Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen and refunds.

Comments

• DurzaxDurzax Member UncommonPosts: 87
    edited July 2018
    [mod edit]

Common sense would inform the person/s in question that years after the fact of a their own free will expenditure they do not have any claim to a refund.
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Somebody said "risks of crowd funding" ummm LMAO,,what risk is there playing with money that is not your own?
    I am pretty sure that 100% of the people in these forums would gladly assume these so called risks for some free money.
    What is the risk,i might lose 50% of that money?Ok no problem,here give me a million,i'll lose 500k of that right away ,there you go ,no more risk.I'll just slide that 500k into a foreign bank account In Trinidad Tobago,now i can go into maintenance mode,thanks for your patronage.Oh but our game is still in development,i just need some more of that RISKY money to get started again !1.
    KefoScotchUp

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Durzax said:
    Common sense coming from you @kefo, oh that is rich.
    thanks for the laugh riot.

Common sense would inform the person/s in question that years after the fact of a their own free will expenditure they do not have any claim to a refund.
    You’re welcome! 

And do they have a complete product where they have been delivered everything that they were promised based on the amount of money they paid? 

No?

Guess CIG hasn’t held up their end of the contract so yeah people can still go for refunds 
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited July 2018
    Kefo said:
    You’re welcome! 

And do they have a complete product where they have been delivered everything that they were promised based on the amount of money they paid? 

No?

Guess CIG hasn’t held up their end of the contract so yeah people can still go for refunds 
    That's again assumptions based on reality gaps from law, as the lawyer guy update video on refunds explained quite well what it means in the matter of contractual basis, the ToS covers it and can't be challenged on the US (as no illegal activity involved), over it, the arbitration clause is imposing.

One has to get a lawyer involved to find out if you actually have the rights you think you have, this failed suit and the lawyer explanation of how it works in the US shown the clear reality gap on what was being said vs how it actually works.

The arguments I've seen brought to say they didn't held their end are extremely weak, such as the one money spend on game development and not marketing, as any company would easy shut that argument down as part of it, also they have their subs specific to funding that type of stuff.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    You’re welcome! 

No?

That's again assumptions based on reality gaps from law, as the lawyer guy update video on refunds explained quite well what it means in the matter of contractual basis, the ToS covers it and can't be challenged on the US (as no illegal activity involved), over it, the arbitration clause is imposing.

One has to get a lawyer involved to find out if you actually have the rights you think you have, this failed suit and the lawyer explanation of how it works in the US shown the clear reality gap on what was being said vs how it actually works.

The arguments I've seen brought to say they didn't held their end are extremely weak, such as the one money spend on game development and not marketing, as any company would easy shut that argument down as part of it, also they have their subs specific to funding that type of stuff.
    Good thing this isn’t just a US based product then. The real fun will begin when a European backer decides they want their money back and they have real consumer protection laws backing them up
    ScotchUpBabuinix
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited July 2018
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    You’re welcome! 

No?

Good thing this isn’t just a US based product then. The real fun will begin when a European backer decides they want their money back and they have real consumer protection laws backing them up
    Interesting though, out of tens of thousands of backers SC must have, not one legal challenge by anyone  living in the EU?

Weird.
    Post edited by Kyleran on
    Babuinix

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Kyleran said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    You’re welcome! 

No?

Interesting though, out of tens of thousands of backers SC must have, not one legal challenge by anyone reading in the EU?

Weird.
    Roman law mostly, usually not English case law. 

Less insane than the US court system. Less gold diggers on all sides. 

Not always fair or just, but always according to the law. Even if that means they have to discuss and create that EU wide law first.

(Mostly) logical, not weird. 

Have fun

Kefo
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Kyleran said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    You’re welcome! 

No?

Interesting though, out of tens of thousands of backers SC must have, not one legal challenge by anyone reading in the EU?

Weird.
    Nah, we are a pretty chill people. Maybe it is because we are very wealthty so we don't mind throwing a couple of grand to a struggling company and their poor owner, like CIG and Roberts. Perhaps its the best wine and cheese in the world, or the gorgeous totally not obese women we surround ourselves with. I don't know, we just complain very little.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    PhaserlightBabuinix
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited July 2018
    lahnmir said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    You’re welcome! 

No?

Weird.
    Nah, we are a pretty chill people. Maybe it is because we are very wealthty so we don't mind throwing a couple of grand to a struggling company and their poor owner, like CIG and Roberts. Perhaps its the best wine and cheese in the world, or the gorgeous totally not obese women we surround ourselves with. I don't know, we just complain very little.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    The free health care and legalized pot probably doesn't hurt either, nor do you have to carry firearms when going to the movies. (Don't laugh, I have)

No wonder we're mostly insane here.  ;)

BabuinixOctagon7711

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

lahnmir said:
    Nah, we are a pretty chill people.

--> True.

Maybe it is because we are very wealthty

--> Some.

so we don't mind throwing a couple of grand to a struggling company and their poor owner

--> Nestle ?

, like CIG and Roberts. Perhaps its the best wine

--> ** sigh ** France

and cheese

--> ** sigh ** Switzerland

in the world, or the gorgeous totally not obese women we surround ourselves with

--> ** sigh ** Spain

. I don't know, we just complain very little.

--> ** sigh ** if only ....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

--> Have fun

Phry
    Erillion said:
    lahnmir said:

--> True.

--> Some.

so we don't mind throwing a couple of grand to a struggling company and their poor owner

--> Nestle ?

--> ** sigh ** France

and cheese

in the world, or the gorgeous totally not obese women we surround ourselves with

--> ** sigh ** Spain

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

--> Have fun

I assume @lahnmir lives in some Euro paradise like Belgium.

My daughter wants to move there after finding out their teachers are the highest paid in the world, almost double the US I think.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Kyleran said:
    Erillion said:
    lahnmir said:

--> True.

--> Some.

--> Nestle ?

--> ** sigh ** France

and cheese

--> ** sigh ** Spain

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

--> Have fun

I assume @lahnmir lives in some Euro paradise like Belgium.

My daughter wants to move there after finding out their teachers are the highest paid in the world, almost double the US I think.

I'm Dutch actually, we rate ourselves slightly above Belgium, oh so slightly  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    KyleranBabuinix
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

lahnmir said:
    I'm Dutch actually, we rate ourselves slightly above Belgium, oh so slightly  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    With the average height of Dutch people your are "above" just about everyone worldwide ;-)

Have fun

lahnmir
    Erillion said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    With the average height of Dutch people your are "above" just about everyone worldwide ;-)

Have fun

And here they tell us pot smoking will stunt your growth, go figure....

;)

Erillion said:

Have fun

Agreed, evil Dutch and their "above" than everyone else standards. //wants its trade routes back
    edited July 2018
    Kyleran said:

;)
    In Portugal drugs are pretty much legal, turns out we have extremely good numbers in terms of crime, health problems and such related to it, they make studies worldwide asking themselves how. All is chill, I guess that's why Americans are always so angry, oh and the British they also like to be angry at something (interestingly weed is also illegal there).

So if anything happens it's likely going to be by the British, not really seeing it from Europeans, maybe on Germany.
    MaxBacon said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    In Portugal drugs are pretty much legal, turns out we have extremely good numbers in terms of crime, health problems and such related to it, they make studies worldwide asking themselves how. All is chill, I guess that's why Americans are always so angry, oh and the British they also like to be angry at something (interestingly weed is also illegal there).

So if anything happens it's likely going to be by the British, not really seeing it from Europeans, maybe on Germany.
    Now there is a country that rarely makes the news here, wasn't sure it still existed. 

;)

edited July 2018
    Kyleran said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

Now there is a country that rarely makes the news here, wasn't sure it still existed. 

;)
    And they do play Star Citizen there too ;-) They know what is good and how to live well. Got a pal in Lisboa. 

Have fun
    Kyleran
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Wizardry said:
    Somebody said "risks of crowd funding" ummm LMAO,,what risk is there playing with money that is not your own?
    I am pretty sure that 100% of the people in these forums would gladly assume these so called risks for some free money.
    What is the risk,i might lose 50% of that money?Ok no problem,here give me a million,i'll lose 500k of that right away ,there you go ,no more risk.I'll just slide that 500k into a foreign bank account In Trinidad Tobago,now i can go into maintenance mode,thanks for your patronage.Oh but our game is still in development,i just need some more of that RISKY money to get started again !1.
    i bet you are a good businessman, ait? ^^

seriously... if you ask for a refund after playing for what now, 2 or 3 years? then you are either drunk, an asshole, or just a weirdo.
    Babuinix

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Thane said:
    Wizardry said:
    i bet you are a good businessman, ait? ^^

seriously... if you ask for a refund after playing for what now, 2 or 3 years? then you are either drunk, an asshole, or just a weirdo.
    He was not playing, he was alpha-testing and bug-reporting.
    Octagon7711
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited July 2018
    Depending on what ships one buys (of which a lot more than half have been sold but aren't yet playable, including the biggest most expensive capital ships), one might not even be able to alpha-test the item they purchased.
    Tiamat64 said:
    Depending on what ships one buys (of which a lot more than half have been sold but aren't yet playable, including the biggest most expensive capital ships), one might not even be able to alpha-test the item they purchased.
    I doubt they will come out of testing until all ships have been delivered into the game for a reasonable time.

Players just may not be able to test them any time in the near future.   Perhaps in 2020 sometime.

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited July 2018
    It's almost like people were forced to give money to cig lol

Basic package = Full access to all the content

Rest is just a bonus to extend the support of game development.

Seems like crowdfunding is still hard to grasp for some folks  :D
  • ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Babuinix said:
    It's almost like people were forced to give money to cig lol

Basic package = Full access to all the content

Rest is just a bonus to extend the support of game development.

Seems like crowdfunding is still hard to grasp for some folks  :D
    It's not the crowdfunding (granted if SC never releases like Roberts promised it will hurt crowdfunding} it's the part when people start thinking scam.
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
    Babuinix said:

Rest is just a bonus to extend  the delivery date of the two games.

Corrected a typo in your post. No need to thank me, keeping people accurate is all part of the service.

;)
    ScotchUp