Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : 7 Ways Assassin's Creed Odyssey is Mass Effect in Ancient Greece

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited July 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageMMORPG.com : General : 7 Ways Assassin's Creed Odyssey is Mass Effect in Ancient Greece

MMORPG.com is the leading destination for MMORPG games, news and exclusive coverage of the MMO gaming space. Our free MMO games list and discussion forums are the best site for gamers in search of a gaming community.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    This is honestly awesome. :) It does help to apply a bit of balm to my poor Mass Effect heart. Can't wait!
    psychosiz13dominfomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    One of the best games of E3 2018. Never really even had much interest in the Assassins Creed series until this one.
    SBFordpsychosiz1
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    This looks incredibly fun.

*Looks in crystal ball*

Unfortunately this thread will be ruined by some random yahoos who do not like female leads and women that aren't blonde hair blue eyed with giant chesticles. I see the invoking of 3 letters, accusations of agenda, and calling the developers lib... librarians. Yes.

All jokes aside (I wasn't joking the crystal ball doesn't lie), this looks awesome especially the naval combat.
    SBFordkitaradTillerblamo2000infomatz
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Did you just preemptively whine about "insert random reason"?
    SBFordblamo2000
  • arbi15arbi15 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    thats some dumb shit to say. all the points why its a mass effect, are trash. because none of these things were invented or popularized by mass effect.

assassins creed games are RPG´s now (thank god), no need to compare it another single rpg.
    psychosiz1SaltyDog79infomatz
    edited July 2018

arbi15 said:

thats some dumb shit to say. all the points why its a mass effect, are trash. because none of these things were invented or popularized by mass effect.

assassins creed games are RPG´s now (thank god), no need to compare it another single rpg.

I think if you took it as a light-hearted look at Odyssey and how it might be a good fit for displaced Mass Effect fans, it has a point.

Many players are, I think, kind of like me. I've never played an Assassin's Creed game before, but because of some surface similarities to Mass Effect, I'm actually interested in Odyssey where I might not have been otherwise.

I thought it was fun and I'm definitely down with the Spartan Kick too. :D
    [Deleted User]psychosiz1SaltyDog79infomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The female protagonist certainly speaks with a strong Greek accent. It was probably intentional. I haven't heard the male protagonist.
    edited July 2018
    Xasapis said:
    The female protagonist certainly speaks with a strong Greek accent. It was probably intentional. I haven't heard the male protagonist.
    The dev team has said that most of the cast is Greek. :)

https://www.vg247.com/2018/06/19/assassins-creed-odyssey-greek-actors/

“What we tried to do was look for actors who are Greek or have Greek ancestry,” audio director Lydia Andrew told me during E3. “We really felt like it was a nice opportunity for us to have a deep dive into the culture of Greece and obviously Ancient Greece.

“You can have a great actor who’s great at accents, and that’s fantastic, but you can also find great Greek actors and work with them too.”

Skavenaps

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    I love Greek Mythology so I was hooked with just that. I never got to play the Mass Effect series even though I own the first 3(?). That being said I like the Assassin's Creed mythos, comics, etc. and pre-order this one during E3 :-)
    [Deleted User]SBFordpsychosiz1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

They really need to get rid of the Animus and just make historically inspired game series.
    SBFordSolar_ProphetSabracinfomatz
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Was never a fan of the AC games except for Black Flag, I think the ship play made the rest of it tolerable. Odyssey, so far, looks similar plus the Greek setting is win in my book.
    SBFord
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    Anyone who plays a character from ancient Greece called Cassandra is just asking for trouble. :)
    [Deleted User]SBFord
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    edited July 2018

Xasapis said:

They really need to get rid of the Animus and just make historically inspired game series.

I always hated all the 'modern day' sections of the games. They felt tacked on and pointless, and really ruined the pacing and atmosphere of the games. Just let me enjoy a good historical fiction game without all that crap. It's a shame I'm boycotting Ubisoft for misandrist employment practices. The game looks awesome, but I can't support a company which discriminates against people based on their gender, race, religion, etc.
    Post edited by Solar_Prophet on
    Sabrac

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Who would've had thought that Ubisoft would give us the RPG that Bioware failed to give us with ME:A.

Looking forward for this one.
    SBFord
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130

*Looks in crystal ball*

Unfortunately this thread will be ruined by some random yahoos who do not like female leads and women that aren't blonde hair blue eyed with giant chesticles. I see the invoking of 3 letters, accusations of agenda, and calling the developers lib... librarians. Yes.

All jokes aside (I wasn't joking the crystal ball doesn't lie), this looks awesome especially the naval combat.

I think a valid stance to take is against games that are labeled as rpgs forcing you into a character that looks a particular way. Why such a hyper-focus on the superficial? ME let you play a blond hair, blue-eyed women, or an ebony skinned male, or a Greek looking women, etc. I dislike any pre-set character, and much prefer to at least set the superficial aspects of a character myself. From the Gothics, to the Witchers, to Kingdom Come - disliking the main character and how they look hurt my enjoyment of the game.

Instead of viewing this through some sort of political lens, why not view it through the lens of more or less options, diversity of choice, and more or less rpg aspects?
    FlyByKnight
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    edited July 2018
    blamo2000 said:

*Looks in crystal ball*

I think a valid stance to take is against games that are labeled as rpgs forcing you into a character that looks a particular way. Why such a hyper-focus on the superficial? ME let you play a blond hair, blue-eyed women, or an ebony skinned male, or a Greek looking women, etc. I dislike any pre-set character, and much prefer to at least set the superficial aspects of a character myself. From the Gothics, to the Witchers, to Kingdom Come - disliking the main character and how they look hurt my enjoyment of the game.

Instead of viewing this through some sort of political lens, why not view it through the lens of more or less options, diversity of choice, and more or less rpg aspects?
    I don't mind playing a role or making my own guy up, both can be great done well. I do think people are maybe jumping the gun on this, wishful thinking maybe? But I always avoid looking into a game as it results in going to spoiler hell, so hopefully those who have looked into this more are right.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    This will be the first Assasin's Creed game I play, but it has nothing to do with having or not having similarities to Mass Effect. I've never been a fan of rogue-like gameplay, but the Assasin's Creed movie left me wanting to step into this world, and the ancient Egypt theme of the last game almost interested me enough to try it. Ancient Greece however, take my money now.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
    edited July 2018
    blamo2000 said:

*Looks in crystal ball*

Every Assassin's Creed game has had premade characters. The Witcher games have premade characters. It's not as uncommon as it seems for this type of game.

I don't mind playing a premade character. It's the choices I make as that character that make her "me" just as much, if not more, than a custom character.
    MadFrenchieSovrathSabrac

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This honestly sounds like Ubisoft hired the old ME team lol. I actually might pick this up although, it kind of reminds me more of Dragon Age vs ME (yea yea pretty much the same thing to some).

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I will definitely pick this game up but worried the combat might be too hard for me.
    Chamber of Chains

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    SBFord said:
    blamo2000 said:

*Looks in crystal ball*

Every Assassin's Creed game has had premade characters. The Witcher games have premade characters. It's not as uncommon as it seems for this type of game.

I don't mind playing a premade character. It's the choices I make as that character that make her "me" just as much, if not more, than a custom character.
    Pre-made characters are certainly the more popular option.  But I don't like it.  It specifically hurt my enjoyment of the Gothic games, the Witchers, KCD, etc, as I said.  

I have never played an Assassin's Creed game and probably won't start with this one (which has more to do with my disbelieving people calling most console games rpgs that have nothing that I look for in rpg games, like they did with Prey, Dishonored, etc, than with my specific knowledge of this game).  But I dislike people politicizing an issue that, for me, is about rpg elements and not about politics, and mentioning political BS does nothing to further any real or valid discussion of the topic.

Let me ask you this - would you have liked the games you've liked with pre-defined characters more or less if you could have changed their looks?  Or their gender?  Or voice?  

If you like the choices you make as that character, wouldn't having a choice on how that character looks, their voice, and even their mannerisms just increase your enjoyment or how much you like him or her?

This is where I get confused.  People generally agree that choices are good - but want a pre-defined character.  For me, if I am going to enjoy a game, I have to like the main character the devs inflict upon me.  This isn't usually an issue if I have control.  

I stand by my assertion that in games labeled as rpgs - choice is good not just in the gameplay, but also all aspects of the character.