Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Foundry 42 Financials Released

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    LazyDazed said:
    Here is a really good article breaking down a lot of financial information: https://www.space4games.com/en/star-citizen-en/star-citzen-squadron-42-financials/id-2826/
    Site covers three games. Two of which are SC and SQ42.  They just started last year, I guess it will take a little while to add more. :neutral:
    sgel

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I just don’t understand how a single player game can take longer to create than 5 Star Wars films... and counting.
    Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Despite the evidence,  that article is pinned on the 'If what CIG tells us is true....'.  Ignoring the ample evidence to the contrary.   Hopefully Roberts has to continue to seek bailouts to the point someone else takes over the project.  Or he sells out to Amazon, et al.
    If he sells out to amazon the worlds energy problems will be solved if we can harness the energy from the critics erupting in laughter as they point out history just repeated itself to all the white knights. 
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

I just don’t understand how a single player game can take longer to create than 5 Star Wars films... and counting.
    I’ll save the usual suspects some time and answer for them.

Those films were based on an existing franchise so everything was already in place. CIG had to be built from scratch and you just don’t understand game development. Also they suck and SQ42/SC is the saviour of all gaming.

That should cover most of the usual responses
    NorseGod
  • justintbhsjustintbhs Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Kefo said:

Those films were based on an existing franchise so everything was already in place. CIG had to be built from scratch and you just don’t understand game development. Also they suck and SQ42/SC is the saviour of all gaming.

Sums the usual responses up perfectly.
    NorseGod
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Folks pay to Disney to watch their films, therefore Disney employees are effective at creating films.

Meanwhile folks pay CIG to develop Star Citizen. Therefore CIG employees are effective at keeping developing Star Citizen.
    MadFrenchie

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited December 2018
    My youngest one asked me something similar just the other day.

I said him to go grab his light saber's toys and stage a fight with his brother while I recorded it with my phone. 1 minute after recording their jedi fighting shenanigans were playing in the living room telly and could be all over social media for everyone to see if I wanted too. 

Now if I would want to make a game of my jedi kids fighting with lightsabers how much more work/time would I need to put into it before I could play it in my telly or share gameplay on youtube?

In short, Movies are easy compared with games because they are passive entertainment.

If that's not a simple enough to follow answer I suggest contacting any of the top developers like Rockstar, Blizzard, NaughtyDog, CDPR on why they take so much time doing their games when they already have established studios with huge amounts of resources and experience at their disposal from the get go.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Required 8 Years And A Massive Team To Develop

It's only natural that indie studios have the same problems with the added aggravation of well, being indie and starting from scratch.

Why Do Independent Game Developers Take So Long To Make Games?

So your question as an informed gamer should not be how video-games can take longer to create 5 movies but what is Disney waiting for releasing their Star Wars MMO Universe game or why do they keep paying EA/DICE to make their uninspired Battlefronts instead of making their own studio and produce a game worthy of such franchise. B)
    Post edited by Babuinix on
    ErillionGdemami
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    Babuinix said:

I said him go grab his light saber's toys and stage a fight with his brother while I recorded it with my phone. 1 minute after recording their jedi fighting shenanigans were playing in the living room telly and could be all over social media for everyone to see if I wanted too. 

Now if I would want to make a game of my jedi kids fighting with lightsabers how much more work/time would I need to put into it before I could play it in my telly or share gameplay on youtube?

In short, Movies are easy compared with games because they are passive entertainment.

If that's not a simple enough to follow answer I suggest contacting any of the top developers like Rockstar, Blizzard, NaughtyDog, CDPR on why they take so much doing their games when they have huge amounts of resources and experience.

Did you literally compare Star Wars movies to home videos?  In a genuine attempt at analogy?

EDIT- also, a quick Google search shows 3.5 years development time for Witcher 3.  None of your post is acceptable evidence, quite frankly.

Cmon man you can't be that daft, even my kid got it lol

Why do you think cinematics are shown years before the games come out? :D
    Gdemami
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Games would by norm take longer to create than movies do, they also can be more expensive than movies on the AAA top-level budgets, mind RDR2 took 8 years until released and that was backed up by well-established and experienced studios in such type of game.

So yeah, that's a thing you could understand.

Babuinix said:

You're the daft one trying to act like your home video analogy made any sense.  Yet again, you exaggerate to the point of uselessness in your crusade to refute any and all negative observations about your pet project.

Your post was nonsense.

edited December 2018
    EDIT- also, a quick Google search shows 3.5 years development time for Witcher 3.  None of your post is acceptable evidence, quite frankly.
    One can bring RDR2, you can bring Witcher 3, one can bring Cyberpunk 2077, then you can bring another example, then one can bring Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Wouldn't the point be  be "how can a single player game take longer than 5 SW movies" be that they simply can take that long due to each title own reality and development needs?
    Gdemami
    edited December 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    One can bring RDR2, you can bring Witcher 3, one can bring Cyberpunk 2077, then you can bring another example, then one can bring Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Wouldn't the point be  be "how can a single player game take longer than 5 SW movies" be that they simply can take that long due to each title own reality and development needs?
    Sure, that's a valid point, but not one Babuinix was making.

The more interesting discussion would be an analysis of how successful games are based on their development time.

Babuinix said:

You're the daft one trying to act like your home video analogy made any sense.  Yet again, you exaggerate to the point of uselessness in your crusade to refute any and all negative observations about your pet project.

Your post was nonsense.
    Sorry but I couldn't make it any simpler even if I tried. The point flew right over you, again.

At least I tried I guess, that's more than what you contributed tbh.

You could try and answer the question for the sake of the discussion.

Why do you think cinematic traillers are showcased years before the games are released?

You remeber remeber the first Cyberpunk trailer?

Oh and to put The Witcher 3 production into account you have to understand that it's a culmination of years and years of iteration back from its early versions.

Check how long how long it took witcher 1, then witcher 2 and then 3. 
    Why do you think the early ones took so much longert than the later one when they are clearly so inferior? Engine development, tools, manpower... 
    Gdemami
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    The biggest factor in how long something takes to make is - usually - how many people are working on the task. Not just at the end but throughout the life of a project.

There are phases of a project when fewer people are appropriate e.g. start up; concept and definition phase. There can be limits that might restrict how many people might be able to work at once e.g. size of office! There are things that can be done to improve efficiency e.g. multi-country working as well as things that make projects harder e.g. communication difficulties increase as teams get larger, you have more locations especially in different countries. And there are exceptions e.g. one author writing a book - although even then a team of researchers might help! 

In general though the biggest factor it how long is how many people; which often comes down to budget / money. 
    edited December 2018
    gervaise1 said:
    The biggest factor in how long something takes to make is - usually - how many people are working on the task. Not just at the end but throughout the life of a project.

In general though the biggest factor it how long is how many people; which often comes down to budget / money. 
    Not really...

Otherwise, RDR2 would be have done ASAP and not in 8 years.

The biggest factor in how long it takes is the development needs, if you go with a custom engine that will be most time and most expensive option, if you just build your game over one existing engine you can do it quickly enough.

This is how you can have one game like Assassin's Creed IP literally every year, but you don't get one GTA or one Read Dead Redemption every year because they tend to develop a custom engine with new core technology jump on each new title.

While more people do mean more resources, it all comes down to development needs that determine the time, and the budget with it.
    Gdemami
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Kefo said:

Stars Wars didnt have to build a new camera to shoot it is some super special way either....
    Babuinix said:

I said him go grab his light saber's toys and stage a fight with his brother while I recorded it with my phone. 1 minute after recording their jedi fighting shenanigans were playing in the living room telly and could be all over social media for everyone to see if I wanted too. 

If that's not a simple enough to follow answer I suggest contacting any of the top developers like Rockstar, Blizzard, NaughtyDog, CDPR on why they take so much doing their games when they have huge amounts of resources and experience.

Did you literally compare Star Wars movies to home videos?  In a genuine attempt at analogy?

he didnt have kids when this started but theyll probably have kids before (if) it ever releases
    MaxBacon said:
    gervaise1 said:

Not really...

Otherwise, RDR2 would be have done ASAP and not in 8 years.

The biggest factor in how long it takes is the development needs, if you go with a custom engine that will be most time and most expensive option, if you just build your game over one existing engine you can do it quickly enough.

This is how you can have one game like Assassin's Creed IP literally every year, but you don't get one GTA or one Read Dead Redemption every year because they tend to develop a custom engine with new core technology jump on each new title.

While more people do mean more resources, it all comes down to development needs that determine the time, and the budget with it.
    I can just about guarantee you it took that long because they shelved it so they could milk and monetize every penny out of GTA V. Why compete against yourself if you dont have to?
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:

Your post was nonsense.
    Sorry but I couldn't make it any simpler even if I tried. The point flew right over you, again.

Why do you think cinematic traillers are showcased years before the games are released?

Oh and to put The Witcher 3 production into account you have to understand that it's a culmination of years and years of iteration back from its early versions.

Why do you think the early ones took so much longert than the later one when they are clearly so inferior? Engine development, tools, manpower... 
    Dude, no one cares about what came first, the cinematic or the engine build.  You tried to make a shitty analogy in your overzealous crusade to defend your precious, a campaign which has rendered your entire account here a laughable addition to the community that does nothing but bait and troll.

Stick to sharing videos and photos.

You ignore parts of everyone else's points you can't easily refute with bullshit trolling techniques.  Period.  And your shtick is old as hell.
    AmazingAvery

• DurzaxDurzax Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Funny,
    Hanger Module Release: August 29, 2013.
    Arena Commander Release: June 4, 2014.
    Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Release: December 11, 2015. has been updated to 3.4.1.
    Star Marine Release: December 23, 2016.
    That clearly shows it is already released and has been for some time.

Hmm, CIG is doing the same as Neverwinter, Archeage, Wildstar, and every other MMO that used the early-access soft lunch method.
    And to think that Rust, Dayz SA, 7 days to die, and how many others are still there and have been for YEARS.
    Gdemami
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:

Your post was nonsense.

Dude, no one cares about what came first, the cinematic or the engine build.  You tried to make a shitty analogy in your overzealous crusade to defend your precious, a campaign which has rendered your entire account here a laughable addition to the community that does nothing but bait and troll.

You ignore parts of everyone else's points you can't easily refute with bullshit trolling techniques.  Period.  And your shtick is old as hell.
    You dont care and it shows lol, that's fine, it's not for everyone.

People that like game development like knowing and discussing about it to learn uppon their interests. It's only normal.

My analogy was spot on for anyone with a clue, infants included.

Making movies is way easyer and faster than games because you have less dynamic factors to take into account. Different Different mediums of entertainement. 

You might be feisty or even angry that @babuinix keeps exposing ignorance and misconceptions about star citizen and game dev in general but you cant say I've ever been wrong  :D

Deal with it as you like but dont ever try to shut me down like you own the place, specially when you dd nothing to the discussion, again.

Gdemami
    Can’t wait to have this discussion again next year...  
    ArglebargleNorseGodRusque

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:

Your post was nonsense.

You dont care and it shows lol, that's fine, it's not for everyone.

People that like game development like knowing and discussing about it to learn uppon their interests. It's only normal.

My analogy was spot on for anyone with a clue, infants included.

Making movies is way easyer and faster than games because you have less dynamic factors to take into account. Different Different mediums of entertainement. 

You might be feisty or even angry that @babuinix keeps exposing ignorance and misconceptions about star citizen and game dev in general but you cant say I've ever been wrong  :D

Deal with it as you like but dont ever try to shut me down like you own the place, specially when you dd nothing to the discussion, again.

I agree.  An infant would believe that you can shoot Star Wars on your iPhone.  Glad you found someone that will accept that crazy analogy.

Have fun!

VrikaMadFrenchie

rodarin said:
    I can just about guarantee you it took that long because they shelved it so they could milk and monetize every penny out of GTA V. Why compete against yourself if you dont have to?
    I don't need your garantee because I know and talk wth friend who been working in Rockstar for many years now xD 

They are given the freedom to take their time until the release date is announced what comparing to the entire dev timeframe is shortly before release, the profit prospects of the IPs as GTA are colossus on their own so they don't feel the need to pressure the studios with tight budgets.
    ArglebargleGdemami