Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are MMORPG players less grief tolerant?

12346»

Comments

• RouzukiRouzuki Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Open PvP content in PvE centered games seems to be enjoyed almost exclusively by assholes. If I want to fight other players, I go play a game where the objective is fighting other players. 

Now if an MMORPG came along where PvP was at the forefront with PvE secondary objectives were sprinkled in, now that'd be just fine.

GW2's WvWvW (though marred by other reasons) is a good step towards PvP main/PvE Secondary. 
    AlBQuirky
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Rouzuki said:

Now if an MMORPG came along where PvP was at the forefront with PvE secondary objectives were sprinkled in, now that'd be just fine. 
    When / If CU launches it should be the game you are looking for.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Brainy said:
    Why do these Devs keep strongly pushing these PVP/Grief zones in every MMO when they are mostly empty.
    The only reason the pvp zones have anyone at all is because they incentivize them so heavily with increased: xp, skills, resources, special loot, rewards etc...
    If pvp/grief is so popular why all the needed incentives?  If they put all these incentives into PVE instead of PVP, the PVP zones would go from almost dead to completely dead.
    Well, many MMORPG players consider just being killed grief.  Threshold seems small compared to other genre.  And PvP is hugely popular with survive and FPS.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Brainy said:
    Why do these Devs keep strongly pushing these PVP/Grief zones in every MMO when they are mostly empty.
    The only reason the pvp zones have anyone at all is because they incentivize them so heavily with increased: xp, skills, resources, special loot, rewards etc...
    If pvp/grief is so popular why all the needed incentives?  If they put all these incentives into PVE instead of PVP, the PVP zones would go from almost dead to completely dead.
    Well, many MMORPG players consider just being killed grief.  Threshold seems small compared to other genre.  And PvP is hugely popular with survive and FPS.
    Not quite, for this player. I don't mind dieing at all, when I have a chance to win, that is. Rare has been my own PvP experience where this happens.
    [Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited July 2018
    I always play PVP iin certain games. So I am used to lose against other players and losing items in the process.
    But at the same time I don't like to see full pvp in other types of games, because I just see it for what it will be:  Griefers paradise at the cost of creativity and player skill.

So to me, it depends on the game.

I will always avoid a game that makes you grind to build something, but at the same time lets you destroy it in just 2 seconds. This kind of mechanics just asks for griefing.
    And the usual result is that pvp in such a game is always based on cheesy tactics and exploits. This is because the developers somehow didn't see this coming and were not prepared. As if there are not dozens of other games where exactly the same happened. 

As for Ark. Well this game lets you change server settings to your preference. So there is always the possibility to run your own server with your preferred rules. This is not possible with a MMO.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    AlBQuirky said:
    Brainy said:
    Not quite, for this player. I don't mind dieing at all, when I have a chance to win, that is. Rare has been my own PvP experience where this happens.
    Yeah sometimes you have to take lumps.  MMORPG certainly favor numbers and surprise attacks.  
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    AlBQuirky said:
    Brainy said:
    Yep, the crux of the problem is not dying, it's not having a chance in hell to fight back, and this being abused to grief.
    I can even tolerate not having a chance to win.  What I can't stand is the PvP player dictates how I want to play.  If I want to mine some ore, and the PvP player kills me repeatedly, I am unable to achieve my immediate goal.  I have to either change my objective (do something else) or capitulate and do what he wants (fight back).  My choice is disrupted.  If a crafter could force the PvP player into mining ore for them, or a role-player could force the PvP player to sit around a campfire and sing songs, then there would some equity.  There's not.  The PvP player dictates 100% of the interaction between players on grounds they choose.  That's my objection.

And before anyone suggests that making another person sing is a form of griefing, let me point out that I didn't suggest making another person sit around and listen to me sing.

[Deleted User]AlBQuirky[Deleted User]kitarad

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.