Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCsoft on the verge of shutting Guild Wars 2 down?!?!?!

124»

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member RarePosts: 3,283
    ysquare21 said:
    This makes no sense. NCSOFT doesn't own the rights to Guild Wars 2, Arenanet does. What they have is a partnership. Arenanet uses their server technology and NCSOFT gets a share of the profits. If NCSOFT doesn't feel like they get enough out of this arrangement then Arenanet will simply look for another partner or go at it alone.
    See, this is whats maddening. People take a little bit of information and because they have zero clue how anything else works start spreading misinformation and lies.

Arenanet is a subsidiary of NCsoft.

NCsoft wholly owns Arenanet 100%.

A subsidiary is technically a completely different company which is why Arenanet can act as a publisher. Activision, Blizzard and Activision Blizzard are all completely different companies with Activision and Blizzard being subsidiaries of Activision Blizzard.

Arenanet can NOT in any way look for a different "partner"
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,726
    I'd be really fucking surprised, considering GW2 has a HUGE playerbase. And they are definitely still pumping a lot of money into the game based on what I see on the exchange. So not very likely.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    They would only shut down GW2 if they are getting out of the MMO business. After CoX people were pissed off. If they shut down GW2 with minimal warning, people would stop playing their games. You don't want to put in all that time and effort only for them to shut it down.

Games like Auto Assault or Tabula Rasa had committed communities. But I would never compare them to CoX or the GW series in popularity.  Shutting down GW2 would cause irreparable damage to their rep. 
    wingoodDakeru
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Lets hope they don't shut down for a couple more months. I just bought the latest expansion, ultimate edition too.

I wonder if I can finally find a class I like. I do like the world a lot.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 2,909
    Better make a new thread about how Blizzard is going to shut down WoW, you know to complete the blatant stupidity.
    NephethkitaradDakeru

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

• viddiotviddiot Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Thats crazy. GW2 is very much alive. I would be stupefied if this was to happen. I play GW2 and love the game. 
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 429
    People still argue about this troll thread? What are u guys smoking?
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    They are still releasing season episodes which will likely lead to a third and possibly final expansion.

Revenue may be down but that is because its a 6 year old game which is the norm.

The playerbase is very transient as it is a true B2P game. Basically they release a new map every few months which brings people back and then add new RNG and non-RNG skins and items in the cash shop. It still makes a decent amount of money.

Over the last 6 years Anet has become pretty good at rapidly pumping out content and there have been unconfirmed rumors of a new Anet game in the works which might be GW3.