Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TheHiveLeader Heals the Devs in Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Pre-Alpha - Pantheon: Rise of the Falle

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,664
    Sovrath said:
    Thane said:
    i wonder how people can still be tempted by this stand and fight mechanics nowadays ^^
    Personally i prefer toe to toe combat over twitch...it wears me out to have to hop and jump around all the time.
    While I prefer more "action" combat in that if I hit I hit if I dodge, I dodge, I don't like the uber fast paced jump all around, zip here and there and cover everything with lights combat that some games have.

More like Mount and Blade or maybe even Dark Souls.

Toe to toe is fine with me as well.

Mount and Blade did have awesome combat, that was a blast.
    Sovrath
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    edited April 2018
    The gameplay, classes, and UI looked like something straight out of EQ. With better graphics.

This is a good thing in my opinion. EQ is, by far, my favorite MMORPG and I have been asking for nothing more than an EQ-like experience with improved graphics.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    edited April 2018

At some point, VR is going to need to appeal to a different market.  After all, those EQ1 and UO and AC players that abandoned the original old-school games aren't going to come back.  They have experienced new things, different things.  The light of nostalgia doesn't make the old ideas better, it has always been a short term phenomena.

Besides, what company wants to rely on a core market that has already proven to be so fickle?
    Fickle?

My wife and I still have active EQ subscriptions and log 20+ hours a week.

That may not be much compared to 10 years ago, when we spent 40+ hours a week raiding, but who has the time available that they did 10 years ago.
    LackingMMO

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 484
    Mikeha said:
    I feel sorry for people that have waited years following this game only to get this. :/
    What amazes me are the people who have openly said in their own words  "Pantheon is not for me" Yet every chance they get they have to reply to a Pantheon thread and keep repeating themselves over and over again... ha ha, I can only laugh and wonder what sheer amount of boredom must one posses to keep doing this. Why would they keep looking into a game that they do not want to play???? We get it, they want something "different" and "innovative" guess what, we don't. We want a new world that has the same mechanics and consequences and interdependence of classic EQ. 
    Iselin
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,408
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
     You just "blast through dungeons"? All dungeons? What dungeons?
    Well, off the top of my head, every dungeon area in Dungeons and Dragon's online and every open dungeon delve that I had been part of a group in Elder Scrolls Online.

When people are new at a game and don't have a lot of experience with the mechanics you need to go slower and strategize simply because you're not sure what to expect, what works and what doesn't. That is a function of unfamiliarity not game design.

This happens in ESO as well when you get new players doing a dungeon for the first time (a real dungeon, not delves :)) but you get an experienced group that has run this dungeon 10s of times and the speed of the run increase without a word being spoken about strategy simply because all know exactly what to do.

The only place in ESO where there are a lot of active conversations about strategy and tactics is in Cyrodiil PVP because the nature of that game play is emergent and each battle is different. Not everyone uses voice chat there but it is best because the situation can change quickly and coordinated fast reactions to new threats are needed.

That is an example of the type of game play that demands communication and it does so just as much now as it did 4 years ago. It does so organically and the speed of combat has very little to do with the need to do it.

If you think the slow pace of combat in Pantheon fighting against predictable canned AI is a secret sauce for players to once again start behaving in an MMO the way they did 20 years ago, I think you will be very disappointed. 

Kano has already told you how he and his mates plan of blasting through Pantheon the same way they blast through BDO. And they will do this simply because they will know what to do and what works since that is their motivation for playing alphas and betas: to learn how to go zoom.

Now you may think that he is the exception but in fact he's not. The reality will be that as you become more and more familiar with the game's canned AI behaviors your need to go slow and strategize will disappear. 

Now, the slow pace of the game will probably give you more time to talk about the weather in Peoria than the faster paced games do. This is true and it might be something some of you are looking forward to. Me? My preferred in game chat is game related. 
    Torval
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,816
    I feel that I don't fit in the modern gaming community sometimes. For me logging in a certain game and just "be there" is enjoyable.

I watch the scenary, listen the soundtrack, talk to npc's to check what they say about the world (even if it's not required). Once in a while I go back and them or "early level zones" just to see how are the things going.

I like to craft, I don't kill monsters just because and recently I started exploring the open sea in Black Desert because I thought would be fun and I had a blast when a whale jumped besides my ship, I was in awe. People said I shouldn't do that. People said I should be grinding bosses and making this and that to get more money. People said I should be playing the game like them.

It saddens me that some people thinks there is a way to play something. And restrict it's community to fit its standard. Both sides in this case.

Of course there are optimal builds and optimal guides to reach the most value out a certain system but said things are known because people explored, tried different things, saw the world.

So I kinda feel I don't fit in the modern gaming community sometimes. For me walking over there to see what's behind that hill is as much adventuring as killing a monster. And, if I want to know how to kill something or to do something I'll try myself or chat with a player, ingame. I don't want "read a guide or watch a video" as answer and Pantheon seems the game aiming for community *ingame* interactions, which I love.

I still have some problems with their material library and global light effects. But it's just my inner sassy designer blabbing like a bitter old man.

Gameplay wise I like what I see, and I hope they suceed making the tools and the systems to support such vision - and I hope I'll once again meet wonderful people who are enjoying being immersed in such adventure and world.

Because I kinda feel I don't fit in the modern gaming community sometimes - because logging in for daylies and do that LFD run so and so is not playing for me, it's a chore.
    blastermasterSovrath
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

Current playing: 
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Shadowbringers; EvE Online

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,132
    Gyva02 said:
    Mikeha said:
    I feel sorry for people that have waited years following this game only to get this. :/
    What amazes me are the people who have openly said in their own words  "Pantheon is not for me" Yet every chance they get they have to reply to a Pantheon thread and keep repeating themselves over and over again... ha ha, I can only laugh and wonder what sheer amount of boredom must one posses to keep doing this. Why would they keep looking into a game that they do not want to play???? We get it, they want something "different" and "innovative" guess what, we don't. We want a new world that has the same mechanics and consequences and interdependence of classic EQ. 

I feel the same way about you making a reply saying "Trion=Garbage" here,

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7263728/#Comment_7263728

Pantheon is still in development so I will continue to check out the progress and if I feel its garbage I say that its garbage just like you did. 

What you want does not matter. 

Welcome to mmorpg.com, 

Keep wondering and be amazed. ;)
    blueturtle13IselinkitaradGyva02
  • drivendawndrivendawn Member RarePosts: 2,144
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Letsinod said:
    Sorry but sitting down doing nothing during a fight isn't "hardcore". It is boring, period. Some old school mechanics were better left 15+ years ago.

As to the people who say they are going to sit around and plan strategies in groups I don't buy it. 20 years ago in EQ when I played the thoughts of internet chatting was still new. Now days I have multiple discord servers. People just don't socialize nowdays like they did then.

The whole sitting, stopping the group is not about "being hardcore". That's about resource management AND small spots for socializing.

Players don't socialize because there really aren't opportunities during game play for people to just chat.

People used to interact waiting for in game transportation. Incorporate fast travel and that is gone.

People used to chat during downtime. Take that away and that is gone.

People used to chat so they could arrange for a craft or ask for help with a mob or quest. Take that away and again, "that's gone.

As the Pantheon developers said, players will always take the "easiest" fastest route, easiest for xp if that is solo. That is why it's more of a group game.

For me, blasting through a dungeon at hyper speed is what's boring.
    There were many other early generation MMOs that didn't require sitting down. They were able to pull off resource management, socializing, and leaving a lot of room for chat. If modern chat channels are any indicator people have no problem taking the time to talk even in this modern day of "fast-paced gaming". So I'm not buying your answer. It's a "because I said so" answer, not factually grounded.

Lineage 1 didn't have downtime with sitting and it is still magniitudes more popular than L2. L2 adopted some of those EQ features, chasing the money. Notice how they've not added that feature to any games after that? Notice how virtually no developer, even the other old school hardcore mmo games, uses that feature? Because it's not actually a hallmark characteristic of old-school. It's just an EQ feature that no one else likes.

People used to chat a lot in games without sitting downtime. People still chat like crazy in games.  The evidence is in the chat channels. ESO, LotRO, WoW, Rift, AoC, SWL, and tons of other MMOs all have people chatting away and socializing. Go figure.

Again, people ask for crafted items all the time in chat and trade, unless the crafting system is useless. You just "blast through dungeons"? All dungeons? What dungeons? I mean, it's not likely you could be more vague and broad in your stereotyping. The point being you're directing a false narrative based on hyperbole, not fact. None of what you said is real everywhere. You can find an instance of it somewhere, but anyone can find several counterexamples anywhere.

My latest counterexample. I needed to get to Henneth Annun in LotRO and couldn't find my way there. World chat was too busy so I went to an old custom community chat channel and asked. I was given help and an answer. Yay! Socializing and gaming inside the game. People also ask for crafted stuff on Rift Prime in the trade channel which is buzzing.
    I see what your saying here and will add that many old school games had ways of allowing for socialization to happen in their games. One off the top of my head in AC was the Patron system.
    blueturtle13Torval
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,607
    edited April 2018
    Iselin said:

Now, the slow pace of the game will probably give you more time to talk about the weather in Peoria than the faster paced games do. This is true and it might be something some of you are looking forward to. Me? My preferred in game chat is game related. 
    I have no doubt that those people who want to rush to end game will be there.

I do think that given the type of game this is, the level of graphics/art design it's going to attract those people who are happy to play a game but also talk about the weather in peoria. Sure, I suppose it will also attract hardcore raiders like Kano but will he and people like him stay?

This has more to do with types of people who play these games. edit: of which there are several types.

As I've said before, I"m not a "gamer" and don't really like the word. The people I usually play with really like games but also talk about other things.

This is not to say that one shouldn't be engaged with game play but different groups of people are going to have different motivations for playing.

I remember being in Vanguard and there was an mmorpg.com guild and it really was too diverse. I would be in a group of people and all of a sudden someone would come into chat and complain that people were taking too long to level and he wanted to get to high level stuff.

I was helping people on the island and was happy to do it. I then realized that such an open guild was a huge issue as there would be so many people with such diverse interests that it wouldn't be possible to cater to them all.

One of the reasons why we always say "find a good guild of like minded" people.
  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,949
    Mikeha said:
    Gyva02 said:
    Mikeha said:

Pantheon is still in development so I will continue to check out the progress and if I feel its garbage I say that its garbage just like you did. 

Welcome to mmorpg.com, 

I take absolutely no issue with how this game's pace or combat is because I love Everquest and want a game like that with updated graphics but bravo @Mikeha you have just managed to catch a hypocrite in their behaviour.

This is what absolutely annoys me about certain posters who come on the BDO threads and throw their contempt and disdain and then they get upset when the same thing happens on the thread of their beloved game. Thank you for doing this.
    Gyva02

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,948
    Iselin said:

Kano has already told you how he and his mates plan of blasting through Pantheon the same way they blast through BDO. And they will do this simply because they will know what to do and what works since that is their motivation for playing alphas and betas: to learn how to go zoom.

Now you may think that he is the exception but in fact he's not. The reality will be that as you become more and more familiar with the game's canned AI behaviors your need to go slow and strategize will disappear. 
    Regardless whether the pacing of combat or the tab-target RNG skill style is appealing, you and Kano nailed how MMO gamers play now. At least that is my experience with Rift Prime. I went in expecting people to take their time and really chew on the content this time, not chew through it like drive-thru fast food.

It was a serious WTF moment for me. I don't know why I assumed people would want to take the slow path. Maybe because "the sub" and the opportunity to enjoy a fresh server let me delude myself that people still enjoy playing that way. I can't blame people for wanting to play that way or Rift for accommodating, but it's sort of a deal breaker for me.

I don't blame the people who want downtime or slow-paced "molasses in December" combat in their old school. I think it's a bad direction to take because it's niche-within-a-niche feature. I'd like to play another PvE centric MMO so I give my feedback regarding those features even if the EQ fans hate it. I have Project Gorgon which isn't as pretty but has rock-solid gameplay and an MMORPG community.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,949
    edited April 2018
    True ,true @Torval the way people play games have indeed  gone through a drastic change and 'stop and smell the roses' has never even occurred to any of them. Sad though because there are so many details people miss in the art and style in a dungeon and it saddens me because I feel sorry for the people who spent months adding that detail and beauty to the dungeon.

I am playing Path of Exile now and I scroll in and look at stuff and smile especially the antics of the monkey on Navali's shoulder or on each subsequent trip to a boss after my 15th charcter yes , I am a nutcase keep on making new characters so many great builds . Husband says this is the perfect game for an altoholic like you. I keep noticing new things about the decor.
    Torval

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,948
    edited April 2018

I see what your saying here and will add that many old school games had ways of allowing for socialization to happen in their games. One off the top of my head in AC was the Patron system.
    A couple other examples I can think of.

Lineage had this really cool place called "The Mother Tree". Only elves could go to the MT without being attacked. Elves had their own sub-community within the larger community. 

PG has something like this with the animal forms and that entire world of existence. It is an interesting sub-community of the willing and unwilling. :lol:
    drivendawn
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

edited April 2018
    Mikeha said:
    Gyva02 said:
    Mikeha said:

Welcome to mmorpg.com, 

Trion is Garbage and I'll never touch another one of their games ever again. The difference is I played Archeage because their lies conned me into doing so. Their shady behavior is why I think they are garbage. You on the other hand have not played Pantheon and have already decided its not for you. If Pantheon started out being like classic Everquest which is what they are telling us, then started changing the game into cash grab disaster I then would think Visionary Realms was complete garbage as well...  That's the difference, so I'll keep being amazed that folks who already know a game is not for them stick around to bash it over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, yes...  :wink:
    jimmywolf
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,657
    edited April 2018
    Some comments here mirror the worries I have had with Pantheon all the way, that it would be a p1999 clone instead of a modernized game based on the best from eq while "fixing" the bad (spiritual successor).
    I have played eq emulators and progression servers regularly through the years, even in 2018.
    Though some of my most memorable moments have been in groups and I like that kind of game to some degree, groupgrind is not something I want to do all day every day and it wasn't 15 years ago either and in fact I remember eq being very open to alternative gameplay (aka not hardcore grouping). Grouping was never the main driving factor that I clocked 1500 days in eq over the years, grouping was some of it and then the other 75%. To be honest, outside of raiding, LDoN runs or other intensive situations, I have not played a character without at least 1 box on the side since 2002, because it is just too boring in the long run. Boxing, like it or not, was the fix to boring single character combat in eq - Boxing should not be in Pantheon, and that means the problem that caused boxing needs to be addressed.

Eq2 tried to make combat more interesting and in small details and moments it was ok but generally a fail, Vanguard took combat a little further making it more fun to play a single character with decent success, and Pantheon needs to do this even better. They HAVE to fix the problem with boring combat if they want a little broader audience (even an audience of old eq players). It is not impossible that could happen, it is just the worry that I have had all through the project, that the devs have the stuck mindset I see with p1999 fans, that are blind to this exact problem - No one will fix a problem if they don't see it as one. It is of course just my hopes projected here, and I am sure if it turns out to be a p1999 clone there are some (a fraction of old eq players) who will find that to be perfect, but I think there are many players new and old not that far up the road, hoping Pantheon will reach them.

So anyways, watching this kind of group play can be worrying because it is kindda boring at this point. So the problem now is, Pantheon still has the potential to improve from what we see now into something interesting group combat wise (nothing fundamentally in the way), it is just at the moment no one can tell if it will. Isn't it exciting times ?

FangrimMendel
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,408
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:

Regardless whether the pacing of combat or the tab-target RNG skill style is appealing, you and Kano nailed how MMO gamers play now. At least that is my experience with Rift Prime. I went in expecting people to take their time and really chew on the content this time, not chew through it like drive-thru fast food.

It was a serious WTF moment for me. I don't know why I assumed people would want to take the slow path. Maybe because "the sub" and the opportunity to enjoy a fresh server let me delude myself that people still enjoy playing that way. I can't blame people for wanting to play that way or Rift for accommodating, but it's sort of a deal breaker for me.

I don't blame the people who want downtime or slow-paced "molasses in December" combat in their old school. I think it's a bad direction to take because it's niche-within-a-niche feature. I'd like to play another PvE centric MMO so I give my feedback regarding those features even if the EQ fans hate it. I have Project Gorgon which isn't as pretty but has rock-solid gameplay and an MMORPG community.
    Those damn achievers... they're everywhere! :)
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
    DMKano said:
    Gyva02 said:
    Mikeha said:
    Gyva02 said:
    Mikeha said:

Welcome to mmorpg.com, 

Trion is Garbage and I'll never touch another one of their games ever again. The difference is I played Archeage because their lies conned me into doing so. Their shady behavior is why I think they are garbage. You on the other hand have not played Pantheon and have already decided its not for you. If Pantheon started out being like classic Everquest which is what they are telling us, then started changing the game into cash grab disaster I then would think Visionary Realms was complete garbage as well...  That's the difference, so I'll keep being amazed that folks who already know a game is not for them stick around to bash it over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, yes...  :wink:

What if - hypotheticlly speaking - Trion ends up publishing Pantheon?

Would you play it?
    Absolutely no way would I play it if they got a hold of it... Their grubby greedy paws couldn't resist the temptation to destroy it with a cash shop along with all their other horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE, management decisions... 
  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,873

Saicred said:

Saicred said:

PS - I'll try to answer some more questions directly as well. Ask away!

Who are you?  Why should I ask you questions?

No one, and just thought I'd be friendly. Sorry for the offer.

Yeah don't be friendly around here, people are very dubious of friendliness.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,607
    Tiller said:

Saicred said:

Saicred said:

PS - I'll try to answer some more questions directly as well. Ask away!

Who are you?  Why should I ask you questions?

No one, and just thought I'd be friendly. Sorry for the offer.

Yeah don't be friendly around here, people are very dubious of friendliness.
    I think it was more a general question.

Was this person a developer, are they in alpha (and does that mean they have a NDA they need to observe) do they work for the company, etc.

Mendel
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited April 2018
    Sovrath said:
    Thane said:
    i wonder how people can still be tempted by this stand and fight mechanics nowadays ^^
    Personally i prefer toe to toe combat over twitch...it wears me out to have to hop and jump around all the time.
    While I prefer more "action" combat in that if I hit I hit if I dodge, I dodge, I don't like the uber fast paced jump all around, zip here and there and cover everything with lights combat that some games have.

More like Mount and Blade or maybe even Dark Souls.

Toe to toe is fine with me as well.

You would enjoy Kingdom Come: Deliverance (or did I get the name backwards??)!
    Torval

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,132
    edited April 2018
    Gyva02 said:
    Mikeha said:
    Gyva02 said:
    Mikeha said:

Welcome to mmorpg.com, 

Trion is Garbage and I'll never touch another one of their games ever again. The difference is I played Archeage because their lies conned me into doing so. Their shady behavior is why I think they are garbage. 

Then why do you keep clicking on articles about Trion or their games? 

I have played ArcheAge and I think its one of the best mmos available.  Trion seems like a good publisher. Do you think people that enjoy Trion and their games want to see people like you constantly posting in their topics saying Trion is garbage? 

This is what they mean by " What goes around comes around " ;)

edited April 2018
    Mikeha said:
    Gyva02 said:
    Mikeha said:
    Gyva02 said:
    Mikeha said:

Welcome to mmorpg.com, 

Trion is Garbage and I'll never touch another one of their games ever again. The difference is I played Archeage because their lies conned me into doing so. Their shady behavior is why I think they are garbage. 

Then why do you keep clicking on articles about Trion or their games? 

I have played ArcheAge and I think its one of the best mmos available.  Trion seems like a good publisher. Do you think people that enjoy Trion and their games want to see people like you constantly posting in their topics saying Trion is garbage? 

This is what they mean by " What goes around comes around " ;)

Because the folks at Trion are lying con artists. Had they presented the game from the beginning as a credit card whale warrior game I never would have looked at it twice. I sure as hell would not have stayed in the forums saying how the game was no good and they needed to do this and change that to appeal to me. I would have seen quickly that nope this game isn't for me it's time to move on.

Now that's not what happened, they conned people in with lies, then those people got invested in the game and Trion changed the rules and added all the cash conveniences in the middle of it. And yeah I got vocal a few times after that as I was pissed and I believe rightly so. I believe its wrong to deceive people, you know to tell them one thing and then do another. But if you like it how it is then that's great. If you're the kind of gamer that enjoys the things Archeage is doing then that's awesome, play your game and have fun. 

But don't stay in the forum of a game you know you are not going to like, whats the point of that? I hate lots of new games that just came out and are coming out but there's no point in going to those forums and telling them "their way of doing things is of no interest to me" Their game is their game, they can make it how ever they want, but lying and deceiving is another story and I'll be sure to voice that if Pantheon we're to do the same to me as Trion did. 

I also don't mean to throw this all at just you, I see so many people who know this kind of game is not for them. They say over and over again the slow combat is boring but I have to laugh because that is exactly what its going to be all about. Classic EQ was very slow combat. It was all about Crowd Control and burning them down before they burned you down. It was a very slow one mob at a time (most times) battle. Attacks exchanged slowly so you could interact with what was happening. Should I heal, do I have enough time for that, should I just attack, maybe I need to root it and just run, and many, many more possibilities within each encounter. The combat has to be really slow for this to work. If its just like WHACK and its down there's no time to have these awesome decisions making opportunities. That's just how Classic EQ was, and that's how they are advertising Pantheon so I'm 100% on board as I LOVE this kind of play. If the slow combat is not your gaming vibe or flavor, Pantheon is not for you is all I'm saying... 

Post edited by Gyva02 on
    Fangrim
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 36,350
    Letsinod said:
    Sorry but sitting down doing nothing during a fight isn't "hardcore". It is boring, period. Some old school mechanics were better left 15+ years ago.

As to the people who say they are going to sit around and plan strategies in groups I don't buy it. 20 years ago in EQ when I played the thoughts of internet chatting was still new. Now days I have multiple discord servers. People just don't socialize nowdays like they did then.
    So with more in and out of game communication channels than ever before in history......players don't bother to communicate.

Weird.
    Torvalblueturtle13Nyctelios

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Teak2112Teak2112 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    The point a lot of people are missing in the whole 'people dont want games like EQ anymore' is that we don't know for sure, because no one has tried since 1999.  Vanguard was quite a bit different than EQ, and it was a technical disaster that wasnt properly finished on top of that.

No game has come remotely close to EQ's group mechanics since 1999.  The way class toolkits interacted hasnt been seen since (some classes have used ability chaining things but its not the same thing at all).

While I think things such as downtime arent what made EQ great, it will be nice to have resource management matter again.
  • Teak2112Teak2112 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:

Rift was a fast food MMO to begin with though.  It was about the fast path from the start.  The last game I can think of that wasnt designed to rush to max level to start the end game grind was, ironically, WoW.

Vanilla servers will be interesting.   The game that now caters to the go go go crowd had its root in a much slower paced game.   WotLK is where WoW really started catering to a different style of player.