Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Extinction - Silithus at the Moment the Sword of Sargeras Hit Azeroth - World of Warcraft Videos - M

2»

Comments

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    BruceYee said:
    Nepheth said:
    Arskaaa said:
    u can buy least 2 60$ AAA game with 1 year wow sub. 15€ month need to go. they got already cashshop for max lvl boost with 60€ (lul). Think i spend like over 600€ for WoW with all expasions and subs. thats a lot money!
    So you can buy 2 AAA games which takes each of them 12-15 hours to complete. Hmm let me think... 1 year WoW sub which I play constantly and get new content patches every 2 months or 2 AAA games which gives me around 30 hours of fun. Yeah, thanks for proving Suzy's point.

FF14 is a lot more expensive then WoW with a cash shop but nobody talks about it. Eso is literally a p2p game in b2p disguise with one of the worst cash shops out there and again nobody cares. But when Blizzard sells a couple of reskinned mounts and pets in the shop people in this forum go nuts. 

Suzy I don't know how did you manage it but I never ever saw another mmorpg forum with this much WoW/Blizzard hate even in mmorpg sub reddit which is supposed to be a very toxic place. It is sad really... 

WoW is a 12+ year old game that still charges the same sub price it did when it launched along with full game price for expansions. ESO is 4 years old and FFXIV is 5 years old. I'm sure when ESO and FFXIV hit that 12 year mark people will feel the same way they do about WoW so let your heart not be troubled.
    Yeah, that "12+" year old game is still $15/month after 14 years, still updated regularly, has 14 years of content which no other mmo out there has, still has amazing graphics thanks to the graphic upgrades and after 14 years you can actually play it free if you really want. How could they do that right? You're beyond hopeless...
    MrMelGibson
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I like WoW and have played it off and on since launch.  I still come back for expansions I like.  I'd just play it more if there were no sub. 

But it is what it is.
    MadFrenchieBruceYee

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    SBFord said:
    BruceYee said:

WoW is a 12+ year old game that still charges the same sub price it did when it launched along with full game price for expansions. ESO is 4 years old and FFXIV is 5 years old. I'm sure when ESO and FFXIV hit that 12 year mark people will feel the same way they do about WoW so let your heart not be troubled.
    Pfft...no rise in sub price for 14 years? I'd say that's pretty decent. And...$15/month? I mean...really? You can see ONE movie for that price, buy a pack and a half of cigarettes and get a Big Mac meal --- all of which are one-time deals. For $15 / month, you can play 24x7 if you want. What other entertainment medium offers that type of bargain? LOL

Honestly, you don't like the sub price, you should neither play nor kvetch about sub prices for a game you're obviously NOT playing while in a thread that has ZERO to do with sub prices because it's about a fan-made video. * eye roll *

I was trying to make another person who's obviously upset feel better by pointing out that if those other games that he/she mentioned were as old as WoW and still operating by 2004 standards PLUS a 2018 cash shop AND RMT(transfers, race change, level boost etc) people may not be happy with them too.

For the record, I am subbed right now. Is it not okay to be unhappy with something and also support it at the same time.
    MadFrenchie
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Nepheth said:
    BruceYee said:
    Nepheth said:
    Arskaaa said:
    u can buy least 2 60$ AAA game with 1 year wow sub. 15€ month need to go. they got already cashshop for max lvl boost with 60€ (lul). Think i spend like over 600€ for WoW with all expasions and subs. thats a lot money!
    So you can buy 2 AAA games which takes each of them 12-15 hours to complete. Hmm let me think... 1 year WoW sub which I play constantly and get new content patches every 2 months or 2 AAA games which gives me around 30 hours of fun. Yeah, thanks for proving Suzy's point.

FF14 is a lot more expensive then WoW with a cash shop but nobody talks about it. Eso is literally a p2p game in b2p disguise with one of the worst cash shops out there and again nobody cares. But when Blizzard sells a couple of reskinned mounts and pets in the shop people in this forum go nuts. 

Suzy I don't know how did you manage it but I never ever saw another mmorpg forum with this much WoW/Blizzard hate even in mmorpg sub reddit which is supposed to be a very toxic place. It is sad really... 

Yeah, that "12+" year old game is still $15/month after 14 years, still updated regularly, has 14 years of content which no other mmo out there has, still has amazing graphics thanks to the graphic upgrades and after 14 years you can actually play it free if you really want. How could they do that right? You're beyond hopeless...
    I was actually trying to help you by pointing out a reason why some people(including myself) are unhappy with WoW vs those games you mentioned.

Also, "Let your heart not be troubled" is not something a person usually says to another to start a fight. Google it if you don't believe me because I am after all... "hopeless".
  • celtwulfceltwulf Member UncommonPosts: 61

SBFord said:

I'm utterly staggered by people who think 50 cents a day is "too expensive". You can't even by a 1-shot can of soda from a vending machine for that. :D It's a great bargain if it's your thing. If it's not, there are shit tons of other games, including tons of "free" ones out there. I'd warrant that many of those who play F2P games pay a lot more than $15/month for their "cosmetic" items and XP boost potions. ;)

Add in the fact that the sub price hasn't gone up in a decade? Maybe more? Honestly, you just have to be kidding. That's not even counting, of course, the fact that you can earn enough gold in game to NEVER have to pay a sub again. It doesn't take long to make a couple hundred thousand in WoW these days and it's all done just by playing, not farming.

I don't find the 2 years for an expansion outrageous either. When I get tired of it, I drop my sub and wait until it's interesting again. 

Honestly...just no words. Nothing in life is free, folks, except going outside and enjoying the view from your front ya...oh wait...still have to pay for the house, the lawn guy, the water to keep the lawn green and and and and and....see what I mean? :D :D :D

I agree 100%. When you actually sit down & do the math most people pay a good bit more than $15 a month for the F2P games. Now before anyone goes off I'm not insulting the whole F2P market, some are handled pretty decently, but the majority are junk. If you aren't a credit card warrior/whale you get left behind. This is all just my opinion though to each their own.
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    edited May 2018
    It's almost like all these people complaining about subbing during WoW's content droughts don't realize they can simply not sub till the next major update/expansion.

MrMelGibson
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523

BruceYee said:

Nepheth said:

Arskaaa said:

True, but it still actively being developed.  We can all argue about the efficiency of that, but you cannot argue with patch notes.

A sub fee feels up front to the customer.  It's no frills, no hidden fees, no surprises.  You pay $15, you know exactly what you get in return: the full game experience, with the possibility to partake fully in every gameplay system in the game.

There's something to be said about that kind of direct offer.  Customers hate hidden fees and surprise costs.

Still, no one really knows what that subscription fee is for. Mathematically it doesn't add up. Perhaps it is exactly what you infer, nothing more than a baby security blanket... a belief that so long as it exists, you're not possibly getting fleeced. Which is why the fee has never gone up.

It's like the Dominos Pizza Carryout Insurance... serves the exact same purpose... peace of mind... but is actually just pure profit for Dominos.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have absolutely no problem at al with the price Blizzard charges/sub fee whatever,i have a problem with their lack of game design quality and depth.
    I just noticed for some reason i still get a mini screen of an old PETOPIA website i used for Wow pets,i looked at it and thought man they managed to do pets in about the worst possible way.

I f you like pets ,get far away from Wow and do yourself a favor,FFXI does it a million times better and you can have a lot more versatility as well with the sub class system.

Blizzard puts more effort into their marketing campaigns,PR,advertising,videos than any part of ANY of their games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    btdt said:

BruceYee said:

Nepheth said:

Arskaaa said:

True, but it still actively being developed.  We can all argue about the efficiency of that, but you cannot argue with patch notes.

A sub fee feels up front to the customer.  It's no frills, no hidden fees, no surprises.  You pay $15, you know exactly what you get in return: the full game experience, with the possibility to partake fully in every gameplay system in the game.

There's something to be said about that kind of direct offer.  Customers hate hidden fees and surprise costs.

Still, no one really knows what that subscription fee is for. Mathematically it doesn't add up. Perhaps it is exactly what you infer, nothing more than a baby security blanket... a belief that so long as it exists, you're not possibly getting fleeced. Which is why the fee has never gone up.

It's like the Dominos Pizza Carryout Insurance... serves the exact same purpose... peace of mind... but is actually just pure profit for Dominos.
    With the expansion of the cash shop I'm thinking very few people actually only pay the sub fee.  The sub was probably once the main income source for the game but now with income from all the other games and investments, it's probably just the icing on the cake.
    SBFord

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    i was never really a fan of Silithus, since i hate bugs and the only thing i liked was AQ content and story

but, damn this video gave me a little bit of tears,

i think the last time i visited this area was like 2013 or something for an achievement purposes, and never been there since,

feelsss...

So What Now?

• CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205
    SBFord said:
    I'm utterly staggered by people who think 50 cents a day is "too expensive". You can't even by a 1-shot can of soda from a vending machine for that. :D 
    It's clear you never experienced living in the 3rd/developing world. There are countries in EU where the minimum salary is like 200 Euro. I know it is hard, but try to imagine paying 12EU from those on a game - when you need to also take into account food, housing, taxes. It's typical that students or fresh university graduates would receive the minimum for many months, even in "decent" jobs, as they have no choice, since work is scarce. I've had friends with Masters Degrees that were forced to work on the assembly line, and they received exactly that, minimum 200EU for 8 hrs/day on foot, while they would be qualified teachers or engineers. 

I'm always amazed how people can forget that the world is large, and that what might be worthless to you can be a treasure for another.

And that's still in the EU, not even gonna bother talking about Africa, and yes, there are people there that actually play games too.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

btdt said:

Torval said:

3dom said:

> Check it out and let us know what you think!

I think $15/month is too much for a game which updates once in two years.

It is but the alternative of where F2P and all the cosmetic cash shop bullshit now makes that $15/mo palatable. It took the rest of the industry taking an even lower road to drive that home for me.

To make up for it. I skip eating out for lunch once or twice a month and make my own.

It's really an interesting question... just where does one's subscription go?

Some believe it's for the content updates, some believe it's to cover the costs of running the servers, some believe it's for other infrastructure costs...

However, if it cost more to do stuff today than it did in 2004, then how come the subscription fee has never changed?  The cost of the expansions have been going up but not the subscriptions.  The total subscriber base month to month is far lower than it has been in years, and yet the subscription remains the same.  Then you have all their other games that share the same infrastructure that have no subscription fee associated with them.

Their expansions don't cost less than other game expansions, so you are not saving money by having a subscription tacked onto it.  You have other games that don't have subscriptions which run their servers and have support staff.  How is it that WoW requires a subscription to do the same?  If it is indeed for content updates, then if you add in that cost to the expansion cost (that claimed to include all those said content updates when you bought it), it is clearly a far far more expensive expansion than you initially realized.  Is it really cheaper than DLCs?  Or are you really paying more because whether or not there is any new content, you have to pay to play?

Blizzard charges you for the game, charges you to play the game, and has a cash shop on top of all that.  One has to wonder just what the subscription fee is really being used for, because it clearly can't be what we suspect it's used for because the fee has never gone up.  It may be nothing but pure profit.  That the game doesn't require a subscription at all, that the money made off sales and cash shop cover their costs in it's entirety... like with other games.

They were raking so much money in at one point and they still never boosted the content update schedule. They've never been good at parallel design in WOW anyway though.
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    I think it is wild that this person made such a great video that kind of put to shame a lot of the cinematics Blizzard creates. 
    SBFord
  • GameolioDanGameolioDan Member UncommonPosts: 50
    ... well ... damn
    G'day! Aussie guy that records videos of his gameplay. I stream gameplay too.

Youtube: http://youtube.com/c/gameoliodan
    Twitch: http://twitch.tv/gameoliodan
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    btdt said:
    Torval said:
    3dom said:
    > Check it out and let us know what you think!

I think $15/month is too much for a game which updates once in two years.
    It is but the alternative of where F2P and all the cosmetic cash shop bullshit now makes that $15/mo palatable. It took the rest of the industry taking an even lower road to drive that home for me.

To make up for it. I skip eating out for lunch once or twice a month and make my own.
    It's really an interesting question... just where does one's subscription go?

Some believe it's for the content updates, some believe it's to cover the costs of running the servers, some believe it's for other infrastructure costs...

However, if it cost more to do stuff today than it did in 2004, then how come the subscription fee has never changed?  The cost of the expansions have been going up but not the subscriptions.  The total subscriber base month to month is far lower than it has been in years, and yet the subscription remains the same.  Then you have all their other games that share the same infrastructure that have no subscription fee associated with them.

Their expansions don't cost less than other game expansions, so you are not saving money by having a subscription tacked onto it.  You have other games that don't have subscriptions which run their servers and have support staff.  How is it that WoW requires a subscription to do the same?  If it is indeed for content updates, then if you add in that cost to the expansion cost (that claimed to include all those said content updates when you bought it), it is clearly a far far more expensive expansion than you initially realized.  Is it really cheaper than DLCs?  Or are you really paying more because whether or not there is any new content, you have to pay to play?

Blizzard charges you for the game, charges you to play the game, and has a cash shop on top of all that.  One has to wonder just what the subscription fee is really being used for, because it clearly can't be what we suspect it's used for because the fee has never gone up.  It may be nothing but pure profit.  That the game doesn't require a subscription at all, that the money made off sales and cash shop cover their costs in it's entirety... like with other games.

Why does it matter where the money goes.  All $15 a month entitles you to is to play the game.  People spend $15 a month on the game because to them, the games entertainment value exceeds the monetary value of the $15 they spent on it.  If it doesn't for you, then don't sub to it.  You make it sound like it's not ok for them to turn a profit.

NephethMrMelGibson