Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenimax Accidentally Integrates Ad Spyware, Removing It Monday - Elder Scrolls Online News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageZenimax Accidentally Integrates Ad Spyware, Removing It Monday - Elder Scrolls Online News

It seems there were some crossed wires at Zenimax Online Studios, as the makers of Elder Scrolls Online accidentally flipped the switch on ad tracking software known as Redshell in a recent patch. It was apparently a tool they've been researching, but not one that was supposed to be on the live servers yet.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    "Researching" by checking to see if it is able to be integrated into live and actually implementing it? How is that even close to research?!!
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

Thupli said:

"Researching" by checking to see if it is able to be integrated into live and actually implementing it? How is that even close to research?!!

Yeah and checking if someone will notice as well...

I'm literally speechless that this happens few days after the new EU Privacy Law...
    BillMurphyPhryScotTuor7chocolate42069InteritusmapleluniiThupliinfomatz
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    well there goes customers trust.
    laseritLeFantomePhrychocolate42069Alomar
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited June 2018
    Lol I don't know why but I can't stop laughing when I see 'accidentally' in the title (nothing wrong with the title btw). I'm just imagining someone behind the scenes going "oops...." But if they honestly did it 'accidentally' waiting till Monday is tasteless. Sure you might have to pay weekend pay or whatever but at least it'll look like a genuine accident then. Otherwise people are just going to think you're trying to see how much data you can collect for testing until then (which will be a lot since there's more traffic over the weekend).
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454
    edited June 2018
    "Accidentally" Sure it was. image
    BillMurphyRemyVorender[Deleted User]Xingbairong3domPhryMrMelGibsonScotmrputtsTuor7and 13 others.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    "The ONLY purpose this would be used for is to determine from which origin points our new players come from, so we can better plan where to place advertisements and other web content."

So why again is it part of the game client? Sounds more like a website service...

By the time players have reached entering the game client... they are well past the point of "determine from which origin points" they came from and purchased a new copy of the game. Spyware in the game client is a little late to find out where someone new brought the game.

Also does ESO now have client/in-game ads? Last time i played i dont remember ads... so that makes no sense to be either.

Hmm, how about an honest answer what this is used for...because what you say and where the spyware is being utilised dont add up.
  • JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    lol not possible to accidentally do so.
    LeFantomedavc123
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205

Arskaaa said:

well there goes customers trust.

As far as mistakes go in the gaming world, this is a pretty minor one.
    Octagon7711Lambon23kaedian66Oyjord
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    LOL!

Joined - July 2004

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    We don't need advertisements in the game from 3rd party services....
    Phry
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

Renoaku said:

We don't need advertisements in the game from 3rd party services....

Don't think that's what they said it did, please read the entire story.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• SolancerSolancer Member UncommonPosts: 121
    My 2 cents, this just an excuse to data mine you and sell data to ads/HIV company or they are using it for themselves. Regardless, they say accident, but I say intentional. This is the sort of HOW far can shady companies can go, its more of a test than data mining at the end but selling it as an extra plus.

~ Next thing MMO companies want to access your webcam or you baby monitor, how far over reach can they go next ~
    AlomarBruceYeeJeffSpicoli
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Accidentally patching something into a game? thats some amazing quality control they have going on. They should just admit they tried something that didn't work out or didn't fit in with the new guidelines, rather than say it was an accident, which is as ridiculous an excuse as the dog eating your homework. :p
    Alomardavc123BruceYeeThupli
  • AlpiusAlpius Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Solancer said:
    My 2 cents, this just an excuse to data mine you and sell data to ads/HIV company or they are using it for themselves. Regardless, they say accident, but I say intentional. This is the sort of HOW far can shady companies can go, its more of a test than data mining at the end but selling it as an extra plus.

~ Next thing MMO companies want to access your webcam or you baby monitor, how far over reach can they go next ~
    I thought the same thing when I first heard this. Just like EA with BF2, they just wanted to see how far they could push it. Getting kind of tired of this stuff.
    Solancer
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Well it seems I "accidentally" installed this piece of crap into my PC... actually I did, I clicked on ESO the other day but not intentional as I have it in my taskbar and I was playing Conan Exiles in Windowed mode where somehow my cursor ended up going beyond the damn window... Anyway, yeah, seems I managed to end up with this piece of crap on my PC, I do hope it's easily removed cus from the sounds of things I sure as hell don't want it!
    Solancer

imageimage

• shassellshassell Member UncommonPosts: 105
    "We will learn from our mistakes..." You never have done before. That's why you have a boring spy ware infested game.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691
    edited June 2018
    https://forums.funcom.com/t/why-are-conan-exiles-sending-data-to-redshell/5043
    Failcom did the same... - ----------------Hey all, Sorry for the concern regarding this. We actually intended to disable Red Shell, and we did - but one of the modules was still active, which lead to a crash. We’ll fully disable and remove Red Shell for now, but please understand that we may still continue using analytics services for Co…

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Having this in the game for an entire weekend is absurd. Yet, thinking of using it to begin with is atrocious.
    BruceYee
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,112
    Data mining/ data analytics is big money these days, it really has nothing to do with the game or advertising on their end at all, it's about harvesting and selling your information.
    SandmanjwScotchUpBruceYee
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741
    edited June 2018
    It was like the time I had to tell them: "Sorry guys but I accidentally switched on a cheat bot for ESO I was researching, I will remove it after the weekend once I finish my...research."

Come on they have given a laughable explanation, I expect better from Zenimax.
    [Deleted User]SolancerAlomarAsm0deusd_20centkin
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Accidental...umm what the odds anyone thinks i believe that?
    Well i guess it is possible for the code to code itself,they simply turned the power on and walla instant code.
    BruceYee

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    could this be related to their decision to hire a new monetization designer? If so, then experimenting with ads(and user data collection for ad purpose) could mean a F2P version may be coming.

If so, i called it on the monetization designer thread. :p
    [Deleted User]

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

DMKano said:

The thing is - what % of players are they going to lose over this?

Hmm?

Probably less than 1% - so as much as we want to harp on this in forums - in reality those happy playing ESO aren't going to care about this at all.

Was this a shitty thing to do - yes without a doubt.

Still - the actual impact on players I think is going to be miniscule.

They might not lose current players, but potential future players can be off-put by this.
    mrputts
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Thupli said:

Yeah and checking if someone will notice as well...

I'm literally speechless that this happens few days after the new EU Privacy Law...

Exactly, not long after the new EU law came into effect, and why just Mac/PC?
    A bit of trust has gone with their mistake. After all we have to purchase the game and each DLC.
    or become a monthly subscriber to get the dlc's for free.
    Xingbairong
  • slowz2secretslowz2secret Member RarePosts: 398
    accidentally hahahahaha