Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First-person play and combat?

Does DAOC have first-person play and combat? 

To me, click and watch, like in Guild Wars, is like if in a racing game you had to drive your car from a blimp, and I have no interest in a game with that kind of play.

Watch the latest episode of "The Guild" and other Pwnage videos from around the net--also post your own: http://PwnerTV.com

Comments

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

Like, FPS combat? Or just the ability to go first person?

Because the combat is point and click, but you can go into first-person mode...

If you want the FPS combat though, and really hate the 3rd-person view, you won't find it in any MMORPGs. Maybe you should try playing Morrowind...

-Machiavelli

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Darkfall, if it ever comes out, is supposed to be played in first person mode while engaged in combat.

Joined - July 2004

• FadinawayFadinaway Member Posts: 270

Planetside i s not as much a MMO, but close and it is a true FPS.

Neocron has FPS "style" play.
    Auto Assault gives a feeling of FPS style.

Several of the new generation games are going to have the more interactive feel to them.

Conan
    and
    Fallen Earth
    are two that show promise in that area.

Fadinaway
    Playerbase Solutions
    http://www.playerbasesolutions.com

• ExpatriateExpatriate Member Posts: 202

Originally posted by ViolentY

Like, FPS combat? Or just the ability to go first person?
    Because the combat is point and click, but you can go into first-person mode...
    If you want the FPS combat though, and really hate the 3rd-person view, you won't find it in any MMORPGs. Maybe you should try playing Morrowind...

Yes you will--I currently play RYL which is first-person or click-and-watch--you switch by hitting the esc key. 

Watch the latest episode of "The Guild" and other Pwnage videos from around the net--also post your own: http://PwnerTV.com

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

You hit F11 to get to first person mode.

I would not say it is click and watch per se.  That reminds me of EQ.  You can just click and watch, but you have a huge amount of abilities you can use.  If you are a tank, many of the abilites require you to pay attention to the combat such as if you evade, parry, or blocked. 

• prycelesspryceless Member Posts: 25
    Maplestory would be a great game for you to try. you can get it at www.mapleglobal.com. It is a MMORG where you wwalk around and fight.   
  • ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

Originally posted by pryceless
    It is a MMORG where you wwalk around and fight.

Is this true? Can anyone confirm this?

Originally posted by Expatriate
    Yes you will--I currently play RYL which is first-person or click-and-watch--you switch by hitting the esc key.

RYL is a third-person shooter... Though if I remember right, I think they had a way to get into first person. If this is true, I apologize--there is one MMORPG that has actual first-person combat.

-Machiavelli

• ExpatriateExpatriate Member Posts: 202

No ViolentY, RYL is first-person or click-and-watch--I wouldn't be playing it if it didn't have first-person combat.

In RYL, hit esc key or w to start walking to go into first-person mode.  Hit esc key again to go into click-and-watch (third-person) mode.

First-person needs to be better defined.  I divide it into first-person through eyes (fpte) or first-person from behind (fpfb).

Normally, fpte is not useful because the computer screen gives us a narrow field of view and we don't have the senses we have in real-life which tell us our body position and what our arms are doing, etc., so we need to use fpfb to see our character's position and sword swings, etc.

fpte works ok in a lot of shooters because you're just sighting a gun, but in hand-to-hand melee combat, you need to use fpfb.

I think click-and-watch combat like in Guild Wars is boring and lame.  They have first-person movement, so why didn't they go the extra-mile and make first-person combat? 

If a company can't be bothered programming that, they won't have me as a customer.  Unfortunately, I just assumed a new game would have first-person combat and paid before I played--that won't happen again.