Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few questions about starting ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
I'm leaving for work in a few.  I'll spend all day figuring out if I should take the plunge and play.  I'll stew on it and fester the idea. I hope when I come home you could answer a few questions: 

1) To jump in now with the 110 boost, are all the character features in place yet ? 
I ask this to not be confused twice, now and when BfA releases. 

2) I guess I'll get starter gear that will put me on track with an OK setup. 
Will I get bag space and starter money too, or be broke as hell. 

3) Will their be full content with BfA expansion to justify $60 for someone new 

4) Will you always be able to go back to Legion zones "and scale" if your 120 in BfA (for more content) 

5) Server or realm, I don't see why it matters with the constant zoning (maybe for Guilds) 
But please recommend a server or realm, and a secondary if I can't join the first. 

6) I'm thinking of playing a dps or healer Monk... It's a new class that I never played (been years) 
Are dps monks weaponless, someone on a YouTube mentioned that, but other videos seem to show different. 

7) This is kind of important to me: 
One fan made YouTube about new features with BfA, they say Blizzard will have a Discord Voice feature for communication. 
Will that be automatic for Guilds, and Groups, and friends playing together ? 

Someone mentioned, given my post history, they say I'll hate WoW now....This is why I have to think about it.  At the very least I could enjoy the battle grounds and Dungeons for 30 days.

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Well they have a Panda race, but no Gerbils/Muskrats, that's about all the help I can give. :)
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Scot said:
    Well they have a Panda race, but no Gerbils/Muskrats, that's about all the help I can give. :)
    You just don't like my mad hamster on a rock picture !
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Scot said:
    You just don't like my mad hamster on a rock picture !
    Ok it is a hamster, now I know. :)
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited July 2018
    OP, as it stands now, all you have to do is pay the 15$ sub and you get all content up to legion as long as you are subbed. If you want BFA features, like access to the new allied races (although you can do the requirements before purchasing the expansion), you'll have to buy the expansion (also I think there's one prepatch even that comes out a week before bfa launch that you need the expansion for in order to do). So to answer the rest of your questions, spend 15$ to see if its worth it and then decide later on when the expansion is about to release whether you want to keep playing or not.

If you do pay for the sub and want to play a melee that's relatively quick to endgame without wasting your boost, I'd suggest leveling death knight to 70 (which starts you out at 55) so you can unlock demon hunter, which starts you at around 100 once you clear all the beginner stuff for it. Doing that method should get you to about 110 in about a couple of days (although some people are reporting dungeons are having a current bug with clear exp not being given correctly, I'm not sure if its been hotfixed yet or not). Even if you dont end up liking demon hunter at 110, it'll be good for getting you some start up gold which will help you buy bags and stuff for your other toons that you decide to play later on.
    Albatroes said:
    OP, as it stands now, all you have to do is pay the 15$ sub and you get all content up to legion as long as you are subbed. If you want BFA features, like access to the new allied races (although you can do the requirements before purchasing the expansion), you'll have to buy the expansion (also I think there's one prepatch even that comes out a week before bfa launch that you need the expansion for in order to do). So to answer the rest of your questions, spend 15$ to see if its worth it and then decide later on when the expansion is about to release whether you want to keep playing or not.

If you do pay for the sub and want to play a melee that's relatively quick to endgame without wasting your boost, I'd suggest leveling death knight to 70 (which starts you out at 55) so you can unlock demon hunter, which starts you at around 100 once you clear all the beginner stuff for it. Doing that method should get you to about 110 in about a couple of days (although some people are reporting dungeons are having a current bug with clear exp not being given correctly, I'm not sure if its been hotfixed yet or not). Even if you dont end up liking demon hunter at 110, it'll be good for getting you some start up gold which will help you buy bags and stuff for your other toons that you decide to play later on.
    Thanks Albatroes, 
    To jump in at some point to WoW has always been a complicated equation. 
    It doesn't help that Blizzard HAS ALWAYS been evasive for any topic on their web site. Infact you did a better job of explaining this than Blizzard. 

I think I'm most motivated to play the new expansion more than giving the old content a trial run (I think I know what I'm in for).  It's more do I want to simply get a head start now or not. 

They have a $59.99 bundle that will give you everything including BfA and one month free. To pay $15 now, then buying the expansion seems to work out the same because your waving the free month. 

You would think since Blizzard created such complexity they should have an obligation to detail exactly, but they don't... You need to read message boards and sift through tons of YouTubes :(
    If I were to ask one question, it would be this: 
    - In Legion all zones scale to your level. 
    - In BfA all zones scale to your level. 

Will you be able to take your 120 level character back to Legion and scale for that content ? 

The reason this is most important: 
    I'll be taking the 110 boost and playing to 120.  When I run out of content, can I play the Legion content, or will it be out leveled ? 
    edited July 2018
    Sometimes If feel like it's not justified to play retail.  It's not the money, however it is a little expensive. 

I just logged into my emulator at 945EST, and it's already populated (Alliance alone). 
    1-10     15 players 
    11-20   18 players 
    21-30   9 players 
    60         14 players  
    As the day moves on, it will be packed.  

It's just that I played every class, know all the abilities and played the content to death.  But it's the diversity of the people make it ever changing that still makes it fun ! 

Just like to add, NOTHING broken about it, without going into detail, it works great.

Post edited by delete5230 on
    edited July 2018
    Yes, I don't think I could stomach what World of Warcraft has become. 

I watched several of this guys walkthrough episodes where he's solo open world questing in a bata BfA.  I'm not saying it looks totally linear but it's heavily scripted....Same ole, Same ole. 

The world is in a mess, everything is in a panic and the feeling of hurry up !  

In the first episode he is on screen with hundreds of others, doing dynamic events geared to rush the masses and no one taking any damage.  Later he is alone, but still scripted.  Very 5 year old like.  

If anything, I would love to play the old and new battle grounds and experience new dungeons... But nothing of interest in the open world itself....I would have to ignore the game's true intentions to play only the mini games. 

I don't care about graphics, however none of that improved anyway.  I could appreciate they found a good formula of coding and sticking with it so it can still play on a toaster and cheap laptops. 

But still NOTHING improved since Cataclysm in graphics or gameplay.  Just mix things around a bit. 

My intentions were good for about a week.
    I spent a lot of time justifying and lying to myself trying to like something that is mainstream, BUT after watching this guy's walkthrough's I can't !  

I may have a change of mind in a few weeks, but that would simply be a weak moment.  I hope I don't fall victim.....All because I really want an mmo to like.    

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Launch goes a little something like this. . .

Everyone waits for the exact second they can log on and all log in at once.  The servers get overloaded and there are log in issues.  Some people can log in and are happily racing through the content to that magical 120 and the rest are stuck at a login queue.

When they do finally get in, mayhem ensues.  You have 100 or so people all doing the same quests at the same time.  Things get one-shotted in an instant and you have no idea what was killed or why, you just know you have all been given credit for the kill because you happened to be in the area at the time.  This continues as the locust wave moves across the terrain.

Many of the players have been in beta and have mapped out the exact most efficient path to 120.  They don't stop for anything.  You won't be chatting with anyone.  No one has time to talk to anyone.  120 or bust is all that is on their mind.

In a day or two, yes merely days, you will see all the server firsts popping up on your screen,  They have essentially finished ALL that has been released that isn't considered a daily or rep grind already.  They will now spend all their time doing dailies, rep and gear grinds until the first major raid is released.

You wait a month or two after launch and gameplay is entirely different.  You actually have to play the game because it's only you killing the mob, not 100 people.  You won't see that instant quest completion again until you are at max level and doing world quests.  World quests are a locust fest very much akin to launch mayhem.

Oh, but you think warmode is going to be a blast.  That is until you realize that it has turned into a gank fest because that is what WoW PVP is.  Not objective driven, just kill whatever, and usually 6 on 1 because it's faster.  The idea behind warmode is never how the players will play it.  Just like battlegrounds are never played the way the developers intended.  People just farm HKs.  Look for the weak guy or the poor sap all by himself and gang rush em.

Whether you start at launch or start 6 months in, the game is always the same.  WoW players love it because they love their WoW.  They don't play anything else.  If its crap, they continue to play it because... it's WoW.

The fact that you keep asking yourself if you should or shouldn't means you are bored out of your skull right now and have nothing better to do with your time.  So kiss that $60 goodbye and take the plunge.  Once the game bores you to death, you can leave like the other millions that leave shortly after launch.  It's what Blizzard does best... short term buyers.

Whether you come here to admit you are playing it or not... you will.  You can't help yourself.

delete5230
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Sometimes If feel like it's not justified to play retail.  It's not the money, however it is a little expensive. 

I just logged into my emulator at 945EST, and it's already populated (Alliance alone). 
    1-10     15 players 
    11-20   18 players 
    21-30   9 players 
    60         14 players  

It's just that I played every class, know all the abilities and played the content to death.  But it's the diversity of the people make it ever changing that still makes it fun ! 

Just like to add, NOTHING broken about it, without going into detail, it works great.

I was thinking about re-subscribing but have had nothing but troubles even trying
    out of a lack of anything else available (cuz the current so-called mmo's are all $hit) was going to start playing this game again - Wow their "service" is such a unbelievable joke. First they couldn't find my old characters, then my old credit card info was stuck in their system and wouldn't let me change it/edit/delete then they cleared that out and now their system says " The card you entered is not supported. Please enter another card or try another payment method.", a card that is perfectly ordinary Visa card from a major old well established area bank... The gods are clearly telling me this is NOT a company you want anything to do with!

I'd very much like to hear about this emulator you mention, it sounds nice! I've enjoyed EverQuest P:1999 in the past

saker said:

1-10     15 players 
    11-20   18 players 
    21-30   9 players 
    60         14 players  

I was thinking about re-subscribing but have had nothing but troubles even trying
    out of a lack of anything else available (cuz the current so-called mmo's are all $hit) was going to start playing this game again - Wow their "service" is such a unbelievable joke. First they couldn't find my old characters, then my old credit card info was stuck in their system and wouldn't let me change it/edit/delete then they cleared that out and now their system says " The card you entered is not supported. Please enter another card or try another payment method.", a card that is perfectly ordinary Visa card from a major old well established area bank... The gods are clearly telling me this is NOT a company you want anything to do with!

I'd very much like to hear about this emulator you mention, it sounds nice! I've enjoyed EverQuest P:1999 in the past

Ill send you a PM