Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 is indeed an MMORPG, and it sounds pretty great! - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Sovrath said:

I'm sorry but this is dumbing down of the worst kind.
    How is this "dumbing down". If anything it's creating larger challenges by requiring every person to interact with his/her fellow players.

There's nothing "dumb" about that.
    Well, let's see...you know how FO 4 basically removed all RPG elements that had existed in FO 3 and before?  For example, instead of being able to talk/sneak/etc your way through objectives as you could previously, in FO 4 the lone way (usually, at least) to complete a quest was to shoot everything living?  For another example, the way in which it became possible to have all skills in all trees maxed out with enough play time, instead of having to choose as you did before?

THAT sort of dumbing down.  The sort we've seen before, and as I'm sure you know, simpler is NOT always better....as a matter of fact, when it comes to gaming, it rarely is.  So now (and again, this is very early) we are being shown another "survival" game with (apparently, at least) sorely limited quests or objectives.  The absence of NPCs will (probably) mean the absence of any story or real goals.  What, you didn't think "requiring" people to interact with others is going to expand a storyline or create anything for the thinking man, did you?  And if the game does indeed allow players to destroy other players' stuff, steal from them, and so forth....how precisely does that "create" any sort of challenge or add any type of RPG element?  I can see it creating frustration, and that's about it.
    NeonShadow
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,662
    Sovrath said:

How is this "dumbing down". If anything it's creating larger challenges by requiring every person to interact with his/her fellow players.

If anything I consider this an evolution and progression of the survival genre. It's clutched tenaciously to very crude mechanics that have a lot of room for interesting growth. Let's not hold it back just for the sake of rabble rousing. Gamers love their torch and pitchforks.

At lunch today we decided that no matter what Bethesda announced there would be angry indignant mobs.
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

It only took 3 people 8 words to rock Blizzard to its core.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,053
    edited June 2018
    Sovrath said:

Well, let's see...you know how FO 4 basically removed all RPG elements that had existed in FO 3 and before?  For example, instead of being able to talk/sneak/etc your way through objectives as you could previously, in FO 4 the lone way (usually, at least) to complete a quest was to shoot everything living?  For another example, the way in which it became possible to have all skills in all trees maxed out with enough play time, instead of having to choose as you did before?

THAT sort of dumbing down.  The sort we've seen before, and as I'm sure you know, simpler is NOT always better....as a matter of fact, when it comes to gaming, it rarely is.  So now (and again, this is very early) we are being shown another "survival" game with (apparently, at least) sorely limited quests or objectives.  The absence of NPCs will (probably) mean the absence of any story or real goals.  What, you didn't think "requiring" people to interact with others is going to expand a storyline or create anything for the thinking man, did you?  And if the game does indeed allow players to destroy other players' stuff, steal from them, and so forth....how precisely does that "create" any sort of challenge or add any type of RPG element?  I can see it creating frustration, and that's about it.
    yeah but not every game requires a story line.

As I've mentioned before, I have a friend who only plays Elder scrolls games. that's it. And he never did most of the quests of Morrowind or Oblvion. He told me he just didn't care about story but the immersive experience.

And he's probably one of the smartest people I know, definitely a "thinking man". PhD from Harvard and a degree from Oxford but he doesn't care about story.

sometimes being "a thinking man" is just that. You motivate yourself with your own reasons.

I'm a pretty smart cookie "for the most part" (no Phd I can tell ya) but I love the idea of a game with absolutely no story.

And I usually am the one who reads all the quests. Thing is, over the years, quests have become a bit crap for the most part. I'd much rather be dumped into a world and told "well good luck".

That to me is far more exciting and interesting.

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,542
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

For me, MMO means nothing today. Its used to describe a "type" of game.

Literally, as I keep telling people here, its a buzzword from the early 2000s. 

"MMO" as you knew it died a long time ago but most people here are too afraid to admit it. 

So if it's dead why is a different set of people afraid to let go of the MMO initials and keep using it to apply to this new shit? Lack of imagination in making up a term that does fit what currently exists?
    why do you care so much about what terminology people use? Who made you ruler of terms? 

Last time I checked things change when new information is presented.

"MMO" is a descriptor nothing more. The "MMO" genre has been dead for a while. It's a harsh reality that some just will not accept. The funny thing about time is, it does not care if you believe or not, its happening. With or without your belief. 
    "PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

Currently: Games Audio Engineer
    You've heard what I've heard

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,907
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

"MMO" as you knew it died a long time ago but most people here are too afraid to admit it. 

So if it's dead why is a different set of people afraid to let go of the MMO initials and keep using it to apply to this new shit? Lack of imagination in making up a term that does fit what currently exists?
    why do you care so much about what terminology people use? Who made you ruler of terms? 

"MMO" is a descriptor nothing more. The "MMO" genre has been dead for a while. It's a harsh reality that some just will not accept. The funny thing about time is, it does not care if you believe or not, its happening. With or without your belief. 
    Why do you use words at all if you want to randomly change their meaning? Doesn't that work only if you're talking to yourself? You might as well be using all purpose generic grunts.

Something is happening here alright but you just don't know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones.

ScorchienLimnicJamesGoblinNeonShadow
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
    edited June 2018
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

Why do you use words at all if you want to randomly change their meaning? Doesn't that work only if you're talking to yourself? You might as well be using all purpose generic grunts.

Something is happening here alright but you just don't know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones.

LOL... "Randomly Change their meaning"  I'm not randomly changing anything. It is not random, there is a clear pattern. I'm using it as a descriptor. Which is exactly what it is.

It's changed completely since the term was introduced as a marketing term, then later adapted as a genre now used as a descriptor. I didn't personally do that, the community did those things, I just went with it. 

Early 2000s - MMO: Sold Boxes and Boxes of Online games because the internet was still new and people were buying into the fantasy of playing with people all over the world. Hence "Massively"

Mid 2000s - MMO: so many games are coming out (Everyday) using the term that it becomes a genre. Companies see the value in MMO because of the success of WoW and run with it.

2010s- MMO: MMO genre is in massive decline and starts to die. Most of them forced to go Free2Play just to lure customers in the door only to hit them with cash shop offers and the genre as a whole begins to die. most gamers start to use MMO as a descriptor of a type of game. Always online, Multiplayer, smaller, persistent world games start to be developed and released. Devs stop saying MMO when describing these games because of the negative connotation. 

2020s: Prediction: MMO Genre will be 95% dead (WoW maybe being an exception) the term will be generally accepted as a describer of a typical game. Much like saying Sports Game, and NBA 2K or Madden. People will say MMO Anthem and everyone will know the type of game Anthem was.

You don't need to tell me something is happening. I've been saying it for years. I've been saying what it is the entire time. MMO genre is dead and something new has taken its place. We call these new things MMO because they are born literally from the exact same things as the previous generation of MMO. If it were not we wouldn't call em that. I personally like the term MMO-Lite but I'm just one person.

Whatever you wanna call it the term MMO is still in there so what are you really mad at? That it's not a "TRUE" mmo? LMAO jeeze. You want us to disregard the MMO part of these games? 

You just won't accept it. It's slapping you in the face and you still won't accept it. Maybe its age idk but do you bro.

JamesGoblinNeonShadow
    "PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,871
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

LOL... "Randomly Change their meaning"  I'm not randomly changing anything. It is not random, there is a clear pattern. I'm using it as a descriptor. Which is exactly what it is.

It's changed completely since the term was introduced as a marketing term, then later adapted as a genre now used as a descriptor. I didn't personally do that, the community did those things, I just went with it. 

Early 2000s - MMO: Sold Boxes and Boxes of Online games because the internet was still new and people were buying into the fantasy of playing with people all over the world. Hence "Massively"

Mid 2000s - MMO: so many games are coming out (Everyday) using the term that it becomes a genre. Companies see the value in MMO because of the success of WoW and run with it.

2010s- MMO: MMO genre is in massive decline and starts to die. Most of them forced to go Free2Play just to lure customers in the door only to hit them with cash shop offers and the genre as a whole begins to die. most gamers start to use MMO as a descriptor of a type of game. Always online, Multiplayer, smaller, persistent world games start to be developed and released. Devs stop saying MMO when describing these games because of the negative connotation. 

2020s: Prediction: MMO Genre will be 95% dead (WoW maybe being an exception) the term will be generally accepted as a describer of a typical game. Much like saying Sports Game, and NBA 2K or Madden. People will say MMO Anthem and everyone will know the type of game Anthem was.

I've been saying what it is the entire time. You just won't accept it. It's slapping you in the face in you still won't accept it. Do you bro.
    You need to let Bethesda know what they are making , they think they are making a Mutli/Coop game ..

Be great if you clear it up for them
    JamesGoblinTacticalZombeh
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

I've been saying what it is the entire time. You just won't accept it. It's slapping you in the face in you still won't accept it. Do you bro.
    You need to let Bethesda know what they are making , they think they are making a Mutli/Coop game ..

Be great if you clear it up for them
    I don't need to clear up anything, I think they got it right :) 

klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

You don't need to tell me something is happening. I've been saying it for years. I've been saying what it is the entire time. MMO genre is dead and something new has taken its place. We call these new things MMO because they are born literally from the exact same things as the previous generation of MMO. If it were not we wouldn't call em that. I personally like the term MMO-Lite but I'm just one person.

The term MMO is still in there so what are you really mad at? 

You just won't accept it. It's slapping you in the face and you still won't accept it. Maybe its age idk but do you bro.

If it's a descriptor it should be able to describe what it is. I'll wait for you to do that using words without half-baked examples :) 

de·scrip·tor
    dəˈskriptər/
    noun
    1. an element or term that has the function of describing, identifying, or indexing, in particular.
      • LINGUISTICS
        a word or expression used to describe or identify something.
        noun: descriptor; plural noun: descriptors

JamesGoblin
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

If it's a descriptor it should be able to describe what it is. I'll wait for you to do that using words without half-baked examples :) 

de·scrip·tor
    dəˈskriptər/
    noun
    1. an element or term that has the function of describing, identifying, or indexing, in particular.
      • LINGUISTICS

Descriptor- a word or expression used to describe or identify something.

MMO - Type of game

LMAO - Laughing My Ass Off

klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

de·scrip·tor
    dəˈskriptər/
    noun
      • LINGUISTICS

MMO - Type of game

Grunt grunt? Grunt grunt grunty grunt! MMO grunt grunt, grunt.
    NeonShadow
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

de·scrip·tor
    dəˈskriptər/
    noun
      • LINGUISTICS

MMO - Type of game

Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt! Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt. Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt.

Translation for non Grunt Speakers: Thanks for speaking my language! it makes this so much easier. You cant accept or properly respond because you know and see that I've been right about it. 

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 694
    So, let me get this straight:  First, they crowd the market with MMORPGs.  Then, they start crowding the market with MOBAs.  Now, we're crowding it with Survival games?  FFS, developers need to quit going the route of the FOTM and just build a good game.  I'm not saying Fallout 76 is going to be terrible, but from where I'm sitting; it is yet another survival game in an already crowded market of (bad) survival games.

Hopefully they do it right, but I'm not holding my breath.  Survival games are inherently more about crafting/building than character advancement and story.  We'll have to see what they do.
    MadFrenchie

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: League of Legends, anything Dark Souls-like, Hearthstone, DDO
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

de·scrip·tor
    dəˈskriptər/
    noun
      • LINGUISTICS

MMO - Type of game

Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt! Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt. Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt.

Translation for non Grunt Speakers: Thanks for speaking my language! it makes this so much easier. You cant accept or properly respond because you know and see that I've been right about it. 
    Dude anyone who puts this list of games "Destiny, Division, ESO, add Anthem and Fallout76" in the same sentence calling them all MMOs is just fucking nuts. Especially since I know you play ESO. Have you ever even been to Cyrodiil? How does a game with hundreds of players in one PVP fight even belong in the same sentence as Destiny, Division, Anthem and Fallout76?

Many people here can make reasonable arguments about why Destiny, Division, Anthem and Fallout76 game play can feel a little bit like some parts of true MMO game play. But you're not one of those people because the best that you can come up with is "like yeah some of us call every online game an MMO and we're the cool, hip ones." In what universe do you consider that to even be an argument that advances your definition agenda?

NeonShadowTacticalZombeh
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,054
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:

If anything I consider this an evolution and progression of the survival genre. It's clutched tenaciously to very crude mechanics that have a lot of room for interesting growth. Let's not hold it back just for the sake of rabble rousing. Gamers love their torch and pitchforks.

At lunch today we decided that no matter what Bethesda announced there would be angry indignant mobs.
    I don’t think it’s a question of what they make as long as they are clear about it. Just don’t set expectations that it will be a certain type of game and not deliver that experience. 

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,708
    edited June 2018
    Based upon what I have seen so far, I am excited to be able to play with friends in a Fall Out game. Now, with that said, if this turns into a GTA Online like experience....I will be out pretty fast and be very much inclined to NOT purchase another Bethesda game in the future.

Let's party like it is 1863!

Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:

de·scrip·tor
    dəˈskriptər/
    noun
      • LINGUISTICS

MMO - Type of game

Dude anyone who puts this list of games "Destiny, Division, ESO, add Anthem and Fallout76" in the same sentence calling them all MMOs is just fucking nuts. Especially since I know you play ESO. Have you ever even been to Cyrodiil? How does a game with hundreds of players in one PVP fight even belong in the same sentence as Destiny, Division, Anthem and Fallout76?

Many people here can make reasonable arguments about why Destiny, Division, Anthem and Fallout76 game play can feel a little bit like some parts of true MMO game play. But you're not one of those people because the best that you can come up with is "like yeah some of us call every online game an MMO and we're the cool, hip ones." In what universe do you consider that to even be an argument that advances your definition agenda?

TFW when you don't realize ESO is a heavily instanced online game. Just like Destiny, just like Division. I cannot log into ESO and just find a person by running to them. No, I have to use travel to player... you know why? In Destiny, I cannot just log in and fly to earth and meet my friends. No, I must "join fireteam" first. Same thing with the division. You know why?

So wth are you talking about? Who said anything about being "cool or hip"  stop trying to change the narrative thanks. I'm literally telling you why and how these smaller games have MMO gameplay and you won't accept it because it's coming from me. Everything I say on this website you have always have something to say about it. You go out of your way to try and prove me wrong and end up looking lost so you try to change the narrative. Make the whole thing about something else. 

No, not today. Today you will Stay your ass on topic. It's about MMO being a Descriptor of a type of game. That's what I'm talking about. That's what it is. MMO is describing ESO, Destiny, Anthem, F76, Division all at the same time yes. That's what they are. 

You can say anything you want, MMO-Lite, New-MMO, whatever, MMO has to be in there because that's what these games are doing. 

MMO used to be a Buzzword, then it was a Genre, now its a descriptor. If you cant respond to that without changing the topic please don't respond.  
    Iselin

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 6,867
    Okay, I don't agree that a game needs to have thousands of players online to be one MMO, but this is not one MMO.

I don't call Conan, GTA V Online, Ark, etc... MMO's, os Fallout 76 to me falls on the category of those, one online persistent game that doesn't really scale up in the MP aspect, such as say GW2 where ~150peeps per big map but thousands in total on a single game-world.
    klash2def

Discussion / Fallout 76 is indeed an MMORPG

I didn't write that btw Suzie did. Did you tell her it's not an MMO? If no, why? How come when I say it, its an issue @Iselin ?  

Did you think Suzie means Fallout76 is like World of Warcraft? (I doubt that's what she's saying)

I bet she's saying its an MMO as in the descriptor as in its doing the same things as the MMOs we grew up with. It has all those elements. I'm sure that's what she meant. 

So again this is an example of how people today use the term MMO when referring to a type of game.

MaxBacon said:
    Okay, I don't agree that a game needs to have thousands of players online to be one MMO, but this is not one MMO.

I don't call Conan, GTA V Online, Ark, etc... MMO's, os Fallout 76 to me falls on the category of those, one online persistent game that doesn't really scale up in the MP aspect, such as say GW2 where ~150peeps per big map but thousands in total on a single game-world.
    Interesting because before all of those games there was GW1. It's listed an MMORPG. It does the same instancing less MP thing as GTA Online, or Destiny etc

klash2def said:
    Interesting because before all of those games there was GW1. It's listed an MMORPG. It does the same instancing less MP thing as GTA Online, or Destiny etc
    I played GW1, people tended to call it CCO, Competitive-Cooperative, Online Game, or Co-RPG.

I've always saw the MMO term around but when discussed in depth the terminology was more specific.
    klash2def
    MaxBacon said:
    klash2def said:
    I played GW1, people tended to call it CCO, Competitive-Cooperative, Online Game, or Co-RPG.

I've always saw the MMO term around but when discussed in depth the terminology was more specific.
    Same, I played too. I remember people simply calling it an MMORPG, there weren't all these different categories back then.

When I googled it the first thing I saw today in 2018: 

Guild Wars is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) series

So that means most people would call it an MMORPG or MMO. I never heard anyone say its a CCO. Matter of fact that's the first time I heard that in relation to GW

klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:

de·scrip·tor
    dəˈskriptər/
    noun
      • LINGUISTICS

MMO - Type of game

TFW when you don't realize ESO is a heavily instanced online game. Just like Destiny, just like Division. I cannot log into ESO and just find a person by running to them. No, I have to use travel to player... you know why? In Destiny, I cannot just log in and fly to earth and meet my friends. No, I must "join fireteam" first. Same thing with the division. You know why?

So wth are you talking about? Who said anything about being "cool or hip"  stop trying to change the narrative thanks. I'm literally telling you why and how these smaller games have MMO gameplay and you won't accept it because it's coming from me. Everything I say on this website you have always have something to say about it. You go out of your way to try and prove me wrong and end up looking lost so you try to change the narrative. Make the whole thing about something else. 

No, not today. Today you will Stay your ass on topic. It's about MMO being a Descriptor of a type of game. That's what I'm talking about. That's what it is. MMO is describing ESO, Destiny, Anthem, F76, Division all at the same time yes. That's what they are. 

You can say anything you want, MMO-Lite, New-MMO, whatever, MMO has to be in there because that's what these games are doing. 

MMO used to be a Buzzword, then it was a Genre, now its a descriptor. If you cant respond to that without changing the topic please don't respond.  
    So in other words, no you have never set foot in Cyrodiil. It explains a lot actually. None of the phasing you talk about exists there. I at least tried to explain several pages ago why this matters to my definition of MMO.

Where is your explanation of what type of game meets your definition and why and more importantly, which online games don't and why? It should be easy for you to do since, as you keep saying, MMO is a descriptor. So tell us what it's describing to you.

And BTW, if you read the article before launching into your preachy stuff about why it's just some people that can't let go of old definitions, you'd know it was Bill, not Suzie that wrote this.
    klash2def
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
    klash2def said:
    Same, I played too. I remember people simply calling it an MMORPG, there weren't all these different categories back then.

When I googled it the first thing I saw today in 2018: 

Guild Wars is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) series

So that means most people would call it an MMORPG or MMO. I never heard anyone say its a CCO. Matter of fact that's the first time I heard that in relation to GW
    It couldn't be branded as one, the actual proper game-world was off-line co-op.

It's very misleading because GW1 was not more MMO than Warframe, and we don't see people labeling warframe of being an proper MMO.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,871
    klash2def said:
    MaxBacon said:

Ohh good , another example where the Dev/Pub knows they didnt make an MMORPG , you need to contact ArenaNet and notify them of there mistake ...lmao