Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen the latest drama on the internet. 06-11-2018

Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
"It’s about losing hope. Right now, a massive thread has racked up 1500 upvotes from the Star Citizen Reddit community, as players weigh in on a long concern post from a fellow backer with $4500 in the game."

I read about this yesterday.  Since it appears to be gaining steam I thought I'd link another article which has appeared.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

MadFrenchieCoticBabuinix

Comments

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited June 2018
    I wonder how much more money this scam will be able to suck from the people before it colapses.
    BabuinixalkarionlogNebilim
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Remember 6 or 7 months ago when Errilion was saying that he thought SQ42 was going to be released in June?

Yeah...
    MadFrenchieCoticYashaXsgelNebilim
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Remember 6 or 7 months ago when Errilion was saying that he thought SQ42 was going to be released in June?

Yeah...
    lol
    MadFrenchiesgel
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    "Long awaited" are the Star Citizen watch words.   And they'll continue to be, for a long, long time.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

Yeah...
    They never even released the promised roadmap to SQ42.  ...not that that should have been surprising.
    CoticNebilim
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2018

Yeah...
    As the clock ticks, I wonder more and more how backers can continue to shove their heads into the sand.

Even if every single person on the team is making a good faith effort, the progress is abysmally slow and the money that's costing is going to be shouldered by the backers.  Couple that with the fact that they seem to be unable to control the scope creep, and there's not a lot of positive signs here.

Some of the backers posting about the missed timeline on the thread...  Things like having one full star system isn't even completed.  We're not talking about mere slight delays, or even moderate ones...  These are massive delays.
    BabuinixNebilim

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    By reading this thing I'm also noticing that people haven't been getting refunds since January. I had no idea that was the case. I mean, we are in June. 
    Babuinix
    I'm currently reading through it too.  The SQ42 trailer delayed over a year....  The trailer.
    SwaneaNebilim

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

Yeah...
    It takes longer than I hoped, that is correct. 

You will also find that i often said that personally I do not care how long it takes - as long as they are able to deliver an excellent, well-tested and fun-to-play game. As the famous quote says "It will take as long as it takes." To me it looks like they are doing well - i enjoyed checking out all the new stuff added in the last patches.

Have fun

YashaXBabuinixalkarionlog
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:

Yeah...
    It takes longer than I hoped, that is correct. 

You will also find that i often said that personally I do not care how long it takes - as long as they are able to deliver an excellent, well-tested and fun-to-play game. As the famous quote says "It will take as long as it takes." To me it looks like they are doing well - i enjoyed checking out all the new stuff added in the last patches.

Have fun

So if the game crashes and burns will you be releasing all that pent up rage since you don’t care now? Cause I don’t know about everyone else but that would be fun to watch
    Nebilim
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    No matter the time it takes. No matter the time it takes. No matter the time it takes. No matter the time it takes!

LackingMMOSiugScotCoticYashaXNevereverlandBabuinixOctagon7711sgelbartoni33and 3 others.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Kefo said: So if the game crashes and burns will you be releasing all that pent up rage since you don’t care now? Cause I don’t know about everyone else but that would be fun to watch
    No. Why should I do that ? I already got years of enjoyable gaming out of this Alpha. Had the privilege of meeting dozens of wonderful people along the way.  Contrary to some others I seem to have no pent up "angry gamer" rage inside me. And I am quite happy about that. 

Have fun
    CoticYashaXalkarionlog
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    edited June 2018
    I am glad Massively posted this, there is definitely a changing tide amongst many people who have been patient so far, as evidenced by the sheer amount of support for the backer in the reddit thread. CIG need to clarify their position regarding refunds, stringing people along for months on end is not at all appropriate.

A new day and new drama in Star Citizen, this time in the form of a video for Alpha 3.2

Babuinix
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    As long as the money keeps coming in it looks like a decent game will get made, but backers will have to cheer on the dev team for another one or two years. Then it will have to be cheered on and funded for another year or two to get it out of early access.

Taking a note from FlyByKnight, until then this will be "The Dammed United". :)
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    this game will release its not a scam imo but it will look just good and not amazing people will ask did they really spend hundreds of millions of dollars making this?
    Octagon7711
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited June 2018
    Hahaha changing tide.

Haters gona Hate

Backers gona Wait

CIG will continue to develop the game and make millions in the process.

Deluded folks who think vocal whiners represent a "comunity" couldn't be more mistaken.

Another month another drama from the usual buthurt goons , haters and randoms with no clue lol

And gamers wonder why companies keep their develpment shut until release lol
    Post edited by Babuinix on
    YashaX
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Time is no longer staying their friend.  The longer the project takes the more criticism they will have to endure from the gaming world in general. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited June 2018
    Babuinix said:

And gamers wonder why companies keep their develpment shut until release lol
    Because they show their development progress to the pubs who are providing the investment to create the game, instead.

CIG is merely adhering to the industry standard by showing backers progress and updates.  That's nothing special.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Raquis said:
    this game will release its not a scam imo but it will look just good and not amazing people will ask did they really spend hundreds of millions of dollars making this?
    The thing that worries me is the amount of bugs in the game.  They get worked on but priority needs to be higher.  Devs set the pace in the early stages of development.  If the foundation isn't strengthened at the start you could end up with a house of cards. ESO had a low priority when it came to fixing bugs, they had a terrible launch and it took them years to set a lot of problems straight and to this day things like animation canceling are still a concern.  Same thing with TSW and SWL.  One thing about WoW, they went after bugs in a major way during development and  it made for a better game.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited June 2018
    Things peak up and down, especially for the earliest backers as who been there when the game suffered the massive scope changes post-KS. And it's nothing new.

Time will wear down the ones who most obsess with it; if you get every day and go search X or Y game "is it out yet?", you'll just grow frustrated, this is not specific to SC.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    tbh I wouldn't mind waiting for years if they actually knew how to make a good game.
    The world and gameplay that currently exists is uninspiring and utterly boring.
    I really don't think they can create engaging gameplay when they still can't get the flight model right after 6 years of working on it.
    Kefo

..Cake..

MaxBacon said:
    Things peak up and down, especially for the earliest backers as who been there when the game suffered the massive scope changes post-KS. And it's nothing new.

Time will wear down the ones who most obsess with it; if you get every day and go search X or Y game "is it out yet?", you'll just grow frustrated, this is not specific to SC.
    It isn't, but I also see backers in the Reddit commenting on how ships sold 3 years ago still haven't been delivered, specifics of performance not even nailed down from the comments.

Other crowdfunded projects love this project though, because it sets such a high comparative bar for delays.  I'd imagine publishers love it too, because every year of delays is another year they can go "See?  That's what happens when you cut us out of the equation."

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    The more money spend and the longer it takes, the more people will expect. Its impossible for them to say "well, it took 5 years and 75 million more but we didn't provide anything extra."

Sure, a lot of people will wait forever and be perfectly happy with the end result should there be one, the majority of people do run out of patience eventually though, with everything and not just SC. Time simply isn't on their side anymore. That doesn't make a bad game, it also doesn't make a good one.

Only time will tell, not haters calling it a disaster, not fans calling others clueless.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    CazrielMadFrenchie
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited June 2018
    It isn't, but I also see backers in the Reddit commenting on how ships sold 3 years ago still haven't been delivered, specifics of performance not even nailed down from the comments.

Other crowdfunded projects love this project though, because it sets such a high comparative bar for delays.  I'd imagine publishers love it too, because every year of delays is another year they can go "See?  That's what happens when you cut us out of the equation."
    I don't agree. Past years there are always phases where reddit just vents, then it goes back to normal, to me this reddit is like "mob mentality", either we're all angry at something, or happy at something.

And that tends to happen on the first half of the year where things always get more quiet, and even if CIG has to push back what's on Q3/4 partially, they still have several core much wanted things that'll ease up those feels.

SC needs to release what's at least on the entire 3.2-3.5 roadmap before it would be even acceptable to start to to talk about betas and releases, the time that will take will have to be, no way the game can be rushed without failing fundamental pieces that will cause more outrage than more delays.
  • RouzukiRouzuki Member UncommonPosts: 66
    I like to poke my head into these forums once everyone 2 or 3 months for the latest SC argument. It amuses me that it's always the same 8ish people arguing in every single thread. I wager you're all secretly really best friends IRL.
    Octagon7711bartoni33