your flesh and blood body, as such, there would be huge patches of your body that would feel dead. Not to mention there would, I would wager, no way for you to feel pain, strain, or even physical exhaustion 

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    I know myself well enough that my upload self would be an interesting mix of laughing and thankful to myself.  Totally a form of suicide.

Frankly the people that do upload themselves will probably be a little sick...  as in they waited so long that they will have an eternity of Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and similar before them.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

anemo said:
    I know myself well enough that my upload self would be an interesting mix of laughing and thankful to myself.  Totally a form of suicide.

Frankly the people that do upload themselves will probably be a little sick...  as in they waited so long that they will have an eternity of Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and similar before them.
    but would that transfer over, since the cause (IE: the physical problem of the body) is no longer there, wound't the ailments also go away?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It wouldn't be me doing it.

If it were sophisticated enough it might think it's me but it still wouldn't be. So good luck to it but as for me, so long and thanks for all the fish.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Ungood said:
    anemo said:

but would that transfer over, since the cause (IE: the physical problem of the body) is no longer there, wound't the ailments also go away?
    Those are mental ones or at least affect nerve tissue.   If they don't carry over you're not just a copy but a changed one.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."