Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rat Labs LLC Acquires Exclusive License to Relaunch a Classic - The Realm Online News

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616

imageRat Labs LLC Acquires Exclusive License to Relaunch a Classic - The Realm Online News

Rat Labs LLC has sent word that it has obtained the license for The Realm Online, one of the oldest MMOs ever made. The team has

Read the full story here

Comments

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Sweet. I used to play this one.
    Thunder073
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Was a fun game in its time , i will jump back in for some nostalgia , It also had an amazing community
    Thunder073
  • rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    cool some of us have never left ive been playin realm since like 98 lol still to this day i play on and off.
    Thunder073Scorchien
  • wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    My 1st mmo :)
    Scorchien
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Can they buy Asherons call next please?
    Phry
  • itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    release day ?

wait you can play now ?

itsover said:
    wait you can play now ?
    The new server is down , Legacy and Beta are up

Scorchien said:

itsover said:

wait you can play now ?

when did they let you play the game, a while back I though it been shut down.

itsover said:

Scorchien said:

itsover said:

wait you can play now ?

when did they let you play the game, a while back I though it been shut down.

well Legacy you can sub on to play .. Beta is for testing .. New Live server is 6/1
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    DrunkWolf said:

there is a really good version of AC emulator out there, with devs adding content continually
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Myrdynn said:
    DrunkWolf said:

there is a really good version of AC emulator out there, with devs adding content continually
    There's a couple of them actually. I played on the PvP one the other day and it worked great. Just have to jump through a lot of hoops to get it to work right.
  • lorddarkalorddarka Member UncommonPosts: 26
    i played this pos hehe wasnt this like the first real mmo? then ultima online crushed it and we never looked back
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2018
    Nostalgia is not a good reason,does this game offer anything BETTER than what i can get now,be it combat,crafting,housing,class design...anything?
    I LOVED the original Ultima games,bought them all,couldn't get enough of them but if i saw one on a rack for sale,i wouldn't buy it ,not even for $1.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232

Wizardry said:

Nostalgia is not a good reason,does this game offer anything BETTER than what i can get now,be it combat,crafting,housing,class design...anything?
    I LOVED the original Ultima games,bought them all,couldn't get enough of them but if i saw one on a rack for sale,i wouldn't buy it ,not even for $1.

I wouldn't buy you for 1$...
    RexKushman
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Went to the websites but could not find out anything about the game, except how to setup an account. Nothing about races, classes, leveling type, etc. Just nothing.

svann said:

Went to the websites but could not find out anything about the game, except how to setup an account. Nothing about races, classes, leveling type, etc. Just nothing.

You didnt look very hard the Wiki link is a big tab , right on the sites Front Page ....

http://realmserver.wikia.com/wiki/The_Realm_Online_Wiki
  • McShorty420McShorty420 Member CommonPosts: 2
    Lab Rats Ruined Realm... they replaced MR With Shrugging making wizards almost impossible to level.. they are removing HoZs and ruining the feel for realm.. when i mentioned this i got my rights revoked... Realm is has Hitlers for leaders.
  • McShorty420McShorty420 Member CommonPosts: 2
    And as a result They lost 6 Paying subs.. glad i didn't pay for a year like i intended.
  • Model192Model192 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    edited May 2018
    McShorty420 you're mad over HoZ? lol. That thing literally broke the game. Not only that, wizards are as strong as they've ever been in the realm. On the Mistwalker's server(where the new server is coming from) the wizard had the most 1k toons. The game is great and has been balanced. New areas made, massive improvements to all classes and balancing.
  • WernerRealmWernerRealm Member CommonPosts: 7
    A company as untrustworthy as Norseman who still owns the game. I would hard pass on this based off of the history of Rat Labs as well and how they managed to get the licensing rights to do this. This is a money grab folks, see it for what it is and avoid at all costs. Subscribe at your own risk!

Remember, the game is STILL owned by the fraudulent Wochholz family of "Norseman Games" and is being fronted by a group of folks that are just as dirty as them. Besides, there's free options out there if you look for them.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

A company as untrustworthy as Norseman who still owns the game. I would hard pass on this based off of the history of Rat Labs as well and how they managed to get the licensing rights to do this. This is a money grab folks, see it for what it is and avoid at all costs. Subscribe at your own risk!

Remember, the game is STILL owned by the fraudulent Wochholz family of "Norseman Games" and is being fronted by a group of folks that are just as dirty as them. Besides, there's free options out there if you look for them.

Can you explain why you feel the way you do about those companies? I'm interested in trying the game but don't know the history so any info would be appreciated.
  • WernerRealmWernerRealm Member CommonPosts: 7
    Sure. The company "Norseman Games" was notorious for charging credit cards on cancelled accounts as well as double charging accounts. I know that for myself I had to contact my bank a few times over the years to dispute charges and I know of multiple friends that also had the same issues. Aside from that, there was an employee of theirs that would routinely conjure items and sell them for real life cash on the side and then make said items disappear after getting the money. I know this cause a real life friend used to buy from him a lot.

As for Rat Labs, they were one group out of two that had created and ran private servers of the game because Norseman Games had stopped caring or doing anything for the game years prior. Their staff chose to DDoS the other private server at any chance they could to make their server the server of choice. Then NG and RL colluded to give Rat Labs the only official license and then send fake cease and desist letters to others involved in the other server. 

Not only that but it was said that a staff member of theirs has also harassed an ex team member of theirs. Now I don't know if that is true or not but everything else I can verify as being true so I tend to believe it. 

At the end of the day, supporting either "NG" or Rat Labs seems like a moral issue to me personally and I would urge anyone thinking of doing so to look into the history of both parties before making a decision.    
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    DMKano said:
    IMO as far as far as classic MMOs go - for me - this was one of the worst. 

Just never liked it.
    I've never even heard of it.....
  • Cannon_Fodder2018Cannon_Fodder2018 Member CommonPosts: 1
    Realm Online has come along way since early release back in the mid 1990's
    Although game play graphics have never changed through the years its still the Realm i loved and enjoyed to play at a much younger age. I am happy to say as a return player the new servers make this game once again really enjoyable. New items , new spells, Better Cave scaling, so much more!

Come and join us again or for those that are willing to take the Adventure look us up!
    Friendly gaming experience, Great Staff and most of all relaxation! perfect for ALL ages.
    Chats are well monitored and there is always games going on.

Come kill some ogres.. imps.. wolfs.. dragons and more!
    be part of the OLDEST game in the new year!