Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mark Darrah Calls Mass Effect: Andromeda a 'Deeply Flawed' Game - Mass Effect: Andromeda - MMORPG.co

2»

Comments

• FrozenyearroundFrozenyearround Member UncommonPosts: 155
    It's tough to make a quality game when one of your lead designers is a racist prick.

The lead game designer, Ian Soon Frazier, commented on Twitter that they would investigate possibly patching in the ability to make fair-skinned whites and light-skinned Asians in Mass Effect: Andromeda, leading many people to believe that Manveer Heir may have had something to do with it.

At the same time, there were also reports that BioWare may have been filling their ranks with “diversity hires”, which is why the quality of the animation, character models and facial rigging was so low compared to previous games

Aeander
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    SBFord said:
    Honestly, after the way the post-release of MEA was handled, and its subsequent shelving, I have little to no interest whatsoever in Anthem. Every time I look at Anthem, I just see the MEA that might have been.
    And this is a perfect example of why we are here.

People were so focused on what Andromeda IS NOT that they completely missed what it IS.

Andromeda was not Mass Effect 4, it was Andromeda. Anthem is not a single player RPG, it is Anthem.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited June 2018
    Xiaoki said:
    SBFord said:
    Honestly, after the way the post-release of MEA was handled, and its subsequent shelving, I have little to no interest whatsoever in Anthem. Every time I look at Anthem, I just see the MEA that might have been.
    And this is a perfect example of why we are here.

People were so focused on what Andromeda IS NOT that they completely missed what it IS.

Andromeda was not Mass Effect 4, it was Andromeda. Anthem is not a single player RPG, it is Anthem.
    I really liked Andromeda, warts and all, though it should have had the same attention to quality that Anthem is getting but it never did. They shelved it rather than fix it. The first, and only, large update made HUGE improvements visually and they could have added to it over time. But with Anthem breathing down its neck, it was doomed.

As for Anthem, it's just not the type of game I want from BioWare or to play. I don't play Destiny for the same reasons.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    There is a common denominator here. If you look at multiple entertainment areas that are seeing a sharp decline like broadcast TV, movies (Star Wars), sports (nfl) and video games like ME:A they all had one thing in common. They were all trying to shove SJW crap down the consumers throat. If you want to push sjw crap that's fine but keep it out of entertainment because it fails every time.
    Get 'woke', go broke. Despite what their propaganda says, most people are fed up with this crap. The comics industry is also facing a huge backlash, as are CCGs are tabletop games. People play games to escape, not have a social or political ideology crammed down their throats. 
    FrozenyearroundAeanderSBFordwanderica

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Took less than two pages for people to trot out the SJW bullshit.

GG.
    AeanderSBFord[Deleted User]Iselinalkarionlog

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838

GG.
    I'm surprised it took more than 2 posts.
    MadFrenchieSBFord[Deleted User]alkarionlog

GG.
    Took less than two pages for people to defend the SJW bullshit. 
    AeanderMadFrenchieSBFordIselinalkarionlog

GG.
    Defend?  No, it was irrelevant.  You just need your boogeymen.  How ignorant.
    HuntrezzAeanderalkarionlog

edited June 2018

GG.
    No boogeyman just facts not my fault facts hurt your feelings.  

Nice of you three to run and pat yourselves on the head.  Face it the majority of people are sick of your SJW crap infesting entertainment.  If you want to run around looking like an idiot screaming whatever sjw hot topic is on the menu have fun at your next protest but keep it out of video games, TV and movies.  It's been proven when you dont the game, TV show or movie fail.
    AeanderMadFrenchiealkarionlog
  • HuntrezzHuntrezz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    I enjoyed MEA as well.  It wasn't the best game in the series but I had fun playing it.  I understand some of the criticism of the game but I also feel much of it was unfair and I saw lots of comments that made me scratch my head and ask if said person even played the game or went along with the others to be in the majority.   
    SBFord
    Huntrezz said:
    I enjoyed MEA as well.  It wasn't the best game in the series but I had fun playing it.  I understand some of the criticism of the game but I also feel much of it was unfair and I saw lots of comments that made me scratch my head and ask if said person even played the game or went along with the others to be in the majority.   
    Bandwagon jumping was strong with MEA. People who never played it castigated the game for tons of reasons without actually having an informed opinion. Experiential learning is the only type I pay attention to, not the loudest screamers.
    Huntrezz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited June 2018

GG.

Nice of you three to run and pat yourselves on the head.  Face it the majority of people are sick of your SJW crap infesting entertainment.  If you want to run around looking like an idiot screaming whatever sjw hot topic is on the menu have fun at your next protest but keep it out of video games, TV and movies.  It's been proven when you dont the game, TV show or movie fail.
    My SJW crap?  Quit being stupid.

Your ignorance was the same directed at Deadfire, yet the game was universally acclaimed and sold extremely well.  It's almost as if, *gasp*, the reception of these games WEREN'T based on some boogeymen you ignorantly throw around and, instead, on quality factors like animations and other normal considerations!
    [Deleted User]Aeanderalkarionlog

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838

GG.

You ignorance was the same directed at Deadfire, yet the game was universally acclaimed and sold extremely well.  It's almost as if, *gasp*, the reception of these games WEREN'T based on some boogeymen you ignorantly throw around and, instead, on quality factors like animations and other normal considerations!
    And it is telling that he opened up with an actual boldfaced lie. Andromeda has white and fair skinned options. It had them at release. I picked up a copy several days after release and had no issues whatsoever in making my character as pasty a white man as myself.

(Did that character look as good as I'd wanted? No, because Andromeda's character creation is a dumpster fire. But he was white). 

And all of this is of course ignoring that the default Ryders are fair-skinned white people. If Manveer Heir was actively removing white people from the game, he did a fucking shit job of it.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]wanderica
    edited June 2018

GG.

You ignorance was the same directed at Deadfire, yet the game was universally acclaimed and sold extremely well.  It's almost as if, *gasp*, the reception of these games WEREN'T based on some boogeymen you ignorantly throw around and, instead, on quality factors like animations and other normal considerations!
    First if you are going to call someone ignorant your first two words should probably be correct.  "You ignorance"?  You lost right there.  

Second manveer was a racist prick and his sjw touch was all over ME:A.  

Third it's common knowledge EA/BW filled their "divinity quota" when hiring for ME:A this is why their quality and animation were subpar.  They didn't hire the most qualified people they went the sjw route.  

The sjw crap in video games, sports, TV and movies is not a boogeyman open your eyes pal.  I'm sure you enjoy this crap being shoved down people throat though you seem like the person willing to spew the sjw crap in global chat.  
    Aeander
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    One thing I disagree with Mark Darrah was his assertion that the timeframe of ME:A release was what resulted in a low metascore. He mentioned that a lot of good games that did some things better were released at the same time, games like Zelda for example.

I think he's mistaken in two counts.

First of all, on the relevance of metacritics on anything besides a number developers like to put on their boxes. As far as gamers and consumers go, metacritics score is completely irrelevant. Noone goes and looks at that score and decides to buy or not a game, people just completely disregard it. Steam player review score however, that's a completely different ball game and a deal breaker if games have a mixed or worse review count.

The second is on the relevance of ME:A release window in relation to the other games that released at the same time. ME:A did not compete with any of those games, nor it was received badly because of them. What affected ME:A most were primarily the legacy of the previous titles and the release of Witcher 3. Then again, the ME game was the main reason the game sold as many copies as it did. A strong IP facilitates sales, even on products that are not directly related to that IP.
    edited June 2018
    Aeander said:

GG.

And it is telling that he opened up with an actual boldfaced lie. Andromeda has white and fair skinned options. It had them at release. I picked up a copy several days after release and had no issues whatsoever in making my character as pasty a white man as myself.

(Did that character look as good as I'd wanted? No, because Andromeda's character creation is a dumpster fire. But he was white). 

And all of this is of course ignoring that the default Ryders are fair-skinned white people. If Manveer Heir was actively removing white people from the game, he did a fucking shit job of it.
    It's sad you will defend a racist like this.  Not that I'm surprised by a SJW protector like yourself.  Here is who you are trying to defend.

It's not a lie bud.  The lead designer stated they were going to fix it.  If it wasn't an issue what were they fixing? 

https://archive.is/cagZS

Yes, white person, please tell me MORE about how race works. I'll just sit here and listen attentively

https://archive.is/bOH42

Thanks for filling my cup tonight Stephen Harper (white tears image)

https://archive.is/hnz3l

LRT: More #whitefoolishness. Racism is a thing that totally hampers white lives! HOW HAVE I IGNORED THE PLIGHT OF THE WHITE MAN FOR SO LONG

https://archive.is/37HYG

"Prejudice against white people" can't be a serious thing you are claiming. They don't even approach the same league awfulness.

https://archive.is/Uq1N5

Three links on why minorities making white people jokes isn't racist

https://archive.is/8il1s

White people telling me how they are color-blind to race remains hilarious. Oh yes, please tell me how you don't notice color more!

https://archive.is/NSkFz

White people not understanding why racists things are racist: A tradition unlike any other #dontsuemejimnantz

https://archive.is/MwWAw

LRT: "The arrogance of white people faced with questions of race is unbelievable." #yup

https://archive.is/0ogNT

White men hate being blocked on Twitter because it's the first time in their sad lives they've encountered someone not forced to listen

https://archive.is/efA1g

Some people think America's past-time is baseball, but it's actually protecting white fragility

https://archive.is/3wfPY

"The entire discussion of race in America centers around the protection of White feelings."

Some more that I found:

https://archive.is/XN3mW

No, my life every single day is already a documentary named "White People", I don't really need to see more white tears

https://archive.is/Dn103

Oh boy I can't wait to hear which white woman ends up on the $10 bill! I'm thinking Betsy Ross. White folks love her flag making ass.

https://archive.is/m8EHW

Congrats Blackhawks. But white people remember not to riot tonight. Hahaha just joking we all know white people don't riot, they "celebrate"

https://archive.is/FaCX5

White people, I am not here to make you feel comfortable or okay with yourself or the white supremacy you benefit from.

https://archive.is/VRc9b

I got 99 problems but worrying that white people think I'm racist against white people ain't one HIT ME

https://archive.is/dTbpk

God dammit white people (talking about Fuller House)

https://archive.is/MUsUV

"A white woman can live underground for 15 yrs & when she emerges she'll still be white. That's really all you need to make it in the world"

https://archive.is/1vI4D

This Vine makes me want to start a tumblr titled White People Having Tantrums

https://archive.is/wmmxs

I'm officially following 1000 people now. I think I'm going to spend part of today clearing out who I follow, specifically white men

[Deleted User]Aeander
    edited June 2018

GG.

First if you are going to call someone ignorant your first two words should probably be correct.  "You ignorance"?  You lost right there.  

Second manveer was a racist prick and his sjw touch was all over ME:A.  

Third it's common knowledge EA/BW filled their "divinity quota" when hiring for ME:A this is why their quality and animation were subpar.  They didn't hire the most qualified people they went the sjw route.  

The sjw crap in video games, sports, TV and movies is not a boogeyman open your eyes pal.  I'm sure you enjoy this crap being shoved down people throat though you seem like the person willing to spew the sjw crap in global chat.  
    Oh boy, trying to equate a typo with scapegoating an ideology you fear.  Does not compute.

Next two paragraphs are irrelevant bullshit.

The last is just you bitching and making false assumptions about my personal ideology because I don't allow you to speak your ignorance unchecked.  Boohoo.
    alkarionlog

Image result for andromeda default ryder

Man, why can't you make a white guy in Andromeda?!?!?!
    Aeanderalkarionlog

OK, sadly, the conversation took a turn to the political. Too bad. It was going pretty well there for a while. /closing
    [Deleted User]AeanderHuntrezz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

This discussion has been closed.