Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 1 just received a considerable graphical improvement

2»

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2018
    Are there still active players? I loved GW1 and still have the trilogy. Don't know if I could ever figure out my old account info but if there's players maybe I'll give it a shot to replay some of it. 
    If you played GW2, ANET linked GW1 to your GW2 accounts. I contacted them regarding my GW1 credentials and they told me just that. Tried logging in to GW1 with my GW2 account and voila! it worked, all my progress was still there. EDIT: but i don't know if they linked them when i contacted them or if it was a global update. They just told me they linked my account so i could use GW2 credentials on both games. I didn't even asked for that, but i love it.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I was able to get my account back.  I barely remembered any of the details, but I remembered enough that the GM linked the old GW account to my GW2 one. Only thing that was iffy was the email address, since it was an NCsoft one, but I was close enough to how it was spelled that it got by (with the other info I had).

Now can play again :) Its been a long time. 

At least support is good as well to help retrieve old accounts...I've had some MMO customer support not even do that lol. So its nice support is good, even if it did take a few days to get it worked out. I'd rather it take a few days than not at all and just bot spam replies lol
    Your lucky
    I couldn't get my old account back and they claimed they couldn't help me. 
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited May 2018
    Are there still active players? I loved GW1 and still have the trilogy. Don't know if I could ever figure out my old account info but if there's players maybe I'll give it a shot to replay some of it. 
    Well, pre-searing is actually surprisingly active. It has "almost" as many people in the town as I remember when I played years ago, but not like its prime of course.

I just started a new character however, so I can only talk about pre-searing activity for this post. But it looks active in the starting area. Actually looks more active than I thought it be tbh for an older game, so the graphical update must have brought quite a few people back.

I imagine however "endgame" areas probably be a lot less people, since reading up on it it seems some stuff is hard to get groups for (pre-graphics update). On the reddit subsection people are asking for a full 12 party of AI members since (the reasons most posted) most people already either did the questlines or/and not enough people to do them. 

But I can't talk about that as a personal experience since like I said, just started again. Its just what I read. 

(edit:

pre-searing starting town has two active districts, I got put in district 1 and its pretty populated enough I guess to make a 2nd district. But like I said, just started over so dunno how post-searing looks like

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Hariken said:
    I was able to get my account back.  I barely remembered any of the details, but I remembered enough that the GM linked the old GW account to my GW2 one. Only thing that was iffy was the email address, since it was an NCsoft one, but I was close enough to how it was spelled that it got by (with the other info I had).

Now can play again :) Its been a long time. 

At least support is good as well to help retrieve old accounts...I've had some MMO customer support not even do that lol. So its nice support is good, even if it did take a few days to get it worked out. I'd rather it take a few days than not at all and just bot spam replies lol
    Your lucky
    I couldn't get my old account back and they claimed they couldn't help me. 
    I'd try again myself, at least if you do really want to play GW1 again. The first time I got a list of questions (like character names, email, street address at time of account creation etc), and I guess got some of those right. And actually I think the first two emails were a bot, but third email I replied to was an actual person since the typing completely changed lol.

I did have the CD key though since my copy is on steam. I dunno if you have a CD key or not saved somewhere, but it be a lot harder without it.
    rojoArcueid

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    I am overjoyed to see this!  I mean, I was happy with that small -lod update last month, but this is really awesome.  Loved this game since early '08 when I started playing, and I have never quit.  Been fortunate to remain in a supremely active alliance for a long time now and have people around me who were also hanging on here.  I never could stand GW 2 and have also been fortunate that ANet left the original going.  If this game were to shut down I do believe I would cry; I would miss it that much.  My SO and I got tons of enjoyment from GW 1.  She really doesn't play any more, although this might just get her to return.

Thanks to whomever did this!  The game still has a great (if small) community, so to see some life breathed back into it would make any of us old vets happy.
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited January 2019
    Wizardry said:
    This is more a case of allowing the graphics that should have been there day 1 instead of extremely limiting them/render distance.
    When i see LODfull it just tells me they were limiting the graphics,more just proving what i said from day 1,you get what you pay for.
    Wizardry, it's no secret to anyone that you have an opinion on seemingly *everything*, and 99.9% of the time it boils down to "-insert game- was/is/will be bad because it's not FFXI". However, you really should have sat this one out, because you're way over your head here, and talking utter nonsense.

They didn't improve the graphics themselves. Those full resolution models were always there, and could be displayed with GW1's "screenshot mode".

They used imposters/billboards for LoD to ensure that players at the time (circa 2004) could have an acceptable framerate during normal gameplay on a wide range of hardware. This command just disables the LOD and removes the billboards/LoD, so you're seeing everything at full detail, which is perfectly playable on modern hardware.

Similarly, the other improvements they added are now feasible on current hardware, whereas they wouldn't have been (if they were available at all) back in ~2004.

Nothing to do with "holding back", or "getting what you pay for". Everything to do with finding the best performance/quality balance for what most gamers were using at the time. So you can stop patting yourself on the back for "calling it", or whatever.
    Wizardry said:
    However FFXI sort of did the same thing,players figured out how to improve the graphics via registry tweaks.
    Overall the MMORPG industry is just so frustrating to watch,improving graphics on weaker games,design changes that leave me not wanting to play the games at all,terrible design decisions in newer games,there is VERY little choice for myself to find a quality well made game.
    As of this very day in 2018 i am still on that old fence of game play>graphics,i cannot accept most of the game play designs i am seeing in rpg's.
    FFXI's LoD approach was to set a low draw distance, so you wouldn't see all the holes in the landscape, or trees/mobs/objects rendered too far away. If you've used Windower and extended the draw distance, you could see, for example, empty holes below the mountains at the North end of East Saruta.

The Registry tweak you refer to doesn't improve the graphics/art themselves. It increases the resolution so things look a lot sharper/clearer. The textures and models themselves are still the same.

FFXI's deal was a registry hack found by players to make XI render at resolutions it wasn't designed to.
    GW1's update is merely a dev-implemented command-line argument that allows the game to render what's already there but previously hidden behind LoD.

Not the same thing.
    Sovrathkitarad