Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D Day, the end of mmorpg's

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited June 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
The big war,

D-Day,  It was September 18, 2008

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning 

The end of first and second generation mmorpg's 

The beginning of Dynamic Event auto play, simply park your character close to the action and watch your exp go up.  Grab a cup of coffee, come back and collect your reward. 

Other small victories: 

Apr 26, 2011,  World of Warcraft Dungeon Finder, all Hell brook loose, people scrambling everyplace, refugees leaving major cities trying to find a home in a real mmorrpg. Those that stuck around to fight simply pressed a button and ended the social reason to have any community.  

Exact date is un-known, records were destroyed, some say LoTRO and D&D Online but this is unclear..  The last phase of the battle's were the Easy Game Play and Cash Shop's.  The player no longer had to do anything.  Skills on the hot bar all did the same thing " kill everything in one shot", Healers and Tanks were out of a job, no one took any damage for ANYTHING TO MATTER !...… For the player to stay on the battlefield for extended period's he would need supplies, food and water and ammo, this was distributed by way of Cash shops.  Pilfering happened, developers denying bag space and cut off zones for players to enter unless they used the " built in store".  Those with LOTS of money survived.   

Nothing Old School was standing.  Little pockets of resistance with emulators.  Some escaped to "retail" Old School, but were turned away with patches that made them extremely easy too.  They now worked for the enemy !

The end of modern civilization :(
Post edited by delete5230 on
YashaXtimtrackmoshraAgent_JosephSovrathWellspringWaanScotAnthurXarkoand 5 others.

Comments

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    And the survivors of this MMO holocaust called it Judgement Day..
    Phry
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I knew from the title, it was you. Since I never understand what you write in the first place. I'll respond generically. "Move on is your best bet."
    KyleranYashaX[Deleted User]vandal5627SovrathMaurgrimUngoodPanther2103XarkoPhryand 2 others.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Blaming the current state on WAR seems unfair, it's actual impact on the genre were nowhere near that.

And dynamic events are not different from quests, the only difference is really how you recieve them. Just like most quests most DEs are garbage but that is more because they are poorly made, not that quests are a better way to spoon feed people the content.

If you want someone to blame it would be better to blame TBC and Wotlk, those 2 Wow expansions really started the dumbing down of the genre. 

As for the dungeon finder, it is more of a symptom. They made dungeons so easy that any random players could do them with very little co-operation and that is the real problem. No-one would have used a dungeonfinder back in EQ cause if you put together a random group without co-ordinating your builds and classes you would fail far too often.

And it is more like the nazi invasion of Poland then the D-day .
    Agent_JosephGdemami
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Loke666 said:
    Blaming the current state on WAR seems unfair, it's actual impact on the genre were nowhere near that.

And dynamic events are not different from quests, the only difference is really how you recieve them. Just like most quests most DEs are garbage but that is more because they are poorly made, not that quests are a better way to spoon feed people the content.

If you want someone to blame it would be better to blame TBC and Wotlk, those 2 Wow expansions really started the dumbing down of the genre. 

As for the dungeon finder, it is more of a symptom. They made dungeons so easy that any random players could do them with very little co-operation and that is the real problem. No-one would have used a dungeonfinder back in EQ cause if you put together a random group without co-ordinating your builds and classes you would fail far too often.

And it is more like the nazi invasion of Poland then the D-day .
    Is that Loke666 or Buzz Killington?
    Waan
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Warhammer Online was too bad of a game to have influenced much of anything.
    Maurgrim[Deleted User]Viper482Phrypsychosiz1

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

I've been wandering the wasteland since it all went to hell.  With my battered and bent armor and my rusty sword.  I shuffle through the dust of this lifeless hell amid the bones of what once was.

Sometimes I see in the distance the bright, flashing lights of those new places.  There is a temptation...but I stay well away from those places.  The people there are not right.  Those places----change people.  There is a wrongness to it all I can't quite define but I won't let it infect me.  No, I'll stay out in the dead wastelands and at least I'll still be myself--alone but uncorrupted.

I see one of those new places now.  All bright and shining.  It seems there is a strange glowing symbol hovering in the air above it.  I feel almost compelled to go closer and inquire....

But no!  I recover my senses.  I won't go there. I turn away and shuffle off into the dust and the darkness....alone.

anemodelete5230
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Another case where a new idea is blamed for problems with the overall model, covered with hyperbole, triggering ony hyperbole.

[Deleted User]Panther2103YashaX

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    If MMOs were still alive today they'd be taken over and killed off by SJWs like they're doing to comics and film. I'm glad we were spared the spectacle.
    It's sad MMOs have passed on but at least it was a natural and honorable death.
    ZombieCatGdemami
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I blame Turbine.  They were the first major western developer to fully embrace "Free to Play" and have since been the western leader in grotesque cash shop practices.  Most of their games are solo oriented with shallow game play and that least resemble a MMORPG.
    Gdemami

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Huh????
    YashaX
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    YashaX
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    This is not a war, that concept assumes an end. MMORPG's are undergoing never ending changes to gameplay and financial model, both an evolution and devolution. It does not stop here, it goes relentlessly on.

Most of the evolution has been in the graphics, most of the devolution in the gameplay and financial model. Call it "streamlining" if you will, call it action combat when it is only a zerg fest, remove housing even raids and call that progress. All of that is devolution to me.

As for the changes in financial model, from cash shop to loot box to GASS to whatever, it will not end. That is a devolution of the fair playing field, the integrity of a subscription and expansion model.
    delete5230Gdemami
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    DMKano said:
    Amathe said:

I know it has its fans, I personally found it terrible.

Had such high hopes from Mythic..... even bought into that "if we are not adding servers, we are not succeeding" pre-launch hype.

talk about a major letdown

lesson learned....
    It was a weird game. I enjoyed the RvR, but it felt like questing was shoe horned in to make the game last longer. Also it was severely imbalanced in PvP for a bit too long which turned a lot of me and my friends off. 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Like any war.. after the dust settled, the rebuilding begun.

The first icon of the new Era was a marvel, unseen before that freed gamers everywhere from the burdens of paying subs, flew the banner of F2P and B2P. This icon of Freedom while having been flown back as far as 2005 with GW1, it was in the wake of  the F2P of DDO in 2009, that allowed players the ability to take breaks and return to games, with no strings attached, which skyrocketed into becoming a trend. Which was great, it led to the dawn of the returning player.

Not only that, it also allowed players who otherwise would never be able to afford to really fund their hobby to be able to invest as little or as much as they wanted, and still enjoy the same game.

Then the epic creation, of the Cosmetic Rewards as opposed to selling power, brought to use by various games, but mainly accredited to GW2, in 2012. This bringing in a new dawn of cash shop, one that does not sell power, but fashion allowing all the players to be on the same power level.

Like anything.. after a war and the dust has settled.. there were those that cling to the ash of the past and lament on their losses.. and those that look to the bright future beaming with new possibilities.

Gdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    I knew from the title, it was you. Since I never understand what you write in the first place. I'll respond generically. "Move on is your best bet."
    It seems that most people here can't figure out when someone is farming for points. 
    Cryomatrix
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Ungood said:

The first icon of the new Era was a marvel, unseen before that freed gamers everywhere from the burdens of paying subs, flew the banner of F2P and B2P. This icon of Freedom while having been flown back as far as 2005 with GW1, it was in the wake of  the F2P of DDO in 2009, that allowed players the ability to take breaks and return to games, with no strings attached, which skyrocketed into becoming a trend. Which was great, it led to the dawn of the returning player.

Not only that, it also allowed players who otherwise would never be able to afford to really fund their hobby to be able to invest as little or as much as they wanted, and still enjoy the same game.

Then the epic creation, of the Cosmetic Rewards as opposed to selling power, brought to use by various games, but mainly accredited to GW2, in 2012. This bringing in a new dawn of cash shop, one that does not sell power, but fashion allowing all the players to be on the same power level.

Like anything.. after a war and the dust has settled.. there were those that cling to the ash of the past and lament on their losses.. and those that look to the bright future beaming with new possibilities.

About your last paragraph,
    Many of us will be look to the bright future.  

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen !!!!! 
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    So if I'm reading this I am the resistance?

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165
    I blame Paul Barnett....
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Gitmix said:
    If MMOs were still alive today they'd be taken over and killed off by SJWs like they're doing to comics and film. I'm glad we were spared the spectacle.
    It's sad MMOs have passed on but at least it was a natural and honorable death.
    Its why they call it 'get woke, go broke'  ;)
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Eh, that is one way of calling the opponents of the D-day... Let's not talk more about it.
    Ungood said:

The payment model really isn't the problem here even if the pay2win thing some games have going is bad.

What really is the problem is the gameplay. Modern MMOs are a lot easier and the group dynamics doesn't work very well anymore since the game is made so every class is as good for the main gameplay: sologrinding quests.

And it was not to solorun easy quests people played MMORPGs for years and years, you and your friends worked together defeating hard challenges, that is what made the genre popular in the beginning. And WAR is blameless there, it is Wows fault.

What WAR messed up is that it more or less screwed over the RvR with it's battlegrounds (or whatever they called them, I been trying to forget them for a long time) that were fun short term but not long term. It was a terrible step from DaoC. While Wow started that as well WAR actually influenced later games a lot.

My point is that the few MMOs they still make needs to improve their gameplay, they can have any blooody payment model they want but if the game isn't fun people will at best play for a couple of weeks and then quit.
    jmcdermottukGdemami
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    DMKano said:
    Amathe said:

I know it has its fans, I personally found it terrible.

Had such high hopes from Mythic..... even bought into that "if we are not adding servers, we are not succeeding" pre-launch hype.

talk about a major letdown

lesson learned....
    I Love warhammer and loved DAoC and Mythic.  I found the game okay.   I don't think it impacted much of anything.  If the ideas had changed something then sure.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    You and me both, 
    I'm under the table right now, been here all day, told the wife if anyone is looking for me, I went south about three days ago.
    Loke666 said:
    Eh, that is one way of calling the opponents of the D-day... Let's not talk more about it.
    Ungood said:

The payment model really isn't the problem here even if the pay2win thing some games have going is bad.

What really is the problem is the gameplay. Modern MMOs are a lot easier and the group dynamics doesn't work very well anymore since the game is made so every class is as good for the main gameplay: sologrinding quests.

And it was not to solorun easy quests people played MMORPGs for years and years, you and your friends worked together defeating hard challenges, that is what made the genre popular in the beginning. And WAR is blameless there, it is Wows fault.

What WAR messed up is that it more or less screwed over the RvR with it's battlegrounds (or whatever they called them, I been trying to forget them for a long time) that were fun short term but not long term. It was a terrible step from DaoC. While Wow started that as well WAR actually influenced later games a lot.

My point is that the few MMOs they still make needs to improve their gameplay, they can have any blooody payment model they want but if the game isn't fun people will at best play for a couple of weeks and then quit.
    The gameplay has been the best advancement yet in MMO's, without Sub Systems and games designed around players grinding for months and years, and putting in means to slow down their progress, adding everything from needing to find a group just to do basic content, to needing to organize massive legions of people to do any raid or 'big boss' level content, or worse yet, play a 'solo' class, and it takes you 10 min to kill a single mob.. but that's find, because you have been waiting for 2 hours to get a group.

Those days and those mechanics are better left dead, without a sub model developers are allowed to focus on making fun content, content with story and lore, content that free stands or is part of a larger picture, but above all, it is enjoyable content, it does not take 3 hours just to prep to go into that content.

The move to build a game that allows players to play the game with other players on their own terms is a great game.

Maybe some people complain that they go though content too fast, or that there is not enough of it, but forced grouping, or interdependent class is not going to change that.  Needing to take 5 min in a full group to kill a mob that gives you 1/millionth of the exp you need level does not suddenly make content fun. 

The day of games like EQ, are better of dust in this war, games that reward working together without forcing players to group up are the future.

But in those games, those that group will do so because they want to, not because some stupid game mechanic forces them to.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

You and me both, 
    I'm under the table right now, been here all day, told the wife if anyone is looking for me, I went south about three days ago.
    Tell your wife I gave them an "Awesome" because anyone willing to put with that is a saint.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I'm looking for Ryan, James Ryan

delete5230
    • Aloha Mr Hand !