Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zeal is a New ARPG with MMORPG Elements - See How It Looks - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageZeal is a New ARPG with MMORPG Elements - See How It Looks - MMORPG.com News

Zeal is an upcoming indie ARPG with MMO elements being developed by Lycanic Studios. It features instanced PvP modes, PvE, Conquest mode and much more. The game is currently in pre-alpha testing, but players are able to stream the game so that you can get a look at how development is progressing.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• achmedeachmede Member UncommonPosts: 215
    I love the spell animations.
    Im in.
    SBFord
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Ok .. check back with us in in one year
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,975
    I love real launches, I am waiting until then. :)
    Truvidien88d_20LeiloniTokkenSabrac
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Stop words to put news in my "to skip cause it's fake MMORPG news / scam / boring trash" list:

upcoming
    Kickstarter
    FPS
    Star Citizen
    SBFordBillMurphyZenJellyScot

Thank you for your time!

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Unlike most games that go to KickStarter with a vertical slice of a game, this one is much more fleshed out and seems to be pretty far along compared to most. I'll be interested to see how much they're looking for and what they have to say about the future if the KS doesn't reach the goal.

Either way, it looks good. I'll be watching.
    LeiloniScotLastlaughlol

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Color me interested.
    SBFordCorileanna
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Looks sweet, like the 3d take on it
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Looks good, but I've learned my lesson. Buying only games that are about to launch. Not gonna bother with supporting a game that "might" come out 5 years later.
    Scot
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited July 2018
    Looks interesting for sure, but one thing that caught my eye was the FAQ on their Discord. They said "90% of the Assets used in-game are placeholders, especially visuals. We are looking forward to our Kickstarter campaign to apply a visual enrichment that fits our game more."

So it's a bit unknown what the game's ultimate visual style will be which is a huge question mark for me since visuals are important. They have a few pieces of art on their website which look cool, so if it ends up being close to that it'll be nice.

Either way the combat actually looks pretty decent and this is only their pre-alpha, so I'm looking forward to seeing where they go from here. I don't love Arena - although honestly what I've seen in Twitch videos is a lot less annoying/better than the irritating CC fest I'm used to in other games so it might be ok here - but the idea of battlegrounds, dungeons, and conquest mode sounds like it would be fun when I'm in the mood for some action combat fun.
    ScotSovrathSabrac
    I feel like a dumbo asking this, but what does "agnostic" mean in this context?

"Classes are also role-agnostic."
    edited July 2018

DMKano said:

SBFord said:

Unlike most games that go to KickStarter with a vertical slice of a game, this one is much more fleshed out and seems to be pretty far along compared to most. I'll be interested to see how much they're looking for and what they have to say about the future if the KS doesn't reach the goal.

hmm the easiest thing to show is PvP with a few players in an arena.

Showing full fleshed out PvE with mobs, gear progression, questing etc... now that would impressive - as that takes a TON of time and work.

So it's hard to say how far along they based on PvP alone.

Also - ARPG - ughh - I know anything action is "ARPG" but in reality at least to many ARPG = Diablo/PoE/Grim Dawn/Torchlight style game.

I don't think they're doing questing or gear progression. From what I can tell the only PvE modes are group dungeons for 5 players or less with challenge modes, and campaigns that can be played in solo or co-op modes. But no open world with questing or anything. It strikes me as more of a GW1 type game but I've never played that so someone correct me if I'm wrong. But more like a modern take on something like that with more game modes.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Another on the pre-alpha list...get back to us in a couple years
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Leiloni said:

Role agnostic simply means that class =/= role in this context. Chances are, every class will have the ability to customize their role.
    LeiloniScotSovrath
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    keeping an eye on it..... we will SEE what happens.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

DMKano said:

SBFord said:

hmm the easiest thing to show is PvP with a few players in an arena.

Showing full fleshed out PvE with mobs, gear progression, questing etc... now that would impressive - as that takes a TON of time and work.

So it's hard to say how far along they based on PvP alone.

Also - ARPG - ughh - I know anything action is "ARPG" but in reality at least to many ARPG = Diablo/PoE/Grim Dawn/Torchlight style game.

That has bothered me as well. I've seen the term ARPG describe everything from Diablo to Dark Souls. It has to describe one or the other, and the other needs a new genre tag, because these two extremes are not even comparable beyond "it's an RPG in which you kill stuff."
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,975
    Aeander said:
    Leiloni said:

Role agnostic simply means that class =/= role in this context. Chances are, every class will have the ability to customize their role.
    I thought you were going to say there are no in game gods. :)
    edited July 2018
    Scot said:
    Aeander said:
    Leiloni said:

I thought you were going to say there are no in game gods. :)
    Real world or fictional, I would use the term realist, not agnostic.  ;)
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    edited July 2018
    I wonder if this ARPG is using the Unity Engine as well. Fractured and Last Epoch are using it.