Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5000 posts and almost seven years later

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 6,241
    Phry said:
    cheyane said:
    Gorwe said:
    cheyane said:
    Phry said:
    @Phry

I got you, it makes sense what you said. It is important to know that. 
    Well, if 75% of China's population decides to emigrate, things could change dramatically  ;)
    I live in Rome and am Malaysian and in both Malaysia and Italy I hear Mandarin being spoken quite a bit even in the posh shopping areas because their money travels. The big brands cater to Chinese shoppers because they spend extravagantly. My son speaks both Chinese and Japanese he is doing linguistics and Chinese is very much in demand. Well he speaks about 7 languages from all the moving around we have done. Poor boy every country we moved to he had to learn a new language... must have been hell for him.
    Tell me, is it hot in R...

yes, probably is. Does it pay off to learn Mandarin / Cantonese / Japanese and such or is it a myth?
    Yes it is about 34 degrees right now. Summer used to be pleasant but it's getting warmer each year.

Yes especially Chinese , you learn Chinese , Mandarin is a dialect and so is Cantonese. In Malaysia Mandarin is only used in schools most speak the other dialects depending on which part of Malaysia you come from. The Chinese in Singapore were 'persuaded' by the government to stop using the other dialects and concentrate on the more refined Mandarin one.
    One of my favourite areas of the world to holiday is the Caribbean, i wish i had learned Spanish when i was younger  :/
    Well in Malaysia you have to be multilingual as we were a British Colony so English was compulsory when I was young along with Malay. You pick up your mother tongue and in my case it was more than one lol.

Then travelling to Brazil, Spain and my husband is Italian helped me pick up more and right now my poor cramped brain lapses into Malay while talking to an Italian waiter and I am often puzzled why he is standing there looking at me with an odd expression on his face. The languages get muddled in my head.
    JamesGoblinScotlaseritOctagon7711
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,542
    Next MMORPG.com forums will be facebook of people telling their life stories. People here hate all the new MMOs and cry for the old times, but those are never coming back so now might as well post real life junk that no one really cares about since posting about new MMOs...in the MMO general discussion.

I hope this gets moved to off topic, cause didnt come here to see someone post their life story.

At least even though my posts are usually junk (sometimes I do an actual serious post)...I don't go posting a novel of my life on the forums . And at very best, those belong in the off topic where someone cant see it pop up on recent posts and have to actually look for it

This isn't facebook
    Does someone need a hug?
    JamesGoblinScotOctagon7711AlBQuirkySedrynTyrosKyleran

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,690
    Next MMORPG.com forums will be facebook of people telling their life stories. People here hate all the new MMOs and cry for the old times, but those are never coming back so now might as well post real life junk that no one really cares about since posting about new MMOs...in the MMO general discussion.

I hope this gets moved to off topic, cause didnt come here to see someone post their life story.

At least even though my posts are usually junk (sometimes I do an actual serious post)...I don't go posting a novel of my life on the forums . And at very best, those belong in the off topic where someone cant see it pop up on recent posts and have to actually look for it

This isn't facebook
    You had to be that guy ... huh ............ what a Richard
    SedrynTyros
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 5,954
    cheyane said:
    Gorwe said:
    cheyane said:
    Phry said:
    @Phry

Well, if 75% of China's population decides to emigrate, things could change dramatically  ;)
    I live in Rome and am Malaysian and in both Malaysia and Italy I hear Mandarin being spoken quite a bit even in the posh shopping areas because their money travels. The big brands cater to Chinese shoppers because they spend extravagantly. My son speaks both Chinese and Japanese he is doing linguistics and Chinese is very much in demand. Well he speaks about 7 languages from all the moving around we have done. Poor boy every country we moved to he had to learn a new language... must have been hell for him.
    Tell me, is it hot in R...

yes, probably is. Does it pay off to learn Mandarin / Cantonese / Japanese and such or is it a myth?
    Yes it is about 34 degrees right now. Summer used to be pleasant but it's getting warmer each year.

Yes especially Chinese , you learn Chinese , Mandarin is a dialect and so is Cantonese. In Malaysia Mandarin is only used in schools most speak the other dialects depending on which part of Malaysia you come from. The Chinese in Singapore were 'persuaded' by the government to stop using the other dialects and concentrate on the more refined Mandarin one.

In China they use dub overs for uniformity of the spoken Mandarin in the movies and dramas which is so annoying especially when if you're like me and love the actor or actress to speak in their own voice and dialect. Shih  Huang Ti if I remember my history of China united the whole of China to one written script but there were numerous dialects. Unlike India where there are actually numerous languages both written and spoken. My grandparents come from the south and central part of India. So I can actually speak 3 Indian languages but I cannot read or write any of them although my mother who could even read a write in Sanskrit did try to teach me when I was young.
    Thanks, I was always thinking about learning Chinese, could be profitable. Plus, China's beautiful, let's face it. No, not Shanghai and co, though they probably do have their urban charms.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Sovrath said:

This isn't facebook
    Does someone need a hug?
    Indeed he does, and you can help by giving him a cyber-hug in a thread he just created, similar to this one  - https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/475428/over-2000-likes-since-2012-been-here-so-many-years

If nothing else, it explains his behavior.
    Octagon7711Phry
     W...aaagh?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,542
    blamo2000 said:
    Sovrath said:
    blamo2000 said:

I think I would be happier if I went the trade route - but I don't know.  There could be elements of working in the demolition union I find worse than the oppressiveness and lack of real human-connections you get in an office environment.  
    I worked construction to make money for college and I remember being so exhausted I'd come home from work and lie down in the middle of the living room and just go to sleep.

I know what you mean about the comparison from white collar jobs to blue collar jobs. I suppose pros and cons to each though.
    I did roofing while I was going to college, and the summers were brutal working in the sun all day. 
    My same friend, the one who went to Oxford/Harvard did the exact same job: Roofing.

that is what initially spurred him on to go to college as he came home exhaused, aching, covered in lord knows what, and then sat on his porch thinking "there's got to be a better way!"
    blamo2000

edited August 2018
    Sovrath said:

This isn't facebook
    Does someone need a hug?
    Indeed he does, and you can help by giving him a cyber-hug in a thread he just created, similar to this one  - https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/475428/over-2000-likes-since-2012-been-here-so-many-years

If nothing else, it explains his behavior.
    nevermind
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,079
    Phry said:
    @Phry

Come to Metro Vancouver

Mandarin and Cantonese everywhere.
    JamesGoblinPhaserlight

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member RarePosts: 5,151
    BadSpock said:
    Holy crap!
    Good to see ya back!

And Gratz to @Gorwe! My son is in your shoes. He's 31 and wants to "get his life in order" before even thinking about a serious relationship :)
    GorweJamesGoblinVermillion_Raventhal

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Post counting.  The epen of online forums.
    edited August 2018
    AlBQuirky said:
    BadSpock said:
    Holy crap!
    Good to see ya back!

And Gratz to @Gorwe! My son is in your shoes. He's 31 and wants to "get his life in order" before even thinking about a serious relationship :)
    Yes. I do need to get it in order. I mean, it's not like it isn't right now. Look, even Star Lord way of living is acceptable to some. Who am I to judge?

I just need to find out what really interests me, then find a job therein. Then the rest.

I'm fairly satisfied with my life now. Having a job would be nice, but it's the same as with girls. Better no job than the wrong job. I'm not wasting my energy / resources on random crap.
    AlBQuirkyJamesGoblin
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 821
    Sovrath said:

My same friend, the one who went to Oxford/Harvard did the exact same job: Roofing.

that is what initially spurred him on to go to college as he came home exhaused, aching, covered in lord knows what, and then sat on his porch thinking "there's got to be a better way!"
    I agree, and I don't know how people in states that get way hotter with way more humidity than Massachusetts like Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama, etc, manage.  I honestly couldn't do it. Roofers are paid really well in Mass, but in "prickly" heat states I don't think there is enough money for people to roof - but since the houses definitely have roofs I hope they get paid a fortune. 

But, I don't want to degrade or diminish how hard Oxford and Harvard are, or even how hard just getting into those schools is.  
    JamesGoblin
    Regardless, it's time to continue my (MMO) journey. I've still to finish Blade and Soul and could also try EQ 2 or ES:O(always was a fan of Daggerfall Covenant pirate / smuggler story even though the game's kinda strange imo) again. Maybe I even give Grim Dawn a millionth chance, though I don't think I'll "get" it. And we'll see what else crops up.
    JamesGoblin
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 32,984
    Scot said:
    Well I did an "I am all purple now" when I made Purple, so why shouldn't you do one after 5000 posts?

You just wait

;)
    JamesGoblinScot

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

kitarad said:
    Yes once as a player the other as coach.
    Er...this is uncommon? We have players and coaches here with 3, 4 and even 5 Superbowl titles.....get a swell ring too....

;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:
    Er...this is uncommon? We have players and coaches here with 3, 4 and even 5 Superbowl titles.....get a swell ring too....

;)
    "Problem" is that footbal WCH is happening only each 4 years, and the whole world takes part (if you know what I'm saying). It makes it much harder - thus much more rare and worthy.
    MadFrenchie
     W...aaagh?
  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,010
    edited August 2018
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

;)
    Superbowl happens only in one country. The world cup involves many, many countries and therefore the incidence is much more rare. In fact it was achieved only twice before that I think if I am not mistaken by a Brazilian and a German. Therefore considering that the World Cup is played  by 32 countries and before that the qualifying rounds even  more countries (54 this 2018 world cup) the incidence is incredibly low for a player and coach to win.

I mean you can call it the "World Series" but that does not make it that the world is participating unlike The World Cup.  ;)
    Jean-Luc_PicardJamesGoblinGorweKyleranPhryAlBQuirky

edited August 2018
    kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

;)
    Superbowl happens only in one country. The world cup involves many, many countries and therefore the incidence is much more rare. In fact it was achieved only twice before that I think if I am not mistaken by a Brazilian and a German. Therefore considering that the World Cup is played  by 32 countries and before that the qualifying rounds even  more countries (54 this 2018 world cup) the incidence is incredibly low for a player and coach to win.

I mean you can call it the "World Series" but that does not make it that the world is participating unlike The World Cup.  ;)
    Thanks for the info, now I understand why it would be a far less common occurance.

Ahh.... I looked it, a very exclusive club in deed.

Despite 54 / 32 countries participating, it has in fact been won by only 8 countries during its history,  three (I overlooked Uruguay originally) in South America, and six from Europe. (21 total tournaments)

Brazil is the clear all time leader, with 5 wins, but much of their glory is in the past, last win was 2002. Germany and Italy are close seconds with 4 wins a piece. All others are 2 wins or less. (France just recently joining this club)

In all fairness to America, the UK and Spain only have one more win than we do and we are tied with apparently 50 others.  ;)

In  fact, of the 445 players who have ever won the World cup one has done it three times (Pele, a name even I know) and 20 have done it twice, a majority from the 1958, 1962 Brazil team which appears to be the only back to back winners in the Cup's history.

There is a number who have won as a player and a coach but it is not clearly discerned in the source I pulled these figures from. (Wikipedia,  so accuracy may be suspect)

No one has ever one it twice as Captain of the team.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FIFA_World_Cup_winners

This is the most I've learned about the World Cup despite actually being alive for more than 2/3 rds of them.  

Time to cut the grass....cheers.

Post edited by Kyleran on
    JamesGoblinkitaradCryomatrix

kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

;)

Yea... That's always bugged me when American Football and Baseball teams claim, "We're WORLD Champions!" I just shake my head and say to myself, "Not really."
    JamesGoblinGorwePhaserlight

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:
    kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

;)

Yea... That's always bugged me when American Football and Baseball teams claim, "We're WORLD Champions!" I just shake my head and say to myself, "Not really."
      well in the NFL example , im certain they would welcome any country to field a Team against even the Cleveland Browns ... We all know the result .. There is no competition for them outside there own league .. Therefore They are World Champions..
    Scorchien said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

;)

well in the NFL example , im certain they would welcome any country to field a Team against even the Cleveland Browns ... We all know the result .. There is no competition for them outside there own league .. Therefore They are World Champions..
    Even when the AFL (Americam Football League), WFL (World Football League), USFL (United States Football League, and XFL were in operation, the NFL Super Bowl Champions claimed "World Champions." ;)
    JamesGoblin

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

edited August 2018
    AlBQuirky said:
    Scorchien said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

;)

Even when the AFL (Americam Football League), WFL (World Football League), USFL (United States Football League, and XFL were in operation, the NFL Super Bowl Champions claimed "World Champions." ;)
    And none of them would have any chance at all of beating an NFL team .. The majority of there players , could not make it in the NFL (there are very few xover) And thats why they were in these alternitive Leagues....And the 2 new leagues coming up in 19 and 20 will be the same .. And btw even the CFL which is a practicing Pro Football leagie for decades is made up of guys that could not make it in The NFL and the CFL knows it would never embarrass itself in promoting a match of there Champ vs the NFLs Cahmp .. it would not even be a game /

I would even go as far as to say that the CFLs best would be very hard pressed to beat Bama a NCAA team
    Scorchien said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Scorchien said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

;)

And none of them would have any chance at all of beating an NFL team .. The majority of there players , could not make it in the NFL (there are very few xover) And thats why they were in these alternitive Leagues....And the 2 new leagues coming up in 19 and 20 will be the same .. And btw even the CFL which is a practicing Pro Football leagie for decades is made up of guys that could not make it in The NFL and the CFL knows it would never embarrass itself in promoting a match of there Champ vs the NFLs Cahmp .. it would not even be a game /

I would even go as far as to say that the CFLs best would be very hard pressed to beat Bama a NCAA team
    Herschel Walker, Jim Kelley, Reggie White: USFL players. Those leagues competed with the NFL for top collegiate prospects. The AFL was so threatening, the NFL absorbed it in 1970 with a merger. Some of those leagues had "rules tweaks", but basically the same game. The CFL is played quite differently: 3 downs to make a first down, not 4; 110 yards between end zones, not 100; lots of backfield pre-snap motion allowed, not everyone set for 1 sec before the snap.

Heck, there a handful of NFL teams that would have trouble with Alabama. Also, how many of the 52 Super Bowls have actually "been close?" A handful? Maybe 2 handfuls?

The point stands: The NFL is not the world. Claiming "World Camps" is wrong, in my opinion. Enough sidetracking ;)
    JamesGoblin

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

edited August 2018
    AlBQuirky said:
    Scorchien said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Scorchien said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

;)

Herschel Walker, Jim Kelley, Reggie White: USFL players. Those leagues competed with the NFL for top collegiate prospects. The AFL was so threatening, the NFL absorbed it in 1970 with a merger. Some of those leagues had "rules tweaks", but basically the same game. The CFL is played quite differently: 3 downs to make a first down, not 4; 110 yards between end zones, not 100; lots of backfield pre-snap motion allowed, not everyone set for 1 sec before the snap.

Heck, there a handful of NFL teams that would have trouble with Alabama. Also, how many of the 52 Super Bowls have actually "been close?" A handful? Maybe 2 handfuls?

The point stands: The NFL is not the world. Claiming "World Camps" is wrong, in my opinion. Enough sidetracking ;)
      UNtil any other country or League can field a team that could beat or even remotley challenge an NFL champion .. They are World Champions .. Its very obvious that  NOONE else in the WORLD can field a team that can even challenge them ..

That pretty much gives them the bragging rights of World Champs now doesnt it ..

If you have a team or country that can Challenge the current Champs .. please enlighten us ..  So like i said anoyone who wishes to rationalize that the Phi Eagles are not World Champions of Pro Football today , either present to us a suitable challenge or just move on stfu about it .. Because common sense and rational thinking KNOW there is no Team outside the NFL itself that can evenm remotley challenge the Champ of the NFL .. Make any sense yet ..

And to add just an FYI .. NO college team could beat any NFL team .. No chance no way no how
        Also as i pointed out earlier there were a FEW xovers that made the transition in Wlaker /White/Kelly for ex .. But 95% of the league were not good enough to play in NFL and did not make the transition .. So a pointless point you make there ..

In addition the AFL NFL did play a championship at the end of there seasons .. Hence SB 1 and 2 then the merger .. As they saw it as a much better league to include ful season x conference play , was a money move all around as the League was taking off and salaires were escalating ..SO another pointless point ..
    Post edited by Scorchien on
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,338
    edited August 2018
    Gorwe said:
    Regardless, it's time to continue my (MMO) journey. I've still to finish Blade and Soul and could also try EQ 2 or ES:O(always was a fan of Daggerfall Covenant pirate / smuggler story even though the game's kinda strange imo) again. Maybe I even give Grim Dawn a millionth chance, though I don't think I'll "get" it. And we'll see what else crops up.
    Going back repeatedly to see if you now like a game boggles my mind. Wait until the game has a proper launch, try it then and if you don't like it you never will.

I would recommend ESO, but had a good bash in EQ2 back in the day.
    Post edited by Scot on
    KyleranGorwe

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P