Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOTA dev just said they have 255,000 registered players

13»

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    It's Wordsmithing.  It's just as meaningless as when developers talk about hundreds of thousands of forum accounts.  

So, I take it to mean that since inception they have had 255000 accounts created but of those just low single digits still play.

I would be one of those players. . backed. . logged in at some point (created account etc. to do that) never went back. . yet.
    JamesGoblin

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Xee2018Xee2018 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Not that this means anything saw another person in the forums post when we were talking about the new bind anywhere that is coming in the future.  I thought my list of friends was big with around 1000 peoples this guy has a lot more. 
    I know.  It's very sad.  People with friends lists with many thousands of player names listed and still only a few dozen to a hundred or so players online.  It's no secret that close to 70k accounts have been sold since Kickstarter but only a few people online at a time.

SotA Trivia: For the players that were here since the beginning, even through all the updates, never has Portalarium wiped or reset a Friend List.  The list always carried over, so these players with many thousands of Friends have been collecting names for five years now.

He is talking active players for teleporting.  you can't teleport to offline peoples.  This is what myself and others were stating that some of us have massive lists of online people.  which is why we know along with what Richard has stated that steam is not the primary launcher for the game.  I do know why you keep bringing it up as its the only metric you have that you can see, unless you are a player who has a large friends list then you know that 100-300 players from steam are only a fraction of the players.  you wont take Richards word for it which he mentioned in Eurogamer mag. that most the players play on the original game client.  Whats your ingame name so I can see when you played last or pull up the metrics on you from sota.wiki site :) 
    Do you have any proof?  I've heard devs say that Steam numbers represent a third or half of the numbers, but that was prior to commercial launch.  Quite a bit more than a fraction, and still not accurate or representative of current numbers.  

Portalarium won't provide the means to show current player numbers in real time.

No player has ever produced even a screenshot showing more than a hundred or so players active.

Please prove everyone wrong, show proof.

Well you linked this on the start of this thread which was numbers from RG. in the Euro gamer interview: 

Firstly, "The majority of players don't play on Steam," he told me. "We are in the many thousands but not in the many tens of thousands of monthly active users at the moment. We'd be quite content with tens of thousands of monthly active users, and we're within shooting range of that.

So that is proof enough that there are many thousands of active users.  not tens of thousands.

As to proof from players that is a hard one to so as the players lists are not exportable, and only show a limited number on the list.  one can only provide a screen shot of the first part of the friends list and show the scroll bar.  It would take a lot of screens for someone to capture a complete list as they would have to scroll down take a picture and repeat however many times.  I can understand why nobody would want to take the time to go through all that just to prove to 5 people on this forum.   So simple matter would be so state what the devs state for numbers.

It says right there from the quote the Majority of players don't play on steam.   That is the proof that your Steam number means very little that you seem to believe is the number.

Either way there is more then enough people and revenue to keep the game going.  there was a twitch stream where Chris responded after the layoffs that the company is making profits and not in an bad place as well that the servers are very cheap to maintain and run which he stated worst case if cash flow stopped it would still be able to run on a shoe string budget.

So your opinion is unfounded and the proof you already provided but you choose to not believe it. 
    All that really matters is if there are enough players to have an enjoyable experience and if those generate enough revenue for the company to thrive.

No idea on the first part but it’s obvious they are struggling with the revenue.  

The revenue part, Portalarium is on record saying they need 50,000 players monthly to be profitable.  They said that during the Seed Invest campaign in 2017.
    They stated they would love to have 50,000 players as that would be very profitable, they also stated they are profitable now with the few thousands of active players.
    JamesGoblin
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Xee2018 said:
    All that really matters is if there are enough players to have an enjoyable experience and if those generate enough revenue for the company to thrive.

No idea on the first part but it’s obvious they are struggling with the revenue.  

The revenue part, Portalarium is on record saying they need 50,000 players monthly to be profitable.  They said that during the Seed Invest campaign in 2017.
    They stated they would love to have 50,000 players as that would be very profitable, they also stated they are profitable now with the few thousands of active players.
    Nope.  Wrong again.

What Portalarium's Executive Produced said was:

time 7m 18s

https://youtu.be/bWenXbYNTQY?t=7m18s

at a modest number, we only need about 50k people per month active users to be profitable and that's a pretty low number considering that the fan base for a Richard Garriott Ultima game is in the millions

JamesGoblin
  • DracSchniderDracSchnider Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Xee2018 said:

Nope.  Wrong again.

time 7m 18s

at a modest number, we only need about 50k people per month active users to be profitable and that's a pretty low number considering that the fan base for a Richard Garriott Ultima game is in the millions

That was in 2017 a year ago.  There was a more recent twitch stream where the question was asked in the QA if the company was profitable and in financial trouble.   Chris and Darkstarr said no and that even if it ever did get to that point they servers are very cheap to maintain and would be around for a long time.   There was more to the response but that was the overall message.
    blorpykinsJamesGoblin
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2018
    Xee2018 said:

Nope.  Wrong again.

time 7m 18s

That was in 2017 a year ago.  There was a more recent twitch stream where the question was asked in the QA if the company was profitable and in financial trouble.   Chris and Darkstarr said no and that even if it ever did get to that point they servers are very cheap to maintain and would be around for a long time.   There was more to the response but that was the overall message.
    Link or it didn't happen. (You know the mentality around here)

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Xee2018 said:

Nope.  Wrong again.

time 7m 18s

Was that before or after they laid off half their team?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DracSchniderDracSchnider Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Xee2018 said:

Nope.  Wrong again.

time 7m 18s

Kyleran said:
    Xee2018 said:

Nope.  Wrong again.

time 7m 18s

;)

you can watch the last 5 twitch streams.  its in one of them.  I am not going to watch them to find it, but all have access to them :) Id start around the time they downsized the team.
    Xee2018 said:

Nope.  Wrong again.

time 7m 18s

Kyleran said:
    Xee2018 said:

Nope.  Wrong again.

time 7m 18s

;)

you can watch the last 5 twitch streams.  its in one of them.  I am not going to watch them to find it, but all have access to them :) Id start around the time they downsized the team.
    I never have watched twitch stream yet, think I'll stick with keeping my record intact for now.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Here's the link to a short investment pitch video. This is where Darkstarr tells the world and all the investors how they will launch the game on Xbox, PS4, mobile, and he says they need 50,000 active players monthly to be profitable.

JamesGoblin
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    So they haven't got 50 k players ? I don't follow this game just curious if they got 50k players .
    Chamber of Chains
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    250k - we know - is pretty meaningless. DnL had over 500k pre-launch. As someone who doesn't play SotA however I don't care one way or the other.

What matters is whether the people who play like the game. And whether there is enough money coming in to keep the game running / moving forward.

And I hope there is - I don't see any reason to disparage other peoples fun.

VladamirBegemot
    cheyane said:
    So they haven't got 50 k players ? I don't follow this game just curious if they got 50k players .
    Steamcharts shows 87 logged in right now.  It averages over 100 concurrent players most of the time. https://steamcharts.com/app/326160
    JamesGoblin
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    cheyane said:
    Steamcharts shows 87 logged in right now.  It averages over 100 concurrent players most of the time. https://steamcharts.com/app/326160
    OMG wow that is abysmal.
    JamesGoblin
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    cheyane said:
    OMG wow that is abysmal.
    It should also mentioned despite Steam numbers not being the golden source, RG stated earlier this year after the layoff annoucement they had "thousands" of players but not tens of thousands of players.

So some figure under 10K would probably be a reasonable estimate.
    blorpykins

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    What does the total number of ongoing players have to do with their ability to stay afloat?  It’s about needing X dollars.  If they have a few deep pocketed fans donating through begathons maybe that’s enough...

Now how many players they need to make the game feel fun and populated is a different story.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

blorpykins said:
    Here's the link to a short investment pitch video. This is where Darkstarr tells the world and all the investors how they will launch the game on Xbox, PS4, mobile, and he says they need 50,000 active players monthly to be profitable.

This was taken in 2017.  We are a year past that and still running and expanding.Kyleran said:
    cheyane said:
    blorpykins said:
    cheyane said:
    OMG wow that is abysmal.
    It should also mentioned despite Steam numbers not being the golden source, RG stated earlier this year after the layoff annoucement they had "thousands" of players but not tens of thousands of players.

So some figure under 10K would probably be a reasonable estimate.
    That is correct its also in Blorpykins original post where they state that Steam is not what the majority of the players use for the launcher, and that they are in the thousands.  Which people keep using steam as if its the be all even though its been stated otherwise by the developers and Richard. 

They also as Darcschnider stated in a recent QA not long ago were asked about the the layoffs and the state of the company which they replied that they are not in any bad position and that the server in a worst case scenario be able to be maintained for next to nothing.   That was Chris that responded with DarkStarr in the Twitch QA.  This was indeed mentioned after the downsize.

As to the current state of the game its been progressing very well.  They have announced last twitch Q4 development for the next 3 months and what they are working on.   

The game is getting to the point now with the quality of life changes to make it support more casual players and the prices because of some recent changes has made it easy for all to catch up to those that have been playing for sometime.   I do know of a few major player traders that left because of these changes as it devalued much of the player market which is really good as new players can now compete and catch up rather easy now with those that have been playing for a long time. 

It use to take forever to get GM's over the last two years, and now a person can get GM's in a day with no problems (lower xp costing ones, some still take a long, time to get).   They added quest buffs to boost skill leveling, as well potions to boost it on top of that 300% so leveling is super fast.  Group with a GM and you can do it for a fraction of the xp requirements which saves your xp pool.

28 new people added to my friends list this weekend alone.  Its been like that every weekend this last two months.  There is many new players coming.   There is also many of backers now coming back since they got their boxes in the mail.   We had 2 old 2014 backers coming back this weekend who have not played in a long, long time. 
    VladamirBegemot
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    These days I refuse to even signup early for games. They will use my data to boost their numbers. 
    JamesGoblin