Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Richard Garriott after Shroud of the Avatar?

2»

Comments

• DracSchniderDracSchnider Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Nilden said:
    Scot said:
    If Garriott made a game called "Money for my Retirement" I would still give it a look because past successes and failures do not guarantee anything about future games.
    After SotA I wonder how much support he would get on kickstarter?

I think he would get a lot of support.  considering SOTA twitch streams are generating 45-100k USD every month.  There are still many people backing this.
    Diabhual
  • RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174
    edited June 2018
    Aw geez... I want to believe in this guy.  I've been playing Ultima games since Exodus, and I loved UO, but it's going to take a lot for me to get behind another one of the titles.  Like a previous poster said, make a good game, and I'm in.  Sure, I agree with that, but I'll need to take a scrutinizing look at the game as it nears launch, and I darn sure won't be crowdfunding any concept.

Edit: To be clear, I absolutely don't think he is past the point of no return.  He can be redeemed along with his legacy, much like Darth Vader.  However, it will be tough to turn him, and he'll probably have to be carried by Luke and a solid dev team.

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited June 2018
    It really appears that for most,their first game was their best effort for obvious reasons,they NEEDED it to sell.

After that it is all about just making money with less care or NEED ,just ride the coattails of your first effort and name brand.

In the very early years of gaming ,there was loads of room to improve and improve easily but not anymore,now  games need tons more money and a lot more time to really show the improvements we need to see.

If we look at a couple of the really big stables,how can they improve upon the TYPE of mmorpg they made,it would be nearly impossible.FFXI>FFXIV,in this case there were some areas like graphics,better housing,EQ1>EQ2,rather than improve they went for a different TYPE of game,grouping to linear questing.
    So what would Blizzard do to improve from a WOW>WOW 2,i doubt anything as Blizzard has never understood the grouping aspect of gaming,they simply create single player type games then because Wow was an online MMO they added coop instance/dungeon groups.So then what,an EQ1 or FFXI type ,i highly doubt it,better housing,nah not worth the effort cost to just add something they could have added in WOW,so i don't see them ever improving the genre.

Bigger picture,there is most certainly room to improve in ALL systems within a mmo+rpg,just nobody has shown me the effort or ability they know HOW,so we are stalled in a very long waiting period as we sift through endless repeats of FORMER producers just repeating all they know.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Yes. As long as its Tabla Rosa 2... :)
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Nilden said:
    Scot said:
    If Garriott made a game called "Money for my Retirement" I would still give it a look because past successes and failures do not guarantee anything about future games.
    After SotA I wonder how much support he would get on kickstarter?

I think he would get a lot of support.  considering SOTA twitch streams are generating 45-100k USD every month.  There are still many people backing this.

Mad views bro.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/