Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArtCraft hits $20 million in funding for Crowfall MMO

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 8,921
Ambitious new game has reached that total through a mix of crowdfunding and traditional investment

ArtCraft Entertainment's forthcoming MMO Crowfall has raised more than $20 million in funding from a combination of crowdfunding, investors and partners.

The Crowfall Kickstarter campaign finished in March 2015, with more than $1.7 million donated by almost 17,000 backers. When we spoke to ArtCraft later that year, it had raised a total of $10 million through a combination of crowdfunding and traditional investment.

In the time since, that figure has doubled to $20 million in funding, "from backers, investors and partners."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-08-01-artcraft-hits-USD20-million-in-funding-for-crowfall-mmo
JamesGoblin

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,750
    Money does not equal a good game but it sure helps. :)
    pantaro

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Thanks for sharing, tho it's somewhat strange piece of news since Crowfall hit $20M mark sometime around New Year!?
     W...aaagh?
  • ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 2,007
    Does anyone have any good insight on how far away they are from beta?
    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Shaigh said:
    The real question is, how far are they from alpha? It is planned for "later this summer" and, well, I wouldn't be surprised if...
    Scot
     W...aaagh?
  • OldSchoolGamerOldSchoolGamer Member UncommonPosts: 226
    To put this in perspective, World of Warcraft was started with a $30 million budget with a goal of selling 250,000 copies at launch.  The first week of launch, the game was sold out and stores were waiting for more to come in.  $20 million is a great result for a team that size.  While I supported their kick start efforts, I realized as the game has progressed that it is just not for me.  I wish them luck and hope they do well.
    JamesGoblin
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 449
    Shaigh said:
    The real question is, how far are they from alpha? It is planned for "later this summer" and, well, I wouldn't be surprised if...
    We still need to get 5.8 and 5.9 before we hit alpha, and it's possible that there will be more milestones added to that if things get pushed back/delayed. Right now I'd say they are on track for alpha to begin by the end of the year.
    JamesGoblin
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,054
    I remember way back when gaming news was about awesome features we could dream about (even if they never materialized) and not how much money a game had raised.

Such naive times they were...
    JamesGoblinScot

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 449
    I remember way back when gaming news was about awesome features we could dream about (even if they never materialized) and not how much money a game had raised.

Such naive times they were...
    That's because way back when, games were backed by large publishing companies. Getting the money to build an MMO has become a lot harder since then.

Artcraft publishes at least 2 articles/videos a week that gives info about game's features, so there's plenty of stuff to read/watch if you aren't interested in the financial side of things.
    JamesGoblin
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,830
    Thanks for sharing, tho it's somewhat strange piece of news since Crowfall hit $20M mark sometime around New Year!?
    Weird, I thought so too. Alpha late this year probably and Beta hopefully half way through next year. Now I am curious as to when 5.7 will hit the regular servers. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...