Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People spending big money for Fortnite crap on ebay?

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,166
edited June 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

Comments

• Riotact007Riotact007 Member UncommonPosts: 246
    I think us 'normal' gamers would be surprised at the amount of money people spend in games. My old guild leader in Archeage spent $3500 US to get a pirate ship lol. Just look at all the crap that people throw money at on kick starter too.
    [Deleted User]rojoArcueidTillerZoeMcCloskeyKrematoryGorwePhryTruvidien88dreamsfade
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Ohh, want to know what games and what sells for? take a peek at playerauctions.com its amazing what things in games that we won't be playing in a few years will sell for.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    When I was a teenager yet.   One of my buddies instead of working a part time job, instead worked their way up raid tiers in WoW.   Then sold their account usually to their guild leader for $1,000USD to $4,000USD.

This was over 10 years ago, and gamers have been well trained to pay more for stuff now.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    It's dumb but no dumber than my friends who spend thousands on a stupid handbag.
    Chamber of Chains
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    What depresses me about this article is i have been gaming for over 20 years and have nothing in the virtual world to sell  :/
    TillerKyleranmklinicGorweAlBQuirkyLazarus71
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Actually, it may be worse than the handbag because they own the bag. Players do not own things in an mmo. When it shutsdown, that $3500 pirate ship is going by bye.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    I think us 'normal' gamers would be surprised at the amount of money people spend in games. My old guild leader in Archeage spent $3500 US to get a pirate ship lol. Just look at all the crap that people throw money at on kick starter too.
    Tell Steven hello for us.  ;)
    Slapshot1188Eldurian

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” ― George Carlin
    George would have had a field day with the antics of modern online gaming.
    [Deleted User]PhryAlBQuirky

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

thunderC said:
    What depresses me about this article is i have been gaming for over 20 years and have nothing in the virtual world to sell  :/
    I have some EVE accounts that likely could fetch a fair price, but I'd be reluctant to part with them.

But hey, if anyone wants to offer over $10K each I'll definitely give it some consideration.

B)
    PhryAlBQuirky

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    thunderC said:

Kyleran said:
    thunderC said:
    I have some EVE accounts that likely could fetch a fair price, but I'd be reluctant to part with them.

But hey, if anyone wants to offer over $10K each I'll definitely give it some consideration.

B)

This is an interesting aspect of virtual goods, we buy but do not sell. Now take real world clothing, at least you would get rid of it, but people do have an attraction to things they once wore even if they know they will never buy them again.

This issue online is even bigger, if you don't chuck RW clothes they will eventfully spill out of the closet, not so for virtual goods. But there is a shift towards more selling of virtual goods online.

Also people buy things as an "investment", most of what my gf's have bought seem to come under that category. But seriously women used to think of jewellery as an investment, I am not sure they do now. One difference with virtual goods, even if your jewellery had depreciated in price you could sell it back, not so for virtual goods.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    This is why we have microtransactions. They developers just wanted their cut.  Want gold buy it from us not gold sellers.  Want to be powerleveled buy our level upgrade.
    QuizzicalGorwe
  • jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
    I've seen people drop easily $250-$300 for one night going to a baseball or football game and the average person would say that's ok.  But you say you dropped $100 for credits in your favorite MMO and people say you have a problem.   
    PhryAlBQuirkyforcelima
    jahlon said:
    I've seen people drop easily $250-$300 for one night going to a baseball or football game and the average person would say that's ok.  But you say you dropped $100 for credits in your favorite MMO and people say you have a problem.   
    The arcade was the first gaming micro transaction.  It was easy to spend some serious money in there.
    AlBQuirkyGaendric
  • VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632
    I'm not going to lie.  I've spent ALOT of money on virtual items throughout the years.  You can call it "wasted" if you want.  That's fine, and your opinion.  However, with the amount of joy I've had with those items, I would consider it equal to going to the theater, or a weekend vacation.  

It is all money wasted at the end of the day.  What matters is what enjoyment you received from it.  Virtual worlds (games) can have everlasting memories for us.  It's no different than going on a trip and taking pictures.  
    GorweAlBQuirkyGaendric
    This is why we have microtransactions. They developers just wanted their cut.  Want gold buy it from us not gold sellers.  Want to be powerleveled buy our level upgrade.
    Want to sell drugs to sportsmen? Lets make sure the Athletics committees get their cut. Just because the devs profit does not make game breaking software the right way to do anything.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Scot said:
    Want to sell drugs to sportsmen? Lets make sure the Athletics committees get their cut. Just because the devs profit does not make game breaking software the right way to do anything.
    May be one day the race will be who used the best drugs . Currently it is the most undetectable one. Isn't it a horrific future to look forward to?
    KyleranScotGorweAlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I'm not surprised at all. Epic Games made $300 million last month alone. What I don't understand is why you would spend all that money that will likely be out in another 3 months again (it was a Halloween skin).
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    My wife bought some stupid Louis vitton bag for $800
    JeffSpicoli
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    Yes, handbags are the kryptonite for the female members of the western world.

I'm not sure they realize its all part of the conspiracy by male fashion designers to keep them impoverished and unable to challenge a outnumbered but still male dominated society.

Keep them so busy buying stuff they won't realize they could vote us all right out of office.  (Or kill us while we sleep)

All part of the plan, working perfectly.

;)
    ScotAlBQuirkyVermillion_Raventhalforcelima

But you know that's an investment right? Everything they buy is an investment. :)
    AlBQuirkyKumaponVermillion_Raventhalforcelima
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Gorwe said:
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” ― George Carlin
    "There's a sucker born every minute" P.T.Barnum
    I think this rate has gone up since P.T. uttered those words ;)

Still, this pales when compared to what people are spending in a game not even released yet, Star Citizen. And all it is, is pixels. Data on a computer. It will become obsolete in a decade or two.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    jahlon said:
    I understand your point, but one of described activities happened "in the real world" and the other was enjoyed inside, sitting at a computer, in a "make believe world."

Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion. I share your enjoyment of that "make believe world." But one expenditure is "tangible" and the other is not. Just lights and colors on a monitor.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited June 2018
    Scot said:
    Apples and oranges. The reason that steroids are illegal is the incredible harm they do to athletes. If they were allowed, you would need to destroy your body in order to compete. Because they are not, people can compete just using exercise and a healthy diet to get in top shape. Swiping isn't going to make your liver shut down.

In terms of games. I don't really see the purity in using 10k hours of playtime over 10k$ in order to achieve your incredibly strong character who can one shot everything without effort. I'd much prefer MMOs move more in the direction of successful competitive games and make victory based on, imagine this who the better player is! 
    Eldurian said:
    Scot said:
    Apples and oranges. The reason that steroids are illegal is the incredible harm they do to athletes. If they were allowed, you would need to destroy your body in order to compete. Because they are not, people can compete just using exercise and a healthy diet to get in top shape. Swiping isn't going to make your liver shut down.

In terms of games. I don't really see the purity in using 10k hours of playtime over 10k$ in order to achieve your incredibly strong character who can one shot everything without effort. I'd much prefer MMOs move more in the direction of successful competitive games and make victory based on, imagine this who the better player is! 
    I agree with you, but we don't have a multiplayer gaming world that puts player skill and intelligence to the fore. The key to such a competitive gaming world is a fair playing field, I should say that will not suit every game, but it is an ideal to work to. Until then I am quite happy with those who put more time in reaping the benefits and cannot see how this can be compared to buying a win.
    VestigeGamer
    Eldurian said:
    Scot said:

Can't fault those who play more.  That's what games are supposed to be about.  

The fallacy of the time verse money argument is that those who spend hardcore probably play hardcore minutes.  Just like there are not likely many casual steriod users.