Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5000 posts and almost seven years later

GorweGorwe Member RarePosts: 5,063
Note: Please do let it stay in Gen Dis for some time - there have been less relevant topics there anyhow. I'll also integrate the passing of MMO ages in here. Thanks!

Oh how the time flies. One could almost say "Tempus fugit". And what has transpired within these seven years. I remember joining in to discuss SWTOR, WAR and such games. I also remember that it was the time when the GW 2 hype and discussions were at its finest and Cataclysm was fairly new and quite polarizing. How much the game landscape changed in the mean time: from MMOs to MOBAs to Survival games to single player games(lol!). So much for "SINGLE PLAYER GAMES ARE DEAD!" ; though I reckon that SPs should adopt the hybrid model(SP with MP functions as in back when), but that is neither here nor there. We went from "WoW killer" to "WoW copy" to "MMO ignore". SWTOR crashed and burned, but I also quite enjoyed some of its stories(Smuggler, Trooper). ES:O and FF XIV crashed, burned and rose like phoenixes from the ashes. And I'm really glad for this. WoW began to be the background thing as opposed to THE THING.

On a more personal level, a lot has happened. I finished the school and tried two colleges. No can do, I'm not really interested in regimented anything. I had few jobs, one very good where there was a good food, good company, but not that much to do(would still return to it in a heartbeat). My country even became a full member of EU and now my country almost toppled the world in Soccer. But nah, the gendarmes were...we have a HUGE problem with Didier The Champ( :p ) it seems. He stopped us two times now. My father also passed away, that was...shit happens. The life's like a (co)sine, it vacillates from the max to min and back again. It causes some econ struggle, but nothing that can't be fixed. Best not to dwell on bad things. Learn and move on I say. To quote Seven "We will adapt".

And I still haven't had a female company in all this time, believe it or not!

Yet here I am. Writing a, basically, memorandum on my 5000 posts and 7 years of life where I haven't done anything of real notice. I ate nicely, played good games, watched good movies(presumably) and … I could get detailed and even calculate with a high accuracy the number of happy endings. But let's not get there.

Thank you all for reading this upside down post and being here. You rock!
bcbullyJean-Luc_PicardSovrathUngoodScotJamesGoblinAmathemmolouCryomatrixMadFrenchieand 12 others.

Comments

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 7,456
    edited August 9
    As a French Starfleet captain, I've only one thing to say here... or rather, show:

Post edited by Jean-Luc_Picard on
    JamesGoblinGorweMadFrenchieimmodiumPhaserlightSedrynTyrosTorvalConstantineMerus
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 8700k (4.70ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 24,797
    Thanks for sharing, it's nice to learn about fellow forum posters.

Sorry about your father. As far as a job goes, maybe a trade? I have a friend with with some sort of degree from Oxford and a PhD from Harvard and he said if he had to do it again he would have gone into a trade.

"And I still haven't had a female company in all this time, believe it or not!"

I would make this a priority. B)

GorweJamesGoblinthunderCblamo2000Psym0n

• ScotScot Member EpicPosts: 8,939
    edited August 9
    As a French Starfleet captain, I've only one thing to say here... or rather, show:

As Jean-Luc and his family, indeed all of France speaks English by the 25th Century (French becoming an obscure language) and his picking up many British habits like tea drinking rather than that dreadful noisette they drink now I guess I will have to forgive you. :)
    Post edited by Scot on
    GorweJamesGoblinJean-Luc_PicardPhaserlightAlBQuirky

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,196
    News from the future (another 5000 posts later):

You found an aggro-free girlfriend (yeah, I know, I know...but this is fantasy post!) to play Star Citizen beta together :)
    ScotGorwePhaserlightAlBQuirkySedrynTyrosPhrySlapshot1188WaanKyleran
  • ScotScot Member EpicPosts: 8,939
    Well I did an "I am all purple now" when I made Purple, so why shouldn't you do one after 5000 posts?

When it comes to the ladies I would say that many of them will be in the same boat as you or looking for something more longer term as they get older. You may have an renaissance yet. :)
    GorweJamesGoblin

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• AmatheAmathe Member EpicPosts: 3,673
    Thank you for your contributions. 
    JamesGoblinAlBQuirkyScot

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GorweGorwe Member RarePosts: 5,063
    Thank you all for this. And, Didier, we'll see you at Euro. Maybe your luck...whom am I kidding? The France has got such an awesome young team! I'm especially a fan of Pogba, that guy can really play something special, eh?

Hm, interesting idea Sov. Though I don't really have the discipline for College. Hell, I barely have enough discipline for a job. I'd like something of "brains off, min responsibility, pay me" type. I recently quit one because I didn't like the prospect of touring my country and soldering and fixing sensors. And carrying 10kg+ on my back, no way. Talk about the mismatch. Almost a juxtaposition it was!

And, I'll remember some words of my late father. Truth is, as I grow older and as I have more money(I usually have this unusual knack of finding it all over the place and having more than enough) and a steady(presumably) job, I could become a playboy. Who knows? I'll have more options as I grow older, that's for sure. It's just...I'm curious how it all feels. The intimacy, the acts, the reliance(I'm not big on this one tbh)...you understand.

AND THEY RUINED WARHAMMER FANTASY, THEM BASTARDS! (granted, it seems I got Endhammer, so everything's just k. I even got Norse(non Chaos) Jarldom in Salkalten! <3)
    SedrynTyros
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member RarePosts: 1,702
    @Gorwe

Your English is amazing. You write very eloquently. Great job on finishing school. College isnt for everyone, standard education doesnt make you smart, being smart is all about seeking knowledge and being intelligently curious. Reading is a great way to learn stuff.

Im 37, and i think that a good way to go about life is to learn a marketable trade that pays well that you like. Live cheaply and gaming is a great way to do it. Then go into real estate to rent out units. If i did that starting at 18, id be worth a lot more than i am now. 

I have school loans up the wazoo but i make good money now and love what i do, so i cant complain.

And get some female company, you learn a ton of valuable lessons just from that. Thanks for sharing sorry about your father. I am guessing you are from Croatia? Loved your soccer team during world cup. I also hear it is a beautiful country.

Cryomatrix

AlBQuirky
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 5,687
    As far as lady-friends go, a bookworm will give you the continuous solo time you want to enjoy your video games!  She'll also likely be much more well-spoken than other girls, considering she reads so much.  It works for me. :+1:

Congrats on making it this far in life.  If you're like me, over the past 7 years you've gradually realized that, contrary to what they tell you growing up, most adults do not have all their shit together either, monogomay is a lot less common than they told us it was growing up, and future generations are likely royally fucked into inheriting a shit ton of problems just like we did.  The circle of life.
    Gorwe

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member EpicPosts: 7,315
    edited August 9
    Congrats on the experiences gained. 

I once did E harmony, just to see what it was like, because they had a free 3 months or something like that.  I met some very nice women and must say they do have a nice system setup.  It walks you through meeting and talking to people in a safe way and one of my co-workers ended up getting married to a guy she met there and I think it's been about five or six years now for them. 

One suggestion is to be as honest as possible.  I put in I liked MMO's and RPGs, SciFi and found people with similar interests.  I've also come across dating sites for gamers but didn't try them out.  Anyways, all the best to you. :smile:
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on
    GorweScotTorval
    “And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.”  ― Haruki Murakami
    @Gorwe

Your English is amazing. You write very eloquently. Great job on finishing school. College isnt for everyone, standard education doesnt make you smart, being smart is all about seeking knowledge and being intelligently curious. Reading is a great way to learn stuff.

Im 37, and i think that a good way to go about life is to learn a marketable trade that pays well that you like. Live cheaply and gaming is a great way to do it. Then go into real estate to rent out units. If i did that starting at 18, id be worth a lot more than i am now. 

I have school loans up the wazoo but i make good money now and love what i do, so i cant complain.

And get some female company, you learn a ton of valuable lessons just from that. Thanks for sharing sorry about your father. I am guessing you are from Croatia? Loved your soccer team during world cup. I also hear it is a beautiful country.

Cryomatrix

Thank you. Wants to happen when you grow up next to Janeway and Johnny Bravo(I know I misspelt it >.< ), so it is like a second language to me. Never had a B actually. I should've had it once, but it was the last year and the teacher didn't want to ruin the score lol.

As for my country, beautiful, full of potential, but COMPLETELY MISMANAGED! Some would look at me strangely, but we really need a new Tito or at least a Trump / Pinochet or something(perhaps Morales like figure could help?). Anything. The management is BEYOND H.O.R.R.I.B.L.E! We don't have natural disasters, our natural disaster are the politicians. Sometimes I'd gladly trade these worthless shitheads for capable shitheads and a tornado here and there. But it's "democracy" and people will vote for the "promise a lot, do nothing" and "national party" without really thinking what they're really doing. Derp. And thus we are the last in the EU, overtaken even by the likes of Bulgaria or Romania, who have, objectively, less potential than we do. We could be at least a "Danmark of the South", but why, why live nicely when you can have worthless shitheads for your "rulers"?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 24,797

I once did E harmony, just to see what it was like, because they had a free 3 months or something like that.  I met some very nice women and must say they do have a nice system setup.  It walks you through meeting and talking to people in a safe way and one of my co-workers ended up getting married to a guy she met there and I think it's been about five or six years now for them. 

One suggestion is to be as honest as possible.  I put in I liked MMO's and RPGs, SciFi and found people with similar interests.  I've also come across dating sites for gamers but didn't try them out.  Anyways, all the best to you. :smile:
    Never liked E-Harmony. I would also suggest him trying Match or OkCupid. Got more dates from OkCupid but more relationships from Match (including my current girlfriend).

I tried a gamer dating site once but had no luck. Not enough people on it.

Used to do it the "old fashioned way" but for some reason that seems harder "nowadays."

Could be my "middle age" though.

Octagon7711

Sovrath said:

Never liked E-Harmony. I would also suggest him trying Match or OkCupid. Got more dates from OkCupid but more relationships from Match (including my current girlfriend).

Used to do it the "old fashioned way" but for some reason that seems harder "nowadays."

Job first, then stability, then girls. There's a right and there's a wrong way to go about things. I'll go the right way(presumably).

Tbh, I'm not looking forward to this, I dislike the feeling of being in love and losing control. I dislike losing control in general. Can't I just find some Cersei / Hillary, let her work in the bank while I do the household stuff? Without any mushy mushy crap?
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:

Job first, then stability, then girls. There's a right and there's a wrong way to go about things. I'll go the right way(presumably).

Tbh, I'm not looking forward to this, I dislike the feeling of being in love and losing control. I dislike losing control in general. Can't I just find some Cersei / Hillary, let her work in the bank while I do the household stuff? Without any mushy mushy crap?
    When it comes to relationships, I would say practice makes perfect.  So even if you're not really looking for one yet, it's good to get out there and give it a go anyways.  You don't want to run into a great person someday without some experience under your belt, that can be awkward.  If you don't have some close female friends at least work on that.  After all, good relationships should start off as good friendships, IMHO.
    Phaserlight
    “And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.”  ― Haruki Murakami
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member UncommonPosts: 35
    happy 5000 years old b day
    AlBQuirky
  • thunderCthunderC Member RarePosts: 1,501
    Cool post and sorry to hear about your dad. O BTW hooking up with a woman is easy just remember the two F's. Not those you pervs!! I'm talking about Fun & Funny, That's all there really is to dating.
    SovrathOctagon7711Allerleirauh
  • ScorchienScorchien Member EpicPosts: 5,061
    thunderC said:
    Cool post and sorry to hear about your dad. O BTW hooking up with a woman is easy just remember the two F's. Not those you pervs!! I'm talking about Fun & Funny, That's all there really is to dating.
      Hmm Fun Funny and you better bring some Money or you will be dating your hand
    thunderCGorweOctagon7711PhaserlightScotAllerleirauhSedrynTyros
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member RarePosts: 1,702
    Also, make sure to smell nice
    Octagon7711ScorchienScot
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:

When it comes to relationships, I would say practice makes perfect.  So even if you're not really looking for one yet, it's good to get out there and give it a go anyways.  You don't want to run into a great person someday without some experience under your belt, that can be awkward.  If you don't have some close female friends at least work on that.  After all, good relationships should start off as good friendships, IMHO.
    I don't even have friends. I have my family and occasional acquaintances I run into. Suits my wants fine. I was never the one for strict relationships of any kind. Yes, yes, I do have Smuggler scum mentality. Sue me. :)

Tbh concerning girls, I'm not even worried about that. Shit like that happens almost by coincidence. I'll be somewhere and she'll be at the exact place and … yeah. I'd really like to say that it's more under my control, but it really isn't. Give it your best, but be warned that you can't rush fate. Neither can you escape it, maybe because of running away, you're doing EXACTLY what you're supposed to do.
    Octagon7711thunderC
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 7,456
    edited August 9
    Scot said:

As jean-Luc and his family, indeed all of France speaks English by the 25th Century (French becoming an obscure language) and picking up many British habits like tea drinking rather than that dreadful noisette they drink now I guess I will have to forgive you. :)
    You should watch a bit more Star Trek... and WTF is a "noisette" ??? Janeway prefers coffee...

And in reality, maybe we'll all speak Mandarin soon... anyway :p

To be serious, as a real life French citizen, I definitely don't mind the universal world wide language being English. It had to be one, and as you can read, I embraced it. That doesn't mean country specific languages should disappear either. I personally speak French, English and German, along with some Spanish and Italian.
    Post edited by Jean-Luc_Picard on
    TorvalKyleran
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 8700k (4.70ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:

I don't even have friends. I have my family and occasional acquaintances I run into. Suits my wants fine. I was never the one for strict relationships of any kind. Yes, yes, I do have Smuggler scum mentality. Sue me. :)

Tbh concerning girls, I'm not even worried about that. Shit like that happens almost by coincidence. I'll be somewhere and she'll be at the exact place and … yeah. I'd really like to say that it's more under my control, but it really isn't. Give it your best, but be warned that you can't rush fate. Neither can you escape it, maybe because of running away, you're doing EXACTLY what you're supposed to do.
    There are some who believe that life is a stage and that sometimes major events in our lives are preordained to be.  I know there have been people who have guided me to make key decisions in my life that have worked out very well for me.  Plus, I've read stories of people just clicking and how it seemed that they've known one another for a lifetime even though they just met.  I really love when that happens.
    Scorchien said:
    thunderC said:
      Hmm Fun Funny and you better bring some Money or you will be dating your hand
    Besides, it's better to date your hand than it is to date an annoying and shrill hag. Much more pleasurable in the long run.
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:

There are some who believe that life is a stage and that sometimes major events in our lives are preordained to be.  I know there have been people who have guided me to make key decisions in my life that have worked out very well for me.  Plus, I've read stories of people just clicking and how it seemed that they've known one another for a lifetime even though they just met.  I really love when that happens.
    I don't fully believe in it and I'm more of a "Tabula Rasa ; you write your story" rather than going through chapters that are written somewhere. I spent some time thinking about it. Green Magic vs Blue / Black Magic. Determinism vs Free Will. I'm naturally more on the FW side. Life taught me, however, that I might be wrong. Both jobs I had recently came as happenstance rather than due to my influence. I merely had to react, rather than do anything really definite.
    Octagon7711
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 5,687
    edited August 9
    Scot said:

As jean-Luc and his family, indeed all of France speaks English by the 25th Century (French becoming an obscure language) and picking up many British habits like tea drinking rather than that dreadful noisette they drink now I guess I will have to forgive you. :)
    You should watch a bit more Star Trek... and WTF is a "noisette" ??? Janeway prefers coffee...

And in reality, maybe we'll all speak Mandarin soon... anyway :p

To be serious, as a real life French citizen, I definitely don't mind the universal world wide language being English. It had to be one, and as you can read, I embraced it. That doesn't mean country specific languages should disappear either. I personally speak French, English and German, along with some Spanish and Italian.
    While I don't disagree, I do feel we could've chosen a world wide language that was a little less....  Ambiguous.

English is one of the only languages where you can present someone with a present..  in the present.

Speak that sentence aloud to beginners learning the language and watch their heads explode.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    Jean-Luc_PicardJamesGoblinScotKyleran

• lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 1,485
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:

I married the girl I had a one night stand with 24 hours after breaking up with my then girlfriend I was with for 3 years. We've been together for 17 years now, 6 of which married, life finds its way.

Also glad to have you and your contribution around. Stay a while and listen  B)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    GorweJamesGoblinPhaserlight
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

• laseritlaserit Member EpicPosts: 5,517
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:

The best thing you could do is to just be yourself.
    Jean-Luc_PicardOctagon7711SedrynTyros

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee