Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New computer time

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    At the moment, I'm thinking that the Windows 10 problem might be one of trying to install the original version of it and rely on Windows Update to do about three years of patches all at once.  Windows Update doesn't always like trying to patch too far at once.  It looks like Microsoft has a tool to let you create a new installation USB stick and install the latest version directly, so I'm going to try that.

My best guess on the speaker problem is that it's dust getting in and interfering with the connection.  There certainly was a lot of dust back there.  The speakers seem to work fine this morning.
    Phry
    Well, I've got it working.  Mostly.  It's still the case that nothing can recognize the existence of the M.2 SSD.  But other than that, it works.

I used an the old SATA SSD to install Windows that I bought for the new computer three years ago.  The old speakers work with the new computer, too.

Apparently Eyefinity didn't work with the latest 18.8.1 AMD GPU drivers, but it did work with the older 18.5 drivers.  The moral of the story is not to fuss with beta drivers unless you have to.

I'm pretty sure that I was right about last night's problem being a bad Windows installation.  The moral of the story is, don't reuse old Windows installation media and then rely on Windows Update.  If you're going to do a clean install, go to Microsoft's site, get the media creation tool, and install the latest version with all the patches already applied directly.
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    I just checked again, but on my motherboard if the M.2 spot was installed it would turn of one of my PCI slots.  I wonder if your MB turns of the M.2 slot if a device is plugged into a specific PCI slot. 

I suspect you checked this already, but in case you did not. 
    [Deleted User]

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

MMOman101 said:
    I just checked again, but on my motherboard if the M.2 spot was installed it would turn of one of my PCI slots.  I wonder if your MB turns of the M.2 slot if a device is plugged into a specific PCI slot. 

While I haven't empirically tested that, it really shouldn't be the case.  The only PCI Express slot with anything in it is the one with the dedicated x16 connection to the CPU.  The video card pretty much has to go in that slot as it's the only way to get full bandwidth.  For that to be shared with something else other than another PCI Express slot (e.g., to allow x8/x8 rather than a single x16) would be creatively awful design.

Additionally, there are two M.2 slots on my motherboard.  One has a dedicated x4 connection to the CPU.  The other uses an x2 connection split off of the chipset.  The design of the Ryzen CPUs is such that there is a dedicated x4 connection coming off of the CPU socket intended to be used for an M.2 SSD.  It would be astoundingly awful design for that to be shared with anything.  The other M.2 slot might well have some shared bandwidth somewhere, but again, I'm not using any PCI express slots other than the one for the video card.
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Quizzical said:
    MMOman101 said:

While I haven't empirically tested that, it really shouldn't be the case.  The only PCI Express slot with anything in it is the one with the dedicated x16 connection to the CPU.  The video card pretty much has to go in that slot as it's the only way to get full bandwidth.  For that to be shared with something else other than another PCI Express slot (e.g., to allow x8/x8 rather than a single x16) would be creatively awful design.

Additionally, there are two M.2 slots on my motherboard.  One has a dedicated x4 connection to the CPU.  The other uses an x2 connection split off of the chipset.  The design of the Ryzen CPUs is such that there is a dedicated x4 connection coming off of the CPU socket intended to be used for an M.2 SSD.  It would be astoundingly awful design for that to be shared with anything.  The other M.2 slot might well have some shared bandwidth somewhere, but again, I'm not using any PCI express slots other than the one for the video card.
    My mother board does not share the x16, it shares the x4.  I was not sure if you had any other cards in your system.  If you only have a video card int the x16 slot I can't imagine it would be an issue. 
    [Deleted User]

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    t0nyd said:
    I always put the heatsink on before mounting the mobo. Back in the day you could never trust the backplate to line up with the cutout.

I don’t fault you on this, but I would hate to try it on something like an Asrock. Most decent HSF or WBs weigh a good bit, and those boards are flimsy like cardboard.
    [Deleted User]