Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW CLASSIC News - It Will Begin with Patch 1.12, Drums of War - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member RarePosts: 4,303
    Torval said:
    I can't believe LFG tool and cross realm battlegrounds haven't come up yet.
    cross realm AV would be a deal breaker for most
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 819
    While I'm glad they are starting with 1.12, if there is truly no content progression (even for the 'classic' content) then this is doomed to be short lived* (do they want it to die so they can say, 'we told you so'?).

*Vanilla WoW had a lot of 'catch-up' content (e.g. ZG20, AQ20) added throughout its life, if 'classic' starts with all content available then half the 'end-game' can effectively be skipped.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    edited June 2018
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    I can't believe LFG tool and cross realm battlegrounds haven't come up yet.
    I had an idea the other day that I thought may be beneficial to games that want to avoid auto-matching of groups while still helping players find one another as much as possible.

The LFG advertising tool, as far as I've experienced, only let you advertise your currently logged in player.  Why not allow players to advertise a group for ALL their created characters, regardless of which is logged in?  I don't mean the auto-porting LFG queues, but the simple advertisement system included in some MMORPGs.  Seems like it would increase the chances of players finding groupmates, and they could choose to advertise one, two, or all of their character's similtaneously for other players.
    I totally agree. I think those tools that help people connect without bypassing content are exactly what old school MMORPGs needed. That type of LFG did nothing to break content or ruin social interaction. It was more like a message board in a tavern than an automation tool.

I'm unsure whether they'll even have CR Battlegrounds. I'm not a pvp player so I don't care either way but I could understand why players would want them. I also understand why Blizz wouldn't want Classic and Modern server players mixed if there are balance or skill compatibility issues. It's hard to say.
    Absolutely.  I've always referred to it as organic systems, but I'm not sure that's the right word.  It's just one I came up with for these things in the absence of a better more appropriate term.

Systems that bring folks together without obviating content, like you say.  Whether that be dynamic group questing systems that advertise players hit up an inn to meet other folks to recruit on their quest, increasing the rewards exponentially for each player picked up in these "meeting spots," the LFG advertising tool allowing you to advertise all your characters simultaneously as you like, or whatever.  Things like that can nudge players towards one another through the use of positive rewards in terms of loot, XP, and the gamer experience.

Also, I really need to stop posting from my phone so much.  Dem typos, doe.
    Torval

• danastydanasty Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited June 2018
    pvp is gonna be INSANE! on classic..pve people beware! and I can not wait to see original WESTFALL again! absolutely love that place!
  • MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,503
    danasty said:
    pvp is gonna be INSANE! on classic..pve people beware! and I can not wait to see original WESTFALL again! absolutely love that place!
    Or the old Tauren Mill gankfest.
    MrMelGibson

"What if I told you 'insane' was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 32,783

SBFord said:

Scellow said:

They should remake the game with modern standard instead of recycling an old and dying engine

The vanilla "purists" would NEVER accept that. They're doing what has been requested. :)

Just look at Old School Runescape & Runescape 3. Old School has terrible graphics and Runescape 3 has better and with optional interface & combat style of old school runescape. Still, however, the actual Old School runescape community and players GREATLY outnumber the players of RS3.
    A better comparison is to note Runescape "Classic" version (2001 snapshot)  closes in August. 

Old School Runescape is a 2007 view, so by similar comparison the server version Blizzard should be releasing is....Cataclysm. (2010)

;)

MrMelGibson

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 890
    I keep reading comments that people will get through the content fast because they already know what to do...
    1st. Don't people know what to do with every other content as well? I mean from the current BfA beta people have already learned raid fights, dungeon fights etc... I don't see the difference, except yeah this will get more content with time.
    2nd. Raids - they are 20 men and 40 men. In case you haven't raided in Vanilla let me tell you 40 people = quite a bit of mistakes even if raid fights are easier.
    3rd. PvP - Good luck getting Grand Marshal fast if you don't have the whole server supporting you ;)
    4th. If you want to level 1 character, than gear it up and experience MC yeah it will take you probably only 2-3 months and if you want to get all your gear from MC it will take you probably another 2-3 months(40(50-60 with reserves) men raids don't forget a lot of people want your gear and hunters can wear thunder fury :O). So roughly 5-6 months just for 1 character. That seems like a lot to me and that's just for MC.
    5th. Alts...
    6th. Getting stuff. Not everything is readily available like in other expansions. Even food is expensive that's why mages will so popular back in the days :P

Honestly I personally see A LOT of content in Vanilla especially if you plan to play with more than 1 character.
    Axxar
  • SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros Member EpicPosts: 2,924
  • ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 1,973
    When we ask people what they want, they keep asking for old stuff, bring back the game I used to love, give me a sequel of the game I loved, make me a game that is very similar to other popular games because that's what I will pay for.

Welcome to the reason why companies rarely create something new.
    Mahlo
    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417
    Shaigh said:
    When we ask people what they want, they keep asking for old stuff, bring back the game I used to love, give me a sequel of the game I loved, make me a game that is very similar to other popular games because that's what I will pay for.

Welcome to the reason why companies rarely create something new.
    There is a place (and a market) for creating new and original IPs, there is also a place (and a market) to preserve and maintain gems of old. (See HD-versions and Remastered of old games, they're usually well recieved by fans)

Stop being salty is what I'm trying to say.
    Axxar
  • AxxarAxxar Member UncommonPosts: 57
    btdt said:
    Releasing all the content of vanilla on day one is a mistake.  It wasn't released in that manner originally.  People will just skip some content entirely and jump into the last raid as soon as possible since it will drop the best gear.  People will just farm Argent Dawn rep from the get go.

The thing about vanilla is that you had to progress through the content... some by virtue of attunements, other by virtue of it not being open.  So the Gates of Ahn Qiraj are already open?  What about the war effort to open them?  The damn mount?  

Hell it sounds like they've already done a cop out.  Private servers at least tried to maintain the original as much as possible.  Classic is going to be a failure.
    Private servers based in 1.12 have content progression, so I think you are jumping the gun here.
  • LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417
    Axxar said:
    btdt said:
    Releasing all the content of vanilla on day one is a mistake.  It wasn't released in that manner originally.  People will just skip some content entirely and jump into the last raid as soon as possible since it will drop the best gear.  People will just farm Argent Dawn rep from the get go.

The thing about vanilla is that you had to progress through the content... some by virtue of attunements, other by virtue of it not being open.  So the Gates of Ahn Qiraj are already open?  What about the war effort to open them?  The damn mount?  

Hell it sounds like they've already done a cop out.  Private servers at least tried to maintain the original as much as possible.  Classic is going to be a failure.
    Private servers based in 1.12 have content progression, so I think you are jumping the gun here.
    Yep, as I read the classic article I got the impression they were talking more about the technical backend and the foundation of the Classic experience. As in 'How' to deliver the content rather than 'Which' type of content.

As Axxar said, private servers are based on 1.12 all thoughtout their lifetime for their backend, then they stagger out the content patches, often in a Blizzlike schedule too.

So I'm not particularly worried, I don't think Blizzard would make that mistake.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,019
    Lorgarn said:
    Axxar said:
    btdt said:

So I'm not particularly worried, I don't think Blizzard would make that mistake.
    RMAH :D
    MrMelGibson

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 316
    edited June 2018
    Right out the gate these servers will be full with millions of players, anyone who disagrees hasn't seen the size of the communities of the private servers. Plus what I think is getting missed is the fact that crafting matters and the game content was actually difficult with lots of travel time. The private servers were so successful the largest most popular company in the video game space had to threaten them with lawsuit's Nostalrius was one of the most successful private servers to date, with over 800,000 accounts registered, of which 150,000 were active and this was only 1 server lol. Also the success seen with Runescape classic over Runescape 3 is a big tell that there's huge communities that just do not like quick and easy content. I just wish we would get more games that were a Horizontal and not Vertical build so we could finally enjoy all the content and remove the rat race to end game. All the beautiful areas these company's create to have us never return to it lol it always seems like such a waste of time.
    NeonShadowSedrynTyrosMrMelGibson
  • MrG8MrG8 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    edited June 2018
    I played on Nostalrius before Blizzard took it down. Loved it. That classic experience (Im an old classic player) beats all the damn expansion together. Those expansion offer nothing but an empty shell with no love and passion.
    You who havent tried WOW classic might ask why it can be so good since it doesnt offer as much content as WOW do today. But you will realize when you play wow classic that its not about the amount of content its about what the content is and how much love and passion its given to it. And even if wow classic doesnt have as much content as in world map and other stuff it doesnt matter. wow classic still today got more hours of joy compared to all the expansions together.

I hope WOW Classic is here to stay the way it WAS. No shitty progression server as Rift chooses to have or something like that.

Give us WOW Classic and leave it. Sure the kids that play wow today will try it out and probably leave after some day or two when they realize you cant level boost to max level in 1 hour etc. And there is no flying mounts or really cool looking armors and this and that.. But let them leave, I'm sure wow classic is not the game for them.
    But I'm sure that WOW Classic will bring money that Blizzard otherwise wouldn't get. We veteran player will stay, I'm sure.
    I hope they just dont ruin it in someway now.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,178
    Doing the time warp again...I hope it goes well. :)
    SBFord

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 451
    I guess I don't see the point. I mean, progression servers are great. They allow you to go back and play the game from the beginning and progress. This just seems "meh". How long will someone want to play BWL (not even sure BWL was out by then, to be honest) and raid Tarren Mill before the novelty wears off?
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,019
    I guess I don't see the point. I mean, progression servers are great. They allow you to go back and play the game from the beginning and progress. This just seems "meh". How long will someone want to play BWL (not even sure BWL was out by then, to be honest) and raid Tarren Mill before the novelty wears off?
    To give you an idea, 1.11(or 1.10) was Naxx.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Sephiroso said:
    Point still stands. How long do you think WoW would have survived has it just stalled out at 1.12 on the live servers ans Blizzard had decided that the expansions weren't worth it or something? I love original WoW as much as the next person, but that kind of stagnation in content will create the same thing we see with new games now: the cycle of play a bit, lose interest, leave. 

I get PvPing for titles will be fun, and playing the old version of Naxx will be a blast, but after that.....what? The whole draw of progression servers is to start brand new. but to get new content every 3 months or whatever. Why not do vote progression? Allow the community to decide if the next path comes out or not. Just seems like the novelty is gonna wear off and those servers will be empty a year down the road. Maybe not, though.

I have this odd feeling that people will flock there with rose colored glasses on and then realize they miss a lot of the modern amenities that WoW has.
  • OutaiOutai Member UncommonPosts: 77
    I'm in for sure... Not expecting to play for years.

I just want that nonlinear questing experience, find some of those hidden quests that I always missed during leveling a bazillion alts. The higher difficulty of low level dungeons, without dungeon finder. To finally experience classic raids as is, as I started when BC came out.

Then those long Alterac Valley fights, and world PvP.
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member UncommonPosts: 277
    Looking forward to farming my beast stalkers set so i can camp the light hope chapel flight path and kill some filthy hoard
  • NeonShadowNeonShadow Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Sephiroso said:
    Point still stands. How long do you think WoW would have survived has it just stalled out at 1.12 on the live servers ans Blizzard had decided that the expansions weren't worth it or something? I love original WoW as much as the next person, but that kind of stagnation in content will create the same thing we see with new games now: the cycle of play a bit, lose interest, leave. 

I get PvPing for titles will be fun, and playing the old version of Naxx will be a blast, but after that.....what? The whole draw of progression servers is to start brand new. but to get new content every 3 months or whatever. Why not do vote progression? Allow the community to decide if the next path comes out or not. Just seems like the novelty is gonna wear off and those servers will be empty a year down the road. Maybe not, though.

I have this odd feeling that people will flock there with rose colored glasses on and then realize they miss a lot of the modern amenities that WoW has.
    After that you roll an alt or move on. How is it any different than live servers? I resub back to WoW once a year since you blast through whatever current content it has quite fast. Classic WoW will take a lot longer to go through.
    Torval
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 178
    danasty said:
    Or the old Tauren Mill gankfest.
    Tarren Mill, but yes, PvP there was awesome, only thing that was more fun was MCing players into the lava in Blackrock Mountain.
    MisterZebubTheScavenger
  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 4,962
    I will play for sure just not sure how long though.

• FinvegaFinvega Member UncommonPosts: 133
    edited June 2018
    Plenty of peeps play on the private servers, so I think a healthy player base is possible. Many people won't play the private servers for various reasons, but will a legit Blizz product. For me, I would like progression through the last expansion that had Talent points. They lost me when that changed.