Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks like the WOW killer has finally arrived?

Comments

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    edited June 2018
    Well... Hm... They ruined DK for me back in the day (how about some heartstrike spamming, kids?!) so... Nope, it's not just this expansion that is changing things and people don't like.

I love 2 things about WoW community/discussions, though: 1 - Someone will bring an outdated players count to validate them enjoying the game for some reason and 2 - people seems to be eager to forget the entire company name for some reason... Idk... Activision Blizzard
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,051
    Nyctelios said:
    Well... Hm... They ruined DK for me back in the day (how about some heartstrike spamming, kids?!) so... Nope, it's not just this expansion that is changing things and people don't like.

I love 2 things about WoW community/discussions, though: 1 - Someone will bring an outdated players count to validate them enjoying the game for some reason and 2 - people seems to be eager to forget the entire company name for some reason... Idk... Activision Blizzard
    I prefer to call them ActiBli$$. :)
  • DatastarDatastar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Honestly everything they have done since wotlk ended has been leading to one thing and one thing only...get ready for... Console Launch of WoW... count me out.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member RarePosts: 4,303
    btdt said:
    Blizzard already knows this is a dud... they've started talking about classic more and they have tried every gambit they can think of to boost pre-sales as much as possible.  Anyone that tries too hard to get you to buy something early is trying to hide something from you.

And remember, the devs said many classes won't be addressed until the first patch gets released...
    this baby is half-baked and they know it.  But lucky for them, the bulk of the WoW player base would continue to pay a sub irregardless of what state the game is in.  Which is why WoW isn't going to die any time soon. 
    I'm not buying BfA - but it's crazy to say they are hiding things.  They allow people to play the beta on Twitch for crying out loud.
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    edited June 2018
    btdt said:
    Blizzard already knows this is a dud... they've started talking about classic more and they have tried every gambit they can think of to boost pre-sales as much as possible.  Anyone that tries too hard to get you to buy something early is trying to hide something from you.

And remember, the devs said many classes won't be addressed until the first patch gets released...
    this baby is half-baked and they know it.  But lucky for them, the bulk of the WoW player base would continue to pay a sub irregardless of what state the game is in.  Which is why WoW isn't going to die any time soon. 
    I'm not buying BfA - but it's crazy to say they are hiding things.  They allow people to play the beta on Twitch for crying out loud.
    Well, when I watched streams from JesseCox and WoWCrendor and it was more like a controlled trial than anything else. The content was limited and most quests had no cutscene (it was clear they had cutscene but was removed to avoid spoilers maybe).

Idk how it is now.
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • k61977k61977 Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I've been in Alpha and Beta.  I've tried the tank specs for Pally, Death Knight, Monk, Druid & Demon Hunter (I prefer to tank).  They all feel weaker than in Legion (my opinion).  Last week I copied my character to the Public Test Realm.  I was shocked to see how weak my main, a Demon Hunter Tank, was on the tanking target dummy.  I'd estimate I lost more than half my survivability. I don't think people realize just how much we are losing in BFA with the removal of the artifact weapons.  Maybe it's just me, but I have this nagging feeling that Battle for Azeroth will be in the same category as Warlords of Draenor.  The faction conflict feels forced.  We just literally saved the universe and now we're back to bickering with faction conflict?  Feels jarring, forced, and desperate (my opinion).  I hope I'm wrong.  I've played and raided all the expansions since Burning Crusades, so I hope the expansion is great.  I just can't shake that nagging feeling that it won't be...I hope we can come back to this thread in a few years and see how silly these worries are.
    Played in them also and you are right that tanks are weaker.  I really think they are trying to get away from the mess they created where the tanks didn't need to worry at all.  I ran many mythics in Legion and didn't even need a healer on my pally, just pull and AoE them down.  That is boring as hell.  Kinda glad to see tanks becoming weaker myself.  Feels like they really want to go back to having to actually think before pulls and the healer actually having to heal again.  Haven't touched it in about a month now because was taking a break from it myself so don't know about any changes in that time. 

The only real issue I can see with tanks from my time is a taunt GCD issue where if you have a oh crap moment someone is going to die, but that was the way it was when WoW launched to be honest.  Got the feeling we are going to see a lot of dps going back to blaming the tanks and healers because they don't target the tanks target or watch their aggro also.  You know DPS never does anything wrong.
    KalebGrayson
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,119
    Sorry but WoW is just a massive faceroll these days and anything that makes it harder, like the GCD changes, is a good thing in my opinion.
    k61977SedrynTyros[Deleted User]Zorgo
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,837
    Albatroes said:
    thunderC said:
    In my opinion this current WOW dev team needs to go, not a fan of where they are taking the game, I was also very disappointed checking out the class changes last night. 
    Honestly, I'm with you on the current team, or at least its leadership/sub-leadership. What really concerned me about the team was in WoD before it even began, was their simple arrogance 'ensuring people will love Ashran' yet it flopped. They compared garrisons to content like your farm (wrong). On top of this, they simply do not listen to feed back (they didn't make changes to issues known in legion's alpha/beta until half way throw legion's release). The best idea that thousands of people have told their team on the forums with regards to how to deal with titanforging, either bring back valor points and allow us to upgrade to titanforge stage or obliterate raid gear and let us use the points to push the upgrade similar to how obliterating pvp gear gives pvp currency to buy direct gear. But nope, still gonna have the same shyte in legion just 'occuring less often' KNOWING people hate the current system. The current team is way too arrogant and needs a lot of changing. Worse than ghostcrawler imo.
    You nailed it, it truly is there biggest problem right now, they simply don't listen to the community. The arrogance of the current dev team is unbelievable , and when i say "devs" im talking about the head honcho's who you see on Q & A panels and what not, The devs doing the art assets and music ect ect they are doing a great job.  
    SBFord
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,216
    "I don't think I can remember a expansion where people have complained so much about the Class Changes"

Have you played WoW before? Every single expansion has everyone complaining about class changes. Ever since BC even. Actually scratch that. Every PATCH has people complaining about class changes. Any time a class changes people get upset, it doesn't matter if it's good, bad, or indifferent, people will find a reason to be mad. 

This won't kill WoW. WoW will just slowly die over time on it's own. Plenty of other big games have shown that, even with bad expansions or patches, people are too invested to quit usually. 
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member RarePosts: 2,664
    yeah, only people who cares about a wow killer is people who still plays it
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 831
    I was actually excited to hear about the factions getting back to the Horde vs. Alliance strife. One of my friends mentioned the possibility of them creating a third faction? Would that bring more races, and maybe some new classes?

Gotta roll one of each for the three months I sub, and then I'll get burned out playing alone as all my now-l33t raiding friends are off doing that. I told them raiding leads to no good, and nothing but drama, and I've been proven right by the years and guild closures!

Damn raiders.....

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Wow was dead to me after 5 minutes  'gameplay' with global cool down BS and some level 50 retard following me around constantly trying to duel me. To be fair it was lucky I got that far because the character models in character creation were a total and utter joke.
    I think it was 2010 I tried it because it must be great because of all the players that loved it even though I hated the cartoon graphics whenever I saw the game. I should of trusted my judgement.While i'm bitching like a school child I may as well say that 'wow classic' is the biggest misnomer in the history of MMORPG. Well maybe apart from BDO being a sandbox /laugh

• XiaokiXiaoki Member RarePosts: 3,232
    Oh look, another "this expansion is going to kill WoW because ....reasons" post.

How long have we been seeing these posts? Oh, yeah, since Burning Crusade.

Now, on to the eventual "I quit BFA after a week and this time for good" posts and "this will be the expansion that finally kills WoW for super serious this time" 2 years from now.

• KabulozoKabulozo Member UncommonPosts: 882
    edited June 2018
    Xiaoki said:
    Oh look, another "this expansion is going to kill WoW because ....reasons" post.

Now, on to the eventual "I quit BFA after a week and this time for good" posts and "this will be the expansion that finally kills WoW for super serious this time" 2 years from now.

WoW will never regain 10 million subscriber mark ever again. Third part estimates for WoW sub numbers are pointing 5 to 5.19 million subs right now. And it's set to cotinuously lose subs slowly over the years. 

Most of the WoW realms have been on low population for quite a while, no idea why they don't have plans for merges.

No idea how classic release will impact numbers though.
    Reyone1
  • Reyone1Reyone1 Member CommonPosts: 8
    rush1984 said:
    wow dies for me with the end of wotlk , it seems every expansion since tbc gets worst and worst.

i'm truly looking forward to classic wow, i still play games with 3 of my "vanilla" friends i made in classic, we are going to make a guild and website just like the old days and play the shit out of vanilla all over again, it couldnt come soon enough imo.
    I've lost hope in any other mmorpg taking my interest, i have about 50 different accounts for various mmorpgs that have failed to live up to the hype, bless online being the last straw.

I just hope blizz dont mess this up 

Wow died for me at the end of WOTLK. I feel like everything since then has been dumbing down the classes beyond recognition and with every expansion it gets worse.
    Where I fail is to understand this hype about vanilla servers. The moment that news let out that there would be zero progression coming to this vanilla servers another piece of me that held out hope for this game died.
    I don't know how many people remember Vanilla WOW but IMO it bad. I can't wait to see what happens when drums of war hits live servers and everyone simply ignores these servers just like blizzard seems to ignore the right tactics to implement to keep this game from fading into the background.
    I should have known better though, we all should have by now. Yes, they are giving us vanilla but you will run the same content over and over again because that's what blizzard wants. They want you playing the game in its upcoming current state and that's that.
    I thought Blizzard was finally making a move to appease their player base but I was wrong.... again. I give it less than 3 months into release before those vanilla servers that everyone has rallied for are ghost towns. Everyone has said it, some how wavered but in the end, the real WOW killer will be Blizzard with no shame for it.
    Everything the light touches is our kingdom.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    edited July 2018
    Reyone1 said:
    rush1984 said:
    wow dies for me with the end of wotlk , it seems every expansion since tbc gets worst and worst.

i'm truly looking forward to classic wow, i still play games with 3 of my "vanilla" friends i made in classic, we are going to make a guild and website just like the old days and play the shit out of vanilla all over again, it couldnt come soon enough imo.
    I've lost hope in any other mmorpg taking my interest, i have about 50 different accounts for various mmorpgs that have failed to live up to the hype, bless online being the last straw.

Wow died for me at the end of WOTLK. I feel like everything since then has been dumbing down the classes beyond recognition and with every expansion it gets worse.
    Where I fail is to understand this hype about vanilla servers. The moment that news let out that there would be zero progression coming to this vanilla servers another piece of me that held out hope for this game died.
    I don't know how many people remember Vanilla WOW but IMO it bad. I can't wait to see what happens when drums of war hits live servers and everyone simply ignores these servers just like blizzard seems to ignore the right tactics to implement to keep this game from fading into the background.
    I should have known better though, we all should have by now. Yes, they are giving us vanilla but you will run the same content over and over again because that's what blizzard wants. They want you playing the game in its upcoming current state and that's that.
    I thought Blizzard was finally making a move to appease their player base but I was wrong.... again. I give it less than 3 months into release before those vanilla servers that everyone has rallied for are ghost towns. Everyone has said it, some how wavered but in the end, the real WOW killer will be Blizzard with no shame for it.
    Many folks remember vanilla, because there are still many folks playing Light's Hope even after Nost and Elysium are gone, all of which are private vanilla servers.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,399
    I missed the last 3 Xpacs except for like a trial week until Legion.    The systems they added were enjoyable, outside of the Artifact Grind.  After playing alpha and beta and waiting for the Azerite system, I'm not worried.  If I don't enjoy the game I can, gasp, unsub!
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,060
    edited July 2018
    Kabulozo said:
    Xiaoki said:

1) WoW will never regain 10 million subscriber mark ever again.

2.)Third part estimates for WoW sub numbers are pointing 5 to 5.19 million subs right now. And it's set to cotinuously lose subs slowly over the years. 

3.)Most of the WoW realms have been on low population for quite a while, no idea why they don't have plans for merges.

4.)No idea how classic release will impact numbers though.
    1.) So what? How  many other games do you see hitting 10 million subs in the future? How many MMOs have EVER hit 10 million subs? What difference does it make?
    2.) They ONLY have 5 million subs? I'm sure every MMO that has been forced to go FTP for the past ten years would kill to have those numbers.  And yet many of those FTP games can't generate revenue regardless of how much of their game they give away. Meanwhile 5 million subscribers are gladly forking over $15 a month to play a fourteen year old game. 
    3.) MOST of the realms are low? Not when I play. There are quite a few full and medium realms. For a game that is fourteen years old that is quite remarkable. Get back to me when another MMO accomplishes that feat. 

WOW isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Most companies are no longer willing to risk the investment to compete and Blizzard doesn't seem to be interested in making another. So like it or not, this game will be around for as long as Blizzard chooses it to be.
    Nepheth

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,584
    Reyone1 said:
    rush1984 said:

Many folks remember vanilla, because there are still many folks playing Light's Hope even after Nost and Elysium are gone, all of which are private vanilla servers.
    Wow will continue on inertia alone for quite some time. I quite imagine that years later it will be the last of the truly "old school" MMORPGs to die. I'm quite positive it will outlive my grizzled old ass by a country mile. That said I don't have a hell of a lot of hope of Classic Wow making much of an impact. Those of us who were there at the beginning might get a charge out of going back to our younger days, but I doubt many of us will want to stay there for a prolonged period of time as there is just so many more things we could be doing. And those who never sipped from the cup of old school Wow might find it a novel stroll through MMORPGs of the past, but will most likely find the old school restrictions annoying, and gravitate back to more casual friendly waters.
    MadFrenchiep4ttythep3rf3ct

"People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos...
    That some sort of culture of violence will take them over.
    Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands - literally, thousands of songs
    About heartbreak, rejection...pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music
    Because I was miserable... or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,002
    Gutlard said:
    I was actually excited to hear about the factions getting back to the Horde vs. Alliance strife. One of my friends mentioned the possibility of them creating a third faction? Would that bring more races, and maybe some new classes?

Gotta roll one of each for the three months I sub, and then I'll get burned out playing alone as all my now-l33t raiding friends are off doing that. I told them raiding leads to no good, and nothing but drama, and I've been proven right by the years and guild closures!

Damn raiders.....

Gut Out!
    I thought they should have had 3 factions long ago....Ogres, Trolls, Goblins, many other races could have hated both sides.
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,060
    edited July 2018
    Reyone1 said:
    rush1984 said:

Wow will continue on inertia alone for quite some time. I quite imagine that years later it will be the last of the truly "old school" MMORPGs to die. I'm quite positive it will outlive my grizzled old ass by a country mile. That said I don't have a hell of a lot of hope of Classic Wow making much of an impact. Those of us who were there at the beginning might get a charge out of going back to our younger days, but I doubt many of us will want to stay there for a prolonged period of time as there is just so many more things we could be doing. And those who never sipped from the cup of old school Wow might find it a novel stroll through MMORPGs of the past, but will most likely find the old school restrictions annoying, and gravitate back to more casual friendly waters.
    This is what I think will happen as well. I enjoy reliving my childhood whenever I play an Atari or NES emulator. However that fun is very short lived and then I don't pick them up again for quite a few years. Been there, done that. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,584
    ktanner3 said:
    Reyone1 said:
    rush1984 said:

This is what I think will happen as well. I enjoy reliving my childhood whenever I play an Atari or NES emulator. However that fun is very short lived and then I don't pick them up again for quite a few years. Been there, done that. 
    Yeah, same reason I appreciate NES, SNES, and MAME ROMs. Its great fun to retrace our past, but I personally don't want to live there.

"People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos...
    That some sort of culture of violence will take them over.
    Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands - literally, thousands of songs
    About heartbreak, rejection...pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music
    Because I was miserable... or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"

• summerstringssummerstrings Member UncommonPosts: 69
    edited January 15
    I think the wowkiller is possibly Fortnite , admittedly it is not an mmo but it there is a huge change in the gaming habits of what I suspect is one of WoW's key demographics ( gamers between their mid teens to mid 20s ) . I think it is partly this change in gaming habits that has led to the rumored massive drop in subscriptions to WoW . 

Classic will give WoW a bit a of a boost but I there is bound to be a point when there are more people playing another mmo than WoW and it probably won't be because that mmo has record breaking numbers of players but it will be because WoW just loses players because its quality has dropped to the point there is an exodus away from it which is what seems to be happening at the moment . 

The days when WoW is a dominant force in gaming seem to be slowly coming to an end . It had a great run though and is in no mean on its last legs . I suspect it will be around in another decade or two and knocking out content for a diminished but still profitable customer base . 
    Palebane
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 3,623
    I think WoW will get better after all the crap is over with. I suspect they could do well with a bit more updated pay model and less emphasis on daily reputation grinds. 

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,626
    The only thing that can kill WoW is WoW... it is a long slow death but they are working hard on it.