Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft - Excessive Datamining in Alpha & Beta Destroys Motivation - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Herase said:
    laserit said:

It goes deeper than that.

IMHO It's the main reason that that people can level a toon in two weeks instead of two months and then complain that there isn't enough content.

It makes it impossible for developers to keep up and it makes certain kinds of progression meaningless and/or a waste of development time.

IMHO These things restrict design options. They make these games less fun for the ones who use these sights as well as the ones who don't.

IMHO there is more meaningless grinds because of data mining/ spoiler sites
    Pretty much, people know all the best leveling routes, people know the best ways to speed through dungeons, people know the lore, people know everything about the game before they've even played it. 

I saw a video by Preach which made me sad, he said "it's so cool running a dungeon without knowing the mechanics or whats going to happen next", I was thinking, that's great and all for you, but this is something we should be saying when playing the live game, not the alpha/beta and should be an experience for everyone, not just those who got Alpha/Beta access.  

People could say avoid it, but this is a multiplayer game, you're going to be affected by those who already know this information in some way.
    And that's why developers should stay ahead of players and design it differently. Instead of having puzzles or boss mechanics for players to solve the answers should be found in-game. If it's an MMORPG this could mean a gear check, or farming f.ex resistance gear, or having a certain item from a long quest chain. It should never be just 'you have to figure it out by yourself'.

Today you can find spoilers for any game within hours of its release, whether you like it or not. For single player games you have a choice of not look at it, but in multiplayer games you don't have that luxury. What concerns me the most is that developers seem to have taken the easy route and raise their hands up and say "No use to design any puzzles, we should include all helping tools in the game for convenience sake. The players will find them anyway".
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    No data mining is just one problem,it is Blizzard who ruins all of their games to the point i don't like ANY of their design decisions.

HOTS..too many heroes too much a game designed around balance.
    HS far too many design issues to start rambling on about.
    Wow don't like a single aspect of Wow design,i would not endorse a single system from Wow.
    Diablo...ARPG's in general are just awful and pretending to be rpg's is a slap in the face of anyone intelligent.
    Starcraft:I have friends who liked the game,to me it was just a cheap version of a Command n Conquer type game,visually unappealing,technically not my cup of tea.

I guess it would make sense since i come from an era of BEFORE Blizzard's popularity,so i was not influenced not coerced into believing Blizzard knows what they are doing.
    So DATA mining a problem,sure it is in games designs i actually enjoy,inside of Wow,what does it really matter if all the systems are boring and the economy is broken and the design caters to be an ANTI mmo as well immersion ruining on several scales,yeah tel me why data mining could possibly make Wow worse?
    Soki123

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Wizardry said:
    No data mining is just one problem,it is Blizzard who ruins all of their games to the point i don't like ANY of their design decisions.

HOTS..too many heroes too much a game designed around balance.
    HS far too many design issues to start rambling on about.
    Wow don't like a single aspect of Wow design,i would not endorse a single system from Wow.
    Diablo...ARPG's in general are just awful and pretending to be rpg's is a slap in the face of anyone intelligent.
    Starcraft:I have friends who liked the game,to me it was just a cheap version of a Command n Conquer type game,visually unappealing,technically not my cup of tea.

I guess it would make sense since i come from an era of BEFORE Blizzard's popularity,so i was not influenced not coerced into believing Blizzard knows what they are doing.
    So DATA mining a problem,sure it is in games designs i actually enjoy,inside of Wow,what does it really matter if all the systems are boring and the economy is broken and the design caters to be an ANTI mmo as well immersion ruining on several scales,yeah tel me why data mining could possibly make Wow worse?

Blizzard hater beyond reality. If you hate Blizz so much why do you care so much. Is it because they have huge success at almost everything they make. Let it go man, let it go.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2018
    After seeing content on BfA week after week after week since alpha, I'm already sick of most of the dungeons and the expansion isn't even live yet. GG Blizzard. Also, here's what you can look forward to when you start your adventures at 120 (TL;DR same junk you've been doing in Legion, with a couple of additions):
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I don't believe at this point it is the evolving lore that gets players to play wow. Wow is simply a min/maxers game today. Tailoring to the min/max crowd is blizzards way of tailoring to the group that will secure wow's future for another 10 plus years. With the rise of competitive gaming in the west and wow availability in china, min/max pve and pvp content will ensure that wow has a successful future. This virtually renders "leaks" to have no impact on playerbase.
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    I have beta invites for BoA and ESO Summerset that I have no interest in activating. I used to beta games and submit bug reports and contribute feedback on forums and all that, and never really had any result to show me that my involvement had made a difference in the final product. I just ended up spending enough time with the buggy, unfinished product that my interest in the polished final release died out sooner than it otherwise would have. I think my alpha/beta/early-release days are over.

Now what does suck to me is the difficulty of avoiding spoilers if you visit gaming sites, watch YouTube videos, or use social media. This is the way it is now with everything. It's been 2 weeks since Avengers came out and I still can't even glance at a mainstream site without having headlines and thumbnails plastered all over the place. 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Naryath said:
    I blame the millennials. 
    I agree!  The little shits.
    [Deleted User]

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited May 2018
    Nothing would make come back to WoW. I played for 2 months during its peak era (TBC/WotLK), and that was enough.

I absolutely HATE the forced faction system: you are either on team A or B and thats it. No freedom for the players when it comes to creating their own alliances/enemies.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    deniter said:
    Herase said:
    laserit said:

It goes deeper than that.

IMHO It's the main reason that that people can level a toon in two weeks instead of two months and then complain that there isn't enough content.

It makes it impossible for developers to keep up and it makes certain kinds of progression meaningless and/or a waste of development time.

IMHO These things restrict design options. They make these games less fun for the ones who use these sights as well as the ones who don't.

IMHO there is more meaningless grinds because of data mining/ spoiler sites
    Pretty much, people know all the best leveling routes, people know the best ways to speed through dungeons, people know the lore, people know everything about the game before they've even played it. 

I saw a video by Preach which made me sad, he said "it's so cool running a dungeon without knowing the mechanics or whats going to happen next", I was thinking, that's great and all for you, but this is something we should be saying when playing the live game, not the alpha/beta and should be an experience for everyone, not just those who got Alpha/Beta access.  

People could say avoid it, but this is a multiplayer game, you're going to be affected by those who already know this information in some way.
    And that's why developers should stay ahead of players and design it differently. Instead of having puzzles or boss mechanics for players to solve the answers should be found in-game. If it's an MMORPG this could mean a gear check, or farming f.ex resistance gear, or having a certain item from a long quest chain. It should never be just 'you have to figure it out by yourself'.

Today you can find spoilers for any game within hours of its release, whether you like it or not. For single player games you have a choice of not look at it, but in multiplayer games you don't have that luxury. What concerns me the most is that developers seem to have taken the easy route and raise their hands up and say "No use to design any puzzles, we should include all helping tools in the game for convenience sake. The players will find them anyway".
    Man what is it with so many of you saying this nonsense? "It's a multiplayer game so you don't have a choice not to get spoiled" Fuck are you talking about? Movies objectively have more fans/eyes on them and thus way more people putting spoiler information out there. Especially if you're not able to go see the movie opening night.

It's still relatively easy to not see spoilers of a movie, even one such as Infinity Wars. Barring you being in a completely unrelated forum/thread/etc and having that one asshole go "Yea, i agree Kanye is the best man on the planet, but Uncle Ben dies." to sneak in a spoiler.

But guess what, you never see that happening with mmorpgs. I have never, not once seen an mmorpg spoiler of any kind that i didn't want to because if i don't want to be spoiled, i know where to avoid going to be spoiled and that community stays within their communities.

Yes, you CAN find many spoilers within hours of its release, just by watching streamers even as they experience the content. But you act like its unavoidable and you're simply being beyond ridiculous if you actually believe that.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited May 2018
    SedrynTyros said: 
    Kabulozo said:
    Nothing would make come back to WoW. I played for 2 months during its peak era (TBC/WotLK), and that was enough.

I absolutely HATE the forced faction system: you are either on team A or B and thats it. No freedom for the players when it comes to creating their own alliances/enemies.
    I've never understood the dislike for the faction system.  If you want to create alliances then do so within your faction or make characters on the other faction if you so choose.  You have complete freedom and are not restricted to playing on one faction or the other, even within the same realm. 

Without that faction quarrel, the game would be a lot less interesting in my opinion.
    My first MMO was Lineage 1 which gives the players total freedom to create, merge or dissolve alliances. This system of 2 fixed enemy alliances was the worst experience I had in an MMO.

There is no such thing as alliance/faction-bound race, all races are neutral, its up to the players to form alliances and enemies.
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    Albatroes said:
    After seeing content on BfA week after week after week since alpha, I'm already sick of most of the dungeons and the expansion isn't even live yet. GG Blizzard. Also, here's what you can look forward to when you start your adventures at 120 (TL;DR same junk you've been doing in Legion, with a couple of additions):
    Umm... Then you know... How about don't look? This is not Blizzard's fault dude don't try to force it on them. It is all on you. Even though I'm an active WoW player and I follow all the damn leaks about the new expansion, I don't even know the dungeons' names yet. I never even watch a single leveling or dungeon video. And I'm not even trying. Like I said I follow a lot of youtubers on alpha and beta and I visit Wowhead daily to look for the expansion news. It's really not that hard...

Btw about your TL;DR, if it's not broke don't fix it. Legion was an amazing expansion. They changed a lot of things with Legion because WoD was basically shit. Some worked some didn't. But overall it turned out well. So it is not the case with Legion and the game doesn't need drastic changes with the new expansion. They removed the things that didn't work with Legion, they focused on the pvp which is the most broken content in Legion,  they included new features and new content and didn't touch the rest.