Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battle for Middle Earth returns! Let's see if Sauron ( EA ) reacts...

RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 5,889

Comments

  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member RarePosts: 4,524
    Interesting video, but no links?

    And did I see Gandalf's "water horses" in the middle of a forest?

    - Al

    Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 5,889
    AlBQuirky said:
    Interesting video, but no links?

    And did I see Gandalf's "water horses" in the middle of a forest?
    It's a fan made version of BFME in Unreal 4 engine. However, they not only have to deal with Warner Brothers, who are the current license holders of Lord of the Ring games, but also Electronic Arts who were the original publishers of the BFME series.

    No offense to the copyright laws of this great nation, but BFME was never going to be redone by anyone. So, like Nicholas Cage stated in National Treasure, "To those who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right."

    I will never understand why something so valuable can just be lost in time because of a copyright law.... F that. Unless of course, there is no more copyright law. They still have to deal with Warner Brothers and their Lord of the Rings, licensing agreement though.
    AlBQuirky

  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 2,672
    Hell I still have my original CD's for this game but it won't work if I install it so I had to pirate it.

    It's too bad there wasn't some kind of non-profit fan tribute clause for copyrights...
    AlBQuirky

    "You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

    "classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer



  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 2,881
    There is a reason most of those games never touched the "ultra realistic" graphics realm: You can't tell a swordsman troop from a bowman apart.

    RTS is about rapid response to enemy strategy. If I take couple seconds to locate something it failed on its design.

    As pretty as it is I would rather watch than play it. Because it is just too busy to a game that relies on strategy.
    TaishiFoxAlBQuirky
    - Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 5,889
    Nyctelios said:
    There is a reason most of those games never touched the "ultra realistic" graphics realm: You can't tell a swordsman troop from a bowman apart.

    RTS is about rapid response to enemy strategy. If I take couple seconds to locate something it failed on its design.

    As pretty as it is I would rather watch than play it. Because it is just too busy to a game that relies on strategy.
    Well, as far as RTS games go, the BFME series was just as good if not better in my opinion then Starcraft series. They combined RPG and RTS perfectly and along with the voice overs, made the battles into a compelling short film. I'm getting old and my nimble fingers and sharp mind aren't what they used to be and this is one RTS I could still play competitively, unlike the Starcraft series which require you to mimic the control of a computer on crack.

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 25,230
    Rhoklaw said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Interesting video, but no links?

    And did I see Gandalf's "water horses" in the middle of a forest?
    It's a fan made version of BFME in Unreal 4 engine. However, they not only have to deal with Warner Brothers, who are the current license holders of Lord of the Ring games, but also Electronic Arts who were the original publishers of the BFME series.

    No offense to the copyright laws of this great nation, but BFME was never going to be redone by anyone. So, like Nicholas Cage stated in National Treasure, "To those who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right."

    I will never understand why something so valuable can just be lost in time because of a copyright law.... F that. Unless of course, there is no more copyright law. They still have to deal with Warner Brothers and their Lord of the Rings, licensing agreement though.
    I don't look at it like that at all.

    If someone or some company owns the rights to something they own it. If one doesn't like it, make them an offer.

    If you can't make a sizeable offer or they don't want to sell then "it is what it is."


    MendelAlBQuirky



  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 2,881
    Rhoklaw said:
    Nyctelios said:
    There is a reason most of those games never touched the "ultra realistic" graphics realm: You can't tell a swordsman troop from a bowman apart.

    RTS is about rapid response to enemy strategy. If I take couple seconds to locate something it failed on its design.

    As pretty as it is I would rather watch than play it. Because it is just too busy to a game that relies on strategy.
    Well, as far as RTS games go, the BFME series was just as good if not better in my opinion then Starcraft series. They combined RPG and RTS perfectly and along with the voice overs, made the battles into a compelling short film. I'm getting old and my nimble fingers and sharp mind aren't what they used to be and this is one RTS I could still play competitively, unlike the Starcraft series which require you to mimic the control of a computer on crack.
    That has nothing to do with what I said. This fan version is too busy graphically. I played the originals a lot, you could see what was going on clearly.
    AlBQuirky
    - Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member RarePosts: 4,303
    edited July 5
    EA won't care but WB who currently holds game licenses to Middle Earth will.  EA never cared about the sites that have been hosting download files for those games
    Post edited by FrodoFragins on
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 5,274
    Regardless, proper IP rights / laws should be enforced so as to avoid unnecessary chaos like Steam Direct / Greenlight. However, titles that haven't been updated in a while(aka "maintenance mode") should be opened for modding. Not sure about third party recreations though.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 25,230
    Gorwe said:
    Regardless, proper IP rights / laws should be enforced so as to avoid unnecessary chaos like Steam Direct / Greenlight. However, titles that haven't been updated in a while(aka "maintenance mode") should be opened for modding. Not sure about third party recreations though.
    hmmm, I would say that it would be nice if they were opened for modding.

    There's no "should" because why? Because people just want it?

    If it works within companies' business plans then great. But maybe they don't want to deal with property being tinkered with.

    there was a youtube series called "Adult Wednesday Adams" which I thought pretty funny. The owners of the license had issue with it so it had to stop.

    Now "I" think it would be a good thing to let it go becuase it keeps the character alive for fans and it could only help the Adams family brand should whatever studio that owns it decide to make another movie/show.

    But they thought differently and I personally respect that. It's theirs and they don't want it used. They might even think it tarnishes the brand and since it's theirs that is their right.
    AlBQuirkyGorwe



  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member RarePosts: 4,524
    Copyright laws are in place for "protection." The owners see the whole picture quite differently from "fans", who think they can do whatever they wish, because "Don't crush my creativity!"

    I agree with @Sovrath, talk to them about a project, make them an offer, work within the laws instead of outside them. If YOU owned those rights, I bet you'd see things quite differently.

    Now, having said that, I agree that games that are no longer supported, where you have to dig through hundreds of Internet pages to even find a copy of it and the developers cease making money on it (like eBay sales), those games should be opened up to public manipulation. I wonder if you contacted WB/EA, would they even sell you another disc set for this game? Probably not as they would make it available on Origin, then :)
    Mendel

    - Al

    Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

  • ScotScot Member EpicPosts: 9,504
    AlBQuirky said:
    Interesting video, but no links?

    And did I see Gandalf's "water horses" in the middle of a forest?
    They were "forest horses" they just looked a bit watery because it had been raining. ;)

    Like you as a Tolkien fan I get niggled by that sort of thing.

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 5,274
    Scot said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Interesting video, but no links?

    And did I see Gandalf's "water horses" in the middle of a forest?
    They were "forest horses" they just looked a bit watery because it had been raining. ;)

    Like you as a Tolkien fan I get niggled by that sort of thing.
    Honestly, I don't fully get that scene in the movies. Why was Arwen able to do that? Why was Arwen even there instead of Glorfindel? How and why does she have such a strong connection to water and why did Ulmo(Osse?) decide to react in this case? Meh, it was probably done to make the scene more epic, cuz magic!
    ScotMendel
  • ScotScot Member EpicPosts: 9,504
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Interesting video, but no links?

    And did I see Gandalf's "water horses" in the middle of a forest?
    They were "forest horses" they just looked a bit watery because it had been raining. ;)

    Like you as a Tolkien fan I get niggled by that sort of thing.
    Honestly, I don't fully get that scene in the movies. Why was Arwen able to do that? Why was Arwen even there instead of Glorfindel? How and why does she have such a strong connection to water and why did Ulmo(Osse?) decide to react in this case? Meh, it was probably done to make the scene more epic, cuz magic!
    It was Elrond with a touch from Gandalf, Arwen came in to give the women in the film more of a role. She had already replaced Glorfindel in the horse race to Rivendell.
    Mendel

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • MendelMendel Member RarePosts: 2,596
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Interesting video, but no links?

    And did I see Gandalf's "water horses" in the middle of a forest?
    They were "forest horses" they just looked a bit watery because it had been raining. ;)

    Like you as a Tolkien fan I get niggled by that sort of thing.
    Honestly, I don't fully get that scene in the movies. Why was Arwen able to do that? Why was Arwen even there instead of Glorfindel? How and why does she have such a strong connection to water and why did Ulmo(Osse?) decide to react in this case? Meh, it was probably done to make the scene more epic, cuz magic!
    It was Elrond with a touch from Gandalf, Arwen came in to give the women in the film more of a role. She had already replaced Glorfindel in the horse race to Rivendell.
    Another case of Hollywood screenwriters changing literature to fit their 'vision'.  Let the classic literature stand on its own; it doesn't need 'help' or need to be politically correct.  What's next, a version of Alcot's 'Little Women' with an all male cast?  Bad, Hollywood!  Bad!




    ScotRhoklaw

    Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

  • GutlardGutlard Member UncommonPosts: 364
    edited July 6
    I'm still hoping someone creates a Middle-Earth Online MMORPG on new engines with new no-lag megaservers, starting at the beginning of the lore with expacs leading to the end, and including LoTR's lore as a part of it, redone.

    I'd like to create characters on 'the other side' and level them up through the ages as well, as my dwarves/elves/humans/hobbits/Bombadils/etc... :p

    Is that too much to ask?! Sheesh!

    Just trying to get The Silmarillion released in English on Audible in the States has been rough.

    Hey Bezos, can I have a billion dollhairs to get the IP and create this game in direct competition to your own?

    Gut *help a brother* Out!


    Post edited by Gutlard on
    Scot

    What, me worry?

Sign In or Register to comment.