Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If your favorite character from books, films, history, or legend could be playable in an mmo

13»

Comments

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I take it back. There is one character that I would want to play exactly as he is. Mat Cauthron in Archeage. The guy with the luck so good he raises money to fund an army gambling and the dice roll bad if it's convenient for him.

Usually I avoid RNG like the plague but with luck like that I'd jump to #1 in no time regrading. XD
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Amathe said:
    Who would yours be?

Mine would be Doc Holiday. 
    I love the western movies depicting Holiday but to play him would mean nothing more than a 6 shooter...umm very boring very fast.
    I would be more in tuned to playing a character that could lead to more adventurous ideas like Sinbad or Jason from Jason and the Argonauts.
    I am quite sure i could also enjoy playing Captain Kirk but no developer on this planet for another 50 years is going to recreate a game good enough to recreate a Star trek type atmosphere of venturing to many planets.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I don't want to play ~as~ my favorite persona. I want to be me. But I would like to interact/play ~with~ those personas.
    [Deleted User]
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited June 2018
    thunderC said:

The Hounds ability bar would be 

Fuck the King - Gain Stealth for 12 seconds, all buffs, curses and debuffs are lost, exit the battlefield and gain full health. 

I'll take 2 Chickens- Consume 2 chickens from inventory and gain berserker rage. Strength , agility , and health all increased by 500

Fuck the Water Bring Me Wine - (Passive) Consuming Wine increases Rage by 50 for 30 mins

Eat shit, dwarf - (Passive) Immune to charm, or mind control +100 intelligence vs dwarves & haflings 

You're shit at dying, you know that? - Great Sword Combo If opponent is downed begging for death sword strikes for 1200 dmg if Opponent is downed begging for mercy sword strikes for 3000 dmg

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    edited June 2018
    Wizardry said:
    Amathe said:
    Who would yours be?

Mine would be Doc Holiday. 
    I love the western movies depicting Holiday but to play him would mean nothing more than a 6 shooter...umm very boring very fast.
    I would be more in tuned to playing a character that could lead to more adventurous ideas like Sinbad or Jason from Jason and the Argonauts.
    I am quite sure i could also enjoy playing Captain Kirk but no developer on this planet for another 50 years is going to recreate a game good enough to recreate a Star trek type atmosphere of venturing to many planets.
    Pretty sure Doc Holiday is known to have used a shotgun and a bronze coach gun as well as various pistols. Also why would he not be able to use any period appropriate weapon.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    According to my informal poll, Legolas, Sephiroth, and some guy named Lord Darkity Dark-Dark were the top contenders. That "poll" being other characters names in MMOs I've played ;)

For me, that's a tough question. Quite a few come to mind from books, movies, TV shows. Some are even mentioned by others already.

I think maybe Keith Taylor's Bard, Felimid Mac Fal would be my first choice. Either him or Morgan Llewellyn's Finn Mac Cool (loosely based on the Irish legend Fionn mac Cumhaill).

In a space game, hands down is Scotty (Montgomery Christopher Jorgensen "Scotty" Scott), from Original Star Trek. That man was a genius! I've always loved engineering and "fixing things."

In a western setting, Briscoe County, Jr. (Bruce Campbell). Loved watching him and Lord Bowler take out the bad guys :)

And to continue my Bruce Campbell man-crush, Ash in a zombie setting ;)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited June 2018
    I don't have any favorite characters from any other form of non-gaming media or books or even history, but there are some games that i love and are really well done based on books and history:

-The Witcher, based on books
    -Metro, based on books
    -Nioh, based on the life of the navigator William Adams, the first Englishman to arrive in Japan and become a samurai.

I don't think that idea would work well in an mmo for the same reason Quizzical mentioned above, everyone on your screen will be the same person.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Scot said:
    Book = Jonathan Strange,
    Just the book? The miniseries was really good as well... and Carvel is an excellent Strange.

It would be a great setting for a game, maybe not an mmorpg but something like the 3rd Witcher was.

(on a sidenote, both the book and the show was mentioned from time to time on TSW forums as something encouraged to check out, since it aligns nicely with the game's setting. And because of Carvel was the voice actor of a few NPCs there.)
    Scot
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Po_gg said:
    Scot said:
    Book = Jonathan Strange,
    Just the book? The miniseries was really good as well... and Carvel is an excellent Strange.

It would be a great setting for a game, maybe not an mmorpg but something like the 3rd Witcher was.

(on a sidenote, both the book and the show was mentioned from time to time on TSW forums as something encouraged to check out, since it aligns nicely with the game's setting. And because of Carvel was the voice actor of a few NPCs there.)
    Well I already had my Film spot taken, so it had to be the book. That's what comes with trying to get maximum value out of the thread, four for the price of one. :)
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    Kakashi Hatake
    5CARLLeTT
  • waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Tempus from Thieves World

Godz of War I call Thee

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I could also see playing as Thorin Okenshield.. or any of the dwares from Lord of the Rings for that matter.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited June 2018
    Nyctelios said:
    This post made me realize that my favorite characters are actually powerless (or rely on wits).

So, I don't know. I mean, I would love to play as them but not in a setting where I have to deal with Thanos, Gallactus, Legion and so on =/
    Wit from The Stormlight Archive could be interesting. I'm pretty sure he's some kind of god though.

Kaladim is still my favorite though.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • nightraidernightraider Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Thanos.

Which ever one you want to go with, and any book, movie, or story I think would also work. But mainly the Marvel Universe Mad Titian.

Not a bad choice, but if you want to be a diety I'd go with Galactus. 
    Eh, Glactis is like bland.. "Oh look at me, I can eat worlds, I am damn near all powerful" the guy has the personality of a brick.

Thanos.. now.. he was a deep multifaceted character.. and insane.. and powerful.. who would not want to play that?
    While I agree Thanos is a far more interesting character, Galactus would pwn him if not for his game-breakingly overpowered gear advantage. Give any level 1 noob a fully upgraded infinity gauntlet and that noob would destroy Galactus too (assuming there is no stat or level requirement on it. In which case they could sell it and get rich... Unless the gauntlet is soulbound on pickup. If so, the poor noob is SOL until higher level and better start grinding).

...Of course these days everyone is pretty much handed godlike items such as an infinity gauntlet at endgame as a mere participation prize. "Rare" items seem to be handed out like candy in newer games.

As for me, I wouldn't choose a "god" as the basis of my character. Starting out overpowered is boring to me. However, if I'm asked "Are you a god?" I will always say "Yes".
    MadFrenchieUngood
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Walter Joseph Kovacs
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Thanos.

Which ever one you want to go with, and any book, movie, or story I think would also work. But mainly the Marvel Universe Mad Titian.

Eh, Glactis is like bland.. "Oh look at me, I can eat worlds, I am damn near all powerful" the guy has the personality of a brick.

Thanos.. now.. he was a deep multifaceted character.. and insane.. and powerful.. who would not want to play that?
    While I agree Thanos is a far more interesting character, Galactus would pwn him if not for his game-breakingly overpowered gear advantage. Give any level 1 noob a fully upgraded infinity gauntlet and that noob would destroy Galactus too (assuming there is no stat or level requirement on it. In which case they could sell it and get rich... Unless the gauntlet is soulbound on pickup. If so, the poor noob is SOL until higher level and better start grinding).

...Of course these days everyone is pretty much handed godlike items such as an infinity gauntlet at endgame as a mere participation prize. "Rare" items seem to be handed out like candy in newer games.

As for me, I wouldn't choose a "god" as the basis of my character. Starting out overpowered is boring to me. However, if I'm asked "Are you a god?" I will always say "Yes".
    Glad to see somebody learned from the trials and tribulations of the GhostBusters! ;)
    [Deleted User]

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Wizardry said:

There was more depth to him than that.

Doc was an educated, intelligent man who was able to control many situations with his wits.

He was medically trained (a dentist) and long before he learned to use a six gun, he was deadly proficient and savage with a knife.

Doc suffered from TB, which meant that his enemies feared his contagion (putting them off their game) whereas he often said he would welcome being put out of his misery. He was essentially fearless.

He used not only a pistol but also a shotgun.

And he had some pretty amazing friends for backup.
    [Deleted User]Ungood

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Thanos.

Well, if you look at Thanos, it's not his power that is attractive, it's not that glove that makes him who he is, after all, if you read the comic, it is the whole process he goes though to get the stones that really makes him shine, like an legendary journey that, I doubt even Galactus would have been able to do, as not only did he have to get the gems and get this power, he had to do it without people like Galactus and other 'Gods' spotting him and stopping him before he could complete it.

And even then, in the comic, he does not maintain possession of the glove for long (in the Movie, it seems as if he wrecked it), so that glove was never really what made him the powerhouse he was to start with. It was his vast multifaceted character, he was a planner, a schemer, brilliant, determined, like.. a successful Dr Doom.

He was a very deep character, his moves in some cases, did not even make sense, till you saw the whole picture come together. I mean, think about it, he even gave away a few of them, at least 1 to Loki, and 1 to Ronan.. so.. he was playing a vast game.. with many moves.. and he was in control of the board from the start.. even without the gems.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    All these characters.  No one has mentioned the best of the original SNL cast, the Mighty Favog.  Bow to his might.  Appease him with sacrifices.  Two chickens, minimum.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Pug from Riftwar but I'd be just as happy with Harry Dresden. If the game is heavily RNG based then I'd want to be Dirk Gently.
    Oh that's an awesome list. I'd add Gorath from Riftwar too. He was only a character in Betrayal at Krondor game (and book) which was a side story off of Riftwar so not a major player but Feist did good with him.

Haha, if it's heavily RNG then Dirk Gentlly. I just saw season 2 on Hulu.

CDPR, or maybe Ubisoft, needs to do a Dresden game series. When I search I only found a CCG based on the IP. How pathetically sad is that.
    I've been thinking of re-reading the Riftwar Saga. It's one of my favorite fantasy universes. I could have gone with Jimmy the Hand also... so many great characters.

And yes I wish someone would do the Harry Dresden novels justice - whether as games or TV series. The one attempt to do a TV series out of it was disgustingly bad.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED