Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Around the Verse - Alpha 3.2 in 5 Minutes or Less - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

124»

Comments

• CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    An interesting look at patch 3.2

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Babuinix said:
    lahnmir said:
    The problem SC, and any game in that position, has is that for many there is a relationship between time and money on the one hand and quality and size of the game on the other. If a game takes three times as long to develop as predicted and costs have quadrupled most if not all people expect a bigger wnd better game then before.
    And the game has absolutely became bigger and better than before.

I don't think anyone can deny that, and that's one of the main reasons why the backers keep supporting it and the funding keeps on growing.

It is exactly because we can see the game growing and improving in quality every year.

The most visible enhancements to the original pitch are ofc the seamless landings on procedurally generated planets! The original design was ala Freelancer, where yo would have cutscene into a planet to a selected small location. Now we get full moons to land whenever we want, huge underground cities to explore and are getting full city planets to land in the future.

And that's just the most visible part, we now have much better visual effects, an increasing bigger number of ships, vehicles and roles. A deeper FPS system,

And that's not only for Star Citizen but also affects Squadron 42 , we now have a cast of around 20 Hollywood lvl actors instead of just "1 maybe 2". We got access to the best motion capture actor in the world, multiple studios across the world, some of the best of the best dev's in the industry...

Just like all the other Chris Roberts games, both Star CItizen and Squadron42 will be genre defining games that will push tech and the industry forward. And that's exactly why people are willing to support it as much as they are.
    Oh, it has definitely become bigger and better, but thats not what I am trying to get across. For many that needs to be one upped the longer it takes and the more expensive it becomes. As the years and money pile up it would be something like this from announcement till now:

Very big and very good
    Even bigger and better
    The biggest and best
    Beyond anything ever seen with tech from the future by an almost godlike CR, a life changing product.

That last line might seem a bit silly but quite a few fans come very close to that, or parts of it. And even if that last line hjolds true, what comes after that? We've reached a point with SC as a product where it can not in any way become even better or bigger but it could still take a lot longer with a lot more money. Where do you go from there? CRs fans will follow him for sure, he's got a loyal following and with the drought in the genre I can imagine that they REALLY want him to succeed, hell, I want them to succeed and bought the game because I wanted to try it and you shared your system specs so I knew I could at least try it. But the masses? After biggest and best there comes nothing but delays and more costs, then it goes from exciting prospect to boring waiting game. Time is literally against SC, not because of SC or CR but because you can't keep hype and momentum going forever, for anything.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited July 2018
    Cotic said:
    An interesting look at patch 3.2
    Oh dear, that guy on the comments got my feels from it "Wow so much hate. Every word sounds like you want to punch everyone involved in the Star Citizen Project.". This guy could be the next DS if he gets triggered enough to go full obsession, a new darklord will arise, let the anger consume you, yes yes.
    rpmcmurphyottejeBabuinix
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    There's a disturbance in the Farce.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Oh look, another person who doesn't like SC.. better bring up Derek Smart.
    BeansnBread

..Cake..

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    sgel said:
    Oh look, another person who doesn't like SC.. better bring up Derek Smart.
    Wuut, that's so low effort, disappointed, expected more fidelity on your post and would like to request a refund for my lost viewing time.
    Babuinix
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited July 2018
    Babuinix said:
    Were Star Marine and 3.0 really "problems"?
    Why? Because they got delayed? Because that never happens in game development right?

Anyone that knows a thing or two about game development knows that the implementation of features ends up taking more time than planned, and more often than not even get cut altogether. This doesn't mean that they are "problems" at all. What they are is an integral part of the hurdles of game development. It's part of the process and no company can escape them. It's the nature of the beast.

It's as ridiculous as claiming that a young children healthy days are numbered because he's suffering from wisdom teeth pain and the parents are the culprits lol :D

The only real "problem" was that disgruntled backers turned haters used that and other stuff to push a narrative to attack Star Citizen and Chris Roberts professionalism! Mostly because some dumb goons got kicked from the forum's for not liking feature X or Y while derek dumbness tried to rub shoulders with Chris and get money to keep it's LoD "game" from going under (it did) and got ignored so they decided to join forces and engage in a fud/troll campaign that's been going for almost 3 years now lol

They then proceed to turn every single hurdle that happens with any game in development into a heavily sensationalized drama to promote their FUD on the project with a clear but desperate intent to harm Star Citizen by trying to sabotage it's funding.

And if you think that fans of a game, any game, by posting media about the game they like and being happy about features and updates coming out, being genuinely excited for the prospect of the game that it's unfolding right in front of them is Shilling then you are confused about what makes gaming a passion for many people across the world.

Just the audacity to compare that with the ongoing hate and campaign perpetrated by a bunch of disgruntled sociopaths who've used such deplorable efforts like harassing CIG dev's in social media, faking glassdoor reviews, faking "journalist" pieces, faking refunds, faking videos, faking articles and god knows what more lol

If you think that's acceptable or even equal to being genuinely excited to see the dream game get made you are also part of the "problem".

Sorry goons/haters but Star Citizen keeps going strong, you tried and failed, just like IRL lol
    And this just shows how revisionistic and irrational you are. Any criticism or scepticism and you go off the deep end. Very strange.

Star Marine (Illfonic) was a colossal waste of time and backer's money. CIG also kept their mouths shut and wouldn't update backers as to what was going on for 18 months or so despite announcing an imminent release at PAX, taking a load of funding by saying it would arrive within a week or 2 etc.

Same game with 3.0. Advertise a great looking update, say it's coming at the end of the year, sell an accompanying $750 ship and then fail to deliver for over 12 months, with barely any updates as to what was going on.

Gee Chris you got me good... what a card you are...

Edit: If it was some other game that did this you would be holding it up as an example of what developers should not to do, if it was Braben or Murray you'd be using it as a basis of your complaints when comparing games but because it's "your" game you play it down as though it's no big deal. Must take a lot of kool-aid to get there.
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited July 2018
    lahnmir said:
    Oh, it has definitely become bigger and better, but thats not what I am trying to get across. For many that needs to be one upped the longer it takes and the more expensive it becomes. As the years and money pile up it would be something like this from announcement till now:

We've reached a point with SC as a product where it can not in any way become even better or bigger but it could still take a lot longer with a lot more money.
    Oh It can definitely become better and bigger, and it will become better and bigger.

Squadron 42 isn't even being marketed to the general gaming public, that game alone has a huge potential mass-market appeal for it's cast alone.

People might getting bored of waiting but that's fundamentally their problem, the games are being made nonetheless and impatient people will just have to keep waiting, they have no other option! Now bitching about it, well that is entirely optional, pointless yes, but I understand it's easier to rant about delays, bugs or lack of released dates instead of making the effort of understanding why it happens.
    And this just shows how revisionistic and irrational you are. Any criticism or scepticism and you go off the deep end. Very strange.

Star Marine (Illfonic) was a colossal waste of time and backer's money. CIG also kept their mouths shut and wouldn't update backers as to what was going on for 18 months or so despite announcing an imminent release at PAX, taking a load of funding by saying it would arrive within a week or 2 etc.

Same game with 3.0. Advertise a great looking update, say it's coming at the end of the year, sell an accompanying $750 ship and then fail to deliver for over 12 months, with barely any updates as to what was going on.

Gee Chris you got me good... what a card you are...

Edit: If it was some other game that did this you would be holding it up as an example of what developers should not to do, if it was Braben or Murray you'd be using it as a basis of your complaints when comparing games but because it's "your" game you play it down as though it's no big deal. Must take a lot of kool-aid to get there.
    That made up assumption that Star Marine or 3.0 were the reasons Star Citizen got funding is so dumb. They would have gotten funding anyway like they've always got. And will continue to get.

Star Marine and 3.0 are now released and playable, delays and step-backs are part of every game in development. Looking back, all the drama and crying about it was as useless then as it is now.

If you don't have the maturity or insight to deal with the hurdles of game development you should adjust your expectations accordingly .

The sooner you understand that's just how game development works with every single game the sooner you stop being aggravated by it. This "problem" is on the people who know no better, not in the industry or methodology of game development. You are the reason why Studios keep their mouth shut during most of the process of creating a game, gamers are oblivious to the difficulties it entails.

Probably you prefer being kept in the dark and knowing nothing about what Frontier will bring in the next Elite update and that's ok, you've probably learned to adjust your spectations accordingly.

I personally prefer knowing what CIG is working on and the direction they are taking the game, I know perfectly that delays will happen in feature X or Y and things will definitely change along the way and I have no problems with that because I know that has happened with multiple other game studios when developing their games.

It's the nature of the beast, you cant change it. You embrace it and you roll with it.
    Post edited by Babuinix on