Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hype

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
I'm hyped, BUT my theory is this: 

This game will be grand for what it's trying to accomplish.  It will be deep, it will be unique for it's play style mixed with a lot of Old School EverQuest 1 traits that will be "brand new" to millions of younger players. 

Speaking of younger players....This game will attract many by the thousands/millions.  Too many people here sell the younger generation short. 

This is a truly false misconception !!!  

It's false because people are lead to believe the NEW CRAP is what they want, instead OLD SCHOOL WAS TAKEN AWAY, NO ONE ASKED FOR THAT !...  "People simply play what's in front of them"... If people are starving, they will "eat" out of garbage cans.  The key word here is "eat" no matter what !  

The only concern I have is coding.... Will it play for millions !  
NephethGanksinatrajimmywolf

Comments

• ScoliozScolioz Member UncommonPosts: 110
    I don't care
    craftseeker
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

This game will be grand for what it's trying to accomplish.  It will be deep, it will be unique for it's play style mixed with a lot of Old School EverQuest 1 traits that will be "brand new" to millions of younger players. 

Speaking of younger players....This game will attract many by the thousands/millions.  Too many people here sell the younger generation short. 

It's false because people are lead to believe the NEW CRAP is what they want, instead OLD SCHOOL WAS TAKEN AWAY, NO ONE ASKED FOR THAT !...  "People simply play what's in front of them"... If people are starving, they will "eat" out of garbage cans.  The key word here is "eat" no matter what !  

This really couldn't be put into one of the other threads...?
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    bcbully

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455

I took my 13yr old soon to play EQ (what it is now) and he loves it. I explained how easy it was now, and how it used to be. I explained that there used to be a QUADrinity, not a trinity....that there were classes specifically made as support. I told him the glory days of my enchanter, controlling the ebb and flow of combat and controlling the minds of mobs, turning them on one another.  Then I told him about Pantheon.

You're right. The younger generation is bored with WoW. They want a challenge. They want something where there is danger to the world. Anyone remember the wandering giants and griffawns in East Commonlands? You COULD go AFK, but they might find you, and that meant certain death. Hell, even being at the computer often meant certain death from them. That's what games need again. They need danger. They need a sense of community.

I think Pantheon is coming along at exactly the right time. MMOs were pretty niche before WoW. Now, WoW has brought the genre to the attention of millions more players. Now is the time to reintroduce the challenge. 
    craftseeker
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

I took my 13yr old soon to play EQ (what it is now) and he loves it. I explained how easy it was now, and how it used to be. I explained that there used to be a QUADrinity, not a trinity....that there were classes specifically made as support. I told him the glory days of my enchanter, controlling the ebb and flow of combat and controlling the minds of mobs, turning them on one another.  Then I told him about Pantheon.

You're right. The younger generation is bored with WoW. They want a challenge. They want something where there is danger to the world. Anyone remember the wandering giants and griffawns in East Commonlands? You COULD go AFK, but they might find you, and that meant certain death. Hell, even being at the computer often meant certain death from them. That's what games need again. They need danger. They need a sense of community.

I think Pantheon is coming along at exactly the right time. MMOs were pretty niche before WoW. Now, WoW has brought the genre to the attention of millions more players. Now is the time to reintroduce the challenge. 
    I believe a rebalance between new and old school is necessary, but it is far harder to then work out where that should lie. There does not seem to be any appreciation of that from what I have seen from the team so far. Just copying and pasting old school is not going to attract Deletes "millions" of players.
    Mendel
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Scot said:

I believe a rebalance between new and old school is necessary, but it is far harder to then work out where that should lie. There does not seem to be any appreciation of that from what I have seen from the team so far. Just copying and pasting old school is not going to attract Deletes "millions" of players.
    As much as I'm waiting in anticipation for a First generation game, I do have to say a really large well built second generation game would attract much more.  Possibly a WoW killer.
    Scot said:

As much as I'm waiting in anticipation for a First generation game, I do have to say a really large well built second generation game would attract much more.  Possibly a WoW killer.
    This is why MMOs got stuck in a rut since WoW, I do hope the indies try something different and we need as many as possible to be successful, otherwise the idea MMOs must be like WoW will stick for another 14 years.
    Mendel
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

This is why MMOs got stuck in a rut since WoW, I do hope the indies try something different and we need as many as possible to be successful, otherwise the idea MMOs must be like WoW will stick for another 14 years.
    Why not the first great game of Generation 3 instead of falling back to a Gen 1 clone?  Gen 2 (WoW and clones) have had their day.  Expand what we *want* in an MMORPG.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Difficult to say until the game actually comes out.  Devs have a way of throwing in extra ideas at the last min. that makes the whole game go sideways.  Few actually stick to their original concept.  Or things you take for granted will be good like a great combat system and class balance may end up being bad.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    WoW can only be killed by Blizzard itself.  Meaning they (Blizzard) decides to shut the game down.  That isn't going to happen any time soon.  The people who play WoW, play WoW out of habit, not because it's some awesome game.  That's why no other game on the planet gets their attention.  They aren't looking for a game to replace WoW. 

MMOs aren't stuck in a rut.  They are what the genre is.  Chess isn't any different now than it was decades ago.  Is chess stuck in a rut because it's still chess?

None of you are looking for a new MMO, you're looking for the old one you used to play.  It's why you are never happy with anything that has or will come out.  You're trying to relive the past.  Even if some developer rebooted your beloved game same code and all nothing changed, you wouldn't play it for very long because the PEOPLE you played it with are not there anymore.  That's the one part of the equation no game can ever rekindle.  That group of Aussies that played on your server with you at 3AM.  Some of these people are dead.  You can't change that.  But they made the game you loved worth playing.  It was never the game itself, it was the people you interacted with. 

But go ahead, try MMO #105,678,001 out and see if they have managed to resurrect the dead for you.
    Wellspring
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    I only look forward to games that companies like From Soft release cause they are always good(the souls games)Team Ninja did a great job with Nioh and Code Vein looks good,MMO`S,very disappointing these days.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't sell the younger generation short it is merely a fact they are just different.
    I only need to point at cell phones,kids fondle them like they are made of golds and carry theme everywhere,we never had cell phones.
    When i look at twitch TV that is the representation of the younger gamer and almost NOTHING in that list ever catches my interest.
    The ONLY top 10 game i have ever played from Twitch is Hearthstone,not because i think the game is really good,i am simply a fan of TCG's and go way back to MTG early years.
    Point being it is an entirely different mind set,those are almsot ALL Esport games in the top list and streaming+esport has catered to a new era of people trying to make a living from gaming and streaming.
    Know why we streamed or played games early years>>FOR fun and to share the fun and NOT for personal fame or to make $$$.
    So i disagree,this Pantheon if aiming at EQ1 will NOT entice the new crowd of gamer because NOTHING in Twitch or the popular gaming trends has given any indication it will.

Pantheon instead needs to cater to it's old school crowd and TRY to entice a few others with the "cool" aspect.Yes grouping can be fun but the newer generation and a LARGE amount of gamer's are soloer's and hyper with no patience for a group.Will there be new pl;ayers that think hmm maybe i want to try that grouping idea out?NOPE,we already have grouping,it has just been simplified into a meaningless endeavor to simply help each other get end game loot or to conquer dungeon Bosses and NOT for the grouping experience.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Did you see that live game play from a couple months ago? Come on man.... it was painfully slow.

It looked like every single WoW clone that has come out for the past 14 years.

There was absolutly nothing in that dungeon play through that had not been done  adnauseam by anyone who has played an mmorpg. 

Warrior, pally, mage.... pull, kill, rinse repeat...

Wellspring
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    edited July 2018
    Mendel said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

Why not the first great game of Generation 3 instead of falling back to a Gen 1 clone?  Gen 2 (WoW and clones) have had their day.  Expand what we *want* in an MMORPG.

Until they come out Generation 3 does not exist, I have seen a few interesting ideas in up coming indie MMOs but until launch they are just ideas. Also SotA had some interesting ideas, but that MMO shows you need to have more than some good ideas.
    Post edited by Scot on