Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Noob questions, what to buy, level to start at ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited July 2018 in World of Warcraft
Fast back round, 
I played the shit out of Vanilla, Years ago retail, and on and off until recently on emulators. 
I haven't been interested in retail because of "easy game play", however I may view it as excitement of retail and play as a social thing instead of all seriousness. 

So I need recommendations on how to start as a noob, so I'm trying to figure out a good 'jumping in point".  

With the new expansion Battle for Azeroth release 8/14/18 

I think my best choice is:  $59.99 bundle,  Battle of Azeroth (pre-order) + Legion + WoW base game.  

I think my game plan should be start at 100, and play to 110 so I can get used to the game before the expansion.

But an active player at work says start at 110 and get used to the game at max level instead, because of the level scaling I can do all the content of Legion anyway...…..Now, he also has me concerned that the new expansion will change things drastically. 

Please give your suggestion :)  

P.S. I'm in no hurry to start, maybe the best deal and way to start is when the Expansion releases. 

Comments

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    I would just DL the free WOW play it till level 20 see which class you like and if it appeals to you still. Then decide from that point.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Sandmanjw said:
    I would just DL the free WOW play it till level 20 see which class you like and if it appeals to you still. Then decide from that point.

Not worried about class, I'm aware of the demo and not interested.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    1.  100% absolutely sure you will hate the game based on your post history.

2.  Wait until the holidays (December) to buy the game.  You can get the base game for $5 at that time frame and that includes everything up to BfA PLUS 30 days of free game time.  BfA will also be on sale (typically 25-35% off).  You save a mint and miss out on nothing. 

3.  Legion is over.  Come pre-patch the whole artifact system gets gutted and the whole point of the expansion goes away.  The talent trees will change up as well, so you actually are better off NOT HAVING played Legion prior to BfA.  Everyone will be starting over.  Since they haven't finished the talents (and won't have them finished until the first major patch is released post BfA launch), starting at launch is actually of no benefit to the min-max types.  They have to wait to see which classes will become OP and which classes will be their main at that time.

If you are even remotely hesitant, wait until December.  If you are bored out of your skull and don't care if you waste $70 on a game, then start at launch.

In watching YouTubes about Battle of Azeroth and the changes ahead, it could spin your head. 

It seems like Blizzard had really lost their identity 
    edited July 2018
    btdt said:
    1.  100% absolutely sure you will hate the game based on your post history.

2.  Wait until the holidays (December) to buy the game.  You can get the base game for $5 at that time frame and that includes everything up to BfA PLUS 30 days of free game time.  BfA will also be on sale (typically 25-35% off).  You save a mint and miss out on nothing. 

3.  Legion is over.  Come pre-patch the whole artifact system gets gutted and the whole point of the expansion goes away.  The talent trees will change up as well, so you actually are better off NOT HAVING played Legion prior to BfA.  Everyone will be starting over.  Since they haven't finished the talents (and won't have them finished until the first major patch is released post BfA launch), starting at launch is actually of no benefit to the min-max types.  They have to wait to see which classes will become OP and which classes will be their main at that time.

If you are even remotely hesitant, wait until December.  If you are bored out of your skull and don't care if you waste $70 on a game, then start at launch.

Based on the guy at work about the changes, and you confirming him.  
    My head is spinning from YouTubes....Everything is mixed up. 

Waiting for December like you say, may be the best option !  

Fantastic way of explaining the situation.. Thanks much btdt :)