Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Old Table Top Games with Friends Feel

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,629
With some modern graphics, sure. But even more than games like Everquest, I would love to experience a little of this (and yes I know the pic is full of mistakes):

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

HatefullNycteliosScot

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,195
    "the picture is full of mistakes" why?
    immodium
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,827
    Divnitiy 2 is the closest thing to it. But making all friends come together in the same time window seems the actual challenge and not finding the actual game.

Lotro RP people are really devoted, you should consider chack it out.
    PhryAmathe
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

Current playing: 
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Shadowbringers; Genshin Impact

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Nyctelios said:
    Divnitiy 2 is the closest thing to it. But making all friends come together in the same time window seems the actual challenge and not finding the actual game.

Even then the social experience between online and table top gaming aren't even comparable.

LAN parties are the social equivalent to table top gaming.
    SovrathZenJellycraftseekerLackingMMOPhrysvann

immodium said:
    Nyctelios said:

Even then the social experience between online and table top gaming aren't even comparable.

How so?

Playing a digital game like Divnity via discord in dungeon master mode is pretty much what it is...

and nobody will spill coke on my god damn books!!!
    ZenJellycraftseekerKyleranScotPhryrertezXodicpsychosiz1

Current playing: 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Nyctelios said:
    immodium said:
    Nyctelios said:

How so?

Playing a digital game like Divnity via discord in dungeon master mode is pretty much what it is...

In regard to feel.

Personally I need to be in the same room as my friends to get that table-top game feel.

It's just a totally different experience being on my own using voice/video chat.
    Rhoklawblueturtle13

immodium said:
    Nyctelios said:
    immodium said:
    Nyctelios said:

How so?

In regard to feel.

Personally I need to be in the same room as my friends to get that table-top game feel.

It's just a totally different experience being on my own using voice/video chat.
    For me the other way around is better. The control over media support makes for a more immersive experience where place those medias (like sounds, music, visual aid) in the same room would require too much investment.

Current playing: 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 18,343
    Well a couple things.
    1 Table top was the best there was,so it was cool,fun and well the best option we had.
    2 Most of my friends from that era liked playing a table top but never really grew into video games,so that option is nearly impossible.Sure a few here and there do play video games but not all have the same love of the same game.Perhaps TOO many options makes it tougher than when we only had a few table top games to choose from so odds were we all liked the same games,be it Monopoly or Risk or DnD.

psychosiz1

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,696
    Why is this posted in a Pantheon forum? No MMORPG ever made has the same social impact as tabletop gaming. 
    SovrathmgilbrtsnHatefullimmodiumScotPhrypsychosiz1

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Why is this posted in a Pantheon forum? No MMORPG ever made has the same social impact as tabletop gaming. 
    But wouldn't it be cool if players could hire DMs to create adventures for them in games like Divinity?

Contract a DM for a X hour long story, the DM uses the game tools to write up/plan out the adventure, you and your friends schedule play sessions with said DM until the adventure has concluded...  Pipe dreams!
    ThupliGyva02

But wouldn't it be cool if players could hire DMs to create adventures for them in games like Divinity?

Contract a DM for a X hour long story, the DM uses the game tools to write up/plan out the adventure, you and your friends schedule play sessions with said DM until the adventure has concluded...  Pipe dreams!
    It would be. I mean I think Sword Coast Legends was trying for this type of experience but we see how that turned out. 
    Yet playing an online role playing game has never come even a fraction as close as playing say Gloomhaven  with a few friends in real life! 
    MadFrenchiePhry

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited June 2018

That's what was tried with Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2, and I still think there's a market for it.  It's interesting that there are no big titles that leverage that model currently.
    Which is why to this day Neverwinter Nights remains my favorite game of all time. I still play it. 
    MadFrenchieNyctelios

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    check out Fantasy Grounds on Steam.  It's a fantastic virtual table top.  I love the 5th edition D&D ruleset they have on there.
    [Deleted User]ThupliNycteliospsychosiz1
    check out Fantasy Grounds on Steam.  It's a fantastic virtual table top.  I love the 5th edition D&D ruleset they have on there.
    Huge money sink though. 
    KyleranPhryNyctelios

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,004
    edited June 2018
    Hmm, last time I played a table top game with friends was Conquest of the Empire back in the early 90s.

(Last time I had any real life friends, probably a factor) ;)

Never did the TT RPG thing, before my time or considered the province of nerds and suicidal "satanists."

I did play SSI gold box games however, and my wife still questions my love of fantasy and magic based RPG games.

Don't tell her about the secret rituals on Discord, OK?

B)
    MadFrenchieSinistScotblueturtle13

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,144
    Sovrath said:
    I never used to hold my axe in my left hand as I am right handed. :)
    Sovrathblueturtle13AmatheKyleranNyctelios

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

We were doing cosplay before there was cosplay, but I must say that was LARP no one I have gamed with wore an outfit to sit down for table top.

Also with the risk of sounding a heretic D&D is rather passé, so old school it seems like it exists in its own era. But glorious days had by one and all none the less.

25 Agrees

• SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369
    edited June 2018
    Huge money sink though. 
    Only if you buy the official rule sets. You can spend around a 100 bucks for the license and then use community rule sets (or the free one that comes with it). Also, there are cheaper rule sets, AD&D is just massively over priced. Not to mention, if you have the license, all clients can connect and play with the free demos. 

Once Fantasy Grounds Unity is finished (no idea and they are taking forever), there will be 3D maping environments, dynamic lighting and line of sight features (for the 2D map version as well). 

Thupliblueturtle13Nyctelios
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,629
    Sovrath said:
    I could be mistaken. Or maybe the game changed after I played it. But my friends and I had graph paper where we mapped out the dungeon as we went. Not all of that stuff they have on the table. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

I am kind of surprised Blueturtle. I think we both know I never said otherwise. To the contrary, what I said was 'to experience a little of this ..." Note the italicized word "little." 

edited June 2018
    Amathe said:
    Sovrath said:
    I could be mistaken. Or maybe the game changed after I played it. But my friends and I had graph paper where we mapped out the dungeon as we went. Not all of that stuff they have on the table. 
    Nah, the stuff they are using is actual, real stuff. Heck, I know a guy whose company makes some of this stuff.
    Scotblueturtle13
    Amathe said:
    I am kind of surprised Blueturtle. I think we both know I never said otherwise. To the contrary, what I said was 'to experience a little of this ..." Note the italicized word "little." 
    I understand that but I still do not understand why it is posted in a Pantheon forum. This game is no different than any other MMORPG, it will offer no experience like a tabletop game. Not even a little bit. Two completely different experiences that, in my opinion, offer no overlap at all. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited June 2018
    Sovrath said:
    Amathe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nah, the stuff they are using is actual, real stuff. Heck, I know a guy whose company makes some of this stuff.
    All that gear is the real McCoy, just not used by all groups, even those that do would not use it all the time. 

25 Agrees

blueturtle13 said:

This game is no different than any other MMORPG, it will offer no experience like a tabletop game. Not even a little bit. 
    Then we can agree to disagree. I think the emphasis on social interaction, greater group dependency, the need to learn one's way around, the less obvious nature of questing, the return to tactics over min/max spam, the more measured pace of travel and combat, and many other factors pay greater homage to tabletop gaming than many mmorpgs do. 
    blueturtle13

edited June 2018
    Scot said:
    Sovrath said:
    Amathe said:
    Sovrath said:
    All that gear is the real McCoy, just not used by all groups, even those that do would not use it all the time. 
    If that stuff was available when I was young and played pen and paper games I'd have all of it. All the stuffs!
    blueturtle13Scot
    Amathe said:
    blueturtle13 said:

This game is no different than any other MMORPG, it will offer no experience like a tabletop game. Not even a little bit. 
    Then we can agree to disagree. I think the emphasis on social interaction, greater group dependency, the need to learn one's way around, the less obvious nature of questing, the return to tactics over min/max spam, the more measured pace of travel and combat, and many other factors pay greater homage to tabletop gaming than many mmorpgs do. 
    I agree Pantheon (may) offer a better group based experience than most other modern MMORPGs I just do not agree that an MMORPG (or any other video game) can offer any kind of similar experience that table top gaming does. Two completely different experiences.  

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다