Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mmorpg.com doing pop-ups now?

DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
edited June 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
So is anyone else getting pop-up adds here on MMORPG.com now?  Just had one, almost a full screen sized add from comcast/xfinity.  Could be I have some adware/malware I guess but I havent gotten these anywhere else.  I won't be following any site that allows popups, so I hope this is not something new intentionally added by the staff here.

Edit, discovered what it is... certain ads here do pop ups if your mouse hovers over it too long, whether or not you click.  Only one confirmed is the xfinity one...  Not a true pop up but I despise and distrust anything that pops up or executes any script without clicking.  You're not gaining anything by doing stuff like this, and only irritating people.  If people want to click they will click.  Please stop this crap...

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited June 2018
    I'll make sure the powers that be see your post. Chances are that it's the ad carrier NOT something we've done.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    Thanks Suzie!
    SBFord
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Wait, are you still using a browser that doesn't block popups by default? I didn't even know that was an option anymore. 
    bartoni33PhryOctagon7711[Deleted User]Loke666TatsuyaHiroki
    edited June 2018
    I'm using chrome, and don't get popups anywhere else.  Here it seems to be only that particular ad.  Regardless, you shouldn't have to block them.  
    [Deleted User]
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Wait, are you still using a browser that doesn't block popups by default? I didn't even know that was an option anymore. 
    I use Firefox with Ghostery, ABP and uMatrix and I don't see anything that I don't choose to see.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

edited June 2018
    bartoni33 said:
    I use Firefox with Ghostery, ABP and uMatrix and I don't see anything that I don't choose to see.
    Unless they have already taken it down, cycle the site a few times with f5 and see if your blockers catch the xfinity ad.  On mouseover it starts a little progress bar that says "expanding" and pops up when progress bar is full.  Not as bad as a true pop-up but i'm interested to see if your blockers catch it. 

The add appeared to the right of the recent posts on the main home page for me.  Havent seen it in a little while.
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Dvora said:
    bartoni33 said:
    Unless they have already taken it down, cycle the site a few times with f5 and see if your blockers catch the xfinity ad.  On mouseover it starts a little progress bar that says "expanding" and pops up when progress bar is full.  Not as bad as a true pop-up but i'm interested to see if your blockers catch it. 

The add appeared to the right of the recent posts on the main home page for me.  Havent seen it in a little while.
    No ad's at all other than the giant Maple Story one. Ghostery is blocking 5 trackers, ABP is blocking 5 of something (doesn't tell what it is) and uMatrix is blocking 13 sites (I don't know what they do but I don't want them connecting to me).

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I see only Mapel Story too.
    Chamber of Chains
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    no pop ups here maybe its something on ur comp
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    That sounds like a malicious ad that resizes itself to rearrange the page, not a true pop-up.

I have a Comcast/Xfinity ad now and tried mousing over it, but nothing happened.  Also, the ad is probably in Spanish and definitely not English, for no discernible reason.  Not that otherwise inert ads bother me just because of a foreign language, but I think the advertiser is wasting its money.
    [Deleted User]
    OG_Zorvan said:
    This site has ads?

Yes, and people who are willing to support the site don't block them because they're careful to keep them tame and nix malicious ad networks when they show up.
    SBFordIselin[Deleted User][Deleted User]Cazriel[Deleted User]Gorwe
    Not all web site ads are equivalent.  I have an ad blocker (two actually:  the one built into Opera and a separate thing to block auto-play videos), but that doesn't mean that I try to block all ads.

The business model that many web sites have come up with is that they give away content for free and then make money by displaying ads.  If you block the ads, they don't get any money.  If everyone blocked all ads, that model would completely collapse and most major web sites would have to shut down unless someone was willing to pay a bunch of money to keep them running.

Some sites are responsible about displaying ads, including this one.  They'll show ads because they need money, but try to keep them tame enough that the site still works if you don't block the ads.  If they're going to go to all of that work to provide content that I like for free while making it easy for them to make a little money off of me, then I want them to make that money because I want the site to keep running.

And some sites aren't responsible about displaying ads, whether due to auto-play videos with audio, giant ads that move around and hide the site's content, cryptojacking severe enough to lock up your browser, or allowing ads that auto-forward you away from the site you were trying to view.  I absolutely do block ads on sites like that, as the site basically doesn't even work if you don't.  And in many cases, just stop visiting the site altogether.  If sites that are reckless about ads have to shut down for lack of revenue, that's no loss; maybe it would encourage other sites to be more responsible about displaying ads.

If you want to block ads on the latter type of site, go right ahead.  But don't be a freeloader on the more responsible sites just because some clickbait sites don't care what they do to your computer.  Finding another business model isn't necessarily practical.  Would you really be willing to pay $1/month for access to every site you visit even occasionally?  Most people wouldn't, as that could easily run into the hundreds of dollars per month.  That's why that sort of business model wouldn't work for most sites.  Besides, I don't want a future in which I can only see a handful of sites (excluding those that exist to sell products, which have their own viable business model) because I'd have to pay separately for each site that I visit, even if I only spend five minutes per year reading an occasional article there.
    Quizzical said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    This site has ads?

Yes, and people who are willing to support the site don't block them because they're careful to keep them tame and nix malicious ad networks when they show up.
    I don't block normal ads here, but I definitely block any popups.

Are there still browsers left which don't automatically block popups ???
    I'm all in favor of narrowly targeted ad-blockers that only block certain types of ads that are pretty much malicious by definition.  As you pointed out, most browsers will block pop-ups by default.  I've also got an add-on to block auto-play videos.  Such narrowly targeted things don't affect sites that don't try to serve malicious ads.

What I'm against is people trying to systematically block all ads, including simple pictures without audio that don't affect the site's functionality.
    [Deleted User]
    neyla12 said:
    A new revenue model based on micropayments will be much more convenient for people like me. Give me a simple option to make a micropayment to view the content and I will gladly pay for it to support the site / content creator.
    How did you just post that and still have 0 posts and 0 visits to this site?
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I haven't seen any pop-ups.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Sounds like a Flyout Ad to me, it is not a pop-up in the traditional sense. It's not a new window, just a hover function that displays an element on the page blown up. 
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited June 2018
    Does this site also have links to information harvesting sites?  Ads are one thing but info harvesting are another.

All this makes me wonder how much of our bandwidth is actually used by businesses in general.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Using Chrome and no pop-ups here. But after accepting cookies site keeps asking again and again if I want to accept or not. This started a few days ago.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Dvora said:
    I'm using chrome, and don't get popups anywhere else.  Here it seems to be only that particular ad.  Regardless, you shouldn't have to block them.  
    Popups? They are terrible annoying and should always be blocked in my opinion.

Regular adds can be a bit annoying when you get too many at once and I do use an addblocker at some sites (not this one) that annoys me too much. Sites do need income like everyone else but when you get more add then the actual site they desrve a block.

But in the late 90s you could sometimes get 20 or more popups at the same time and I hated them ever since. Just set your browser to block them, nothing good ever comes from a popup.
  • TatsuyaHirokiTatsuyaHiroki Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Thank god for Ublock Origins, the internet browsing is a nightmare without i

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Quizzical said:

The business model that many web sites have come up with is that they give away content for free and then make money by displaying ads.  If you block the ads, they don't get any money.  If everyone blocked all ads, that model would completely collapse and most major web sites would have to shut down unless someone was willing to pay a bunch of money to keep them running.

The beauty is that not everyone blocks. So i can. And if this place goes down, there are plenty of other entertainment out there.