Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - Bill Murphy - ArenaNet and the Wisdom of Not Doing Anything - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    edited July 2018
    SBFord said:
    The Verge has put up a lengthy, but well-researched and documented article titled "ArenaNet firings cast a chill shadow over the games industry". It's not short and it goes far beyond the Price firing. It's a good read for those inclined to see the wider impact of this week's events.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/12/17565218/arenanet-guild-wars-firing-games-social-media-harassment

“This incident makes very clear the perils of social media for game developers, especially when transparent and well-understood guidelines for staff members are not in place,” the IGDA post reads. “Game developers are also frequently targeted for harassment, particularly if they are members of under-represented communities. Companies must plan for how they will support their staff members in the event of online harassment, and should clearly communicate the resources they will make available to their team to have safe, productive, and positive interactions online, especially if they are expected to do so in their roles.”

Except she was not harassed in this case.
    Had she been harassed, Deroir would have been banned and lost his partnership with Arenanet.

Would have that been the fair conclusion for this story?
    Jessica Price accused Deroir of sexism (she retweeted his tweet when she said "a day in being a female developer").
    Either it is true or not.

She was not harassed. She started the harassment.

Developers need guidance?
    How about "don't be an ass in social media, especially towards someone that is being polite, regardless of his lack of knowledge".
    Another one for the cases someone is actually harassing "don't feed the trolls".

Again, she was not harassed. She started the harassment.

Anything about sexism in the gaming industry or fear of being mob targeted are completely irrelevant to this matter.

She was fired because she was an ass (more than once) towards a polite fan in social media while stating she is an Arenanet employee and talking/using Guild Wars 2 in her tweets.
    EponyxDamorTacticalZombehNepheth[Deleted User]

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Hate to tell you boys, but inequality and sexism are very much alive in the workforce.  If it were not the case, I wouldn't have received an award from a class action lawsuit... twice from my previous employer... for breaking the same damn rules.  Times may be different now, but the issues still remain.  Anyone saying otherwise is either a male, incredibly lucky, or so oblivious to it that they don't even know that it's happening.

You don't know this individual's entire history at their workplace.  You can't say whether sexism was or was not involved because you weren't there to witness it.  You're merely commenting on hearsay anecdotes available on the web.  And lord knows, everything you read on the internet is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Ungood
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    edited July 2018
    SBFord said:
    The Verge has put up a lengthy, but well-researched and documented article titled "ArenaNet firings cast a chill shadow over the games industry". It's not short and it goes far beyond the Price firing. It's a good read for those inclined to see the wider impact of this week's events.

I dunno...it was an interesting read. Not sure it changes anything though. :D

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/12/17565218/arenanet-guild-wars-firing-games-social-media-harassment

“This incident makes very clear the perils of social media for game developers, especially when transparent and well-understood guidelines for staff members are not in place,” the IGDA post reads. “Game developers are also frequently targeted for harassment, particularly if they are members of under-represented communities. Companies must plan for how they will support their staff members in the event of online harassment, and should clearly communicate the resources they will make available to their team to have safe, productive, and positive interactions online, especially if they are expected to do so in their roles.”

looks like a generic hit piece to me.

speaking of hit piece why don't you post the Forbes article that came out on the 2 days ago trashing john bain so everyone can see how the industry views its fan base.
    JeffSpicoliAeander[Deleted User]
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,171
    Leiloni said:
    SBFord said:

Then to that, we disagree.  I don't believe what he did was nearly as bad, and he seemed much more reasonable.

From the perspective of a boss, which I've been over departments before, it comes down to the work though.  It doesn't seem like they valued either of them,  but if Fries work was valued at all, it would not have been too tough to have kept him.  

This entire conversation would be largely the same if Fries kept his job.  You'd still have some people who would want him fired, which would be largely overblown, but it wouldn't be any kind of outrage from anyone else apart from those pushing a sexism agenda. "He kept the job she lost the job"  but in an infraction sense, she was way worse than he was.

And that's likely why he was fired in the first place, not from his comments, as Price was too quick to cry sexism, if he didn't get fired, MO would have plenty of allegations thrown his way from her about why she was let go and peter wasn't....  His "defense" of her actions was really a half ass defense, however misguided an illogical as it was, but hardly attacking customers.

And that goes back into why firing them both was the easiest thing. Why MO did what was easy, not necessarily what was "heroic".
    They both acted with appalling arrogance and lack of forethought, and tarnished the reputation of a company and brand name of which they are only a small part. So a business decision had to be made, and business decisions by their very nature are rarely kind.

As my former boss once said, "It's not personal, it's just business." She was explaining to us how she dealt with situations at work where her initial reaction was somewhat emotional. This line was her way of reminding herself that there's no reason to be upset or anything else because at the end of the day, work related decisions are made to get the job done and for the best of the company, not because of any personal feelings about a person or situation.
     That's not always the ideal way to think about things in all cases though.  Compassion has its place in business.  What is great for business isn't always the best way to handle a situation. It's kind of backwards, show compassion to the customers but not to your employees, because "business is business".

Just the other day a story of a manager not showing compassion to an employee got that manager fired.  It's all circumstantial.

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    SBFord said:

The problem with all these articles is that no matter how many words you throw in, garbage is garbage. They are all a list of excuses why she was fired, not reasons.

Sure, there is definitely an issue with the mob mentality, particularly from certain sites, and their ability to raise enough stink to cause an investigation. That is a problem, but it wasn't the problem here.

She was fired because she was a complete shithead to someone, absolutely unwarranted. She then threw sexism in where it didn't exist. She then, and now, continues to double down on her imaginary crusade. People get fired for getting busted being a shithead on social media when it is absolutely and completely NOT related to their job. Every day. THAT is the reason for all this. The rest is crying wolf.

I hate paying my bills. It feels very oppressive. I don't bitch out the mailwoman for bringing them though. 

If there is such an issue with sexism then take it up within the industry. Don't take it out on random people who engage with you socially in an arena that is for... social interaction, where you posted publicly and indirectly invited... social interaction. An interaction she created about her job, while having her job and the company she works for displayed clearly. Not only was it not sexist, she wasn't even being harassed. Her responses were more harassment than what she endured and she clearly tried to use her position, that was clearly displayed, to empower her position and harassment.

Everything you read since this incident that is a directly attributed quote from her lays the blame everywhere else. Anywhere else. Sexism. Deroir was being sexist. O'Brien was being sexist. Everyone else was being sexist. Nope. She was being sexist. Still is. 

There is a reason why Jackie Robinson was chosen to integrate major league baseball when he was not the best African American baseball player. Be careful where you hitch your wagon. She was in. She had an opportunity to actually do great things for women in the gaming industry. That never really looked like her modus operandi though. 
    JeffSpicoliEponyxDamorTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]Nepheth
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    btdt said:
    Hate to tell you boys, but inequality and sexism are very much alive in the workforce.  If it were not the case, I wouldn't have received an award from a class action lawsuit... twice from my previous employer... for breaking the same damn rules.  Times may be different now, but the issues still remain.  Anyone saying otherwise is either a male, incredibly lucky, or so oblivious to it that they don't even know that it's happening.

You don't know this individual's entire history at their workplace.  You can't say whether sexism was or was not involved because you weren't there to witness it.  You're merely commenting on hearsay anecdotes available on the web.  And lord knows, everything you read on the internet is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Then take that up the proper channels. It is still completely irrelevant in this situation. There was no sexism in this incident. It is all there to see. Clearly.

Did you get your class action awards from being an asshole to people on Twitter? Or was there some other path to accomplish that?
    [Deleted User]JeffSpicoli[Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741
    SBFord said:

Which makes a case for a number of personal decisions by staff, should you keep your Twitter private? What are the consequences of thinking you are more likely to get a job if you have your own fanbase? Should you have PM's active?

Have a think about your own personality, are you the sort of person who thinks "arseholes" is the sort of thing you put in a tweet? Think again about being on Twitter.

Have you had problems with your employer about Twitter before? If so are you thinking about what could stop that happening again? Why stay on when it has jeopardised your career? If you still feel you must stay on have you thought of any ways to calm down? Don't tweet when tired or after having a few stiffeners  for example.

I see where you are coming from Suzie there is load of harassment against women online, but that does not mean women on social media should not be thinking about what social media they are using, why they are using it and what permissions they have active.

That goes for all of us, online sense is as much needed today as common sense.
    YashaXvandal5627
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited July 2018
    Pemmin said:

speaking of hit piece why don't you post the Forbes article that came out on the 2 days ago trashing john bain so everyone can see how the industry views its fan base.
    Is it something to do with the ArenaNet thing? I don't generally read Forbes because their ad policy is punitive. Link it.

Funny as it is, it didn't read like a hit piece at all to me. It was interesting and informative, though, as said, not sure it changes anything. :)
    alkarionlog

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    btdt said:

People know sexism exists. It just isn't relevant in this specific case. 
    YashaXFrodoFragins[Deleted User]Dakeru
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited July 2018
    Scot said:

I see where you are coming from Suzie there is load of harassment against women online, but that does not mean women on social media should not be thinking about what social media they are using, why they are using it and what permissions they have active.

That goes for all of us, online sense is as much needed today as common sense.
    Honestly, your last line is what my point is. It's not just women who have a lock on being victimized OR being jerks on social media. EVERYONE needs to police their behaviors and every company needs clear straightforward guidelines about their expectations on their employees' social media accounts.
    [Deleted User]laserit

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• vorrin5vorrin5 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    edited July 2018
    SBFord said:

If that quote is a reflection of the rest of the article, then it is more poor journalism. Shaming developers for not telling employees to avoid being terrible human beings is stupid. It's common sense. Don't be an asshole unless you accept any and all consequences that might arise from it.

Had she not created more drama with her other tweets (the female dev tweet quoting Deroir and the rando asshat tweet), she might still have a job right now. She'd be on thin ice, I'm sure, but she wouldn't have taken Peter down with her.

She deserves criticism for her behavior, not pity.
    GhavriggNephethYashaXalkarionlog
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited July 2018
    "I don't have an agenda with my agenda. My agenda is not to have an agenda. I'm just posting about my agenda but not because I have an agenda because I don't have an agenda. By the way... AGENDA!"

Jessica Price was wrong as a human being and wrong as an employee. Any journalist who picks NOW to try and spill other ArenaNet "tea" is an amateur hack or a friend of the Jessica Price wasn't wrong movement. Either way you're a dummy.

#SorryNotSorry
    SBFordAeanderYashaX
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    edited July 2018
    MosesZD said:

4.  It wasn't really criticism.  He was offering a different take and perspective.  Sometimes others can have that.   Sometimes it leads to the person hearing it winning a Nobel Prize in physics by making an incredibly important paradigm shift.

I do think it an artist thing.

That's probably why there is an old Chinese saying - There are not first places arts, There are no second places in a fight - it is because arts is a field that is so much a matter of opinion and perspective that it is easy for the creator to THINK they are king dick.

Whereas in science or in conflict results are measurable and quantitative, you can't lie to yourself about being the best, as others can see it in plain sight the extent of your success. The only way to be the best is to actually learn from others/trial and errors.
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    edited July 2018
    SBFord said:
    Pemmin said:

Is it something to do with the ArenaNet thing? I don't generally read Forbes because their ad policy is punitive. Link it.

Funny as it is, it didn't read like a hit piece at all to me. It was interesting and informative, though, as said, not sure it changes anything. :)
    they tried to link it to his legacy in the first paragraph but it mostly spirals into a gamergate rant.

"The late YouTube Legend known as John "TotalBiscuit" Bain would have turned 34 on Sunday had he not lost his struggle to bowel cancer about a month ago. Instead of “Happy Birthdays” and tributes to his decade-plus career in the video game industry, however, his name is currently being evoked with the firing of two game developers and associated mob harassment. His critics call it “fitting” that this is Bain’s legacy… but many of his fans, some of whom have grown up with him, are wondering why some internet drama from 2014 is still relevant enough in 2018 to damage Bain’s brand forever. Even posthumously, TotalBiscuit is causing controversy. "

full article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/fruzsinaeordogh/2018/07/10/totalbiscuits-legacy-and-the-collateral-damage-of-gamergate/#98edd3132ae8

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as for why I call the article you link a hit piece is because its full of excuses and over reactions that make an effort to justify and normalize what JP did.

why should she be protected from the public and not have consequences? she accused someone who was a fan and community contributor and being relatively polite of hate speech and received backlash for this?...why are other developers upset at this? why do they think company social media policies haven't been the norm for years? the article does not address any of this and places blame on an ambiguous mob.

YashaX
  • 5hr0ud5hr0ud Member UncommonPosts: 1
    The media coverage and bias of this whole mess is incredibly disturbing to me. As for Peter, I agree it is definitely more of a grey area. However, we do not know what transpired behind closed doors. For all we know, Peter *may* have said something such as, "Hey, I've enjoyed my time here. But this incident has made me rethink things. Thirteen years is a good, long run, but I think I want to try other things with my life". We do not know what happened in that meeting (and, personally, I do not feel that it is our business to know what happened in the meeting -- those are private meetings, unless we adhere to the definition of privacy set forth by a "private Twitter account").

In one of the responses from ArenaNet, MO said, "Whatever you thought of the tweets, Jessica and Peter were also part of the team that brought you the kidnapping scene in Episode 1, which was a wonderfully well-executed scene. That’s how I want to remember their time at ArenaNet." I agree! And many Guild Wars 2 players also seemed to agree. The scene was very well done, and received a lot of praise in game, on the forum, on Reddit, and through many other venues! To me, I perceive this as classy on MO's part.

Jessica later remarks on her Twitter, "Oh, one more thing. Mike O'Brien's most recent statement reduces my contribution to GW2 to one scene from one episode. Given how often women's work is erased or minimized, that's especially egregious. So, for the record:". In more follow up tweets, she goes into a bit further detail about how she has contributed. I do not understand why she wants to further make a fight out of this, when it seems (to me) that MO was merely trying to give her and Peter praise -- an example of something awesome they have BOTH worked on TOGETHER recently. It is nonsense to try and measure every single contribution a team member has made to a project. Every fleeting idea they may have shared. Every epiphany they may have ignited in a fellow developer.

While we know little (if anything) of what occurred in the meeting between Peter and MO, Jessica gave us a bit of insight into what her experience was: “The whole thing was highly unprofessional [and] there was zero reason for him to be there. He wanted to vent his anger, and he had the power to command a woman to stand there while he took his feelings out on her, so he did. Then he walked out, [the manager] got my stuff from my desk and the HR person asked for my key card.” Does a CEO need any reason whatsoever to be present at their own company? Was MO exercising his role as leadership at a company? Or was he merely present to command a woman and force Jessica to be his emotional courtesan? As the saying goes, there are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

Everything Jessica has to say seems to scream that she has an agenda, and I cannot understand why anyone would want to defend someone who seems to be so combative, someone who seems to be so full of vitriol, and someone who seems to be all too ready to besmirch the previous companies that she has worked for.
    AeanderPemmin[Deleted User]Threatlevel0NephethYashaXGhavriggDakeru
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    So looking through GW2's Reddit, it seems the player base has moved on.  Unless there was a mopping up and deleting of all things related to the issue.

Yet, still today, we're getting gaming press trying to keep the issue alive, posting more articles so out of touch with the consumer gaming community it's shocking.

Honestly, at this point, the gaming press needs to let this go if they can't find a better poster child for the issue they're trying to raise.  It stinks of gaming press being completely out of touch with the reality of the situation.  Someone claiming on Reddit they have the power to fire someone does not make it true, and this instance seems apparently far from that truth.  It's almost as if some gaming sites actively want gamers to lose any faith in their ability to objectively approach a story.

@SBFord I know you mentioned you wish this news cycle would end, but it seems your fellow industry journalists insist on keeping it alive and attempting to make a mountain out of a mole hill with this story.

If the gaming press wishes to continue this crusade without completely alienating the consumer, they desperately need to find a more appropriate situation to hold up as the example.  The consumers just aren't buying this one, and for good reason.
    EponyxDamorJeffSpicoliLackingMMOaRtFuLThinG[Deleted User]Threatlevel0laxie5hr0udYashaXAeanderand 2 others.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Yet, still today, we're getting gaming press trying to keep the issue alive, posting more articles so out of touch with the consumer gaming community it's shocking.

Not only that, the gaming press keeps on making the source of this seems like a sexism, while in reality, if one do the research and read through everything, it is basically just an issue similar to the Soup Nazi in Seinfeld - a case of an artist can't take any differing opinions:

MadFrenchie
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    edited July 2018
    Generally speaking, all these diversity programs are the embodiment of systemic sexism and rasism. On one hand it makes entering a field easier. On the long run it perpetuates the mindset that the people benefiting from them are of lower standards.

It is indeed aggravating to need to prove to your colleagues and customers that your status and position is deserved.

Still, western society is heavily skewed towards shielding women in particular, to the point where some of them can't handle getting equal treatment to their male colleagues. Price's case is indicative of how powerful that shielding can be.

On a separate note and indicative of the quality of the journalism of Verge, they are peddling the fake form that supposedly called for the firing of female developers. Quality journalism 101, take a troll form from random twitter user and present it as real news and a real threat.

As for Forbes and their emetic article, I'll just leave this image here (don't want people to give them clicks):

a1.jpg 105.9K
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,515
    Ghavrigg said:
    btdt said:

Given some of the responses to me, some people actually don't think sexism exists in the industry, which reminds me of awhat  Qui-Gon Jinn said "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."" 

Which really seems to sum up this whole discussion.
    SBFord
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• hanshotfirsthanshotfirst Member UncommonPosts: 712
    SBFord said:
    Pemmin said:

Funny indeed. Not a hit piece? Well, his widow seems to believe otherwise. But what would she know?

Just a few days after Price is fired, Forbes publishes an article linking Bain--a man who's recent death Price shamelessly and publicly sniped on--to a harassment-campaign against women.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence. 
    YashaXAeander[Deleted User]GhavriggDakeru
  • hanshotfirsthanshotfirst Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Ungood said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    btdt said:

Given some of the responses to me, some people actually don't think sexism exists in the industry, which reminds me of awhat  Qui-Gon Jinn said "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."" 

Want an example of sexism? Look no further than all these 'well-researched and documented articles' that rob Price of the agency and wherewithal to take responsibility for her own behavior.
    YashaXAeander[Deleted User]forcelima
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Ungood said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    btdt said:

Want an example of sexism? Look no further than all these 'well-researched and documented articles' that rob Price of the agency and wherewithal to take responsibility for her own behavior.
    This is called the "soft bigotry of lowered expectations". She's not expected to need to admit when she's wrong. She's a woman, and therefore apparently incapable of regulating her emotions (I guess would be the reason?). You see this often. A great example of this is Affirmative Action. Some people see it as the "evening of the playing field". What I see it as is "We can't expect you to be as good as the white folks, so we give you extra points for your melanin". It's actually quite insulting to me. And I can never get a job and not have some people looking at me like I got the job based upon my credentials and not my skin color. Some feel the same about women and the LGBTQ folks now as well.

I find that far more offensive than being called a name by some knuckledragging trailer dweller whose life is likely so sad that it seems cruel to even correct him. 

But this is what we have now. We have people who are held to different standards because they cannot be expected to uphold the same standards as everyone else based upon trait X, whether that be skin color, sex, sexual preference, religion, etc..
    hanshotfirstAeanderGhavrigg
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    SBFord said:

How on earth can you people not get it? Or are you just trolling us?

It is completely normal for a company to fire an employee that publicly shames, insults, and attacks a customer for no reason. The only thing abnormal about the incident has been the game media coverage that seems hell bent on putting some off the wall spin on the situation.

AeanderGhavriggDakeru
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,812
    YashaX said:
    SBFord said:

How on earth can you people not get it? Or are you just trolling us?

It is completely normal for a company to fire an employee that publicly shames, insults, and attacks a customer for no reason. The only thing abnormal about the incident has been the game media coverage that seems hell bent on putting some off the wall spin on the situation.

This is nothing new. Games media has a unique contempt for their readers and a fundamental misunderstanding of their role. Our journalists seem to believe themselves to be storytellers, as opposed to the reporters they should be, and they will scream their preset story to the wind, even as the wind shouts back that they are wrong.
  • Lambon23Lambon23 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    I'm glad people here are not so indoctrinated that they allow these "journalists" who all have the same opinion, turn this into another misandrist circle jerk.