Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people get jealous of other players in game? or do they get jealous of other players?

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
You see, I never understood this. 

When you see a player in a game who has got everything and is so overpowered, why do people get jealous? I just look at it as a person focuses on different things. If a person has a ton of time, they can focus on grinding and getting all the good stuff. They earned that, right. Good for them. (cheating aside of course). 

When I play PoE, I usually never play enough to be able to fulfill my map of the atlas nor have godly gear (that's because I die) but also because i don't have the time to play as much as they do. I'm okay with that. They made their choice to play. I remember when I played WoW and I was running around in all blue gear and I'd see another guy with godly gear and I was like wow man, nice effort. I didn't feel jealous, they put their soul into the game and played hours and hours and they deserved what they got. 

Even if they bought their way to the top (not cheated), I'd still be think to myself, well, they make enough money or care enough to pay for the game. Good for them. 

I just recently started playing Magic: The Gathering. I bought a beginner deck only, but if i played someone with a $5k USD deck, I wouldn't be jealous, they put time and effort into it. You have to start somewhere. You go to the gym and see a cut and buff person you give them credit for all the work they put in right? 

Someone kicks your ass in LoL or starcraft II or whatever, you got to give them credit. (Ragequitting is okay too). Maybe what I think is going on, doesn't go on at all. It's just some people that complain about those with more time than others or who spend more money than others. 

I think it comes down to you get what you work for. If you work in RL to make money, then you may have enough money to blow on games to get awesome, if you prioritize video games, then you give up money in RL to get awesome in video games. Either way, you get what you strive for. When I hear about "whales" spending 20-30k on neverwinter, I'm like DAMN, but hey, if they can spend that on a video game, then they must be doing something right. I don't get jealous, I am just like, if you feel the need to spend 20-30k on a video game you are either super loaded or super addicted or both. 

If I see a person driving a rolls royce or a lambo, I don't get jealous, I am just like DAMN SON!!! I am sure they worked hard for it. They weren't wasting their nights playing video games like i've been doing. 

Oh well, I wonder what your thoughts are. I feel like people get jealous, but may be I am just wrong. I guess it all depends on where a person is in their lives. It is a lot easier for me to not be jealous at 37, then it was at 24 based on what was going on in my life. 

Cryomatrix

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
ZenJellyShana77

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    The have nots will always be jealous of the haves, until no one has anything and everyone becomes have nots

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Envy is one of humanity's baser emotions, but at times can be one heck of a motivator.

GorweAlBQuirky[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited May 2018
    My issue is two issues that combine to create one big issue.

1. People at the top are not humble.

Very rarely do you meet someone with the highest level, the best gear, etc. who doesn't think they are king dingaling and run around rubbing their accomplishments in everyone else's noses. Or perhaps that's just my perception since the ones who do are so loud. 

2. It doesn't take skill, but they pretend it does.

Devoting all your time or money to a game doesn't really measure... anything meaningful in a positive way at all. It really is just a measure of either how much time you threw at the game or how much money in 99% of cases. Most of them will be like "I just know how to advance better than you." but in games like ArcheAge where you can friend people without their consent and track when they are online, you'll notice the top players rarely ever aren't online. So there is their method. Never log off.

Basically this combines to create some of the most annoying people on earth. People who devote their lives to menial tasks and think that makes them someone because they have the shinier sword and then pretend this makes them better than people who do not. They are both useless to society as a whole, and conceited about it.

So I hold such individuals in contempt. Not really jealousy, just disdain.
    KyleranCryomatrixZoeMcCloskeyUngood
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    One of the seven deadly sins. Surely you don't think we can actually change that natural feeling .
    Chamber of Chains
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
     I just never give a shit myself what others have. Took me a few years before I bothered to make my first Legendary in GW2, and the only reason I did is because I had the stuff to make it so I figured why not? 

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Some people like to compete in any way they can.

Whether it's just getting "top score" or "server firsts" or more cosmetic collectibles than anyone else, competition always exists. People like to measure themselves against others in all walks of life, and especially in multiplayer games.
    Kyleran
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    People will compete over anything and everything.  Even who is the most austere or humble if it comes down to it.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    The worst mindset you can have in gaming is "I have to win"....Game companies have made millions upon millions from that player.
    AlBQuirky
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    Honestly, I've never been jealous of anyone in a video game (not even for real life things), age makes no difference. Yes, I've looked at players and wanted what they had, but I always found a way to get what they have, eventually. 

If the player had to pay thousands of dollars to get what they have, and if many people seem to have done the same, I will simply move on to another game. For me, it's not about being the best, but I won't play a game if I am at max level, and they can one hit me because they spent thousands of dollars on gear. 

I may not be old, but I'm at a point in my life where I value doing other things than living in a digital world. Yes, I still spend hours in some games, but it's not the same as it used to be when I was in my teens. Jealousy is a waste of time if you want something bad enough you'll find a way to get it.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    They pay for it so they can have it , i do jealous when people get jackpot , but they earn it with they luck .
    I do GG (aka rage quit) because it waste of time when the match is know who are winner . Those who again it are those who too prideful to know when to quit .

But when the game get unbalance while it can be balance or while it can be better then i say my opinions .
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Back when we did the raiding race it was a matter of pride to be first and it was a good motivator to push forward. If someone had better gear you wanted it too. As a competitive game its still mediocre, PvP is far too much about gear and setup, PvE is about time commitment.

On amateur level magic the gathering is the epitome of P2W. If you want any chance to be competitive you have to spend money and you constantly end up doing sacrifices in your deck because of costs.

Nowadays I play bridge competitively but I definitely can spot jealousy among some people. Girl that I paired up with from the start did get the opportunity to play with really solid players and there were a lot of jealousy among the older ladies since she did better than them. However, part of it was fueled by being bit of a drama queen.

When we play tournaments its all about competitive spirit and nothing about jealousy. The anger you feel is about mistakes you and your partner makes. Still, sometimes you curse the RNG because the variation on each hand can screw you up but then again everyone experiences the same hand. 
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    What Cryomatrix is asking is why does jealousy exist? Because it is pervasive in all gaming and the real world.

I could talk about our psychological obsession with "things"; or the social context of the media's influence, making us want it all for no effort on our part.

Instead I will just say, as long as you don't have more than me we don't have a problem.
    KyleranSpottyGekko
    edited May 2018
    Scot said:
    What Cryomatrix is asking is why does jealousy exist? Because it is pervasive in all gaming and the real world.

I could talk about our psychological obsession with "things"; or the social context of the media's influence, making us want it all for no effort on our part.

Instead I will just say, as long as you don't have more than me we don't have a problem.
    I look with suspicion at anyone claiming they never experience envy or other base emotions, wonder if they can also walk on water or raise the dead as well.

Me, I'd always sink....

;)
    Scot[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyWaan

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    If another player has something I can earn, I won't be jealous.  If it's something I can buy with $20 or less, that's ok too.  But if there's an imbalance in the game design that I can't put any effort towards fixing, or if there's something that's a random really low chance, then I might be unhappy about those kind of things.  That's precisely why I consider class imbalances and excessive randomness/excessive rareness to be bad game design, and I think it's a large part of the reason there's a legal push-back against gamble boxes right now.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Must have shinies.  B)
    Scot

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited May 2018
    ikcin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

I look with suspicion at anyone claiming they never experience envy or other base emotions, wonder if they can also walk on water or raise the dead as well.

Me, I'd always sink....

;)

OK, I never get jealous about things in the games - if someone pays hundreds or thousands real money for toons - this is his own problem and passion. For me games are made to be played, but not to live there.
    I've got a pet dog about to pass on, when he finally does I'll be giving you a call.

Er..nevermind, likely to come back as a PVP zombie and try to kill me.

;)

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    But , where do babies come from?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Scorchien said:
    But , where do babies come from?

One of the best thread stoppers I have ever seen. :)
    Scorchien
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    I don't get jealous in games, except when people buy their success.
    Games are not RL, and most people play as a sort of escapism from problems and the restrain of real life.

For that reason, the last thing I want is the person who owns a $5 Million mansion in RL to also own a $5 Million mansion in game because they bought it with real money.
    This defeat the point of games where success is determined by how much time and effort you put in a game rather than how much money you have in RL.

That's why I am so critic about games that focus on the CS.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Jealous is too strong but envy is an emotion that I have often felt in real life and in games may be sometimes but that was in Everquest when I was not playing a cleric.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Do they though?

Personally I get annoyed at people who think I want the same as them. When I have this common, but cool looking mount that I want for that toon. They come up with their super rare purple and gold turnip mount and automatically assume that I am jealous of that atrocity.

I don't care for rare, just for whatever works for my toon. But the show offs somehow don't seem to get that.

Lately I have seen such ugly looking 'exclusive' mounts from ingame shops or from super rare drops in new instances and you always have those who immediately go batcrazy trying to get them, just to parade them around in some main hub, apparently not realising how ridiculous they look.

During those times, I only have respect for the devs that get away with designing that shit.
    GorweAlBQuirky
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I hate when a max level player with best in slot gear goes and stands in some newbie area to preen. And then, when the newbs ooh and ahh, the max level player doesn't speak to them, but instead pretends they don't exist.

Every time that happens God kills a kitten.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Amathe said:
    I hate when a max level player with best in slot gear goes and stands in some newbie area to preen. And then, when the newbs ooh and ahh, the max level player doesn't speak to them, but instead pretends they don't exist.

Every time that happens God kills a kitten.
    No. Every time the newbs don't ooh and ahh the vet gets triggered and launches into a tirade about how having that gear makes him twice the men they are, how much work it took, and if they tell him they just started or they have a life goes on about how that's a "meme" and they are just lazy / unskilled.

Then he goes and asks why everyone is so jealous of him. XD
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I never get jealous , Im usually in awe , like a child when someone has that shiny unattainable gear on. I'll usually PM then something along the lines of Nice gear, Or "You look cool" like the man child i am  :/  
    Cryomatrix
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    thunderC said:
    I never get jealous , Im usually in awe , like a child when someone has that shiny unattainable gear on. I'll usually PM then something along the lines of Nice gear, Or "You look cool" like the man child i am  :/  

I usually do that too. I do that in real life if they have an old classic or a sweet car.  I don't do it in PoE because I told myself I won't buy nice cosmetics until a character hits 80+. Since, they die usually before that, I never get to wear nice things in PoE. 

Cryomatrix
    JeffSpicoli
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations.