Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When will Caspien get realistic?

2»

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,592
    KS MMO.
    At the very least massive delays are to be expected. Provided we ever see a full game at all.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,399
    Albatroes said:
    Albatroes said:
    I'm thinking something crazy but what if they aren't really planning to make a game?
    See, I totally think he believes what he says.  It’s just been pure incompetence and not an intentional scam IMHO.
    Idk man. All these "delays" and not being completely upfront about what the KS was actually for until a later date sends too many signals to me, like that guy who "tried" to develop divergence online or whatever. That guy opened up a KS like once a year or something, getting between 50-100k each time then claiming he couldn't "finish" the project, even going as far to change the name once or twice to get money from gullibles. To me, Caspien is just trying to ride this thing out as long as he can until there's nothing left to milk.
    I'm with Slap on this one.

I have absolutely no faith in the CoE project, but I fully believe that Caspien genuinely wants to make the game and is passionate about it.

I think he's just completely in over his head and has no clue what he's doing or how to actually lead such a big project.(read: incompetent)

I think he's a delusional dreamer, but that he's (trying to)following that dream :persevere:
    craftseekerShaighGdemamiOctagon7711
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 10,455
    Lokero said:
    Albatroes said:
    Albatroes said:
    I'm thinking something crazy but what if they aren't really planning to make a game?
    See, I totally think he believes what he says.  It’s just been pure incompetence and not an intentional scam IMHO.
    Idk man. All these "delays" and not being completely upfront about what the KS was actually for until a later date sends too many signals to me, like that guy who "tried" to develop divergence online or whatever. That guy opened up a KS like once a year or something, getting between 50-100k each time then claiming he couldn't "finish" the project, even going as far to change the name once or twice to get money from gullibles. To me, Caspien is just trying to ride this thing out as long as he can until there's nothing left to milk.
    I'm with Slap on this one.

I have absolutely no faith in the CoE project, but I fully believe that Caspien genuinely wants to make the game and is passionate about it.

I think he's just completely in over his head and has no clue what he's doing or how to actually lead such a big project.(read: incompetent)

I think he's a delusional dreamer, but that he's (trying to)following that dream :persevere:
    Yup.  IMHO the root problem is his inability to admit reality.  I think a perfect example was the SpatialOS thing.  One month he’s talking about how great it is and then a month or two later he announces that they had to ditch it, but not to worry because he had already replaced most of its functionality with off the shelf stuff. This was the software he called the fabric the game was built on.  It was announced as the answer to all doubters, yet no big deal to replace it.  

It was his chance to just come clean.  Now here we are...7-8 months later... still waiting on the start of the pre-Alpha VoxElyria.  Still touting the line that All Is Well... just like the Captain of the Titanic. He reminds me of Brad McQuaid in many ways.  Some folks are just not meant to be the CEO. Let them dream, but let someone else run the business.

PS- Welcome back Mystic
    pantaroGdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,315
    Albatroes said:
    I believe that they are sincerely trying to make a game,  which is why they have still kept their loyalty base as it where. There is something about a passionate dream that makes you want to root for and believe in them.

JW has bet his house, and many others on his team have no doubt taken pay cuts and bet their dependable jobs for this venture, just as a new studio, they really don't have the experience to understand what they have gotten into, and have put unrealistic expectations on what they could accomplish.

Much in the same way I have seen people bid on projects, and while  my employer wanted to take them because they were a low price and offered a good completion date, I had to flatly turn them down, because it was clear from their bid, that they really had no idea what the project entailed.

Happens with many "dollar and a dream" businesses, no surprise to me that it would happen with KS MMO's.

But.. I still wish them the best.
    Gdemami
    Currently Playing Eternal Crusade, because no matter who wins, a bunch of cheaters lost.
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member UncommonPosts: 301
    I am worried about the project, the delays/team attitude have turned me from an optimist to a pessimist in regards this project.

Also the amount the game has changed from pre ks is very upsetting to me as I was eager then.

I joined the kick starter in a hope we could show that popular trends are not always the best way to go. I don't regret that decision because I still hope we can show it is viable to build a game people want instead of what's best commercially.

Do I think CoE will do it.... 

Ask me in 2025 when it's released... 

MendelGdemami
    If I'm still alive
    KyleranWellspring
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 10,455
    edited July 2018
    AnOldFart said:
    I am worried about the project, the delays/team attitude have turned me from an optimist to a pessimist in regards this project.

Also the amount the game has changed from pre ks is very upsetting to me as I was eager then.

I joined the kick starter in a hope we could show that popular trends are not always the best way to go. I don't regret that decision because I still hope we can show it is viable to build a game people want instead of what's best commercially.

It's OK.  Caspien has been working on a new "event" tied into fundraising and will contribute a portion to charity. The event will start in about 2 weeks and run to around Labor Day.  Look for updates on the monthlong sale shortly.

#ALLISWELL

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    AnOldFart

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

edited July 2018
    AnOldFart said:

It's OK.  Caspien has been working on a new "event" tied into fundraising and will contribute a portion to charity. The event will start in about 2 weeks and run to around Labor Day.  Look for updates on the monthlong sale shortly.

#ALLISWELL

Sigh, 

Well at least I've got £19 store credit for pre kick-starter influence
  • WBadgerWBadger Member UncommonPosts: 252
    edited September 2018
    Seeing as his entire pitch was based off of an extremely unrealistic time frame for a unrealistic kitchen sink game

Probably never. Honestly, he should just come out and say "We don't know when it'll be finished.  Our timeline was unrealistic, coming soon™."  If you are just entering developing stage/funding stage, the worst thing you can do is give people a timeline for when things will be expected to be up and running because you can not predict bugs, syntax errors, features that simply will not work with each other; so now you have to push the timeline back.  And make people angry.  And then more bugs, and push the timeline back, and make people angrier.  Tell people when it is coming out when you actually have a completed, bug-tested product, instead of putting a rope up to hang yourself with by giving a date that is wholly unrealistic when you have barely even started to work on the project.

If I was to go off the adage of a dollar an hour for entertainment though, I'd be bankrupt from how much enjoyment I'm getting watching the drama continue

Gdemami