Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

/r/starcitizen wins first place

Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
When it comes to gaming subreddits where downvotes > upvotes.

http://www.vocativ.com/354146/the-worst-place-for-dissenting-opinions-on-reddit/index.html

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
The cake is a lie.

IselinBabuinixErillionMaxBaconBeansnBreadNepheth
«1

Comments

  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    edited April 2018
    Aug 26, 2016

    and not even 1st place. you spent some time looking for proof that SC community is bad mkay....lol. Do all these downvotes suggest the community is bad? or that SC has most number of idiotic and obsessive trolls attacking it?

    I wonder if this thread creation holds any clues :smirk:
    ErillionEldurianrpmcmurphyConstantineMerusMaxBacon[Deleted User]Phry[Deleted User]noncley
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,612
    edited April 2018
    That 3 years old data (based on 2015) so it hit on the same timeframes of the DS drama "90 days tops" where the media was all over the supposed imminent collapse of SC and the scam/vaporware dramas, the "crash and burn" articles and so, considering that, no surprise the SC sub hit dozens of the most downvoted threads of that year on Reddit. heh
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    ErillionrpmcmurphyPhry[Deleted User]
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I'm not surprised to see the sub feature on that list, it can be an absolutely awful place, a good representation of the vocal side of the community, toxic through and through...

    :wink:
    ErillionMaxBaconPhrynoncley
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 3,965
    I believe it's only featured there because it's been brigaded by the huge wave of dumb-wits who trolled and hated on the official forums and got banned so they turned to r/starcitizen back in 2015 lol

    Glad to see them getting the same treatment on r/starcitizen even after all these years.
    That scum has no place in Star Citizen or any other game community.

    Let them grieve and mourn along the goons and ed forum where they belong lol
    rpmcmurphyWalkinGlennDarkpigeon
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Max Bacon left this in another thread and it perfectly sums up the toxicity surrounding this game:



    It's also important to know that the developers pissed off Goon Swarm who are widely regarded as the largest group of griefers and trolls within gaming, and are well known for massive propaganda campaigns.

    At this point I doubt the majority of the trolls are GS (Though I would bet money on the fact that some of them are) but controversy has a way of taking on a life of it's own if there is someone regularly stirring the pot.


    ErillionBabuinixrpmcmurphy[Deleted User]Phry
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,254
    >>> majority of the trolls are GS >>>

    Many also from 4chan now (although 4chan membership might be even less PC than usual after Toronto).

    Many of the cheapskates cannot afford (do not want to afford) the SA.com paysite.

    Those are goons, not Goons. They might think different.


    Have fun
     
    rpmcmurphy
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 3,965
    Eldurian said:
    Max Bacon left this in another thread and it perfectly sums up the toxicity surrounding this game:



    It's also important to know that the developers pissed off Goon Swarm who are widely regarded as the largest group of griefers and trolls within gaming, and are well known for massive propaganda campaigns.

    At this point I doubt the majority of the trolls are GS (Though I would bet money on the fact that some of them are) but controversy has a way of taking on a life of it's own if there is someone regularly stirring the pot.
    Most of them are not even original Goons, they are just angry backers and bitter folks who didn't understand what they were backing and  just ended up paying the lowtax so they could have a safe place to hate on Star Citizen and it's backers while feeling less lonely with the fact that they got trolled hard lol.

    It's the beauty of it, Star Citizen, Chris Roberts, Sandi, Ben Lesnick, put up with the goons when it suited them and while it was convenient and them kicked them in the rear ass when they didn't need them anymore. It's perfect really, in a way the goons and many angry backers contributed deeply to make Star Citizen what it is today!

    Thank you Citizens!

    Rest of the trolls are mostly lowspec players who cant run the game and frustrated elite fanboys envious of space legs and atmospheric planets lol
    rpmcmurphy
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Reads like an incel forum.
    noncley
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,612
    edited April 2018
    But oh yeah I remember the mess that it was the goons and trolls attacking the SC sub back then constantly, just to instigate drama and provoke the backers as much as they possibly can.

    Eventually, the whole thing became, downvote and move on. In fact this is still a controversy today where many point fingers at the sub moderators because they refuse to ban obvious goons/trolls .

    Things are quite quieter now, but Reddit userbases themselves are rather meh, it's so often a mob mentality where either they are angry at something or happy at something and you can't swim against the flow without backlash.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Eldurian said:
    Max Bacon left this in another thread and it perfectly sums up the toxicity surrounding this game:



    It's also important to know that the developers pissed off Goon Swarm who are widely regarded as the largest group of griefers and trolls within gaming, and are well known for massive propaganda campaigns.

    At this point I doubt the majority of the trolls are GS (Though I would bet money on the fact that some of them are) but controversy has a way of taking on a life of it's own if there is someone regularly stirring the pot.


    The toxicity is coming from within the game but most of its defenders can’t see that they are the source
    ErillionMaxBacon
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited April 2018
    It's an objectively and demonstrably false statement that the game's defenders are the source of the problem.

    This is not the only game I follow. I follow several games that are currently in development. I behave the exact same way on every single forum. Come there with legitimate questions and concerns and I'll engage you in a civil and intelligent discussion. Come there and start hurling insults at the game while making no attempts to engage in productive discourse and I will treat you as a troll.

    And it's not just me, it's everyone in these communities. This is why Aron_Swordmaster and Blorpykins get a lot of resistence from the SOTA community. This is why Slapshot gets a lot of resistance practically everywhere he goes. These people troll those communities by bashing their game over and over and over and then the community meet them with equal hostility as they do here.

    It's called karma. You reap what you sow.

    Star Citizen is no different than any other community in these regards. They only difference is there are more trolls. Meaning YOU, the trolls, are the cause of the problem.
    Darkpigeon
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Eldurian said:
    It's an objectively and demonstrably false statement that the game's defenders are the source of the problem.

    This is not the only game I follow. I follow several games that are currently in development. I behave the exact same way on every single forum. Come there with legitimate questions and concerns and I'll engage you in a civil and intelligent discussion. Come there and start hurling insults at the game while making no attempts to engage in productive discourse and I will treat you as a troll.

    And it's not just me, it's everyone in these communities. This is why Aron_Swordmaster and Blorpykins get a lot of resistence from the SOTA community. This is why Slapshot gets a lot of resistance practically everywhere he goes. These people troll those communities by bashing their game over and over and over and then the community meet them with equal hostility as they do here.

    It's called karma. You reap what you sow.

    Star Citizen is no different than any other community in these regards. They only difference is there are more trolls. Meaning YOU, the trolls, are the cause of the problem.
    I don’t know who Aron or blorpy are but slapshot tends to call it correctly, at least in the forums I’ve followed them in. Slap has been called troll and many other terrible names and they have generally been proven right in enough time.

    The problem with the star citizen defenders is many of them will see criticism, even constructive criticism, and immediatly call the person a troll or a hater or scum or any other name in the book. If you don’t have nothing but praises for the game then you will be attacked at some point for your opinion even if posted with evidence to back up your position.

    The defenders will overlook any amount of lies or half truths told by CIG and give them a free pass because “it’s alpha” Or “it’s never been done before” and yet when someone points out the obvious that CIG said this and then did the opposite that person is attacked.

  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I've been attacked for constructive criticism of almost every game community I've taken part in. Again, not unique to the Star Citizen community.

    As you pointed out Slap has been called a troll all over the place. I've actually never seen him on the SC forums or if I have I've forgotten it. But I have seen him on the forums of nearly every game that has sold anything through a Kickstarter bashing them all as pay-to-win. His anti-kickstarter crusade comes off as trollish to me, and obviously it does to all these other communities as well.

    To say that Star Citizen community is the cause of the problem you would have to show they are more apt to hop on constructive criticism than members of any other gaming community. I am quite sure a detailed and unbiased study of this would yield that there is no major difference.

    The difference in the number of trolls on the Star Citizen boards vs. other boards is immediately apparent though.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I would like to chime in because myself included,this has NOTHING to do with Star Citizen,that is just a game,a bunch of computer code,this is all about Chris Roberts and how MANY perceive him as a businessman and CEO/owner of SC.
    The game itself doesn't control anything,weather the game is great not so great,terrible is again out the game's hands,this is all about Chris.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,612
    edited April 2018
    I agree with @Eldurian, the trolls and haters are in the center of the problem, being attacked for having constructive criticism I have been, in all MMO communities I have been, when my opinion goes "against the flow" or touches controversial subjects, there are always people who are aggressive when you share dissent in the center of a fanbase.

    The SC community has endured through more hate and trolling than I have ever seen before, the large majority of trolling and hate came from outside the community, those people have helped polarizing discussions to a ridiculous level, such as I mentioned before, how often the community has been attacked and provoked intentionally to get a rise out of backers by bringing the same beaten topics over and over and over and over and over again. What those people with legit and constructive criticism are, is caught in the middle of that mess, a situation that also gave toxic people easy scapegoats to exploit at their will.

    Gladly, that whole situation toned down, and its peak was indeed 2015 when we had "DS 15 minutes of fame" plus other situations all at once around the same time the goons gladly jumped in to fuel a fire of epic proportions.

    This type of discussion is irrelevant, for those who play Star Citizen, know the real community behind this game, from what we see in-game to the cool culture that was created surrounding SC, such as the bar citizens all over the world, a community that cares about the game helps a lot on making the in-game experience much better to all, and that is what really matters.
    Eldurian
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 2,892
    MaxBacon said:
    That 3 years old data (based on 2015) so it hit on the same timeframes of the DS drama "90 days tops" where the media was all over the supposed imminent collapse of SC and the scam/vaporware dramas, the "crash and burn" articles and so, considering that, no surprise the SC sub hit dozens of the most downvoted threads of that year on Reddit. heh
    Is still a scam/vaporware "game". Listen, when you will actually have a GAME to play called SC ( Star Citizen , not Speed Crush ) , then you will have the right to defend it. Now all you defend are some words, scripts, voice-overs  .. for over 6 years now. That is vaporware and a scam, since they took funds from people to fund their "game".

    The most, a game have spend in the ..vaporware "era" , was DarkFall , for 9 years which eventually, has been released, as a fail game of course. That is the path which SC will follow. 
    BabuinixDarkpigeon

    Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,612
    edited April 2018
    IceAge said:
    My opinion is that SC is a scam/vaporware "game"
    There fixed that, and no need for another circular discussion, I'll just disagree. ;)
    BabuinixDarkpigeon
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited April 2018
    IceAge said:

    Now all you defend are some words, scripts, voice-overs  .. for over 6 years now. That is vaporware and a scam, since they took funds from people to fund their "game".
    Not only is it just his opinion bacon man. It's flat wrong.

    Arena Commander / the PTU includes prettymuch all the content that was available in Freelancer plus ground combat and racing.

    They have a playable game at this point. It may be buggy. It may need a few more things to be compelling for a lot of people. But to say it's words, scripts and voice-overs is best case incredibly ignorant, and worse case a flat lie.
    Erillion
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Eldurian said:
    IceAge said:

    Now all you defend are some words, scripts, voice-overs  .. for over 6 years now. That is vaporware and a scam, since they took funds from people to fund their "game".
    Not only is it just his opinion bacon man. It's flat wrong.

    Arena Commander / the PTU includes prettymuch all the content that was available in Freelancer plus ground combat and racing.

    They have a playable game at this point. It may be buggy. It may need a few more things to be compelling for a lot of people. But to say it's words, scripts and voice-overs is best case incredibly ignorant, and worse case a flat lie.
    Whhooooaaaa.  I loved Freelancer.  It was a released game with a story complete from beginning to end.  I haven't played the PTU. . but are you saying that it has a story line etc?  Are you just referring the the technical aspects of the game?

    Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,270
    Face it, they have mastered the method of gaining millions of dollars without having to have a game....Whenever they want more money they just put another ship up for sale
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited April 2018
    Aethaeryn said:
    Eldurian said:

    Not only is it just his opinion bacon man. It's flat wrong.

    Arena Commander / the PTU includes prettymuch all the content that was available in Freelancer plus ground combat and racing.

    They have a playable game at this point. It may be buggy. It may need a few more things to be compelling for a lot of people. But to say it's words, scripts and voice-overs is best case incredibly ignorant, and worse case a flat lie.
    Whhooooaaaa.  I loved Freelancer.  It was a released game with a story complete from beginning to end.  I haven't played the PTU. . but are you saying that it has a story line etc?  Are you just referring the the technical aspects of the game?
    Not the storyline but they have missions, inter-base trading, PvP / Piracy, and working shops. Essentially everything found in Freelancer multiplayer minus the mining, but we all know FL mining was trash. And mining / salvaging is the next major content type due for release.

    Combine that with the fact you can get out and walk around planets, engage in combat on the ground, and do racing in Arena Commander and you actually have more content than Freelancer multiplayer did. Iron out the bugs and you've already surpassed a game I often describe as one of the best games ever.
    Darkpigeon
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Eldurian said:
    I've been attacked for constructive criticism of almost every game community I've taken part in. Again, not unique to the Star Citizen community.

    As you pointed out Slap has been called a troll all over the place. I've actually never seen him on the SC forums or if I have I've forgotten it. But I have seen him on the forums of nearly every game that has sold anything through a Kickstarter bashing them all as pay-to-win. His anti-kickstarter crusade comes off as trollish to me, and obviously it does to all these other communities as well.

    To say that Star Citizen community is the cause of the problem you would have to show they are more apt to hop on constructive criticism than members of any other gaming community. I am quite sure a detailed and unbiased study of this would yield that there is no major difference.

    The difference in the number of trolls on the Star Citizen boards vs. other boards is immediately apparent though.
    Slap has come across as trolling to you but yet the forums I’ve followed him in he’s been right I think everytime. He’s been called a troll for posting negative sentiment against Kickstarter games and then is vindicated in the end when he is right

    A detailed an unbiased study lol good luck with that. 
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 40,767
    Kefo said:
    Eldurian said:
    I've been attacked for constructive criticism of almost every game community I've taken part in. Again, not unique to the Star Citizen community.

    As you pointed out Slap has been called a troll all over the place. I've actually never seen him on the SC forums or if I have I've forgotten it. But I have seen him on the forums of nearly every game that has sold anything through a Kickstarter bashing them all as pay-to-win. His anti-kickstarter crusade comes off as trollish to me, and obviously it does to all these other communities as well.

    To say that Star Citizen community is the cause of the problem you would have to show they are more apt to hop on constructive criticism than members of any other gaming community. I am quite sure a detailed and unbiased study of this would yield that there is no major difference.

    The difference in the number of trolls on the Star Citizen boards vs. other boards is immediately apparent though.
    Slap has come across as trolling to you but yet the forums I’ve followed him in he’s been right I think everytime. He’s been called a troll for posting negative sentiment against Kickstarter games and then is vindicated in the end when he is right

    A detailed an unbiased study lol good luck with that. 
    Yeah, Slap gets tagged a troll because he's harsh on underfunded KSers who over promise despite lacking the funds, talent or experience as well as little to show for their efforts.

    Yet he avoids SC, CF and Ashes, likely because they don't exhibit any of the characteristics that set him off.

    BTW it's not trolling if its true. Saying SC and CU are well past their promise date is accurate, and the fact at this point neither game is willing after 5 years to publish a target delivery date is indefensible, at least from a customers point of view.  
    rpmcmurphyKefoMadFrenchiecmacq

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,254
    >>>
    at least from a customers point of view.  
    >>>

    I AM a paying customer in that case. And i do not mind.

    I never cared about the launch date, only that it will be an awesome Sci-Fi game. A sentiment shared by almost all SC backers i know personally.


    Have fun

    MaxBaconKyleranEldurian
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Eldurian said:
    To say that Star Citizen community is the cause of the problem you would have to show they are more apt to hop on constructive criticism than members of any other gaming community. I am quite sure a detailed and unbiased study of this would yield that there is no major difference.

    The difference in the number of trolls on the Star Citizen boards vs. other boards is immediately apparent though.
    That's precisely what the chart demonstrates though. The reason they are highest in the chart compared to other games is a reflection of how happy they are to downvote, it's not an indication of how many trolls target Star Citizen otherwise you'd hear all the other communities crying the same.

    Games like dota and lol are quite often referred to as having toxic playerbases so we can expect the subredit to mirror that. Gamergate, soccer and politics are all very divisive topics so we can expect downvotes to be used as a way to silence opposing opinions.

    But Star Citizen is supposed to be innocent and it only happens because it is targeted by a disproportionate numbner of trolls compared to everything else on the list.... yeah right, pull the other one :)

    Even the subreddit where this occurs is more accepting of the situation than people here.
    MaxBaconOrinoriDarkpigeon
Sign In or Register to comment.