Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - Bill Murphy - ArenaNet and the Wisdom of Not Doing Anything - MMORPG.com

Comments

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Man some of you folks responding here need to take a chill pill.  :)
    SBFordScot
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,812
    edited July 2018
    celtwulf said:
    I said it’s not about JP. This goes above and beyond this single instance. But well, I know what I know. I’ve said what I can say. Totally fine if you think I’m crazy. :)
    Bill Murphy, a white knight for self righteous pieces of trash. Funny how you've known all this stuff about ArenaNet for so long & how they do but wait til now to say anything about it. That is some moral compass you have there Mr. White Knight. Unless it's total bullshit & you're just trying to make the crybaby idiot who got fired look better? But hey, at least she can't do anymore harm.
    MO, that you?
    I know this was meant as a joke, but you did just insinuate that the founder of one of the most respected MMO IP's in the world is a petty, aggressive man who somehow lacks the PR expertise to avoid knee-jerk reactions to a random journalist.
    Post edited by Aeander on
    Leilonihanshotfirst
  • celtwulfceltwulf Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Iselin said:
    I said it’s not about JP. This goes above and beyond this single instance. But well, I know what I know. I’ve said what I can say. Totally fine if you think I’m crazy. :)
    A gaming company catering to customer outrage by firing a couple of employees is one of the side stories related to this incident worthy of coverage. Details about the CEO's personality are part of that story.

Another side story is inappropriately using misogyny as a defense when it's not warranted.

And yet a third side story is the equally inappropriate use of the misplaced misogyny accusations to further a fringe political agenda.

But those IMO are all side issues that, if they deserve their own coverage, should be covered after you thoroughly cover the main story which was a couple of developers, at least one of whom had been drinking by his own admission, using their own public twitter accounts to try to shame a customer for no good reason and without provocation and then doubling down with explicit statements that indicate that being nice to customers is not something they do naturally but is just a facade they turn on when they're on the job.

Allow me to offer my decidedly amateur observation (ironic, I know :) ) about how you need to "earn the right" to focus on the side issues by first exhaustively dealing with the primary issue. I think this is the problem that even those readers without extremist agendas have with your article. It reads as glossing over the original bad behavior by Price to focus on MO's reaction and make that the main story. This gives the impression of bias and dismissing the importance of the original issue even if that accusation is not warranted.
    This was an amazing response but sadly MMORPG will ignore 100% of it & keep to their extremist agenda. The majority of content creators & news sites that are reporting on this is doing so from an unbiased point of view but not here & not at Kotaku & Polygon. Bill saying he  isn't biased is like someone at Fox News saying he isn't biased towards Republicans. It's Bullshit
    SBFordBillMurphyhanshotfirst
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    This was not about it being a public firing, this was about just simple work ethics. JP violated the social media policy that nearly every single business has in talking disrespectfully to their customers in a capacity that represents the company.  The fact that ArenaNet publically announced it has nothing to do with it. Everyone would have found out either way. The way he did it was the way to get out infront of it. The other way around people make assumptions. There is no good way to do it. 

Fact of the matter is that: This was not a gender issue and she deserved to be fired. Peter got fired because ArenaNet would have likely been sued by JP if he got off the hook. Sure, a sane human being would be able to apologize and stop posting work related content on social media; but she was not sane / is not sane. That clearly would not have happened and the result would have been the same. MO might be a horrible human being, but in this case he did the best thing he could have possibly done given the situation that was created by JP. 
    BarCrowLeiloni
    edited July 2018
    celtwulf said:
    Bill Murphy, a white knight for self righteous pieces of trash. Funny how you've known all this stuff about ArenaNet for so long & how they do but wait til now to say anything about it. That is some moral compass you have there Mr. White Knight. Unless it's total bullshit & you're just trying to make the crybaby idiot who got fired look better? But hey, at least she can't do anymore harm.
    MO, that you?
    Nope. My name is Michael. I am a Democratic Campaigner & Advocate in the southeast, where we have started winning seats considerably, who wants people to understand that REAL progressives & liberals DO NOT think like you & Miss Price. 
    BarCrowhanshotfirst
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    celtwulf said:
    celtwulf said:
    MO, that you?
    Nope. My name is Michael. I am a Democratic Campaigner & Advocate in the southeast, where we have started winning seats considerably, who wants people to understand that REAL progressives & liberals DO NOT think like you & Miss Price. 
    Just so you’re aware - politics aren’t allowed here. Keep it off the forums, and you’re fine. But also, personal attacks towards staff and other forum members are not allowed, so hold it back there. 
    etharnThreatlevel0JeffSpicoliLeiloniYashaXmaskedweasel

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Tamanous said:
    Aeander said:
    Tamanous said:
    Sorry Bill. You picked the wrong side of this argument. Too many other IP's are being appropriated from their original audiences and too many XXXgates are going on all because social justice warriors force their agenda upon everyone who merely want drama free and quality products. Diversity arises through variety of product and not through appropriation.

ArenaNet clearly sees how certain multi-billion dollar IPs are being destroyed and losing their core audience along with hemorrhaging earnings because of it. They had to do this. They had to set a precedence. The paying customer has to be respected and employees cannot force their own political agenda not shared by their employer.

SJWs are a cancer within profit based industries. They insult their audience (i.e. Marvel, LucasFilm) through social media and tell them if they don't like their "art", they can stop buying it. They attack anyone against their narrative even if it's a valid argument (this is exactly what happened here), force their own agenda even if not relevant and play the victim card and even go so far as to create fictitious or highly exaggerated stories of damsels in distress. This has been repeated across each and every industry they have gotten their hands into.

The ONLY outcome with allowing this sort of hate speech to continue (oh the irony) is to nip it in the bud IMMEDIATELY or else the company will face titanic losses and audience backlash much like LucasFilm is currently facing.

The stakes are far greater than you make it out to be Bill. The head of ArenaNet may very well be an asshole in his own right but at least he sees the true impact of doing nothing. Customers feel powerless these days. They feel abused and manipulated on multiple entertainment industry fronts. As others have said, if nearly ANY NORMAL employee in ANY NORMAL company would have done this they too would have been instantly fired. There is no defending those 2 (but I direct most of it toward Jessica Price). Price had a long history of it.

The bigger picture here is that this is so fucking widespread that it is cultural now. IP appropriation is real. Organized SJW attacks using social AND mainstream media is real. Disseminating fictional information to support political agendas within non-political industries is real. Anyone clueless to this only has to put some level minded and intelligent research into the current state of Marvel comics (Lord help the movies moving forward), LucasFilm and IPs like Star Wars and Star Trek to see their attempts to completely abandon their canon, historical cultural impact and audiences in favor of agenda based political ideals ... and frankly really shitty story telling that elevates women by deconstructing men.

ArenaNet had their eyes open enough to see it and I Goddamn fucking applaud them for it. The term "Get WOKE. Go BROKE!" is true, and ArenaNet bloody knows it.
    I'm not even going to touch the whole social justice issue with a ten foot pole here, but I will give my two cents on the reality I see.

Arenanet is not, has never been, and will not ever be "woke." They are not, as you seem to believe, a conservative company by any means. In fact, they are a liberal company, if anything. More importantly, they are simply a company that respects their customers.

With one hand, they show respect for their left-leaning and LGBT customers by recognizing community run pride events and including LGBT NPC's, including ones as prominent as Caithe, Faolain, Marjory, and Kasmeer.

With the other hand, they show all customers that, regardless of political stance, they cannot tolerate two of their own openly disrespecting customers.

Let's not dilute the conversation by turning this into a political issue. It isn't one. It's a matter of community relations, basic business practice, and nothing else.
    The choice was yes. The reason why it must be done goes beyond that. It's the implications of not doing anything ... the basis for Bill's article and my greater point.

Basic business practice you mention is not the current norm. It is not practiced by those purposely driving their IP into the dirt so therefore is not so common or simple as you suggest. 

But I do agree, as stated, that it SHOULD be standard practice. The shocking truth why it is not across the entertainment industry (perhaps you are not familiar with Gamergate) is my point of discussion.
    I'm not so sure you can call driving IPs into the dirt an objective fact.  I've seen some of the so-called "arguments" regarding creatives driving their IPs into the dirt, and many aren't very persuasive.

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    edited July 2018
    Aaaaand she just keeps going. Seriously. She even makes sure to take offense to MO's complementing her and Fries on their most liked work from this season (episode 1).

She hasn't even acknowledged, through this entire debacle, that she overreacted in some way or could have done something differently. Instead, she is the victim in all of this and not Deroir, who she held up to her twitter mob as a punching bag. The same person who, days earlier, was saying how much he liked Price and enjoyed her talent.

But lets not focus on how JP decided to use her social media platform, garnered in-part by having ArenaNet in her bio, to turn a polite fan's attempt at dialogue into a sexism issue. Instead, lets focus on the CEO, Mark O'Brien, actually doing his job ...

While I do applaud MMORPG.com for keeping the debate going and clean (which says more about the fan base here than anything), I am very, very disappointed in the articles written here covering the topic; thus far, they have been very biased and one-sided. While I acknowledge that Bill states that this is an opinion piece, you guys could have at least tried to present the whole situation, instead of focusing on how Mike O'Brien is somehow a bad guy.
    GaleOm[Deleted User]MadFrenchieLeiloniVesaviusDakeruYashaX
    celtwulf said:
    celtwulf said:
    MO, that you?
    Just so you’re aware - politics aren’t allowed here. Keep it off the forums, and you’re fine. But also, personal attacks towards staff and other forum members are not allowed, so hold it back there. 
    I apologize for that,  it was more tongue in cheek *being a smartass* & will keep my politics to myself. But you need to be careful yourself because you are very much threading a linewith your agenda. An agenda that I'm sure I agree with over 80% of, but it's that other 20%. But once again I do apologize if it seemed like an attack
    BillMurphyLeiloni
    celtwulf said:
    celtwulf said:
    celtwulf said:
    MO, that you?
    I apologize for that,  it was more tongue in cheek *being a smartass* & will keep my politics to myself. But you need to be careful yourself because you are very much threading a linewith your agenda. An agenda that I'm sure I agree with over 80% of, but it's that other 20%. But once again I do apologize if it seemed like an attack
    My only real agenda is that people need to beware of Mike OBrien. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    celtwulf said:
    MO, that you?
    While his comment went too far, his underlying sentiments(once you get past all the insults) are hardly that farfetched given the tone of your article. It seemed to try to sweep aside JP straight up attacking someone being entirely respectful to her and trying to put him on blast and say he's a misogynist and for what? To talk about how the CEO of arenanet isn't a great guy and how he handled this situation poorly?

It's just a joke...that you could come to that conclusion. And your responses to people's criticisms of your article leave a lot to be desired. It's more than a little disappointing to be honest. Nothing that'll keep me from coming to the site or anything like that, but it's definitely lowered the quality of how I view articles featured on this site, whether by 3rd party or by the site's natural writers given this is the 2nd article on this site about this issue that was so egregiously one sided in it's portrayal of the events that took place.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

edited July 2018
    celtwulf said:
    celtwulf said:
    celtwulf said:
    MO, that you?
    If I worked for Mike O'Brien literally anyone and took to social media with the company name in my bio in order to attack customers, I'd be very afraid for my job.
    BillMurphyTacticalZombehLeiloni
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    celtwulf said:
    celtwulf said:
    celtwulf said:
    MO, that you?
    If I worked for Mike O'Brien literally anyone and took to social media with the company name in my bio in order to attack customers, I'd be very afraid for my job.
    I agree! I guess I needed to make it clearer that JP is just a small piece to this puzzle. 
    YashaX

My Review Manifesto

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited July 2018
    I agree! I guess I needed to make it clearer that JP is just a small piece to this puzzle. 
    I guess I'm just not seeing a puzzle here, as there isn't much to figure out.

(EDIT: My point is that, while I appreciate that you have an opinion and agenda, nothing you've presented points to MO being a bad guy. In this situation, the most you could say is that he shouldn't have said publicly the two employees were let go; however, even that is fairly minor, IMO. You're essentially just saying "my agenda is MO is a bad guy" without really presenting any information to persuade your readers to coming to the same conclusion.)
    acidbloodLeiloni
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited July 2018
    I thought this story was about how an employee of a company went after a consumer while wearing the badge of the company and was properly removed from the position to protect brand appearance.

It's ironic that some staff members of MMORPG tread closely to making the same error, luckily y'all don't work for this Mike O'brien (didn't really know who that was until Google).

[Deleted User]LeiloniYashaX
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MazingerZMazingerZ Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Seems she wants to be a bigger piece of the thread: https://archive.fo/5MChO

You can respond if you want, but I've got any notifications from people I don't follow muted, and I'm not going to check responses. If you're a legit industry/press person and want to get in contact, we have mutual networks through which you can do that.

Much of the narrative around this has been around 1) that I was fired; and 2) whether there was warning/discussion.

That's missing a big portion of this. So let's talk about not how I was fired, but how it was announced.

The announcement was an escalation. The company could have chosen to say "their remarks don't represent the company, we don't agree with what they said, and they're no longer with the company."

That's not what they did. They framed an interaction on my personal social media in which I told a few individuals who (I thought) were being assholes that I wasn't on the clock and wasn't going to feign affection for people who are being assholes as "attacks on the community."

They knew--or at least had a responsibility to know, in 2018--what would happen to a female game dev who was fired in response to an exchange about sexism. It would have been bad enough if they had just fired me and announced I was fired.

But they escalated. They pointed to Peter and me as Enemies Of The Community. That wasn't just firing us and, oh well, if they get harassed, them's the breaks. That was active solicitation of harassment.

Oh, one more thing. Mike O'Brien's most recent statement reduces my contribution to GW2 to one scene from one episode. Given how often women's work is erased or minimized, that's especially egregious. So, for the record:

Everything in GW2 is made by a team. There's no content that's made by one person. But in terms of influence: the entire season is mine. I led the season story breaking meetings, I led the episode outlining meetings, and every line of dialogue went through me.

Everything you've seen of the story so far this season is my work, and you're going to be seeing my work in it for a long time.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    celtwulf said:
    celtwulf said:
    celtwulf said:
    MO, that you?
    I think that may be the main disconnect we're all experiencing here.
    EponyxDamorYashaX

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    At this point the whole thread is surreal.

I think I'll go sleep. When I wake up I expect to be entertained with the next theory on why "JP did nothing wrong".
    JeffSpicoliLeiloniYashaXTacticalZombeh
    celtwulf said:
    celtwulf said:
    MO, that you?
    But Bill....you just personally attacked a game developer, and now you are saying I can sling it but don't clap back.....that is exactly what JP did.

Can't you see the irony of this?
    To be fair I did make some very smart ass remarks. Some may have took them as attacks but they were very much not meant to be. I know it can very easily be misunderstood over forums. Just like a text. 
    BillMurphy
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    MazingerZ said:
    Seems she wants to be a bigger piece of the thread: https://archive.fo/5MChO

You can respond if you want, but I've got any notifications from people I don't follow muted, and I'm not going to check responses. If you're a legit industry/press person and want to get in contact, we have mutual networks through which you can do that.

Much of the narrative around this has been around 1) that I was fired; and 2) whether there was warning/discussion.

That's missing a big portion of this. So let's talk about not how I was fired, but how it was announced.

The announcement was an escalation. The company could have chosen to say "their remarks don't represent the company, we don't agree with what they said, and they're no longer with the company."

That's not what they did. They framed an interaction on my personal social media in which I told a few individuals who (I thought) were being assholes that I wasn't on the clock and wasn't going to feign affection for people who are being assholes as "attacks on the community."

They knew--or at least had a responsibility to know, in 2018--what would happen to a female game dev who was fired in response to an exchange about sexism. It would have been bad enough if they had just fired me and announced I was fired.

But they escalated. They pointed to Peter and me as Enemies Of The Community. That wasn't just firing us and, oh well, if they get harassed, them's the breaks. That was active solicitation of harassment.

Oh, one more thing. Mike O'Brien's most recent statement reduces my contribution to GW2 to one scene from one episode. Given how often women's work is erased or minimized, that's especially egregious. So, for the record:

Everything in GW2 is made by a team. There's no content that's made by one person. But in terms of influence: the entire season is mine. I led the season story breaking meetings, I led the episode outlining meetings, and every line of dialogue went through me.

Everything you've seen of the story so far this season is my work, and you're going to be seeing my work in it for a long time.

"Everything is made by a team, except for all the stuff I did, which is most of it."

It's also amazing how she takes a compliment and not only relates it to sexism, but twists it into an insult. She is the definition of a toxic, garbage human being. I sincerely hope her career in gaming is over for good. 

[Deleted User][Deleted User]LeiloniVesaviusDakeruYashaXTacticalZombeh

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Meanwhile  Weds, July 11 2018 6:20pm EST

Profile still ain't updated, but she's still at it. I'd rehire her then fire her again.

Moral of the story, watch out for Mr. FlyByKnight. I'm a bad person. If you aren't worth the trouble, I will fire you for doing something wrong in public and causing me to spend money and time on damage control.
    [Deleted User]BillMurphy[Deleted User]DakeruYashaX
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • marksteelemarksteele Member UncommonPosts: 60
    edited July 2018
    "They knew--or at least had a responsibility to know, in 2018--what would happen to a female game dev who was fired in response to an exchange about sexism. It would have been bad enough if they had just fired me and announced I was fired."

I love this, when was this EVER about sexism? If someone voices an opinion it's the merits of the opinion that should matter not the gender of the person who voiced it. The fact that JP would use feminism as a shield to try and avoid being disciplined speaks volumes as to why she was fired in the first place. 

As for the issue of giving feedback in the first place. Gamers are, in general, invested in their games, sometimes spending thousands of hours and, in some cases, thousands of dollars in a single game. It makes perfect sense that when a developer opens a public discourse those people who have invested a significant part of their life, or in this case made a career out of the game, will join in and voice an opinion. 
    YashaX
    celtwulf said:
    celtwulf said:
    celtwulf said:
    MO, that you?
    "HE'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!!!!!"

Sorry Bill, I really am, but I have to honestly say I feel you have your head planted very deeply up your ass on this one. We have no proof that Mike O'Brien is an any way an unpleasant person, and no hearsay is not proof. "Well some bloke in a pub told me..." will not stand up in court. You continuing to publicly bash the man when you yourself admittedly have had zero negative interactions with him not only makes you look bad, it makes this site look bad. His behavior one way or another has zero bearing on this story. Jessica Price has very publicly made, and continues to make, a complete ass out of herself. Her bad behavior tarnished A-nets reputation and her firing for doing so was completely justified. Mike O'Brien publicly announcing that a employee that outraged the public is no longer working for their company is standard operating procedure. You see this all the time. You trying to twist it into some kind of conspiracy, with again, zero justifiable proof, just makes you look petty. And I honestly expected better of you.

I'm really sorry you feel that way. If I could provide more, trust me I would. And I'm looking for ways to do so. 
    [Deleted User]Aeander

My Review Manifesto