Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCsoft on the verge of shutting Guild Wars 2 down?!?!?!

Comments

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 516
    To the OP,

If Guild Wars 2 shuts down, it would be ANet's doing, not NCSoft's.

Stop following the financials of corporations (unless you have stock options with them).  Your time would be better spent worrying about your own retirement funding than that of some company that makes 500 times more than you on an very bad day.  

You want to see really scary numbers?  Just look at your own financial situation.  They say we all should have accumulated 2 million dollars by the time we retire.  That we should be putting aside the maximum each year in our 401Ks (that's 18.5K per year for you youngin's and 24K for those past 50 years).   Most people haven't.  A bean counter would say you were financially in terrible shape.  See how easy it is to look at numbers and get a dismal opinion?
    alkarionlogSwampySack
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,238
    Troll thread please close it.
    CelciusTheScavengerSignexSwampySackGorwe
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,083
    I am seeing some of the usual suspects including the OP for this sort of wind up. GW2 is not going anywhere. :)
    SignexPhry

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,320

What do you guys think?
    How much did the make compared to how much they spend?

that's what I think.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited May 2018
    Dakeru said:

What do you guys think?
    I think among all the click bait titles you made over the years this is by far the cheapest.

So empty and with the only purpose to rile up people that I consider it a foul troll thread.
    Agree.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,562
    ArenaNet self-publishes GW2 these days. NCsoft is only a stakeholder. They can't "shut it down". Move on. :D
    SBFordDakeruSovrathblueturtle13maskedweaselPanther2103Octagon7711CelciusJeroKanePhry

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    I can't stand GW 2 myself but it is apparently doing rather well, both in terms of player base and financials.  To even consider something like this would be foolish.  I mean I wouldn't miss it but come on, it's probably in the top 3 or so as far as number of active players goes.
    Gorwe
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    In other words,diddly diddly doo.
    Phry
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,222
    I can't stand GW 2 myself but it is apparently doing rather well, both in terms of player base and financials.  To even consider something like this would be foolish.  I mean I wouldn't miss it but come on, it's probably in the top 3 or so as far as number of active players goes.
    I don't like it either, but for it to shut down? Preposterous.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,322
    GW2 won't be shut down by NCsoft as they don't own the game anymore. If they are doing bad enough to the point where the game is failing, then Arenanet would have to be the ones shutting it down. But from what I understand, the game itself is still doing quite good. If I log in, and go to any area, I see people everywhere. It's still doing okay in population.

Plus based on your post you completely skipped over Wildstar, which is still published by NCsoft, is doing horrible, and is still running. 

NCsoft is known to shut down the games they are currently publishing if they aren't performing, but who knows anymore, with Wildstar still running maybe that means that they have changed. 
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 429
    Don't take him too serious. After this one,

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/470804/i-finally-did-it-next-goal-is-to-get-the-next-mmorpg-com-rank

I don't take him serious enough to answer his discussions. He's just looking for attention...
    VerenathDakerurertezGorweTheScavengerSwampySack
  • VerenathVerenath Member UncommonPosts: 59
    What a worthless post.  Moving on.

-Verenath-

• cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 6,410
    OP I think you would do well in a Russian troll farm.
    DakeruTheScavenger
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,713
    Nepheth said:

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/470804/i-finally-did-it-next-goal-is-to-get-the-next-mmorpg-com-rank

I don't take him serious enough to answer his discussions. He's just looking for attention...
    Yeah he also once admitted picking up the random brainfarts of people he finds on reddit to post them here.

He only cares about getting clicks and votings - nothing else.
    TheScavenger
    Harbinger of Fools
  • cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 6,410
    edited May 2018
    Dakeru said:
    Nepheth said:

Yeah he also once admitted picking up the random brainfarts of people he finds on reddit to post them here.

He only cares about getting clicks and votings - nothing else.
    I regret the WTF I gave him, it only encourages people like him. They enjoy accolades even negative ones.

I withdrew the WTF.
    DakeruTheScavengerSwampySack
  • ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 2,010
    NCsoft still owns ArenaNet.
    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,856
    I login at all hours and usually see lots of players.  Even when they put overpriced fluff in the cash shop I see players who have bought the latest shiny, so the cash shop appears to still be popular.  Forums posting is also healthy.  Games doing well.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,586
    edited May 2018
    Outside of Wildstar that they ignore for some reason....

NCsoft closed city of heroes when sub was going down, but still making money
    They shut down Tabula Rasa very fast without giving it a chance
    They shut down auto assault very fast without giving it a chance (though more than TR)

Any time one of their games goes into decline or barely makes enough money (like city of heroes didn't make them enough money despite it being in the red) they shut the game down

With their track record, unless GW2 sales pickup, the vast decrease in revenue makes me believe NCsoft is in the thinking stages of "if next expansion does bad, we'll have to close GW2 or put it on lifesupport like Wildstar". And then they'll focus mostly on mobile games since that makes them a ton more money for much cheaper cost

What do you guys think?
    Not going to happen. GW2 is one of their games that makes them the most money and their biggest game in the West.  
    Micro_Cuts
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,322
    Shaigh said:
    That doesn't matter in the context of shutting their game down. Arenanet is just a subsidiary of NCsoft. NCsoft isn't the publisher for GW2 anymore, Arenanet is. For them to force a shutdown of the game, they would probably have to shut down Arenanet themselves. 
  • ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 2,010
    Shaigh said:
    That doesn't matter in the context of shutting their game down. Arenanet is just a subsidiary of NCsoft. NCsoft isn't the publisher for GW2 anymore, Arenanet is. For them to force a shutdown of the game, they would probably have to shut down Arenanet themselves. 
    NCsoft never published GW2 themselves, that was NC west. Both NC west and ArenaNet operates under NC west Holdings so it was just a restructuring on which subsidiary handled things with GW2.

The bottom line is ncsoft can do whatever they want with GW2 because as the owner they can fire and hire whoever they want at the top of ArenaNet that does what they feel like.
    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,642
    ArenaNet self-publishes GW2 these days. NCsoft is only a stakeholder. They can't "shut it down". Move on. :D
    Why would they not be able to shut it down? Isnt NCsoft the parent company of ArenaNet? Management at the parent company has more decision making power than the one at the subsidiary.
  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,150
    edited May 2018
    Why would they shut this down?  Currently in the game right now waiting for Tequatl to start and 4 maps are full here. lol this looks like a drunk post to me.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 2,865
    Im not surprised there's a retarded clickbait titled post, I'm surprised so many of you are addressing it seriously.....
    TheScavengerSwampySackGorwe
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,065

GW2.jpg 77.4K
    Gorwe

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,222
    Tiller said:
    Why would they shut this down?  Currently in the game right now waiting for Tequatl to start and 4 maps are full here. lol this looks like a drunk post to me.
    Or a clickbait post...