Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Detroit: Become Human [Please No Spoilers]

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
I've been watching this played on Twitch this weekend and am amazed at the scope of this game. The only negative I have about it is: "PS4 Exclusive." I'll never play it, thanks to this, but have enjoyed watching it. Has anyone seen or played this game yet?

Very generally, the game follows 3 androids' stories (Connor, Kara, and Markus). 2 of them (Kara and Markus) are trying to "become human", or what their manufacturer calls "deviants" and Connor is a prototype that helps the Detroit Police "capture deviants."

What first caught my eye was the inclusion of "Kara", the android who begged for her life in that PS3 Demo trailer a few years back. She is now an android you can help through her story.

The next part that floored me was the "story flowchart." After each part of an individual's story has many "branches" and based on your decisions, you follow the flow chart to its end. Some branches are cut short (android death?) and others wend their way through the varying story parts. This allows for "replayability", which is a huge plus in my eyes. Because of the "flowchart feature", it is quite linear, but that makes sense in a heavily story driven game. In this "flowchart" screen, a player can check what decisions their PS Friends have chosen or what decisions the world chose (as a percentage). You can see if you chose what others did, or if your choices were "not the popular" ones :)

I'm looking forward to seeing some Twitch streamers finish their choices today, as it has been said it is about 8-10 hours of gameplay. I think CohhCarnage is saying he wants to play again and see what other decisions lead to :)

The graphics are gorgeous (as to be expected in 2018) but Cohh mentioned only a 30FPS frame rate. He also labeled the game "Like TellTale games done better." I'm not a fan of TellTale, so I can't say. The stories so far have been awesome with some emotion inducing scenes and choices.

All in all, I'm impressed with what they've done with the game. I hear that "Heavy Rain", back in the day for PS3 was quite similar, but I have no clue. I'd like to see that "story flowchart" in more RPGs :)

Has anyone seen or played this game yet? If so, what were your thoughts?

PS: Please keep spoilers to a minimum, even achievements could spoil for players.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2018
    AlBQuirky said:
    I've been watching this played on Twitch this weekend and am amazed at the scope of this game. The only negative I have about it is: "PS4 Exclusive." I'll never play it, thanks to this, but have enjoyed watching it. Has anyone seen or played this game yet?

Very generally, the game follows 3 androids' stories (Connor, Kara, and Markus). 2 of them (Kara and Markus) are trying to "become human", or what their manufacturer calls "deviants" and Connor is a prototype that helps the Detroit Police "capture deviants."

What first caught my eye was the inclusion of "Kara", the android who begged for her life in that PS3 Demo trailer a few years back. She is now an android you can help through her story.

The next part that floored me was the "story flowchart." After each part of an individual's story has many "branches" and based on your decisions, you follow the flow chart to its end. Some branches are cut short (android death?) and others wend their way through the varying story parts. This allows for "replayability", which is a huge plus in my eyes. Because of the "flowchart feature", it is quite linear, but that makes sense in a heavily story driven game. In this "flowchart" screen, a player can check what decisions their PS Friends have chosen or what decisions the world chose (as a percentage). You can see if you chose what others did, or if your choices were "not the popular" ones :)

I'm looking forward to seeing some Twitch streamers finish their choices today, as it has been said it is about 8-10 hours of gameplay. I think CohhCarnage is saying he wants to play again and see what other decisions lead to :)

The graphics are gorgeous (as to be expected in 2018) but Cohh mentioned only a 30FPS frame rate. He also labeled the game "Like TellTale games done better." I'm not a fan of TellTale, so I can't say. The stories so far have been awesome with some emotion inducing scenes and choices.

All in all, I'm impressed with what they've done with the game. I hear that "Heavy Rain", back in the day for PS3 was quite similar, but I have no clue. I'd like to see that "story flowchart" in more RPGs :)

Has anyone seen or played this game yet? If so, what were your thoughts?

PS: Please keep spoilers to a minimum, even achievements could spoil for players.
    Heavy Rain was a very unique gaming experience.  As is Life Is Strange if you've never played it, and Until Dawn (personally think Until Dawn is the best of the three for that genre).

I think Until Dawn is a console exclusive.  Not sure why Sony didn't market it better.  It was an excellent horror/thriller "choose your own adventure" (my label, not the industry's) game with great voice acting (including Hayden Panettiere of Heroes fame, and Remi Malek, the lead of the series Mr. Robot).

But yea, if Detroit is like those games, it's definitely worth a look.  If nothing else, it's a genre unlike any other.

EDIT- How could I forget Peter Stormare , everyone's friendly neighborhood drunken Russian (despite not being from Russia), in Until Dawn?!?
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    DMKano said:

For me it's a mixed bag.

The story is decent but too obvious - also the cringe factor is there at times - the game tries to hard to hit the emotional buttons, sometimes it does it well, but at other times it just falls flat. My problem is that it tries too hard so this takes away from something that it could be really awesome - it's about 7/10 because of this. Even with all the variance - the characters are so expected -  I felt it was bland, again they really could have had something amazing, but they just fell short.

Now the actual gameplay - starts out strong, and then it just fizzles in repetitiveness sadly. The decisions while impactful at first start to lose meaning near the end - so again - they just really fell short.

This is a game that at first seems amazing, but the more you play it, the flaws start to rear their ugly head and in the end - it's just a mediocre experience.

But it does start out amazing - too bad they couldn't sustain this for the whole game.

Just like Detroit the city - it went downhill for me.
    Cohh finished up his playthrough yesterday and I am with you about hit and miss. There are times when the game so obviously tries for an emotional reaction it gets ridiculous. I still really like the "story flowchart" feature, though :)

Basically, the game boils down to "Guess what the devs want you to say now.", which is why I hate any romantic attempts in any video game. It boils down to saying what the devs want, when they want in order to succeed. Some of the choices did not convey what the player wants conveyed. Sometimes, there were no choices, but that may have occurred due to a previous choice. There really is no "reason why" taken into account.

Anyway, CohhCarnage did a "Thoughts Video" after playing. He is a "positive gamer" and why I enjoy watching his channel, but negatives do not always get a lot attention, unless they make a game unplayable :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR