Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO player political ideas

ChimborazoChimborazo Member UncommonPosts: 114
edited July 8 in Off-Topic Discussion
I like to put labels on people and study their behavior and preferences, despite everybody shouting "all individuals are different!!!". 
I wanted to ask you fellows: what do you think is the average "political belief" of MMO players? Right / left, liberal / conservative etc. 
Do you think gamers care less (on average) about politics and stuff like that, because they're too focused on their games? 

Should I ask you not to turn this into Donald vs Clinton? 

Currently on: Guild Wars 2
Post edited by Chimborazo on

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member RarePosts: 8,468
    Yeah, no.
    She was grimacing. "That does sound like what America's has been trying to do for the last century or two--get rich faster than the parasites could steal it."   The Free Lunch by Spider Robinson
  • GorweGorwe Member RarePosts: 5,258
    I like to put labels on people and study their behavior and preferences, despite everybody shouting "all individuals are different!!!". 
    I wanted to ask you fellows: what do you think is the average "political belief" of MMO players? Right / left, liberal / conservative etc. 
    Do you think gamers care less (on average) about politics and stuff like that, because they're too focused on their games? 

Should I ask you not to turn this into Donald vs Clinton? 

I rather like politics and that's why I will tell you that it's not really as simple as Left vs Right. That's what they want you to believe in order to turn this away from merits of persons and consequences of things (not) done. I understand that you probably oversimplified it so an average person can understand it though. With that said, I'd expect MMO players to be somewhat Socially Progressive, but Economically Centrist.
    Chimborazo
  • ChimborazoChimborazo Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I believe that hardcore MMO players, in general, tend to care less about politics and other stuff in the real world. They're usually atheist and therefore pro abortion, divorce and anything else that the church is against.
    I would say that they're on average more open toward other cultures and immigration  since they get a chance to talk and play with people from different nations (not the type of people who's going to become a refugee ofc) but I've also always associated pepe the frog, alt-right and stuff like that to MMOs (not that every player is part of alt-right, just that most people in certain areas of the web usually are or have been avid MMO players) 
    Gorwe
    I believe that hardcore MMO players, in general, tend to care less about politics and other stuff in the real world. They're usually atheist and therefore pro abortion, divorce and anything else that the church is against.
    I would say that they're on average more open toward other cultures and immigration  since they get a chance to talk and play with people from different nations (not the type of people who's going to become a refugee ofc) but I've also always associated pepe the frog, alt-right and stuff like that to MMOs (not that every player is part of alt-right, just that most people in certain areas of the web usually are or have been avid MMO players) 
    Maybe some alt right people are actually far left people who feel betrayed by the current left?
    Gorwe said:
    Maybe some alt right people are actually far left people who feel betrayed by the current left?
    I don't know, never followed them tbh. 
    Would you like to expand your point of view? 
    Gorwe said:
    I don't know, never followed them tbh. 
    Would you like to expand your point of view? 
    Basically, it is a psychology 101. Sometimes when someone "betrays" you(or you feel betrayed), you can rebel so far as to go to the opposing side. Some people could do that just for the lulz too because they're bored of one and the same. I also firmly believe that there isn't that much separating far lefts and far rights except for the names / words they use.
    I understand! 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member RarePosts: 1,841
    I'm in the center with a slight pull to the left. 

<-----O-----> [I'm one dash left of center]

I believe that politics should have the same standards as science and academia. Essentially, evidence based policy and everything else. Any one that lies or misleads or says baseless shit is garbage regardless of what party. I disagree with both parties and think the middle ground is best. I also think that extremism in any form is a mental disorder but that's just me. 

Peace. 
  • ImNotHarryImNotHarry Member CommonPosts: 19
    I play video games not for political discussions.
    I'm in the center with a slight pull to the left. 

<-----O-----> [I'm one dash left of center]

I believe that politics should have the same standards as science and academia. Essentially, evidence based policy and everything else. Any one that lies or misleads or says baseless shit is garbage regardless of what party. I disagree with both parties and think the middle ground is best. I also think that extremism in any form is a mental disorder but that's just me. 

Peace. 
    I agree. I'm for example economically centrist while being rather anti authority(I'm not auto anti authority, they just have to prove themselves to me or I won't respect them past lip service). That'd be Center-Left in layman's terms I guess. 2-2 1/2 notches to the left. Let's say 2 1/4.
  • AmatheAmathe Member EpicPosts: 4,040
    What I have been encountering on these boards, and other boards populated by gamers, is that they are all over the board politically. If there is a trend I am missing it.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests