Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the combat system any better i hope

i hope it is better cause star wars galaxies left my rpging list

Comments

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424
    Well the CU still feels like the game wasn't designed to have it, which is a bad thing : finding myself forcing me to play the game after a fe weeks of coming back

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

Combat Upgrade completely changed combat. Thats what many people did not like, especially veterans. New players and old players that left SWG in 2003/2004 for a while usually like new combat system more than those veterans.

Game before combat revamp ...

wait 30 min to find a doctor, get a god mode buff, solo 95 % of game content, get bored out of your mind, stop playing  (unless you DONT grind and just have fun in a great game for the last 2 years). PvP highly unbalanced (only hit against mind were important and you killed yourself doing specials with your weapons as it deducted points from health !!)

Now :

Game more dangerous, soloing slower and high end content needs group, new combat roles, buff is nice but not required, more profession balance between the 32 normal professions (excluding Jedi which are by definition not balanced)

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/combat_upgrade/

Have fun

Erillion

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Combat is completely different since the CU than it was pre CU. If you didn't like combat pre-CU I'd recommend taking a nother look now. Odds are you'll like it if you didn't like the old system.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• WeppsWepps Member Posts: 1,322

Be careful not to listen to the professional cheerleaders that reside on this board.

Take it from a veteran critic. If 'I' think it's much better, then others like it even more.

The truth is, people just do not like change. No matter what SOE did to the game, at least they had their buttons to press. But SOE took that too, and that was the final straw whether it was good or bad for them. I see more new players than vets in there now and it's growing every day. I think SOE hit on something with this new combat system.

I like this system better than the old one. Coming from me that means more than the salespitches of fanbois. (pronounced: Phan' Bwah)

The Total Experience is worth the purchase. It's far from perfect, but it is actually moving in the right direction.

EDIT...for the first time since 10 days before release.

"For one who seeks what he cannot obtain suffers torture; one who has what is not desirable is cheated; and one who does not seek what is worth seeking is diseased." - Augustine of Hippo

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Wepps
    Be careful not to listen to the professional cheerleaders that reside on this board.
    Take it from a veteran critic. If 'I' think it's much better, then others like it even more.The truth is, people just do not like change. No matter what SOE did to the game, at least they had their buttons to press. But SOE took that too, and that was the final straw whether it was good or bad for them. I see more new players than vets in there now and it's growing every day. I think SOE hit on something with this new combat system.I like this system better than the old one. Coming from me that means more than the salespitches of fanbois. (pronounced: Phan' Bwah)The Total Experience is worth the purchase. It's far from perfect, but it is actually moving in the right direction.EDIT...for the first time since 10 days before release.

Yes yes we're professional cheerleaders because we happen to like the combat system. But you're the completely unbiassed professional critic?

Please, Wepps, give it a rest. Just because we happen to enjoy the game more than you isn't call to insult people.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

I didn't mention you elnator, but apparently you feel you fall into this class of boardfolk - so be it.

Sorry you took it personally.

There are certain loudmouths in this forum that have a tendency to UPBEAT every broken thing about this game and give it a nice shiny new appeal. In other words, that which it's not. And they do it in every post they find.

I happen to like this combat system more than the previous, that doesn't mean it's perfect, like others like to represent. I didn't gather that from your post.

I like the direction the game is going, but it is far from the end of that trip. FAR FAR AWAY. You seem to have the same opinion.

And yes, those who try to get people to buy into this game because 'it rocks', 'it's still the best out there', 'it's great because it's SOE', are those I am talking about. Professional cheerleaders. They won't be able to help themselves once they see this post.

"For one who seeks what he cannot obtain suffers torture; one who has what is not desirable is cheated; and one who does not seek what is worth seeking is diseased." - Augustine of Hippo

• SharkypalSharkypal Member Posts: 1,137

I didn't mention you elnator, but apparently you feel you fall into this class of boardfolk - so be it.
    Sorry you took it personally.
    There are certain loudmouths in this forum that have a tendency to UPBEAT every broken thing about this game and give it a nice shiny new appeal. In other words, that which it's not. And they do it in every post they find.
    I happen to like this combat system more than the previous, that doesn't mean it's perfect, like others like to represent. I didn't gather that from your post.
    I like the direction the game is going, but it is far from the end of that trip. FAR FAR AWAY. You seem to have the same opinion.
    And yes, those who try to get people to buy into this game because 'it rocks', 'it's still the best out there', 'it's great because it's SOE', are those I am talking about. Professional cheerleaders. They won't be able to help themselves once they see this post.

Yep, always the same 2 or 3 guys with the same BS reasons why SWG is so good! Hijacking pretty much every thread with their "SWG is so much better now" and "it's normal that SWG is buggy, x game was 10 times worse". Gets a little boring after a while.

S

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

Why are you bashing people who like this game and not afraid to say that? If people enjoy a game, they have the right to go around and say so in the appropriate forums. Whether the CU is a good or a bad thing, is a matter of opinion.

I found the game really boring before and i look forward to playing again but there is no denying that SWG has some great features and you can spend a year on it and still find new things to do. Most MMORPGs if not all, require you to participate heavily in combat but SWG is so open ended that you could hours playing it without even having to kill anything.

This is MY opinion though and bash it if you want and call me a fanboy (eventhough i clearly am not) but i am entitled to my opinions just like everyone else.

• keltic1701keltic1701 Member Posts: 1,162
    I played SWG before the CU and even though it had it's flaws, and it had many, it was at least a fun game. Since the CU this game I think it's utter shyt, bullpizzle, crap. But hey, that's just my opinion. Find out for yourself and don't listen to me or anyone else.

Originally posted by Senden
    Why are you bashing people who like this game and not afraid to say that? If people enjoy a game, they have the right to go around and say so in the appropriate forums. Whether the CU is a good or a bad thing, is a matter of opinion.

That's right, it's a matter of opinion. But then there are biased and unbiased ones.

I don't think that people who like this game are fanbois. I think that people who spend all their time discrediting those who don't like the game are fanbois. Those who play up what is obviously broken, blatantly overlooking what's obvious to the rest of us. Those are fanbois.

They will embellish the game beyond all measure of the development team ever approaching the kind of quality the fanbois already claim it has...

Often, they are professionals. They are either working for themselves, that is justifying their own purchase by claiming it can never be better - or are actually SOE employees in this case, who work their butts off and shout down the naysayers at every opportunity to justify their own work.

"I like it." is a broad statement. "I like it for these reasons." is a much more defined and useful one. But the defined statement is not in the repertoire of the fanboi.

As it stands right now, this game has reached the quality that I expected to see at release. Since you can purchase it with all it's expansions in one box (The Total Experience) for $30 American, it is definitely worth the purchase in my opinion. Believing this doesn't make me a fanboi.

edit - and as I said above, I like the new combat system better than the old one. It has its drawbacks, but is much better balanced...in my opinion.

• WheezalWheezal Member UncommonPosts: 249

so, by that logic.  if there are fanboi's according to your definition.  then are there not also haters who go to the same extremes on teh other side of the fence?

i would think the two would somehow cancel each other out, leaving us the perfect middle :)

i need more coffee.

MMO Name: InVictus Kell
    Currently Playing:
    EVE Online

Originally posted by Wheezal
    so, by that logic.  if there are fanboi's according to your definition.  then are there not also haters who go to the same extremes on teh other side of the fence?

i would think the two would somehow cancel each other out, leaving us the perfect middle :)

i need more coffee.

Not really lol.

Look at the US Congress for example. IF you had Democrats and Republicans, each looking to achieve the same goals, they would work together to balance each other out.

But you don't have that, you have extremists who are right and everyone else is wrong and they don't even have to define WHY that is, it just should be obvious to us all. These never accomplish anything, and there is no middle ground.

If you are trying to accuse me of being a hater, then read my post again. I gave positive feedback, and I always have where I feel it's due. The combat system is one of those implementations that I feel deserved it.

By definition, I can't be a hater if I recommend the dammed thing lol.

Also, the post asked for opinions. I warned only that the OP pay attention and observe which ones are biased, and which are unbiased. It's a legitimate warning.

If you are trying to accuse me of being a hater...

i can't possibly see in my post where i could have implied that.   i was going ALONG with your train of thought (ie, agreeing with you).

i was just asking if fanboi's exist, then so haters must as well, right?  not if fanboi's exist, then Wepps is a hater.  

Currently Playing:
    EVE Online

SILENCE!

I haven't had coffee yet either ::::07::

yer like me before coffee, except without the blood on my hands from my stupid cublicle neighbor who keep splaying his radio too loud.

he can play it as loud as he wants buried in the desert!!  mwaahahahahahaha.

and SWG ftw, there back on topic.

Currently Playing:
    EVE Online