Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

QuakeCon 2018 - Fallout 76 and Fan Q&A - Fallout 76 Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageQuakeCon 2018 - Fallout 76 and Fan Q&A - Fallout 76 Videos - MMORPG.com

During today's Fallout 76 panel, fans got a firsthand look at how the game plays. In addition, developers took time to answer a number of questions from the audience.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited August 2018
    Well .. i could see the 2x reward system for revenge being exploited, And the harsh ( and unfair) PK mechainics will essentially turn the game into a PVE servers.. Which alot of people want anyway .. Thats my initial reaction , guess we need to see more as they move forward.... Or another thought , what would stop the Red Star from having a group of friends lying in wait hiding at his Loc as the more players are drawn to that spot .. Could also be exploited .. seems...
  • ScarranScarran Member UncommonPosts: 102
    My initial impression is that I liked alot of what they said but with these card packs im still hesitant on the game until I find out more info on them. For instance my main concern is wither they are ingame only or something that people can buy via a cash shop.

I am always skeptical when it comes to games with card packs as they are open to companies abusing them by pulling an EA. With all the stigma surrounding rng loot boxes, I hope this is not the industries way of altering their tactics by using card packs instead.
    EmbededPower
  • darkheartsdarkhearts Member UncommonPosts: 159
    One of the devs tweeted the packs will be given via level up when someone asked if you can buy them. He didn't say "no you can't buy them" so idk...
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Watching their sales job on the fun of online and PVP I felt like I was watching someone who has just discovered that water is wet and is really excited to share this with us and then sell us some of that wet water.

[Deleted User]Slapshot1188HarikenStjerneodd
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    If this turns into some form of LootBox I'll be super disappointed and give it a hard pass.

Hope not!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Wait, is this a card game?

I'm kidding
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    On the fence. I want this to be great, but I'll keep my analysis on how they monetize the game.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    If you can buy those card packs then this is almost exactly the same as Battlefront's old system.

It will not go down well.
    Slapshot1188
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited August 2018
    I don't see any other reason to have a card system other than as a money making tool with the infamous RNG doling out 1% chances for the most powerful cards that incidentally can only be found in the cash shop as the ones you get leveling up will likely be minor upgrades in comparison.

• MowzerMowzer Member UncommonPosts: 78
    That double speak though!!!...When asked about the private servers.

To me, the hardest part for them(and it showed via his twisted speak) is keeping a way to monetise the game while allowing modding via private servers.
    Look at it from their perspective, modding pretty well nullifies any micro transactions as the communtiy will almost certainly make any and everything better than they ever could.
    Ive no doubt they will hold off on private servers/modding as long as they can. They will want to milk that cow thoroughly before letting the modders loose on it.
    SolancerScotHariken
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    Give them an inch they take a mile, we accepted cash shops and now they want us to play games as a service. Accept that and the next revenue system will include signing over your first born. Seriously, there is no end point here they will just charge more and more and more.
    Solancer
  • Kr3senKr3sen Member UncommonPosts: 45

Scot said:

Give them an inch they take a mile, we accepted cash shops and now they want us to play games as a service. Accept that and the next revenue system will include signing over your first born. Seriously, there is no end point here they will just charge more and more and more.

Except Pay2Win always dooms your game to a niche, there are plenty of examples out there.

Also, these types of survival games dont ever do well either. Every time you just have a small minority that affectively bullies most players out of the game. Its the reason why games like RUST, ARK, etc all insted of growing over time started losing player at a crazy rate after the initial hype faded. The average player just wont bother playing if it takes weeks to built something that can be destroyed in a matter of minutes.
    I bet same thing will happen with 76, initially the game will do very well becouse of the hype surrounding it being a Fallout/Bethesda game but by next year itll be like the game never even existed.
    Panserbjorne39
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I can see a guild of murderers being a thing in this game.
    [Deleted User]
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    He seemed surprised that the only applause he got was when he talked about how to kill griefers. The majority hates non-consensual PvP. This is even more so for a traditionally single player franchise.

Joined - July 2004

• EmbededPowerEmbededPower Member UncommonPosts: 11

Scarran said:

My initial impression is that I liked alot of what they said but with these card packs im still hesitant on the game until I find out more info on them. For instance my main concern is wither they are ingame only or something that people can buy via a cash shop.

I am always skeptical when it comes to games with card packs as they are open to companies abusing them by pulling an EA. With all the stigma surrounding rng loot boxes, I hope this is not the industries way of altering their tactics by using card packs instead.

They literally said they are in the game. You get one every 2 levels up to lvl 10 then after that it's every 5 lvls. Did you not watch the actual interview?
    [Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    Kr3sen said:

Scot said:

Except Pay2Win always dooms your game to a niche, there are plenty of examples out there.

Also, these types of survival games dont ever do well either. Every time you just have a small minority that affectively bullies most players out of the game. Its the reason why games like RUST, ARK, etc all insted of growing over time started losing player at a crazy rate after the initial hype faded. The average player just wont bother playing if it takes weeks to built something that can be destroyed in a matter of minutes.
    I bet same thing will happen with 76, initially the game will do very well becouse of the hype surrounding it being a Fallout/Bethesda game but by next year itll be like the game never even existed.
    I question the survival game formula myself, I do see a future for it, by default because its a cheap way to make a game. P2W does not doom games, cash shops proved that, loot boxes took a knock and are still with us, games as a service loom as the next "great innovation" in gaming.

Truly amazing how much innovation we have had in revenue systems over the past 15 years and how little we have had in games. :)
    Panserbjorne39Stjerneodd[Deleted User]
  • AzarealAzareal Member UncommonPosts: 163
    The Cards system is likely going to end up looking something like from Warframe where you can buy them from their Store or just farm for them (one can hope).

As for the PvP, no idea why devs always work so hard to complicate things. Why not just either (a) have dedicated PvP servers or (b) give people the option to turn on PvP and only go after other PvP'ers. When you try and mix n' match like this it's just going to give all the griefers out there even more reasons to try and find a way around the restrictions.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Azareal said:
    The Cards system is likely going to end up looking something like from Warframe where you can buy them from their Store or just farm for them (one can hope).

As for the PvP, no idea why devs always work so hard to complicate things. Why not just either (a) have dedicated PvP servers or (b) give people the option to turn on PvP and only go after other PvP'ers. When you try and mix n' match like this it's just going to give all the griefers out there even more reasons to try and find a way around the restrictions.
    It's simple really: PVP is the content. No PVP = 1/100th the content that traditional FO single player fans are accustomed to.

It's why they're trying so hard to hype up the coolness factor of "every human you see is another real player" as if we had never heard of multiplayer games before Todd invented the genre with FO76 :)

Yes, it's the Fallout universe and this is cool. But also yes, it's just another survival PVP game lean on content and heavy on PVP drama.
    [Deleted User]Stjerneodd[Deleted User]Solancer
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I don't see any other reason to have a card system other than as a money making tool with the infamous RNG doling out 1% chances for the most powerful cards that incidentally can only be found in the cash shop as the ones you get leveling up will likely be minor upgrades in comparison.
    I'm sceptical myself, but I can see a card system like this as a way of promoting more variety in builds.

Mowzer said:
    That double speak though!!!...When asked about the private servers.

To me, the hardest part for them(and it showed via his twisted speak) is keeping a way to monetise the game while allowing modding via private servers.
    Look at it from their perspective, modding pretty well nullifies any micro transactions as the communtiy will almost certainly make any and everything better than they ever could.
    Ive no doubt they will hold off on private servers/modding as long as they can. They will want to milk that cow thoroughly before letting the modders loose on it.
    They could just make an easy way for modders to sell their content and take a percentage there. Sounds like a great way to provide an endless stream of content and cosmetics for those willing to pay for it. How to make mo money without using none of yo money!