Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bless - Review in Progress - First Steps & Early Days - MMORPG.com

Comments

• SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 536
    If the first impression is cuter than the later on review you got it backwards.

I'm sorry I'm a "dick", but I was literally staking out the MMORPG initial meatball pitch to Bless Online and lo and behold...

You guys could turn Wolverines claws into plastic butter knives.
    You must not have ever had a girl/boyfriend, 'cause the first impression is always better than the long-term impression. 

It's easier to overlook minor flaws the first 10-20 hours of gameplay, but as the grind starts to set in all those little things you didn't mind start to grate on your last nerve. 
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 536
    Torval said:
    Splattr said:
    I agree the combo system is very rigid and some combos don't make sense. My biggest combo issue so far has been a melee attack followed by 2 ranged attacks. Sorta silly to run up and then do the ranged.

As far as missed attacks ending combos, I would expect that. Seems "realistic" that if a link in the chain breaks, the chain ain't no good no more.
    A problem I have on my mage (and I'm only level 6) is that I don't have (or can't find) the feedback to know when I can launch my next skill.

I launch a skill, it lands. 

Combo timer starts.

I click 'r' but nothing happens. I wait a slight moment and click it again and it works. I can't queue the next combo so I end up spamming r or t after my first attack lands. That feels clunky to me.

I want one of two things: 1) let me queue up the next combo attack -or- 2) give better visual feedback so I can do it like a QTE (quicktime event). Basically I want more input control over combat.

Also since I'm on tab-target at the moment the hud gets in the way of RMB movement because it doesn't clickthrough the hud. The tutorial should show you to switch between them. It might have early on. My tutorial bugged out for a bit when I first played.

The combat does feel punchy and impactful when I do get the timing right. 
    I get where you're coming from here. A lot of players have complained about combat lag, but I think it's more what you're describing.

As a pally, the basic combo shoots off almost as quickly as you can spam the buttons, but others have a much slower cadence. The more I use certain combos the better I have gotten, but you are right, there is nothing that helps you figure it out besides trial and error. I have found that the longer I have played, the better I am getting though, so I am hoping once I get all my skills I will be able to get the timing down, and even be able to smoothly move between stances. I better because I hate spamming buttons.

I think the main problem here is, as you said, there isn't any visual or tactile feedback, because, let's face it, global cooldowns have made us all lazy. For those who like PVP I think the way the combo system works will be a big differentiator between players who have skill and those who don't, me being one of the latter.
    [Deleted User]nycplayboy78
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,112
    I wonder if they just keep releasing this game in such a state in hopes that someone will give them ideas on what to do to fix it. Why has it taken 3 iterations of the game to fix an obvious dupe issue? Do they think NA players just have higher standards and they will always know what to point out to fix? I wanted to buy this game, and I had hoped the NA launch would be better, and improved, but nope
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I find the whole spectacle fascinating. 

It's always funny and interesting that people see the same game and some think it's going to be amazing and others (like myself) think it is clearly going to be a shitshow. I am almost flabbergasted how anyone could even think the game would be even close to "good" with all the obvious red flags about the game. 

I also find the criticism of this game really weird. Every mmo I have played has had major stability/gameplay issues on launch. Many have had "dupes" etc especially early on. Then there are the people complaining about the graphics, which I find crazy. This is undoubtedly a beautiful looking game filled with great art and beautiful/memorable locations.

The game is clearly not for me since I don't like grindy pve games and detest having to grind loads of pve to be viable at pvp, but the over-the-top crying and whining about it is almost amusing. 
    MikehaEponyxDamormaskedweasel
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    The graphics on the game are amazing in my opinion just watching from twitch
    YashaX
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,875
    The graphics are nice.
    [Deleted User]

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    edited June 2018

I assume the reason is what we put value in. I, for one, put value in innovation, polish, and graphics. Hence, this game fails masterfully in 2 of the 3 parts.
    I don't think it has anything to do with what one puts value in but what one doesn't consider a a game breaker. THAT'S the core of it.

Who doesn't want innovation, polish and great graphics. But if something doesn't have innovation, polish or great graphics are they deal breakers?

So, for example, Lord of the Rings online wasn't innovative, I suppose it had polish in some things and not in others and only really had good graphics in the world. Yet people play it and love it.

It's not about the good things but whether or not the bad things are deal breakers.

edit: and I have to say that's always the case with me. I always want the best but if I don't get the best it's never a deal breaker. And all the things people think are deal breakers for them are rarely deal breakers for me.

EponyxDamorYashaXwingoodMikeha
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,171
    The graphics on the game are amazing in my opinion just watching from twitch
    Considering its DX9 I've been pretty impressed. 

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Sovrath said:

I assume the reason is what we put value in. I, for one, put value in innovation, polish, and graphics. Hence, this game fails masterfully in 2 of the 3 parts.
    I don't think it has anything to do with what one puts value in but what one doesn't consider a a game breaker. THAT'S the core of it.

Who doesn't want innovation, polish and great graphics. But if something doesn't have innovation, polish or great graphics are they deal breakers?

So, for example, Lord of the Rings online wasn't innovative, I suppose it had polish in some things and not in others and only really had good graphics in the world. Yet people play it and love it.

It's not about the good things but whether or not the bad things are deal breakers.

edit: and I have to say that's always the case with me. I always want the best but if I don't get the best it's never a deal breaker. And all the things people think are deal breakers for them are rarely deal breakers for me.

Hi buddy, 

It's an issue of semantics. A deal breaker to a person may be because you place a lot of value on it and thus it has to be right or it is a deal breaker. That's the way I look at it. I think you are saying deal breaker and, myself, saying a ton of value. I think it is the same. As if you place a lot of value on it and it's not there, then it's a deal breaker. 

Also, I'm not the person that needs the best, it's just that a game has to be innovative and something different. I'm at the point where I feel all MMO's are generic and thus I don't even bother. Graphics have to be good enough or else I won't play it, and polish should ideally be there but that's far off from innovation from me. 

Also, what I place value in changes over time. It wasn't always innovation that was important to me, but after too many generic MMO's, it is now a high value. 

To circle around. 

The real deal breaker for me on Bless was truly the complete and utter lack of anything new. I love the graphics and the polish I could get over. But it isn't really different than Tera, AA, or BDO in a way it plays. 

Now if they added a real world economy or a permadeath mode . . . I probably would have tried it to be honest. I can forgive the bugs. 

Sincerely, 

Cryomatrix

maskedweaselSovrathMikeha
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    If you're here for the great World PvP experience, the thing which is gonna save Bless, start this at minute 4:00 and watch until 6:20 and then share your views please.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Torval said:
    Splattr said:
    I agree the combo system is very rigid and some combos don't make sense. My biggest combo issue so far has been a melee attack followed by 2 ranged attacks. Sorta silly to run up and then do the ranged.

As far as missed attacks ending combos, I would expect that. Seems "realistic" that if a link in the chain breaks, the chain ain't no good no more.
    A problem I have on my mage (and I'm only level 6) is that I don't have (or can't find) the feedback to know when I can launch my next skill.

I launch a skill, it lands. 

Combo timer starts.

I click 'r' but nothing happens. I wait a slight moment and click it again and it works. I can't queue the next combo so I end up spamming r or t after my first attack lands. That feels clunky to me.

I want one of two things: 1) let me queue up the next combo attack -or- 2) give better visual feedback so I can do it like a QTE (quicktime event). Basically I want more input control over combat.

Also since I'm on tab-target at the moment the hud gets in the way of RMB movement because it doesn't clickthrough the hud. The tutorial should show you to switch between them. It might have early on. My tutorial bugged out for a bit when I first played.

The combat does feel punchy and impactful when I do get the timing right. 
    It honestly just sounds like you're lagging. Make a character to test with on a lower pop server and you'll see the huge difference. I'm sure that sort of thing will get better as they continue to work on the servers.

The RMB issue is driving a lot of us nuts. Go here- https://blessonline.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

And report the issue. The more people report that RMB issue the faster we can get them to comment on it and fix it.
    edited June 2018
    Orinori said:
    kitarad said:
    It's amusing that the argument is that other MMOs were worse and unstable..... hello that should not be the standard you should be expecting from your games when they're charging you money. You should be demanding and hell expecting better than that. Oh how low have we sunk that we accept such low standards now.
    I thought the argument was that it is just pretty standard for MMO launch, in fact from what I have been reading, it seems better than most.

What I find amusing are all the hysterical ninnies. 
    Honestly most of the big issues have been addressed already so compared to how long it takes other games to get to a good point, they're definitely fast learners and quick to respond.
    Ozmodan said:
    This isn't a "review", but rather a first impressions. Review is next week, folks. After he's had enough time to get to the end-game (or lack there of).
    Sorry Bill, but that cracked me up when you implied he gets to end game by next week.  That is exactly why I avoid these eastern MMO's you burn through them in no time.  Having the duping exploit still in the game when it was known about two years ago tells me all I need to know about the developers.

I wish those that like this sort of game lots of fun, but I would not expect that to last that long.
    Lol hitting max level is just the start in this game. It'll take a long time before you burn through it and by that time we'll have level 50 content.
    edited June 2018
    simmihi said:
    If you're here for the great World PvP experience, the thing which is gonna save Bless, start this at minute 4:00 and watch until 6:20 and then share your views please.

He has a few things wrong, here. Berserker has a great gap closer but it's in two other stances. He needs to equip one of those stances and switch to it if he wants better PvP. On my Pally I have two stances on while out solo leveling that will help me deal with random PvP encounters and he should, too.  He'd have no problem catching people with a proper skill build.

As for the Peace Declaration item, below level 45 it's a cheap vendor item and you get a bunch from quests that you can't even delete. It's only a cash shop item at max level.

Honestly I have no problem finding PvP on my server. I see people everywhere so it just finds me.
    IceDarkYashaX
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Can't tell you my oppinion about Bless yet. I am still trying to analyze what's going on in that first screenshot you posted in your article.
    Anthur said:
    Can't tell you my oppinion about Bless yet. I am still trying to analyze what's going on in that first screenshot you posted in your article.
    I think it's a cutscene from a Union side story quest.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Leiloni said:
    Anthur said:
    I think it's a cutscene from a Union side story quest.
    Sorry, my fault. I was talking about that combat scene. ;)
    edited June 2018

simmihi said:

Everyone just reviews mage gameplay, the most "broken" class as it is now. Please Bill, if you have any influence, ask him kindly to play a paladin for the review.

I have to agree that picking Mage was a bad idea. They're just really broken right now and you can get away with using one combo chain. I'm not even talking about the higher level one everyone memes about but just the first chain you get - it does lots of damage and is almost all instant cast. You can get away with spamming that for 90% of the leveling content.

Until the mage is fixed, the author is not going to get a good feeling at all of the combat in this game. I highly recommend switching to anything else. I'm enjoying my Paladin, but Ranger would also be a good idea, or Guardian.

Bill, I'd highly recommend having the author switch classes. It will provide for a far better reading experience and playing experience.
    IceDarkYashaXmaskedweasel
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    edited June 2018
    DMKano said:
    Now what players dont know about is the end game gear progession system - as usual in Korean MMOs its heavy HEAVY RNG based system that will make you question your sanity.

You will need a master blacksmith - easiest part, it takes about 3 weeks of heavy farming, about 150 hours for most players

Are you sure it takes that long to become a master blacksmith, I found a thread on Reddit and some people are saying they're already nearly a master armoursmith, which i am assuming is the same thing. 

how so crafting? Im also on the verge to be master armorsmith

Leveling crating is easy. Got mine to the cap before the quest day 1

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bless/comments/8not3j/regarding_the_bans_due_to_the_dupe_bug/
    Orinori
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    I'm having fun. The skill system is kinda hard to get used to and I'm still not quite sure what I'm upgrading in there, but my biggest problem is how to remap the combo keys for easier reaching. Hitting 1 or 2 then r takes my hands off the move keys which means I take a lot more hits than I should.
    Mikeha

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,875
    edited June 2018
    Can you use a 12 button mouse for the keys  I mean can you remap keys ?

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    edited June 2018
    Leiloni said:
    simmihi said:

He has a few things wrong, here. Berserker has a great gap closer but it's in two other stances. He needs to equip one of those stances and switch to it if he wants better PvP. On my Pally I have two stances on while out solo leveling that will help me deal with random PvP encounters and he should, too.  He'd have no problem catching people with a proper skill build.

As for the Peace Declaration item, below level 45 it's a cheap vendor item and you get a bunch from quests that you can't even delete. It's only a cash shop item at max level.

Honestly I have no problem finding PvP on my server. I see people everywhere so it just finds me.
    The fact that they locked a gap closer to a stance and didn't put it on their 4-7 skills is just stupid to me. Gap closers are immensely useful in both pvp and pve, and its absolutely required in pvp. How does it make sense for them to force Zerkers into a specific stance in order to do well?

Wasn't the whole thing about stances supposed to be about giving the player choice? Sticking their gap closer in the stance isn't giving them a choice. It's like having a choice between a 100 dmg skill and a 10,000 dmg skill.

Not to mention zerker's gap closer uses rage which is just beyond stupid. Charge skills(gap closer not power up) should always either cost 0 or give rage, not cost it. They're often used to initiate combat, you have 0 rage at the start of combat which means you can't use your gap closer. So dumb.
    maskedweaselBananaSoup

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

kitarad said:
    Can you use a 12 button mouse for the keys  I mean can you remap keys ?
    No it doesn't appear that you can for keys they don't already have available for mapping.  In some cases you can remap them, and it says they are remapped but they aren't actually remapped.

Leiloni said:

simmihi said:

Everyone just reviews mage gameplay, the most "broken" class as it is now. Please Bill, if you have any influence, ask him kindly to play a paladin for the review.

I have to agree that picking Mage was a bad idea. They're just really broken right now and you can get away with using one combo chain. I'm not even talking about the higher level one everyone memes about but just the first chain you get - it does lots of damage and is almost all instant cast. You can get away with spamming that for 90% of the leveling content.

Until the mage is fixed, the author is not going to get a good feeling at all of the combat in this game. I highly recommend switching to anything else. I'm enjoying my Paladin, but Ranger would also be a good idea, or Guardian.

Bill, I'd highly recommend having the author switch classes. It will provide for a far better reading experience and playing experience.
    Well lo and behold todays patch balanced the classes so I don't think that's a problem anymore.  Besides, have you played the mage?  Not as easy as you think.  In the early game you can get away with a single combo from paladin too, at least prior to the patch, and it was even better than the mages because it has inherent crowd control in it and no cool down.  In comparison the mages fire tactic skill utilizing meteor strike does a lot of damage but you can't spam it, the skills have a cooldown, and no CC, so if you miss at the high level on a strong mob or a group, you can get screwed pretty quickly.
    [Deleted User]

• BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180

They made this game so easy now its almost like an insult... I cant believe there are people who actually enjoy it.
    ESO started out the same way.  Every boss fight at the end of a quest line was a challenge and life was short if you didn't have a decent build.  When the masses came in there were complaints all over the place and everything was dialed down.  What it comes down to is casuals out number hardcore which means a game makes more money over the long run.  
    There are no mythical "hardcore gamers". They are no-lifers.
    Mikeha