Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you like for the game you play to have puzzles?

2»

Comments

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Actually difficult ones like "who dun'it", "switch puzzles", and similar are great for single player-ish portions.    But break down in multiplayer.

Somethings like that do handle well for multiplayer though.   Like an unrelated  player letting you through by hitting the "skip puzzle switch" when they've already made it through.

Some raid bosses play like puzzles to be honest.   Knowing when to swap tanks out, when to hold your healing, which buffs are best when, and similar are all very puzzle like.   And to be honest an expected part of the raid scene.

Jumping puzzles are nice once and a while.  But hopefully not something that should be seen often unless your game is all about movement tools like grappling hooks, mountain climbing, and other parkour-y things.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Why is it that when the thread asked about puzzles, so many people gave an answer about "jumping puzzles"?  Yes, I'm aware of the notion in Guild Wars 2, but GW2's jumping puzzles are not a type of puzzle.  And they don't work very well, either, because the physics of the terrain doesn't always match the graphics closely enough.  A puzzle that is partially about finding where you can stand that it looks like you can't or vice versa is more about debugging than puzzle solving.
    [Deleted User]ScotChimborazo
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited July 2018
    Mendel said:
    I love puzzles, but I'd prefer to not have them in my MMORPGs.  These days the formula is: Game + puzzle = spoiler site, and I'd rather not contribute to the downfall of Western society any more than I have to.
    It is possible to do puzzles which are unique for each player, that would really narrow down the kind of puzzles you could do, but its certainly one way to get round that.

But your downfall of western civilization did resonate, what is life if it just easy mode? Difficulty is the spice of life. :)
    Mendel
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    They usually end up being annoying, like in GW2.

So no.
  • ChimborazoChimborazo Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Quizzical said:
    Why is it that when the thread asked about puzzles, so many people gave an answer about "jumping puzzles"?  Yes, I'm aware of the notion in Guild Wars 2, but GW2's jumping puzzles are not a type of puzzle.  And they don't work very well, either, because the physics of the terrain doesn't always match the graphics closely enough.  A puzzle that is partially about finding where you can stand that it looks like you can't or vice versa is more about debugging than puzzle solving.
    That's the main issue about gw2 jumping puzzles: in platform games, that aspect is really well done (it's the core gameplay in the end) but in GW2 it's done quite poorly 
    Currently on: Guild Wars 2
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    No, I just like to kill people. I don't even like crafting or grinding, just killing players. And since AI either cheats or is bad, other players are the best to kill. Luckily MMOs are more and more moving in that direction as well as games in other genres. 

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Destiny 2 has many puzzles and secrets and I do enjoy them. First time through the Leviathan raid was overwhelming and the size of the maze like place that it is.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I enjoy most puzzles

I don't enjoy puzzles that are against the clock.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    I'm fine with puzzles that fit within the context of the setting, like those in Secret World generally. Puzzles for the sake of puzzles annoy me.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    First off, I loved the puzzles in the secret world during the beta.  There wasn't a cheat site to go to and if you got stuck the best thing you had for help was in chat. 

Puzzles in a release MMO tend to either be twitchy things that cause me pain, or mental things that many people just go to a website to get the answers for. 

Some of the raids in the original everquest had some interesting puzzles involved in beating them.

Overall, I don't think any important content should be gated behind a twitchy puzzle.  Puzzles are more an atmosphere thing. 

Vanguard Diplomacy was another good use of puzzles (that had much more potential promise in the beta though).

(You know, thinking about it, I have had a lot more fun in betas of MMOs than in the MMOs themselves).