Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What did you like about Trion?

2»

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Trion tarnished their own image,nobody did it for them.They deserve to be looked down on,i had already lost any and all faith in Trion right before AA came out,so i didn't even need to see the AA fiascal.

What they did right was create a "nice idea"in Rifts,they marketed the game well,perhaps a bit sketchy/dubious at times but it is what it is.After the nice idea nothing else was any good coming out of that studio.The Rift implementation was weak,automated in a very cheap way.They should have taken that wonderful idea and put a LOT of effort into it,a lot of depth,they would have come away with a lot of faithful customers.

The first time i set foot in game ,i am in some cheap looking warehouse,right away i thought pfft what a lazy effort to give such a weak initial feeling to customers.I saw the giant Rifts in the sky,it was like Canada's  Wonderland ..LET's GO,let's see them,once there ...sigh,nothing much to see here.
    Viper482alkarionlog

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• flametrenchflametrench Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Yes I play ArcheAge.  You guys needs to give Trion a break. Layoffs are horrible.

You think ArcheAge is pay to win?  Then you have never played Snail Games Age of Wushu.   Snail designed a beautiful game, and then they decimated their players by adding pay to win feature after pay to win feature.  EA could learn how to squeeze a customer from Snail.

Don't like Trion's customer support?  You never played Runewalker's Runes of Magic where the accidently permanently deleted players stored inventory, fired the US customer support, and decided to only provide customer support during German working hours. Yikes!

Viper482MikehaFrodoFraginsalkarionlog
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    ArcheAge is the only good game out right now, but their regrade system has beaten me down to the point that I'd rather look for early access beta to play or go back to DAoC.  I think when people call AA pay to win, this is what they are referring to. 

Sure, technically you can make money running packs or larders and use it to regrade gear, but in reality this would take years to work (an possibly never work) due to their completely busted regrade system, so people buy their way up.  You simply can't compete with someone that has bought their way to top gear and it's next to impossible to get there without spending money... unless you're running 5 accounts and have no life past the game.

Viper482
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I forget, TBH. There is only sadness and disappointment now. 
    Viper482

Joined - July 2004

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Yes I play ArcheAge.  You guys needs to give Trion a break. Layoffs are horrible.

You think ArcheAge is pay to win?  Then you have never played Snail Games Age of Wushu.   Snail designed a beautiful game, and then they decimated their players by adding pay to win feature after pay to win feature.  EA could learn how to squeeze a customer from Snail.

Don't like Trion's customer support?  You never played Runewalker's Runes of Magic where the accidently permanently deleted players stored inventory, fired the US customer support, and decided to only provide customer support during German working hours. Yikes!

Don't like the Spanish Inquisition? Let me tell you about the Holocaust. 

Don't like Donald Trump? Maybe you never heard of Adolf Hitler. 

Don't like losing a hand? I know a guy who lost a whole arm.

Don't like drowning? Better than being set on fire. 

I could go on and on. 
    FlyByKnightLokeroKefo
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I liked what they did with Rift at release. Loved the soul system, especially the Chloromancer soul. They also took the casual grouping we saw in Warhammer Online to  the next level with rift invasions. I thought quite highly of them back in those days.

They then got pretty scattered and I have no idea what their main focus is these days if they even have one.
    d_20
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Iselin said:
    I liked what they did with Rift at release. Loved the soul system, especially the Chloromancer soul. They also took the casual grouping we saw in Warhammer Online to  the next level with rift invasions. I thought quite highly of them back in those days.

They then got pretty scattered and I have no idea what their main focus is these days if they even have one.
    They have a focus now...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    It seems like Rift was the only game they got right. everything after has been just bad business decisions from the top. Today that focus to gamer's is just money. And Rift suffers for it too. I don't blame the devs i blame their bosses.
    d_20
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Archeage Alpha.

That is absolutely it.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    DMKano said:
    Sort of a strange question - I don't like anything about any game studio - as they are businesses and to me businesses are just not very "likable" 

I guess what I'm asking about can relate to "goodwill" which is a thing in business. So is "brand value." So in that sense, a company can be liked or not liked. There are certainly companies that people like very much and that do inspire customer loyalty or trust, which can be built up or lost.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Archeage is almost everything the genre should be gameplay wise and shouldn't be monetary wise.
    ultimateduck
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    Viper482 said:
    Iselin said:

They have a focus now...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    For profit games are for profit. It is the main focus of any product or service provider other than government, volunteer groups, and charities. What else would it be?
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Finding worse cases of P2W and customer service doesn't magical fix Trion's issues there
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    edited July 2018
    What's all the obsession with ArcheAge, I played it.. didn't think highly of it, I mean, it was not a bad game in any way or manner, but nothing about it jumped out at me to say "This is the game I wanna play", by comparison BDO was far more gripping.. and that game was semi-boring-to-tears with all that harvesting and just wandering around talking to people.
    Deddmeat
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Trion? well they renamed Defiance to Defiance 2050 (is literally the same game) .. is fun on the xbox one x to knock 10 or 20 minutes away

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    edited July 2018
    I remember being very happy with Rift's release, and soon measured every other game's release to Rift with how well it ran and how crisp it all seemed.

It sounds like Trion of old with Rift isn't that Trion any more, as I hear nothing but bad things about their other game releases.

I have their other games, as I tend to collect games I never fully plan to play for some unknown reason, but haven't put much time into them.

Gut Out!
    Post edited by Gutlard on
    d_20

What, me worry?

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    Deddmeat said:
    Trion? well they renamed Defiance to Defiance 2050 (is literally the same game) .. is fun on the xbox one x to knock 10 or 20 minutes away

I read many posts in the Defiance 2050 forum that suggested performance had improved on console over the original, aside from the other game changes you are choosing to pretend didn't happen for whatever reason (perhaps as they weren't as extensive as some would have liked.)

If stability did increase the shift to 2050 has at least some merit to it, with the changes to the classes and such being more debatable based on personal preference.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I remember originally when Rift came out, I was so happy about Trion, they were doing everything right with Rift, and the game was going so well. Defiance came out, and I was still aboard the Trion train. They kept both of the games updated, talked with the community, listened to feedback, and just seemed like a decent company back then. 

Once AA came out, they started pushing this "THIS WONT BE P2W, WE WONT DO ANYTHING TO RUIN THE GAME" banter, but then they tested the water with the Thunderstruck logs going into the cash shop, they saw how much people were willing to pay, and just kept going down the greed hill. It was insane. 

They can redeem themselves in my eyes, but they haven't done anything to do that. They are still all about the cash shop, all about getting fast cash out of games. Look at how Defiance 2050 launched. It is STILL in a buggy laggy state, but they throw "BUY THIS ITEM FROM THE CASH SHOP WITH THE X BUTTON" (on xbox one) on loading screens and when you load in. 
    d_20
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited July 2018
    I had a lot of respect for Trion years ago with how they handled Rift. If you watch some of the Rift promotional videos back when Rift was sub only. The team was enthusiastic, and they genuinely cared about making a great game.

Most of the Trion hate started with ArcheAge, and not all of it was under their control. I'm not defending them at all, but I had a lot of respect for them, unlike Nexon.
    Post edited by Allerleirauh on
    d_20
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I think they just stretched themselves too thin, in the end.

They came on the scene with smoke and thunder -- announcing not just Rift, but a total of 3 MMO type games in development.
    <Rift, Defiance, and... some kind of World of Tanks-esque game that got cancelled(I think?)>

They started off with a lot of creativity and plans.
    Rift was quite a success when it launched.
    Defiance was really unique and interesting with the way they tried the television crossover series.

I think the problem is when they started trying to publish other studios' games and all but abandoned their own projects. 
    They kind of put their own games on the bench and devoted all their time to games like ArcheAge which weren't fully in their control to start with.

They sort of neglected their own IPs, so the players started neglecting to play them.
    Then, at the same time, placed all their focus on those other games.  You can only do so much with another studio's IP.

They abandoned their own games, and the games they were publishing abandoned(figuratively) them.  So, really, some bad management and poor vision.

I liked their beginnings, as they started out as a visionary.  But they dug too far, too greedily.
    d_20
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Ungood said:
    What's all the obsession with ArcheAge, I played it.. didn't think highly of it, I mean, it was not a bad game in any way or manner, but nothing about it jumped out at me to say "This is the game I wanna play", by comparison BDO was far more gripping.. and that game was semi-boring-to-tears with all that harvesting and just wandering around talking to people.
    Millions play Candy Crush as well.  It's all opinion.  

I think the activities outside of killing and questing is what most like about it. 
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I think Trion fell apart when they started being more Publisher than Developer. Before that they were keen to be slightly innovative and had the balls to try take on the big guns (Blizzard). Their advertising campaigns were direct challenges aimed at WoW, and excellent publicity stunts, and I think that is one of the things that caused their positive early reputation. Hating WoW was the coolest thing around at the time.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.